Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > rumors of possibles Spyro/Skylanders game?
Page 1 of 1
rumors of possibles Spyro/Skylanders game? [CLOSED]
dragonsoul13 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1047
#1 Posted: 00:54:48 07/03/2014 | Topic Creator
First off I'm going to say that I don't believe anything unless it's confirmed by the creator's source. But I've heard rumors of a new Spyro game as well of rumors of a Skylanders 4.

My breakdown:

New Spyro game:

Personally a new Spyro game would be awesome, I'd love something that continued after the events of A Hero's Tail. I say A Hero's Tail because I doubt that Activision will be revisiting the Legend's universe. Though anything is possible.

Now for the rumors I've heard, I heard of a title called Spyro: The Prophet of Deceit. I heard that it's date is set for 2016 and will be for PS4 and Xbox one, as well as 3ds and Wii. I've also heard that it would be about Spyro facing off with one or more new villains and that it would revolve around some sort of dragon civil war.

Skylanders 4:

I heard of something recently about a racing game titled "Skylanders Zoom". It's supposed to be some sort of Skylanders racing game. Ok, if this is true I'm done with the Skylanders universe. Why Activision!? A racing game with the Skylanders logo would be terrible! I HATE RACING GAMES!!!!!!!! -Morphs into the Dark Master and destroys the world!-

Sorry about that... Anyway that's the rumors I've heard. Not saying any of them are true. The Spyro one sounds nice... Though the Skylanders one...? GRRRRRAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

anyway... Dragonsoul Out!!!
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#2 Posted: 01:45:08 07/03/2014
Pretty sure both of those are fan ideas/projects. I know the racing game isn't confirmed at all; it was just speculation by the author of a Forbes article. "Prophet of Deceit" just sounds like a fan title and I'm pretty sure I've seen it around as a fanfic or something, but someone will have to confirm that one. It doesn't sound like anything that ActiVision would go for.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#3 Posted: 05:41:37 07/03/2014
SPYRO AND ACTIVISON ALL-STARS PLAGIRISM KART
NOW WITH RAINBOW ROAD.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#4 Posted: 13:11:13 07/03/2014
The title for that Spyro one just sounds far too much like a fanfic to be real. And since DotD was somewhat of a commercial flop, I doubt they'd return to the Legend series, honestly. At the moment, Spyro seems to be going the way of Epic Mickey 3 - Loads of fake names that people assume are real.

And the Skylanders one sounds more like speculation like Razz has stated.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
Darchangel Blue Sparx Gems: 627
#5 Posted: 15:19:16 07/03/2014
Yeah, sounds fake. The first one especially.
Even though there's nothing to back it up I could see them doing a Skylanders racing game though, it seems to be a popular (and stupid) idea in video games to attempt (and fail) to be Mario Kart.

Quote: dragonsoul13
Morphs into the Dark Master and destroys the world!-

Sorry about that... !

Off-topic, sorry, but I found this way too funny, and not the part I should have, just the fact that all you had to say about destroing the world was "Sorry about that..."
---
>N< "Everyone knows I'm in over my head."
I'll Start Trying In September
#6 Posted: 15:47:46 07/03/2014
Haha, now that's some classic Spyro attitude there! :D

"Whoa, looks like I wrecked this place. Well...see ya!" :D
#7 Posted: 21:04:34 07/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Darchangel
Yeah, sounds fake. The first one especially.
Even though there's nothing to back it up I could see them doing a Skylanders racing game though, it seems to be a popular (and stupid) idea in video games to attempt (and fail) to be Mario Kart.

Morphs into the Dark Master and destroys the world!-

Sorry about that... !

Off-topic, sorry, but I found this way too funny, and not the part I should have, just the fact that all you had to say about destroing the world was "Sorry about that..."

Well in all honest truth I'll just reverse time and space and pull everything back together. I mean, I'm not completely like Malefor smilie
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#8 Posted: 21:08:12 07/03/2014
For crying out loud people any possibility of a future Spyro game is as likely as a new Half Life game any time soon.
Especially since Skylanders is still a thing.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#9 Posted: 22:25:40 07/03/2014
Quote: CommanderGame
For crying out loud people any possibility of a future Spyro game is as likely as a new Half Life game any time soon.

