Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
that tears it... [CLOSED]
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#51 Posted: 16:15:02 10/09/2013
Quote: Friendzie
I wouldn't blame anyone for selling rare figures for a profit. It's the company's decision to release these rare figures. I believe the idea behind them is that they help build excitement for collectors, not that an average person will ever get one or should even want one. Once you've gone to the dark side of trying to get every variant in existence, you better have some serious cash in your bank account!

Or a high credit card limit smilie
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#52 Posted: 17:03:21 10/09/2013
Rare variants are NOT there for collectors. They are there for your average Joe to FIND.
The only reason to mix them in with standard stocks is so that little Timmy down the road has as much chance of finding one as anybody else.
If they were for collectors they would be special order only and cost more. They are not advertised as "collectors edition" or anything. They are just mixed in with the rest as something special to keep the public interested in looking for figures.

Finding a Rare variant is great, selling it for a profit? Probably ok. But how can you "find" 10 or more?
If he bought them on the open market at ebay pricing then 1)I think he is crazy (my opinion) 2) He can do what he likes with them, he bought them! However.
If he used contacts inside the game industry to strip them from deliveries for retail cost before they hit the public? (The only other way I can think of getting that many!) the I think that is a despicable thing to do and should probably be illegal. It is most certainly against store policy for most retail outlets and could get the people involved fired.
So I will think the "best" and assume that he bought them all at ebay pricing. While we may not like what he has done or the way he went about it, essentially he did nothing wrong.
#53 Posted: 18:09:15 10/09/2013
Variants being RARE makes it fit perfectly within a collector's mindset and framework. No one usually desires COMMON items when they collect. Having rare stuff helps fuel interest and demand, and thus cost--for the collecting community.

What you are describing are in game variants which are much easier to find. Chase variants are designed specifically for the collector's market. Johnny doesn't have a chance since most store clerks will take it and sell it before poor Johnny checks the shelf.

It's overall not perfect but I'm fine with categorizing how Activision chose to address variants for the commoners as well as collectors.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:11:42 10/09/2013 by GhostRoaster
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#54 Posted: 18:30:05 10/09/2013
"Johnny doesn't have a chance since most store clerks will take it and sell it before poor Johnny checks the shelf."

THIS is the problem. It is NOT allowed by any store I know. There are rules to prevent staff doing this. I know many people have been fired for doing this sort of thing on other stuff.

Toys shipped to toy shops for sale to the public should GET to the public. I don't care how rare a variant is, if it's in the standard toy delivery for the public, they should get a chance to buy it.
#55 Posted: 19:30:19 10/09/2013
^That's the rub. Miniscule populations made, plus the REALITY of this problem makes this really an exercise in futility. It's not going to change--so unfortunately it's one of those situations where you play the game (or pay the piper) or simply don't participate. The time to do otherwise isn't really worthwhile...maybe we need a skylander lobbyist in Washington? smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:31:04 10/09/2013 by GhostRoaster
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#56 Posted: 00:03:44 11/09/2013
Here's a question - would anyone object to an employee, who is a huge Skylanders fan and buys one of every figure for themselves, stocking the figures and pulling a singular chase variant that they find and purchasing it for themselves?
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#57 Posted: 00:10:32 11/09/2013
Quote: UncleBob
Here's a question - would anyone object to an employee, who is a huge Skylanders fan and buys one of every figure for themselves, stocking the figures and pulling a singular chase variant that they find and purchasing it for themselves?

Not really, but if the guy put it on eBay the same day he bought it? I would object.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#58 Posted: 00:10:36 11/09/2013
I wouldn't! If I was working at Target or TRU I would definitely get one for myself!
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
lady_valdyme Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#59 Posted: 00:15:03 11/09/2013

If, given the information in your scenario is all there is to it, then no, I probably wouldn't object... If the person buying the figure is getting it for the sole purpose for their collection-- something they're going to hold onto for more than just a couple of weeks-- then there isn't anything wrong with that. It would be no different than if they were walking around the store and stumbled upon it. They were just lucky enough to be the one to put the stock onto the shelves.

I think the problem lies in the fact that the chase variants are so hard to find, and you have some people who have more than their fair share of them and are charging an extraordinary amount for who are flaunting their "finds." I acknowledge that some cities are larger than others, making their chances of finding chase figures slightly better as they have more retail locations to look in... But to have 6+ of the same extremely rare figure? Surely even you can admit that it is a bit unfair and ridiculous.

