Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > I Think It's Safe to Say That Skylanders is Hyped like Pokémon
Page 1 of 1
I Think It's Safe to Say That Skylanders is Hyped like Pokémon [CLOSED]
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#1 Posted: 02:48:04 12/05/2014 | Topic Creator
I mean, if this keeps up, we can see something like THIS:
[User Posted Image]
(The Excitement is Still Strong, Cheezburger)

I know Skylanders has mostly just a kids audience right now, but all we need to do is replace Pokémon with Skylanders, and we're set!
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#2 Posted: 03:05:42 12/05/2014
I would find a fire proof shield.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#3 Posted: 05:26:40 12/05/2014
Sure people are hyped about Skylanders, but not as much as Pokemon I can assure you that.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#4 Posted: 05:52:33 12/05/2014
lol not even close
#5 Posted: 12:31:15 12/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Well, Skylanders is just starting out. Right now, its hype level is as small as Pokémon's hype level was when POKÉMON was starting out.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:45:43 12/05/2014 by LocoGuy107
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#6 Posted: 13:02:07 12/05/2014
Skylanders fans don't even post Skylanders stuff everywhere,even outside of their section(the odd Skylanders thread here doesn't count,it's General so it's in theory Spyro anything), to begin with. I think the fandom you're looking for is bronies. Or you're just exaggerating because you hate the series.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#7 Posted: 23:22:48 12/05/2014
Quote: LocoGuy107
Well, Skylanders is just starting out. Right now, its hype level is as small as Pokémon's hype level was when POKÉMON was starting out.

Well actually after the first (possible few) hit(s) people wanted more pokemon. Heck Topeka actually renamed their town to "ToPikachu" for one day and that day was when Pokemon first came to the US. don't tell me that Skylanders is now about as hyped as Pokemon, because by default it's not.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#8 Posted: 05:00:14 18/05/2014
Skylanders is the modern day Pokemon, yes. But unlike Pokemon, Skylanders didn't capture a large fanbase outside of the target demographic.

Nor did it have a hit TV show and card game to boot.
#9 Posted: 05:08:25 18/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV
Skylanders is the modern day Pokemon, yes. But unlike Pokemon, Skylanders didn't capture a large fanbase outside of the target demographic.

And we ALL know the reason why that is:

[User Posted Image]

But this isn't bothering me as much as it used to. In fact, the Skylanders Spyro hate is practically dead, now.
#10 Posted: 06:52:37 18/05/2014
Well that can be easily over looked. I think it's Skylanders system like release every year (like what pokemon is actually doing right now) and Disney Infinity fans. I'm just guessing here.
---
icon from Empoh
uttster13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2701
#11 Posted: 14:49:41 18/05/2014
Skylanders is hyped, but like everyone else said, it's not even close.
We know the series is just starting to branch off into different directions, but it can't get to Pokémon's level.
I love the game, and I would love to see all the hype, but there isn't that much, unless you're just talking to a group of kindergarteners.
---
A story.
eruptshake137 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1436
#12 Posted: 14:58:40 18/05/2014
Quote: CAV

To be honest, I didn't think activision knew that 30 year olds would be buying characters "for their children".
---
Prepare for trouble. Make it double.

CATS
uttster13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2701
#13 Posted: 15:15:04 18/05/2014
All the guys the work at my local GameStop brag to mothers - with young children - that they own every character.
Sad, sad middle aged men.
---
A story.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#14 Posted: 23:00:55 22/05/2014
Some rep said during a SWAP Force demo that part of their plan actually was to get adults into the game as well, but the problem is that they keep making decisions in regards to the games that ignore the adult playerbase, like not adding online mode, not adding patches to bugs etc. (presumably because of kid safety, and because some kids wouldn't have access to them?). Not adding online is ridiculous, and while the only progress-stopping bug we had was on the Wii version of SA, there has been demand to fix other issues like Quest glitches and Accolade glitches in Giants and SF which Activision has simply stayed quiet about.
(Side-note- Aus players cannot access the online server for SF on the PS4. This means that we cannot unlock a Platinum Tropy were you need to connect online and check the online message of the day. The creators have not fixed this, despite people asking about it and despite them revamping the online message of the day service for all other systems and countries. They continually leave us in the dust, also only just releasing the first part of Wave 4, when it came out two months ago for the US- it killed my enthusiasm for actually playing SF again.)

Also, SF just has a really immature feel to its story compared to SA and Giants. Those weren't bleak by any stretch of the imagination, but did have some maturity and kept fairly consistent lore, and SA had a clever concept in the Portal Master thing and actually used it well (in breaking the fourth wall and such). The way every single character in SF acts and is introduced is simply silly, but not in a good way (imo the only characters who weren't bad were Shellshock and Glumshanks- I'd like to go over why I think the case of everything being silly is bad in this case but that's another argument), the story has a couple of annoying plotholes, and it didn't bring back the "Portal Master Magic" (aka immersion) from SA, all of this making it feel like VV couldn't be bothered to improve the story and make it more enjoyable and actually interesting. The game essentially tosses aside lore from the last two, ignoring Hugo and Cali outside of two cutscenes, for instance (as well as Kaos's Mom pulling a huge Deus Ex Machina for herself during her boss battle, clashing with previous lore). As a whole, the storytelling in SF lacks any depth, and it just isn't interesting or used well.

