Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > The Darky Awards 2: Electric Boogaloo
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
The Darky Awards 2: Electric Boogaloo [CLOSED]
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#51 Posted: 19:31:19 16/11/2014
You know at this point I'm just tired of all this. Tired of seeing harmless things turned into something more volatile through one error that can be conceived as offensive based on a different spelling. Tired of seeing these arguments. And tired of seeing derailments caused by this one man.

I see the point. And I don't see why everyone is treating it as if it's nothing. But I also don't see why this is being made into something when the spelling is different and it's clearly in reference to something else.

Quote: Wild
Please refrain from making unnecessary comments about Unclebob, and anyone else, that does not contribute to the discussion, it only derails the thread and the discussion at hand

Please do not encourage the use of racial slurs.

So then are we changing the name or not? Maybe if we do everyone will shut up and it gets back on track.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:33:13 16/11/2014 by CAV
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#52 Posted: 19:38:53 16/11/2014
in before the lock
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6100
#53 Posted: 19:40:30 16/11/2014
Quote: CAV
You know at this point I'm just tired of all this. Tired of seeing harmless things turned into something more volatile through one error that can be conceived as offensive based on a different spelling. Tired of seeing these arguments. And tired of seeing derailments caused by this one man.

I see the point. And I don't see why everyone is treating it as if it's nothing. But I also don't see why this is being made into something when the spelling is different and it's clearly in reference to something else.

Quote: Wild
Please refrain from making unnecessary comments about Unclebob, and anyone else, that does not contribute to the discussion, it only derails the thread and the discussion at hand

Please do not encourage the use of racial slurs.

So then are we changing the name or not? Maybe if we do everyone will shut up and it gets back on track.

I don't see why we really have to just because one guy gets butthurt. They were the Darky Awards last year and things were just fine. It's in reference to DarkSpyro and Dark52 and for the most part everyone gets that.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#54 Posted: 19:42:45 16/11/2014
Unclebob winks dick dastardly award
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#55 Posted: 19:46:41 16/11/2014
Wasn't there an award for the user who talked to/bothered Dark the most?
Or am I thinking of the times we were doing achievements?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:50:56 16/11/2014 by wspyro
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#56 Posted: 19:47:33 16/11/2014
Here's the deal - I don't know HIR. I know we have a lot of folks here from outside the US. I do not know how common "darky" (in any spelling) is as a racial slur outside of the US. Apparently, as one member pointed out, some folks here in the states aren't familiar with it.

My initial post was, simply, to make sure HIR was aware that it's a pretty offensive word to quite a bit of people. At no point did I think he meant it as a casual racist slur and at no point did I imply that he was being insensitive by using it.

With all that said, like I stated in an earlier post, a simple change in the name would, in no way, have a negative impact in the purpose of this thread. I seriously do not believe a single person would feel insulted by something like "Sparkies" or whatever else HIR comes up with. Is anyone's feelings hurt by his use of "Darky"? Probably not. The key word being probably. I can't speak for everyone on this forum and neither can anyone else here. There may be those who find it offensive, but just aren't inclined to speak up - and, instead, just leave.

It amazes me how many folks here are okay with actively trying to drive away, run off, and ban users of these forums, instead of just trying to be more welcoming.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:49:09 16/11/2014 by UncleBob
AmethystRose Yellow Sparx Gems: 1132
#57 Posted: 19:49:23 16/11/2014
There should be a Seductress Award...I would probably be voted the winner. smilie
Also, geezus, UncleBob, it was meant for no harm or offensive matter. Calm down man.
---
ϟ Break my heart, break me til I fall apart. ϟ
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:50:49 16/11/2014 by AmethystRose
#58 Posted: 19:53:23 16/11/2014
Quote: Seiki
I don't see why we really have to just because one guy gets butthurt. They were the Darky Awards last year and things were just fine. It's in reference to DarkSpyro and Dark52 and for the most part everyone gets that.

That one butthurt guy is set to derail the thread and constantly arguing with him is only going to get the whole thing shut down, rather than simply have the name changed. There's no point in trying to argue with Bob. He's not necessarily right since the racial slur he refers to uses a different spelling than this (and that racial slur is also rather rare to hear other than in possibly the deep south), but at this point it would just be easier to change the name and get everyone to calm the **** down.

The awards won't be taken away if you change the name. You still get your award. The awards will be taken away if you continue to argue this with someone who clearly doesn't know how to stop, and the entire thing gets locked.