What is the harm in leaving one for a kid to find on the shelves? Have we become so selfish and obsessed with having the "best" collection that we forget that the game is aimed at kids? Ever stop to think that finding a Pearl Hot Head or White Flocked Prism Break may just make some kids really crappy day the best day ever?
---
Red Panda does not approve.
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#60 Posted: 01:04:45 11/09/2013
Exactly my point lady_valdyme
I have no problem with him making a profit...but gathering/hoarding 8 to 10 of the rare chase variants....is overkill...little jonny will never get one when someone is getting every single chase variant in town. All of us know how these are distributed..and the odds of him having so many is what is making so many of us angry.
I don't need them...im a skilled enough painter i can make my own...(yeah i know it dosen't have the "Special" in there name when you put them on the portal)-don't care-...matter a fact im working on the gold/white flocked Lightcore Prism Break.
He needs to leave them in the store so someone else can experience that feeling of finding one on the shelf. I have seen so many videos of kids just lossing it when they find a chase variant on the store shelf...i remember one one kid was so ecstatic he couldn't wait to get home...he made the youtube video right there in the car. that is what ticks me off ...he is taking that from the kids.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:08:08 11/09/2013 by Phoenix_Lord
minecrafter Blue Sparx Gems: 852
#61 Posted: 02:43:36 13/09/2013 | Topic Creator
thank you judaschrist2040
but we dont like that....
this is a topic where we are saying some of us have a hard time finding variants.
ok, matteomaxx was alright.... he had one of each variant.
but you have 11 of each...... we're not gonna clap that you hoarded all of them.... 11 + 16 = 27, 27 little kids crying at home. congratulations you have won the noble prize.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:51:59 13/09/2013 by minecrafter
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8519
#62 Posted: 02:46:05 13/09/2013
I have none and I started when the game came out. ^.^
#63 Posted: 03:02:19 13/09/2013
When I was a young child, my father liked the sauce. He would typically stumble in drunk around 11 at night. Usually, my mother and him would get into a fight and us kids would woken by by the sounds of him yelling, smacking her around and her moans and tears.

I remember one night in particular - my sisters and I were outside playing on our bikes when it started raining. We ran into the house, in from the rain and watched some TV. After dinner, we played Uno with Mom, then went to bed.

As usual, our father stumbled in late that night... but tonight was a little different. You see, in our haste to come in from the rain, we had left our bikes in the driveway... and when Dad pulled in, he smashed into all three of them with his pick-up. He was angry. Now, we didn't often see Dad angry - truth is, when he wasn't drinking, he was a pretty decent father. When he was drinking, he usually came home late enough that we were in bed and our mother, bless her soul, would usually shield us from him. Sadly, I don't think there's a thing in the world that could shield us, or her, from his anger that night. He burst into my bed room, yanked me out of bed by my shirt collar and tossed me into the hallway. As I lay there, crying and rug burn, he slammed open my sisters' door and repeated a similar action with them. I watched as their bodies flew into the hallway in a clumsy pile. Dad started to take off his belt and swing it wildly about. Now, Dad wasn't much for sports or anything that took much hand-eye coordination, and combining his lack of talent with the liquor he had consumed that evening only meant that if he was aiming for some part of us in particular (like our backsides), he was doomed from the start. After a few lashes, my mother stepped in between him and us. Years later, my oldest sister said that my mother had been hanging onto his swinging arm, trying to pull him off us, but I cannot speak about that, as I was too busy trying to shield my face from the blunt of the belt.

But I do recall Mom getting between him and us and yelling at him to stop and leave. Unfortunately for her, my father wasn't the type of man to take direction from a woman even when he wasn't drunk and angry. I'm not sure exactly what happened at this point. I may have still been mostly shielding my own face, but I think I've just blocked out most of it over the years. I just remember the screams of my mother and I remember seeing how terribly beaten she was the next day. At some point, my father must have relented, because he left.

We never saw him again after that night. Years later, I know my mother claimed to be divorced, but I don't ever remember any evidence of it.

But when he never came home, I cried. Not because I lost my father, or because he had just severely beaten me, my sisters and my mother. But because he had my Silver Boomer in his truck and I never saw it again.

Only the last part of that is a lie.