------
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#10 Posted: 22:35:41 07/03/2014

Pretty much,the more we speculate that X relates to Y and Shadow Legacy 2 is confirmed,the developers will shy away from actually talking about it except some leaks that simply mean that they'll do it someday?
...No,I don't mean any of that,just that Valve is too complicated in comparison to Activision.The latter are a bit more blunt and if the situation(read: current cool thing in the market that sells well) calls for a plataformer with one main character,they'll get one and it might as well be Spyro.Bonus points if they don't explain at all why he's outside of Skylands for that one game.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#11 Posted: 00:13:48 08/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost

Pretty much,the more we speculate that X relates to Y and Shadow Legacy 2 is confirmed,the developers will shy away from actually talking about it except some leaks that simply mean that they'll do it someday?
...No,I don't mean any of that,just that Valve is too complicated in comparison to Activision.The latter are a bit more blunt and if the situation(read: current cool thing in the market that sells well) calls for a plataformer with one main character,they'll get one and it might as well be Spyro.Bonus points if they don't explain at all why he's outside of Skylands for that one game.

there's talk of a Shadow Legacy 2!? Hmmm interesting. I'm just waiting and writing my own stories at the moment. When a new game comes out I'll be ready smilie
#12 Posted: 00:34:54 08/03/2014

there's talk of a Shadow Legacy 2!? Hmmm interesting. I'm just waiting and writing my own stories at the moment. When a new game comes out I'll be ready smilie

No,no there isn't ._. I just made up an example to approximate it to the 'Half-Life 3 confirmed' joke.
---
#13 Posted: 15:28:03 08/03/2014
Honestly? Half-Life 3 is going to come out long before we see a solo, non-Skylanders Spyro game. Skylanders is a $2 billion series. The entire Spyro franchise before it can't even come close. ActiVision is going to go where the money is. Also, they learned a pretty valuable lesson about not pandering to Spyro fans with the financial flop that was DotD.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#14 Posted: 16:16:41 08/03/2014
Quote: Razz
Honestly? Half-Life 3 is going to come out long before we see a solo, non-Skylanders Spyro game. Skylanders is a $2 billion series. The entire Spyro franchise before it can't even come close. ActiVision is going to go where the money is. Also, they learned a pretty valuable lesson about not pandering to Spyro fans with the financial flop that was DotD.

I don't see how giving fans what they want instantly means "pandering", and in DotD's case, it had nothing to do with it's lukewarm release.

DotD didn't do well because:

-The game switched studios mid-development and was completely reworked. Kind of pushing it, considering the deadline. Which is why the game had problems and felt unpolished in some areas. It didn't help that the final developer didn't have a lot on their backlog.
-The Sierra-Activision merger was being negotiated during development. This did not effect development of the game itself as far as we know, but it sure as hell effected the marketing, and as a result, there wasn't an awful lot of marketing.
-Released amongst a bunch of other games that were part of much more popular franchises, and due to lack of marketing, nobody realised the game existed.

Even if we took away the first point, DotD could have been the most outstanding and revolutionary game of the generation, and it still would not have sold too well (at least not initially).

Though to be honest, I can't say how DotD did until I know the sales figures in relation to the game's budget.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#15 Posted: 18:08:00 08/03/2014
ActiVision doesn't care about those factors, though. All they see is a game that didn't make the money intended so they're not going to bother with doing anything like it ever again.

And DotD did pander to the fanbase (Cynder's last line is very obviously exactly that and probably wouldn't have been in the game were it not for the fans wanting it). Giving them what they wanted made for a choppy story and it certainly didn't help the game's poor critical reception and sales.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#16 Posted: 18:25:47 08/03/2014
Quote: Bifrost

Nah, it'll probably be Crash, because then they can actually use that IP. Plus, from what I see, Crash appears to be a bit more popular anyway.