If this was any other user I'd be saying otherwise. But Bob will keep this running for 4 more pages if he has to and it's just not worth the trouble.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:54:24 16/11/2014 by CAV
#59 Posted: 19:58:57 16/11/2014
Quote: CAV
He's not necessarily right since the racial slur he refers to uses a different spelling than this (and that racial slur is also rather rare to hear other than in possibly the deep south),

Dude - all alternate spellings are pretty common. In fact, I linked right to Wikipedia. But, if you would prefer a more reputable source:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Darky?s=t
Quote:
noun, plural darkies. Older Use: Now Offensive.
1. a term used to refer to a black person.

Quote:
But Bob will keep this running for 4 more pages if he has to and it's just not worth the trouble.

Aside from my original post (which was merely making sure HIR was aware), every single one of my posts in this thread has been a direct reply to someone who has posted to or about myself. If people don't want to have a conversation with me, they can stop talking to me or about me at any time they wish.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:59:26 16/11/2014 by UncleBob
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#60 Posted: 20:00:10 16/11/2014
Quote: UncleBob
[cut]

I seriously do not believe a single person would feel insulted by something like "Sparkies" or whatever else HIR comes up with. [cut]

It amazes me how many folks here are okay with actively trying to drive away, run off, and ban users of these forums, instead of just trying to be more welcoming.

1. As Darky was meant as a direct reference to this site, and that any word can be taken as offensive, your point is nonexistent.

2. HYPOCRITE ALERT
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:03:26 16/11/2014 by weebbby
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#61 Posted: 20:00:36 16/11/2014
Guyslet'sjustignorehimandtrytobringthisbackontopicokay~
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
#62 Posted: 20:01:36 16/11/2014
Oh heyyyy look let's vote on the awards, guys, Avatari is right. smilie
---
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#63 Posted: 20:02:40 16/11/2014
Boy, that escalated quickly.
---
#hu
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6100
#64 Posted: 20:03:01 16/11/2014
Quote: AvatariDragon

Don't feed the trolls......

So... I wonder if HIR will do like last time and still post the results of each award one at a time hours or possibly days apart or since all categories are given at once maybe do most of the results back-to-back in rapid succession to one another...
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#65 Posted: 20:03:24 16/11/2014
Quote: weebbby
1. As Darky was meant as a direct reference to this site, and that any word can be taken as offensive, your point is nonexistent.

Any word *can* be taken as offensive. Sure.

Some words have a deep history seeded in hatred and racism. Those are the ones that we should be cautious about using.

Again, aside from some unfounded fear of "giving into political correctness", can anyone here come up with a justifiable reason to keep the name as-is?

Quote:
2. HYPOCRITE ALERT

If you hold the opinion that I'm trying to drive folks away from the forum by making sure someone using a racial slur is aware that it is a racial slur, then I'll wear that badge.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:06:13 16/11/2014 by UncleBob
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#66 Posted: 20:04:25 16/11/2014
Can you find a largely justifiable reason to change it? No.
Why not? Because it was ensured to be a direct reference to this site, and being used as an adjective to awards doesn't really even reference racism at all.

That was not was I was saying. I was giving a direct response to this:
"It amazes me how many folks here are okay with actively trying to drive away, run off, and ban users of these forums, instead of just trying to be more welcoming."
In other words, that is something you do very often.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 20:09:11 16/11/2014 by weebbby
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#67 Posted: 20:06:53 16/11/2014
Go away uncle bob you sound like tumblr came out of its cave.
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#68 Posted: 20:08:31 16/11/2014
Quote: Seiki

Don't feed the trolls......

So... I wonder if HIR will do like last time and still post the results of each award one at a time hours or possibly days apart or since all categories are given at once maybe do most of the results back-to-back in rapid succession to one another...

I was wondering that too. I was hoping he would do per day. Kinda add some excitement to your day!
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#69 Posted: 20:09:22 16/11/2014

Quote: AmethystRose
Oh heyyyy look let's vote on the awards, guys, Avatari is right. ^^

As much as I agree with you two (Trust me here I absolutely agree here). It's Bob with an ignoring problem too. Honestly he should really move on and ignore us like he should. I'm pretty sure since not a lot of people are directing their comments at him and talking to other users about him, proves that point. This topic should probably be closed, and started off with different topic with the same subject of the awards.

And perhaps a warning from a mod about derailing topics to the derailer (The one who started the derailment) would be nice too. Because him derailling all the no so harmful topics is getting ridiculous and needs to be shackled.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#70 Posted: 20:10:27 16/11/2014
Quote: weebbby
Can you find a justifiable reason to change it? No.