If you want to help keep little kids from crying, I can give you the names of a couple of organizations who can really use your help. None of them are Activision selling toys to kids.
IWHBYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1274
#64 Posted: 07:10:31 13/09/2013
Quote: minecrafter
thank you judaschrist2040
but we dont like that....
this is a topic where we are saying some of us have a hard time finding variants.
ok, matteomaxx was alright.... he had one of each variant.
but you have 11 of each...... we're not gonna clap that you hoarded all of them.... 11 + 16 = 27, 27 little kids crying at home. congratulations you have won the noble prize.

Is the noble prize related in any way to the Nobel Prize?
---
Latest Purchases: http://i.imgur.com/jD6ExG4.jpg
Owner of every Skylander released including variants all brand new in box.
shelly9871 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1246
#65 Posted: 13:21:45 13/09/2013
Why would you post that IWHBYD? So somebody made a typo...so what...if this site didn't allow grammar and spelling errors...and typographical errors...there wouldn't be many posts. Can't we be nice? Disagreeing is fine constructively.
---
Please see my guestbook for the remaining packs I need---Any help is appreciated. smilie
Judaschrist0240 Blue Sparx Gems: 668
#66 Posted: 15:58:50 13/09/2013
good policing shelly
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#67 Posted: 16:11:08 13/09/2013
When I was a young child, my father liked the sauce. He would typically stumble in drunk around 11 at night. Usually, my mother and him would get into a fight and us kids would woken by by the sounds of him yelling, smacking her around and her moans and tears.

I remember one night in particular - my sisters and I were outside playing on our bikes when it started raining. We ran into the house, in from the rain and watched some TV. After dinner, we played Uno with Mom, then went to bed.

As usual, our father stumbled in late that night... but tonight was a little different. You see, in our haste to come in from the rain, we had left our bikes in the driveway... and when Dad pulled in, he smashed into all three of them with his pick-up. He was angry. Now, we didn't often see Dad angry - truth is, when he wasn't drinking, he was a pretty decent father. When he was drinking, he usually came home late enough that we were in bed and our mother, bless her soul, would usually shield us from him. Sadly, I don't think there's a thing in the world that could shield us, or her, from his anger that night. He burst into my bed room, yanked me out of bed by my shirt collar and tossed me into the hallway. As I lay there, crying and rug burn, he slammed open my sisters' door and repeated a similar action with them. I watched as their bodies flew into the hallway in a clumsy pile. Dad started to take off his belt and swing it wildly about. Now, Dad wasn't much for sports or anything that took much hand-eye coordination, and combining his lack of talent with the liquor he had consumed that evening only meant that if he was aiming for some part of us in particular (like our backsides), he was doomed from the start. After a few lashes, my mother stepped in between him and us. Years later, my oldest sister said that my mother had been hanging onto his swinging arm, trying to pull him off us, but I cannot speak about that, as I was too busy trying to shield my face from the blunt of the belt.

But I do recall Mom getting between him and us and yelling at him to stop and leave. Unfortunately for her, my father wasn't the type of man to take direction from a woman even when he wasn't drunk and angry. I'm not sure exactly what happened at this point. I may have still been mostly shielding my own face, but I think I've just blocked out most of it over the years. I just remember the screams of my mother and I remember seeing how terribly beaten she was the next day. At some point, my father must have relented, because he left.

We never saw him again after that night. Years later, I know my mother claimed to be divorced, but I don't ever remember any evidence of it.

But when he never came home, I cried. Not because I lost my father, or because he had just severely beaten me, my sisters and my mother. But because he had my Silver Boomer in his truck and I never saw it again.

Only the last part of that is a lie.

If you want to help keep little kids from crying, I can give you the names of a couple of organizations who can really use your help. None of them are Activision selling toys to kids.

Wow.
Although I believe you to be a very professional troll artist, I do also believe that you're an honest troll, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you're telling the truth (aside from the Silver Boomer part obviously).
Two things: 1. I am VERY sorry to hear about these circumstances. Your story is unfortunately all-too-common story in the modern USA culture. Domestic violence is a cancer on our society, and it teaches the next generation to devalue the sanctity of life, and children end up raised in an environment where the definition of love is bastardized and where pain is an expectation. It's wrong on every level, and it's one very important reason why people must step-up and alert authorities when they see or strongly suspect signs of domestic abuse. 2. This tale does explain a lot about you, UncleBob. A lot of your anti-social antics make a lot more sense when this light is shined upon them. And while this doesn't excuse you from your professional trolling activities, it does help explain them. And for what it's worth, you have my sympathy (I know you didn't ask for it), and I personally hope that you find peace.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
#68 Posted: 16:22:05 13/09/2013
Quote: shelly9871
Why would you post that IWHBYD?