That's assuming they haven't actually sold off the IP like those rumours say, I mean.
#17 Posted: 23:28:01 08/03/2014
ActiVision doesn't care about those factors, though. All they see is a game that didn't make the money intended so they're not going to bother with doing anything like it ever again.

And DotD did pander to the fanbase (Cynder's last line is very obviously exactly that and probably wouldn't have been in the game were it not for the fans wanting it). Giving them what they wanted made for a choppy story and it certainly didn't help the game's poor critical reception and sales.

Oh, I know that. I was just making it known that fan pandering had NOTHING to do with the poor sales to begin with.

And we really cannot say for certain that Cynder's last line was done because of the fans. I honestly seen it coming since Eternal Night (I didn't play A New Beginning until after the other two games, though), myself.

And even if it was, it's not a very good example, as I'm pretty sure most reviewers wouldn't give a damn about that. I was thinking you meant stuff like "fly at any time" and Cynder being playable. While these are two features that were requested by fans (the former since before LoS was even a thing), they were not bad ideas at all. People like to think "fan ideas = bad", but as someone becoming a games designer, I can say that feedback is important, from fans and non-fans alike. Flying at any time and playable Cynder, and even co-op, were perfectly natural evolutions of the LoS formula. While they were requested features, they were going to make it into the series at some point anyway. They made too much sense. And the fly at anytime mechanic was long over due as it was, and was a perfect way to say "Spyro's in HD!".
Therefore, since most of the fan requested ideas made sense anyway, I don't consider their inclusion "pandering". And heavily basing a game off of fan ideas is not a bad concept anyway, and many games have their success ride on it (like, ANY competitive game ever). Heck, just look at Super Smash Bros.

Also, DotD's reception was not poor. It's Metacritic Critic rating is 62/100 (based on 35 critics). And while it's a little less relevant, it's User Rating is 7.5/10. That is not poor. The Critic rating would imply "above average", while the User Rating would imply "solid". "Poor" territory is 20-30/100, or 2-3/10. Also, of the critic reviews sampled, 8 were positive, 24 were mixed, and 3 were negative. So critically, those who thought it was poor were in a minority.

And for reference, other games with a Metacritic score near DotD's are (according to the little sidebar that popped up):

Assassin's Creed Liberation HD: 62/100
The LEGO Movie Game: 69/100
Fable Anniversary: 69/100
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII: 70/100

I would also just like to say that I disagree with the notion of "scoring" games with numbers, but Metacritic is still useful for gauging a game's reception.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:37:38 08/03/2014 by sonicbrawler182
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#18 Posted: 23:37:50 08/03/2014
HOLY [bleep]! DID THEY TAKE MY IDEA?!?!?!
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=99119
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/profile.php?user=23272
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#19 Posted: 23:58:23 08/03/2014
^Please, Loco. DotD was created way before your fan idea.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#20 Posted: 01:31:25 09/03/2014
You aren't paying attention. It sequels SHADOW LEGACY, which has the ORIGINAL Spyro, not the second guy. Though, I must say, he's a good addition to my series.
#21 Posted: 01:40:52 09/03/2014
In this case, it's more of a coincidence.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#22 Posted: 01:43:42 09/03/2014
So, what's your opinion, then? You think that might be the answer we've been looking for as to see a new Spyro game?
#23 Posted: 01:52:25 09/03/2014
A new Spyro game being made would lead to many possibilities. There is sure to be backlash from the fanbase and the reception that game would receive.
---
#24 Posted: 01:58:28 09/03/2014
Well, dubstep will DEFINITELY not be the main focus for BGM, unless there's a part in which Spyro would need to go into a night club in Klontrill. smilie
#25 Posted: 02:16:55 09/03/2014
Well,Acti can always pick their poison if they ever go back to solo Spyro:

A )Classic canon.Cries of 'too kiddy' and 'too pointless' from LOS fans,Skylanders fans don't get the shameless fourth wall breaking,Classic fans add fuel to the fire by talking about it in all the wrong sections.
B )LOS Canon. Cries of 'too edgy' and 'too corny' from Skylanders fans,Classic fans don't get the blatant Star Wars and LOTR expies/plot,LOS fans add fuel to the fire by saying their fanfics were stolen by Acti and their OCs would've made the game 1000% better.
C )No toys,Skyro only,Final Destination.Cries of 'too close to Skylanders' and 'Spyro is still dead' from Classic fans,LOS fans don't get the whimsical yet deep story,Skylander fans add fuel to the fire saying Spyro has some of the worst stats in the game and they should've done it with Drobot instead(don't forget the cries of too OP plz nerf in response to that).
D )New reboot. Cries of 'don't pull a Sonic Boom' even if the game still isn't out and 'give my Classic/LOS/Skylanders back' from everyone. A handful of fans add fuel to the fire by being the only ones who don't care about drastic changes and like the new one just as much as the others.

You can replace everything with Sonic or Crash terms and it'll probably be the same thing,though.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:17:49 09/03/2014 by Bifrost
#26 Posted: 02:33:22 09/03/2014
I was thinking more of "Hey, what if the Sorcerer drained magic because he was trying to free Malefor? That'll make it clear as to why he drained the magic in the first place!"

Seriously, that's what I'm doing with MY series!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:34:05 09/03/2014 by LocoGuy107
#27 Posted: 02:57:52 09/03/2014
Loco, enough with your fan game ideas please. Seriously...
---
#28 Posted: 03:23:16 09/03/2014
Okay, fine. So much for early advertising...
#29 Posted: 03:37:37 09/03/2014
You can advertise your fan game, but you're doing WAY too much and doing almost everywhere. That is if you only joined just to advertise and nothing more.
---
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#30 Posted: 00:19:50 10/03/2014
If Activision does decide to create another Spyro game (which I don't see them doing at all, or just not now anyway), I can see it focusing more on original Spyro, since it's more like the Skylanders games than TLOS. Or even making yet ANOTHER Spyro series with the Skylanders Spyro, and Acitivision being all like 'He now gets his own game!!!'.

I'm not being biased. I'm just stating this because Spyro is now an additional character in Skylanders and is one of the 'main' skylanders characters (or used to be. I don't know because I've only played half way through the first Skylanders game, and he's pretty darn main in that one). We can't forget this. Acitivision will now probably try to relate Spyro to Skylanders as much as possible, and TLOS is nowhere near like Skylanders. Spyro's darker personality alone will make the new fans go 'wtf happened'. Original Spyro is more closer to Skylanders Spyro's personality, and so are the games in general. Also, Skylanders have been referring to the classic Spyro with the sheep in the first game.
Also, I can see Activision wanting to appeal to the Skylanders fanbase, since that's where the money is. I really don't think they give a dam about the older players.

i'm probably not making any sense here, but it's hard to explain.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#31 Posted: 00:36:55 10/03/2014
At this point I want them to just go all out Conker's Bad Fur Day with Spyro. :V

He been through so much crap at this stage, I can just see him being driven to drink!
---
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#32 Posted: 19:46:26 10/03/2014
Quote: sonicbrawler182

I don't see how giving fans what they want instantly means "pandering", and in DotD's case, it had nothing to do with it's lukewarm release.

DotD didn't do well because:

-The game switched studios mid-development and was completely reworked. Kind of pushing it, considering the deadline. Which is why the game had problems and felt unpolished in some areas. It didn't help that the final developer didn't have a lot on their backlog.
-The Sierra-Activision merger was being negotiated during development. This did not effect development of the game itself as far as we know, but it sure as hell effected the marketing, and as a result, there wasn't an awful lot of marketing.
-Released amongst a bunch of other games that were part of much more popular franchises, and due to lack of marketing, nobody realised the game existed.

Even if we took away the first point, DotD could have been the most outstanding and revolutionary game of the generation, and it still would not have sold too well (at least not initially).

Though to be honest, I can't say how DotD did until I know the sales figures in relation to the game's budget.

I don't know about the marketting in other countries but it was pretty good in the UK. The TV ads for both Crash and Spyro were on all the time and they had mini Spyro and Crash cutscenes and gameplay clips every ad break on Nickelodeon for weeks!

You can watch one here:
http://www.antonis-t.com/86127...agon-vo-version
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me