Again - the word is historically an offensive racial slur and carries a lot of baggage with it. Just because a bunch of white privileged folks aren't offended by it, it doesn't mean it's okay.

Quote:
That was not was I was saying. I was giving a direct response to this:
"It amazes me how many folks here are okay with actively trying to drive away, run off, and ban users of these forums, instead of just trying to be more welcoming."
In other words, that is something you do very often.

I have only one time asked for someone to be banned and that was explicitly when someone said they would ban someone for an action - and even then, I knew he wouldn't follow through.
#71 Posted: 20:14:08 16/11/2014
If you people keep ****ing arguing with him the entire thing is going to be locked and there will be no awards for anybody. It will be just as much your fault as it is his.
#72 Posted: 20:15:02 16/11/2014
The Comeback Kid Award
Aura

The Dick Dasterdly Award
UncleBob

The WALUIGI Award
somePerson

The Eon Duo Award
zer0 and Avatari 'cause bffffffs xD

The Activity Level = Richard Simmons Award
somePerson

The Yoshi Award
Amethyst

The “It’s a @#%$ing Number Sign!” Award
____ is gay

The KARAOKE SUPERSTAR Award
CAV

The Golly Gee Award
thumper

The Brutal Honesty Award (Created by BrutalBash101)
zer0

In Memoriam
Toynerd
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 01:04:42 17/11/2014 by AvatariDragon
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6643
#73 Posted: 20:17:50 16/11/2014
Uncle bob for The Dick Dasterdly Award!
---
Gay 4 GARcher
I-Brawler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3565
#74 Posted: 20:18:10 16/11/2014
The Rule 63 Award (Created by Dragons-go-hrr)

Ash Starkindle

The Metal Baby Pink Gold Tanooki Rosalina Award

Core
---
you never saw me
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:21:10 16/11/2014 by I-Brawler
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#75 Posted: 20:47:00 16/11/2014
The Comeback Kid Award
ExtremeSpyro

The Dick Dasterdly Award
UncleBob

Zerod0ch

The Yoshi Award
ShadowMewX

jackie_boo

Spyro Fanatic

The Skylanders Award
Dark Pit

awesomerockets

The Unsung User Award
Project_Unnamed

The Suggestion Box Superhero Award
Aura24's "Guidebook Update?" and my "Quote Informer"

The Golly Gee Award
Thumper

The Gold Star Award
Clayface

Zerod0ch

The Platinum Joystick Award
The Official All Purpose Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS topic V2!

The Equal Representation Award
Everything we know about Trap Team

The Party Like It’s 2008 Award
why did you choose your current signature?

The Achievements in Creative Commons
Spyrobaro's art.

In Memoriam
gnarlytreesnex
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8600
#76 Posted: 21:33:34 16/11/2014
UncleBob, this is the FIRST time the name usage has ever started anything. You talk about the n-word and it's offensiveness to blacks, when I see them use it as a greeting all the time. You want to try changing people using racial slurs? Go to blacks who use it AS A GREETING then. The Darky awards have been running for YEARS now, are here to stay.

Try taking CM Punk's advice

Also, GJ derailing the thread smilie

Also, I know black people on this site that do not have a problem with the name smilie
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 21:40:29 16/11/2014 by JCW555
#77 Posted: 21:41:19 16/11/2014
You are 100% correct. Two whole years does equal years. It's a long, deep rooted history in the annuals of mankind.

Unlike the history of the word "darky" (in all spellings). That's just something I made up now off the top of my head to derail this thread.

JCW - if you are concerned about the derailment of a thread, then why would you post a giant youtube video in it that is totally unrelated.
#78 Posted: 21:45:38 16/11/2014
I'm not going to argue with you. Bottom line is this. You're narrative is trying to take a harmless awards thread (on DARKSpyro) and turning it into a racially charged thing. You're making this racial. Not anyone else.

Also the YouTube link was a half joke half serious.
---
#79 Posted: 21:49:39 16/11/2014
Geezus effing criminy christmas.
♪ Let it go! Let it go! ♪

The marriage topics. Good lawd.

The Skylanders Award
Wolfgang.

The Unsung User Award
Project_Unnamed

MrMorrises

Five Nights at Freddy's

That is all.
---
#80 Posted: 21:53:31 16/11/2014
Quote: JCW555
I'm not going to argue with you. Bottom line is this. You're narrative is trying to take a harmless awards thread (on DARKSpyro) and turning it into a racially charged thing. You're making this racial. Not anyone else.