The gameplay additions are going along fine for each entry, although the game should have more longevity, and there are things which should have been added ages ago that still haven't. Aforementioned online mode, for instance. There are a lot of small changes that could be made- like adding the ability to turn off all cutscenes- although my main niggles with the gameplay largely stem from the mediocre storytelling (there are a lot of other things too, but that was the main thing that bugged me in SF). The immersive kind of storytelling in SA is what made it unique and actually made me play through it, it gave it heart, and the sequels lack that. However, the core gameplay concept is fine (but like I said, some tweaks, like making more levels per game or revamping the checkpoint system somehow, wouldn't hurt and could be good additions...), apart from how grindy it can be. (But TFB said they were going to make it easier to level in TT so I'm going to bet that it will be less grindy than SF was and that they'll balance that better, also that's avoidable really)

[/rant]
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 23:23:09 22/05/2014 by Arc of Archives
#15 Posted: 00:49:56 23/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Wow. Got this from a hardcore Skylanders fan.

Anyway, I don't know those two Skylanders' intro cutscenes. Believe me, though, if there's ever to be a new Spyro game that features a Skylander, the only legit one that would fit is Flashwing, in my opinion.
Chibilove Green Sparx Gems: 400
#16 Posted: 19:12:04 23/05/2014
oh god, resetti...
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ChibiMadness&sclick=1
Loneliness is a disease that can lead to death They might as well be the same thing
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#17 Posted: 19:53:08 23/05/2014

You didn't even bat an eye long enough at the series, you're just assuming things like the whole reason for this topic. There are at least 10 dragon-type characters now and probably there are more on the way. Making your entire opinion off something a fan said and a few things you glanced at is foolish to say the least.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#18 Posted: 22:57:31 23/05/2014
Wow. Got this from a hardcore Skylanders fan.

Anyway, I don't know those two Skylanders' intro cutscenes. Believe me, though, if there's ever to be a new Spyro game that features a Skylander, the only legit one that would fit is Flashwing, in my opinion.

*facepalm* Shellshock and Glumshanks aren't Skylanders. They're NPCs in the game. I'd understand if you didn't know about Shellshock since he appears around the middle of SF but you clearly haven't looked into Skylanders much (yet keep trying to poke at it) if you don't know that Glumshanks is the main villain's butler (he's been there since SA, and IIRC he's even in the intro cutscene for that game). I wasn't talking about Skylanders' intro animations being too silly, I was talking about how the NPCs act in cutscenes, and talking about the game's narrative.

Also, as much as I harped on there, it doesn't mean that I don't love the games. I stick around because I really do enjoy the gameplay and what's been added in each game even if I think it's gotten worse in aspects, and I like playing with each new Skylander, and messing around with each game's gimmick, and exploring the worlds. I didn't say anything about it being overhyped either. I hope you weren't assuming that I hated or thought the game was severely overhyped... I just like to constructively criticise things (which includes things I enjoy- heh, I'm surprised I haven't wrote about that).
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:00:22 23/05/2014 by Arc of Archives
GillGrunt4Ever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1681
#19 Posted: 12:49:54 02/06/2014
Hey! That mole dude with the pick-ax looks like Resetti from Animal Crossing!
---
Check out my new FanFic, Skylanders: Civil War!
smilie smilie
#20 Posted: 19:33:30 02/06/2014
Quote: GillGrunt4Ever

It's edited gif. Of an animal crossing anime (fan made I believe). And yes tis Resetti.
---
icon from Empoh
#21 Posted: 23:11:07 02/06/2014
Quote: Trix Master 100

It's edited gif. Of an animal crossing anime (fan made I believe). And yes tis Resetti.

It's actually a legit movie that released in theater's in Japan.
---
#22 Posted: 00:00:29 03/06/2014
Quote: parisruelz12

Oh. Well I wish to watch it now. Because Resetti is silly when not yelling at you.
---
icon from Empoh
#23 Posted: 02:50:43 03/06/2014

Oh. Well I wish to watch it now. Because Resetti is silly when not yelling at you.

You can find it with a simple Google search. smilie
---
#24 Posted: 03:45:53 03/06/2014

You can find it with a simple Google search. :)

Thank ^w^
---
icon from Empoh
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#25 Posted: 11:07:46 21/07/2014
Like everyone else said, there's no way Skylanders will ever reach the hype that Pokemon has because Skylanders has a large younger audience as opposed to a massive, universal audience that Pokemon has.

Unlike Pokemon, which has been going on for YEARS now, and has numerous spinoffs, in terms of the show, card game, other games, etc, Skylanders is just getting started. The closest Skylanders has gotten to getting into other mediums is some kids novels and a few mobile games. Until Skylanders can find a way to target a much widespread audience, which some other users also mentioned is probably going to take awhile because they can't exactly do that with a concept like this, it will probably be never overhyped.

Skylanders may be the CoD of kids games, but I have yet to see an entry in the series ever get overhyped.
---
Cool cool.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me