Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Customized Figures/Mods [CLOSED]
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#1 Posted: 19:36:07 02/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I've seen a few people painting figures to match their ingame counterparts a bit better, but I'm wondering...anyone actually make any sort of mods or paint jobs to their figures?

Last night, I decided to try my hand at making a custom Chop Chop. Not really paint, I got a nifty silver Sharpie, I did over his entire body, leaving the bronze for accents.

[User Posted Image]

Noticeably, that's only one go over, so I'll be going back and fixing it up some more. (i know there's some splotches here and there too)

What I'm thinking is taking a look for some sort of metallic red colors, perhaps doing some Arkeyan color scheme (red/bronze) so that might look really cool.

Anyone do some mods?
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#2 Posted: 19:40:21 02/02/2012
best ones are here ... http://www.angelfire.com/mech/...Skylanders.html
skyp1e Green Sparx Gems: 306
#3 Posted: 19:43:43 02/02/2012
I sure wish I had the courage to do those articulation mods to my figures. Maybe when they finally start blowing them out on clearance in a year or two I will.

As for the Chop Chop up there, I like him a lot BUT if you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism, I would have left the nose and eyesockets on the base alone as well as any exposed bone on the figure itself. Otherwise, nice job.
---
Mine Portalmaster #788111 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Son's smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Daughter's smilie smilie smiliex2 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#4 Posted: 19:47:45 02/02/2012 | Topic Creator
^ Ha, Actually, I did originally leave just the bones, but he looked really weird like that. The base I just colored in completely so it all matched. Thankfully though, I decided against painting the skull silver so it'd still glow int eh dark.
---
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#5 Posted: 19:51:25 02/02/2012
Way to hard to find figures at this point for me to start doing custom work on them. Especially the ones I'd want to do things to right now like Stealth Elf (Impossible to find as a single in my area), Double Trouble (Impossible to find as a single given the current wave), Ignitor (Impossible outside of 3DS currently), or Trigger Happy (Not sold as a single? Expection of the Legendary version to release shortly).
skyp1e Green Sparx Gems: 306
#6 Posted: 19:54:17 02/02/2012
I had no idea that the undead bases glowed in the dark. How cool is that?

As stated in my other thread about customizing Prism Break, I sure wish that the powers that be had incorporated fiber optics into some of the figures. Hex's skull, Prism Break's crystals perhaps even some fire effects for Eruptor and Flameslinger. Optic lines going up through the base to the key points on the figures could light up from the portal and change colors from the portal as well.

smilie
---
Mine Portalmaster #788111 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Son's smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Daughter's smilie smilie smiliex2 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:26:20 02/02/2012 by skyp1e
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#7 Posted: 20:22:50 02/02/2012
This is the kind of thing I'd love to do, but I'm scared I'd screw it up smilie
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#8 Posted: 22:27:31 02/02/2012
I got a Cynder all ready to be primed but I'm waiting for my cold to go away first.

Going to do a full repaint like her "original" colors, with glow in the dark accents and fix that suspicious crack in her chest.
---
#all Spyros are valid
terranakari Green Sparx Gems: 468
#9 Posted: 22:54:14 02/02/2012
Quote: Okaps
I got a Cynder all ready to be primed but I'm waiting for my cold to go away first.

Going to do a full repaint like her "original" colors, with glow in the dark accents and fix that suspicious crack in her chest.

i would LOVE to see this! if it works maybe you could totally do mine? =3 lol smilie if i ever get a spare cynder that is lol
---
We finally have all the skylanders from SA and SG! Still working on SSF & STT.

Proud Skylander Mom! To our little skyfamily. <3
rasigar_dragon2 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1754
#10 Posted: 00:06:19 03/02/2012
i have no guts and abillity to costum a skylanders figure but i still can costum a nerf gun :-)
---
[RYUSEI: My reflexes are honed by years of gaming!]
exosquad Gold Sparx Gems: 2667
#11 Posted: 00:36:16 03/02/2012
the silver sharpies will wear off. if you want to get serious. get a paint pen/paint marker. acrylic paints are good, and if you want to scrub off the original paint, nail polish remover stips it to the bare plastic.

im working on articulating/painting/improving generally, a drobot. (i had to start over cause it was kinda ugly thats how i learned about the nail polish to get all the layers off, btw drobot is green plastic underneath.)
---
I am going to have 1 of everything. someday...
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#12 Posted: 12:25:43 03/02/2012
Quote: Okaps