And yet, I'm not. As I've said many times, the goal was to make sure that the OP was aware of the historical usage of his chosen word.

I can't help it that one of the first replies was "Hey, say ******. It's fun!" It went downhill from there.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8572
#81 Posted: 21:57:55 16/11/2014
Isn't Darkie toothbrush?
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#82 Posted: 22:00:20 16/11/2014
I think UncleBob did this just to get the dick dastardly award...
---
Dead
#83 Posted: 22:01:11 16/11/2014
Yes, it was (well, a toothpaste, at least).
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#84 Posted: 22:31:26 16/11/2014
omg what the heck happened here? Let me just say that I can not stand to hear or see racial slurs. I just don't see it here. unclebob, this darky award was here last year and no one I mean no one was offended about the award title. I see no racial slur what-so-ever, please calm down, alright? I'm not being mean at all, I'm just saying you're taking this way to far.
#85 Posted: 22:38:47 16/11/2014
Quote: thumper
omg what the heck happened here? Let me just say that I can not stand to hear or see racial slurs. I just don't see it here. unclebob, this darky award was here last year and no one I mean no one was offended about the award title. I see no racial slur what-so-ever, please calm down, alright? I'm not being mean at all, I'm just saying you're taking this way to far.

I made one comment, a polite one, pointing out the meaning of the word to someone that I have no idea if they know the word's history. Beyond that, I've simply replied to posts made towards/about me.

As I've said, many times over, but some folks refuse to understand, I do not believe HIR meant the term as a racial slur, in any way, shape, or form.

As for saying no one was offended last year, can you say you speak for every single individual who was on the site last year? Some people are hurt/offended and they don't always speak up. Was anyone offended? I do not know and do not pretend to know - and since I don't think I'm some kind of all-mighty despot, I'm not going to try and claim otherwise.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:40:22 16/11/2014 by UncleBob
#86 Posted: 22:45:45 16/11/2014
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=94942

^ Here is the first Darky awards. 14 pages. Not one person brought up the name's history. People were also really happy with the awards.
---
#87 Posted: 22:50:37 16/11/2014

Not one person brought up the name's history.

As for saying no one was offended last year, can you say you speak for every single individual who was on the site last year? Some people are hurt/offended and they don't always speak up.

From now on, whenever someone tries to make a point I've already addressed, I think I'll just quote myself. If they didn't read it the first time, why should I put effort into stating it again?
#88 Posted: 22:51:46 16/11/2014
Avatari nominates Avatari for having the cutest avatar, even if that isn't a category~
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:52:06 16/11/2014 by AvatariDragon
#89 Posted: 23:09:07 16/11/2014
Last time I'm posting in this thread to you UncleBob. You forget one word. Connotation. Do you think that two blacks saying the n word to each other as a greeting is offensive (e.g. What's up, my n****?). No. Is the darky awards on a site named darkspyro to give users fake awards offensive? No?

Look, I know the historical significance to the black community the word darky/darkie is. Same as the n-word. But blacks are sort of changing the connotation of the n-word to mean a greeting. I've also see blacks greet whites as "n****, and vice-verse. Do you not think that words can change their meaning overtime?

Bottom line is that this is harmless fun, can we agree on that, please?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:10:31 16/11/2014 by JCW555
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8572
#90 Posted: 23:15:12 16/11/2014
UncleBob is raciest for making such a commotion about blacks.
eruptshake137 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1436
#91 Posted: 23:16:57 16/11/2014
The Lady Gaga Award
ZapNorris

The Janet Jackson Wardrobe Malfunction Award
Shad'me

The Comeback Kid Award
Aura

The David Copperfield Award
SpyroBaro

The Dick Dasterdly Award
UncleBob
Gnarlytreesnex 1&2

The WALUIGI Award
SomePerson

The Eon Duo Award
DragonCamo+Seiki

LunarDistortion

The Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE! Award
Hardcoreignitor

The Yoshi Award
Beavcoon

WWEPUNK

The Nercomancer Award
Gnarlytreesnex 1&2

Whirlwind Fan

R.I.P.