Because IWHBYD is a straight-troller, Shelly. He posts stuff primarily for the purpose of riling people up, derailing threads, and/or generally inciting arguments or mayhem.
It's not uncommon on the internet. It's just been mostly uncommon here on DarkSpyro, at least until recently, where "IWHBYD" and "Judas" are apparently now the NTOTB (New Trolls On The Block).

Have you heard their latest smash singles?
"I'll Be Trolling You (Forever)"
"This One's For the Forum Police"
"I Got It (the White Variants)"
"Actin' Tough"
and
"Stomp By Stomp"
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#69 Posted: 16:39:32 13/09/2013
Quote: BahamutBreaker

Because IWHBYD is a straight-troller, Shelly. He posts stuff primarily for the purpose of riling people up, derailing threads, and/or generally inciting arguments or mayhem.
It's not uncommon on the internet. It's just been mostly uncommon here on DarkSpyro, at least until recently, where "IWHBYD" and "Judas" are apparently now the NTOTB (New Trolls On The Block).

"Actin' Tough"
and
"Stomp By Stomp"

I love how you call people trolls when it's clear you're trolling yourself. You say he only posts to de-rail threads but it's clearly obvious that your other posts are trying to de-rail this thread. Anyone with a brain cell clearly knows you are the troll.

Eitherway, variants are hard to find and are called chase variants for a reason. Not everyone can get them in stock but maybe you'll get lucky and find one? Good luck on your variant chasing Minecrafter.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
#70 Posted: 20:10:24 13/09/2013
im famous
#71 Posted: 03:41:34 14/09/2013
Bored Trollsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#72 Posted: 04:05:32 14/09/2013
Judas, As much as an idiot you are, you've made your damn point. Go back to sneaking into the stock room, tearing through boxes, finding your variants, and ripping them out of kids hands, and get the hell out of here.
---
words. letters. filler.
#73 Posted: 04:11:33 14/09/2013
I scream "those are my variants!!!!!!!!" as I stiff arm a toddler to get my shiny piece of plastic
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#74 Posted: 09:01:50 14/09/2013
Dear MoonHorizons,
The only users I would ever "troll" are the ones that go out of their way to be trolls in the first place. Many people say that the only way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. I get that approach, and sometimes utilize it. But I'm also a bit ... unconventional, and I do not try to hide the fact that when someone is chronic trolling in a forum/board that I enjoy, I will sometimes meet the troll head-on and shove a mouthful of his own medicine in his pie-hole. So, yeah, if you're not really paying attention, you're right, to a casual onlooker, I might appear to be trolling. That's a risk of how I operate, and I understand that. I've been criticized and disciplined, and I understand that, too. I'm most certainly not someone who wants to paint himself as a saint or above reproach. However, I do want to deflect those trolls' banter squarely toward me, because the way I see it, if they're focused on me, then they ain't got time to troll other people who, unlike me, might actually be offended or hurt. I don't want any praise or thanks, really. I just want to browbeat trolls on this forums until they buckle and go away. Some are stubborn (or stupid or lonely) enough that they'll never change or leave, and I accept that. But for what it's worth, my tactics do usually work; it's just a matter of time. If you don't like my methods, feel free to ignore my posts whenever you like, or if you're really feeling nasty, you can report my posts, if/when they break the rules. While I have no desire to be reported, it's within your rights to do that.

EDIT: also my post above #68 was pretty funny. If you don't think so, I'd say that's because you were born in the mid-1990's or later.

"It's time to kick a$$ and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of gum!" smilie

And I did quite enjoy #68. LOL!
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
flashwingftw Emerald Sparx Gems: 3332
#75 Posted: 17:00:05 15/09/2013
I know that feeling, heck, even I found one after being patient, variants are never a focal point in my hunts but when I see one I take it! The trick is being at the right place at the right time, they're incredibly rare and everytime I go hunting I never expect to find one, just don't give up!
---
The PinkPrint is on iTunes now! #TeamMinaj
Been here for 3 years and still can't figure out why half of the people are so damn rude.
R.I.P to my wallet
#76 Posted: 17:01:44 15/09/2013

"Actin' Tough"
and
"Stomp By Stomp"