That's what I wanted to do smilie

But none of mine have been sent out yet, not till March. Let us know how it goes, cause I want to try it with one of mine
Shadow Drobot Green Sparx Gems: 423
#13 Posted: 00:09:39 04/02/2012
Quote: exosquad
the silver sharpies will wear off. if you want to get serious. get a paint pen/paint marker. acrylic paints are good, and if you want to scrub off the original paint, nail polish remover stips it to the bare plastic.

im working on articulating/painting/improving generally, a drobot. (i had to start over cause it was kinda ugly thats how i learned about the nail polish to get all the layers off, btw drobot is green plastic underneath.)

Any specific brand of paint pens? I'm doing a special Drobot customization, and I want to make it as best as possible.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#14 Posted: 00:38:46 04/02/2012
Quote: Shadow Drobot
Quote: exosquad

Any specific brand of paint pens? I'm doing a special Drobot customization, and I want to make it as best as possible.

You should really use a tiny brush for the best results. I have done some small figures for a game called Robo Rally years ago, and it really isn't tough to do. Just have to be patient. And if you dry brush, you can get some really good texturing effects going on.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
exosquad Gold Sparx Gems: 2667
#15 Posted: 05:58:40 04/02/2012
the paint pens that hobby lobby are "good enough" to use.
@himewad if you choose to use actual paint, you need to get a few good quality brushes, like my 5 haired 1/2 brush. but painting with real paint is the way to go. ive been using Utrecht store brand http://www.utrechtart.com/ is their website. its worked well for other figures.
---
I am going to have 1 of everything. someday...
KittehDragon Green Sparx Gems: 165
#16 Posted: 20:16:57 04/02/2012
pretty nice design.
---
Yay!
Nmh ftw
#17 Posted: 00:22:22 24/02/2012 | Topic Creator
So hey, I finally found some paint that didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

I went and finally finished my Arkeyan Chop Chop, which I think came out pretty rad.

[User Posted Image]

The paint notably is a bit on the thin side, so once everything dries after a few days, I'll be doing another coat.
---
Jin Saotome Green Sparx Gems: 383
#18 Posted: 01:15:19 24/02/2012
If anyone is going to get into painting these figures there's some important steps/info they'll need before they start. Basic figure painting can be found here in my guide and I have ones on all the techniques you'll be using for them. http://www.angelfire.com/mech/...intingTips.html

However to summarize:

1. NEVER use enamel paint. It will remain tacky and slowly dissolve soft PVC plastic that the figures are made of releasing toxic fumes over time. This is probably the #1 cause of failed projects. Also avoid paint pens that say enamel or contain tolulene/xyelene/acetone.

2. Acrylic paint from Micheal's/Walmart like Folk Art and Apple Barrel don't stick well to plastic and need primer first. But primer is very hard to find that isn't some sort of enamel and will make a figure sticky to begin with. I use testors Model Master acrylics you can find at Hobby Lobby and Formula P3. Games Workshop paints will rub off unless you paint them over a basecoat of testors or Formual P3. Tamiya Spray Lacquer [For Plastics] is the only kind of spraypaint I've found that doesn't make the figures sticky.

3. Prep your figure by carefully washing it in warm soapy water. Try not to submerge the base and just wash the figure off under the faucet using a soft nail brush and non-moisturizing soap. You can also wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. This prep step removed the silicon oil, mold release, and hand oils that will keep your paint from sticking.

4. Sealing the figure requires either Tamiya clear spray lacquer or a brush-on acrylic sealer. Don't use modge-podge stuff tho, you'll need Games Workshop 'Ardcoat, Testors clear gloss, or a hobby brand. Krylon makes an 'acrylic' spray sealer called Crystal Clear but I haven't used it on these figures yet. It won't make Marvel Legends pvc plastic sticky so it may work. It comes in matte, semigloss, and gloss.