The Skylanders Award
wreckingballbob

gnarlytreesnex 1&2

The Unsung User Award
Samus

CommanderGame

The Golly Gee Award
Seiki

The Gold Star Award
SkylandersGamer

Zerodch

the five nights at Freddy's topic

The “Remember the 90s!” Award
No vote

The Equal Representation Award
No vote

The Party Like It’s 2008
The ______ vs._______ topic

The “Level 60 Wizard, WITH MELEE ABILITY!” Award
Fandom seeping into reality

The Carpal Tunnel Award
No vote

The Achievements in Creative Commons
No vote

In Memoriam
NINJAsk
ToyNerd14
---
Prepare for trouble. Make it double.

CATS
#92 Posted: 23:24:50 16/11/2014
Last time I'm posting in this thread to you UncleBob. You forget one word. Connotation. Do you think that two blacks saying the n word to each other as a greeting is offensive (e.g. What's up, my n****?). No. Is the darky awards on a site named darkspyro to give users fake awards offensive? No?

I understand that it wasn't intended to be offensive. That's why I simply posted a message to make sure OP was aware that he chose a terribly offensive racial slur for his thread title. If I had thougbt he meant to be offensive, we'd be having a totally different conversation.

Quote:
Bottom line is that this is harmless fun, can we agree on that, please?

Yes... and no.

Let's say you're a younger individual of color. You grow up in a white bread (literally) community. You probably have to deal with racism (intentional, casual, accidental, systematic) every day. So, you find an escape. Video games are a good escape - they develop your thought processes and your hand-eye coordination. So you play video games. You get into Skylanders. It's pretty popular - and you want to try and fit in with the kids at school, right? So, you play Skylanders - and you still don't *quite* fit in with the rest of the kids at your school. So, you go online. The internet is an amazing place - and, here at DarkSpyro.net, we've got a pretty amazing crew of people that, generally, I'm proud to be one of. So, young kid of color comes to this site and starts hanging out. Maybe he/she lurks for a bit, posts once or twice. Who knows.

Then, one day, after a particularly bad day at school, he/she comes home, logs in, and is greeted with this:
[User Posted Image]

Maybe he/she clicks into the thread and see what it's really about. They see that it's meant to be a play on the name of the site, with absolutely no malice or bad intentions - just a fun topic where users of the site can get along and make jabs at one another. (We'll leave out the part where a user says it's fun to use that other racial slur).

But maybe they don't click into the thread. All they see is a thread title, with a word known deeply to them as an intimate racial slur, created by a person of authority on the site.

You know the most amazing part about this all is? This is the same site where, not once, but TWICE, I've gotten blasted by users because of the concept of "generic masculine" pronouns. Something that I didn't create and is just how grammar works - and, just as here, there's absolutely no bad intentions when myself or most normal people use "generic masculine" pronouns... but, it's like you've ran over someone's puppy when you dare use "he" to describe someone you know nothing about. Meanwhile, none of those users are bothering to say anything now - when there's the same idea, no bad intentions. Except, here, history is on the side of "darky" being a negative word, while the "generic masculine" is nothing but how grammar works.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:33:30 16/11/2014 by UncleBob
#93 Posted: 23:32:58 16/11/2014
somebody gnorc unclebob
#94 Posted: 23:33:20 16/11/2014
Back on topic.

I doubt I'd get any awards this year smilie
---
#95 Posted: 23:36:41 16/11/2014
If I'm lucky I walk away with comeback kid and nothing else.

EDIT:

You know the most amazing part about this all is? This is the same site where, not once, but TWICE, I've gotten blasted by users because of the concept of "generic masculine" pronouns. Something that I didn't create and is just how grammar works - and, just as here, there's absolutely no bad intentions when myself or most normal people use "generic masculine" pronouns... but, it's like you've ran over someone's puppy when you dare use "he" to describe someone you know nothing about.

If this actually happened while you all constantly try to brush this incident off then you people are hypocrites.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:39:50 16/11/2014 by CAV
Underian Emerald Sparx Gems: 3095
#96 Posted: 23:38:07 16/11/2014
are darky awards edible
#97 Posted: 23:39:07 16/11/2014
Back on topic.

I doubt I'd get any awards this year :(

Actually, I was thinking about nominating you for the "Suggestion Box Superhero Award". Your post on the suggestions forum of "It HIS Website. He can do whatever the hell he wants." was pretty much the best thing posted there all year. :D
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6643
#98 Posted: 23:41:09 16/11/2014
Quote: Underian
are darky awards edible

Yes, you should try it.
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#99 Posted: 23:41:22 16/11/2014
Quote: LunarDistortion
Aura24's "Guidebook Update?" and my "Quote Informer"

Quote: eruptshake137
The Comeback Kid Award
Aura

*gasp*
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me