Don't forget "Trolling in the Deep."
---
Been here for 3 years and still can't figure out why half of the people are so damn rude.
R.I.P to my wallet
#77 Posted: 17:35:46 15/09/2013
That's a good one, flashwingftw! Although it isn't a parody of a New Kids on the Block hit.
---
#78 Posted: 18:35:34 15/09/2013
"Comfortably Trolled"
"Bad Troll Rising"
"The Troll Remains the Same"
"Trolled Around Your Finger"

are among my favorites.
---
#79 Posted: 18:51:17 15/09/2013
I got more, "Can't troll us" (Can't hold us, Macklemore) "Trolled lines" (Blurred lines, Robin Thicke) "Troll it up" (Live it up, J Lo), "Troll more (Love more, Chris brown and Nicki Minaj <3) and "Troll on fire", Girl on fire, Alicia Keys)
---
R.I.P to my wallet
#80 Posted: 00:23:16 16/09/2013
Weird - where are all the folks that complain about people going off-topic and derailing threads? They seem to be missing.
#81 Posted: 01:39:35 16/09/2013
They won't be missed, UncleBob!
However, in fairness, this was a troll topic to begin with. It's hard to "off-topic" when there was never a legitimate topic in the first place.
---
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#82 Posted: 03:40:40 16/09/2013
Weird - where are all the folks that complain about people going off-topic and derailing threads? They seem to be missing.

Shhhhh this thread is cloaked...they haven't discovered it ......yet
#83 Posted: 06:08:22 17/09/2013

"Actin' Tough"
and
"Stomp By Stomp"

Not only are people moving away from the group, they're moving away from the era! Tsk, tsk. Picking current music seems like cheating, LOL!

"Cover Troll"
"Please Do Go, Troll"
"My Favourite Variant"
"Troll Night"...
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
#84 Posted: 23:56:44 19/09/2013
you guys are welcome for all my variant pics. its nice to have fans
#85 Posted: 02:50:36 20/09/2013
hate to burst your bubble there Juda..but you don't have any fans.
---
dinoah2005 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3472
#86 Posted: 03:11:56 20/09/2013
Quote: Judaschrist0240
you guys are welcome for all my variant pics. its nice to have fans

Too bad you have none. You have only yourself to blame, but you already know that.
#87 Posted: 01:18:22 03/10/2013
For my fans im half way to 10!!!!!!!

[User Posted Image]
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6093
#88 Posted: 05:42:10 03/10/2013

*snip*

What's sad is you probably think you actually do have fans.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#89 Posted: 13:57:13 03/10/2013
Quote: Seiki

*snip*

Oh Snap
---
#90 Posted: 00:31:59 04/10/2013
Quote: Seiki

*snip*

Yeah, no kidding...
---
#91 Posted: 00:49:32 04/10/2013
Still attention seeking...you are an adult right? Cant you find another way to get attention? Sad
---
Please see my guestbook for the remaining packs I need---Any help is appreciated. smilie
#92 Posted: 01:01:18 04/10/2013
Still attention seeking...you are an adult right? Cant you find another way to get attention? Sad

I BELIEVE I read somewhere that Judaschrist0240 is 15.

And hey! I see his status is listed as Gnorc right now!
---
#93 Posted: 01:26:45 04/10/2013
Well...15...8 guess ill go back to not responding. I was a pain at 15 too. smilie
---
#94 Posted: 01:44:44 04/10/2013
Sure would like to know how he gets somany Variants...(god i hate greedy people)...i can't find any around here. And what is Gnorc?...sorry im new here smilie
Im realy begining to hate this kid even more then i already do.
---
#95 Posted: 01:52:48 04/10/2013
Gnorc means he got himself temporarily banned.
---
#96 Posted: 01:56:43 04/10/2013
SWEEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

Rotten little brat...serves him right.
---
#97 Posted: 02:10:04 04/10/2013
What rule did he break specifically? It would be nice if we had a banned thread so inquiring minds would know.
---
#98 Posted: 03:44:09 04/10/2013
We do, sort of. Its in Stuff&Nonsense under Leaving/Returning thread. Thats where most of the gnorc's/ripto's get reported. Unfortunately reasoning isn't always given. I'm thinking he got banned for trolling.
---
#99 Posted: 18:06:42 04/10/2013
1 more for those counting

[User Posted Image]
#100 Posted: 18:09:00 04/10/2013
Really? You JUST got back from being gnorc'd for this behavior, and thats the first thing you post?
---
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me