5. You normally don't need to remove the paint that there but in the event of really glossy metallic paint that repels other paint you have two options. Soak the figure upside down in 91% alcohol for a day making sure not to get the base wet. This sometimes softens the factory paint or removes it without harming the figure. CAREFULLY wipe the section down using acetone on a pure white paper towel. You can't let it sit on the figure because Acetone eats away at plastic, tho much slower on PVC. It will eat the hard plastic ABS base quickly. You can also take 3M 800 grit sandpaper and rough up the surface to allow the paint to stick.

hope these tips help!
#19 Posted: 20:06:27 24/02/2012 | Topic Creator
See, I wanted to keep the bronze accents that are already on Chop Chop, so I had to paint all around them. (although, I didn't do an amazing job or anything. haah)

Is there any sort of glossy stuff you recommend? Or something that will give it a metallic sheen? I was going for an Arkeyan sort of paint job, similar to Drill Sarge.
---
Osbor Blue Sparx Gems: 710
#20 Posted: 20:19:42 24/02/2012
Quote: Jin Saotome

3. Prep your figure by carefully washing it in warm soapy water. Try not to submerge the base and just wash the figure off under the faucet using a soft nail brush and non-moisturizing soap. You can also wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. This prep step removed the silicon oil, mold release, and hand oils that will keep your paint from sticking.

just a tip, jin, water damage around the base is almost a non-issue.
i took my ghost swords item figure apart, and there's some incredibly strong glue holding the green base to the painted stand, as well as some sharp corners which makes the green base sort of sit within the rim of the painted stand.

i might actually get some other item i don't care for, and just submerge it for a few days, then try reading it again. i'd bet dollars to donuts the interior would be bone dry, and it'd read fine

hell, some of the figures or items might make great fish tank decorations!
L-Sunburn Yellow Sparx Gems: 1739
#21 Posted: 23:54:02 28/02/2012
Should I be scared right now?
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/...lthElfTall.html
---
Favorties smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Osbor Blue Sparx Gems: 710
#22 Posted: 23:56:52 28/02/2012
Quote: L-Sunburn

i think i'm the only one who kind of likes tallelf
Landerfan2012 Gold Sparx Gems: 2048
#23 Posted: 23:58:35 28/02/2012
its creapy
---
131/174
Trap team and Gearshift on reservation
#24 Posted: 01:10:16 29/02/2012 | Topic Creator
IT HAS BEGUN!
[User Posted Image]
---
Landerfan2012 Gold Sparx Gems: 2048
#25 Posted: 02:53:04 29/02/2012
thats CREAPIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <smilie
---
131/174
Trap team and Gearshift on reservation
joerox123 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1992
#26 Posted: 05:03:18 09/03/2012
I made a glow in the dark blue eruptor, a dark spyro whos wings are painted light blue and his eyes are yellow and glow.
---
the road is long, we carry on
try to have fun in the meantime☠
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#27 Posted: 05:06:08 09/03/2012
How did you make it glow in the dark, joerox? Was it glow-in-the-dark paint?
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
#28 Posted: 00:16:07 10/03/2012
Yeah i use it when it is dark
---
#29 Posted: 00:21:38 10/03/2012
I also took of chop chops shield and put it on smilie he looks pretty cool. But how do you take the figure off the green base? I want to move themany which way.
---
Whirlwind1820 Red Sparx Gems: 43
#30 Posted: 03:22:34 10/03/2012
can you guys make it so that it is that color in the game????

I LOVE smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Whirlwind5598 Green Sparx Gems: 332
#31 Posted: 04:45:33 10/03/2012
Quote: Whirlwind1820

WTF!? No smilie

How old are you exactly? If you are under lets say 12 then I won't go all crazy on you.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:47:11 10/03/2012 by Whirlwind5598
Peachezz Red Sparx Gems: 43
#32 Posted: 10:13:28 13/03/2012
Quote: Whirlwind5598

WTF!? No smilie

How old are you exactly? If you are under lets say 12 then I won't go all crazy on you.

Hahahaha Be nice smilie
I really wish I had the guts to mod them, but eh can't afford the mods anyway. What I also want to do is reposition them all.
---
Own:
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
ramster1221 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1957
#33 Posted: 19:31:51 13/03/2012
Quote: L-Sunburn

Oh my God! The horror.
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#34 Posted: 19:54:28 13/03/2012

WTF!? No smilie

You can actually give them a new colour in-game with the right tools....
Whirlwind5598 Green Sparx Gems: 332
#35 Posted: 17:43:27 16/03/2012
I didn't make it but its awesome!

http://yardsellr.com/for_sale#...venture-2215585
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

#36 Posted: 17:51:12 16/03/2012 | Topic Creator
I didn't make it but its awesome!

http://yardsellr.com/for_sale#...venture-2215585

That's actually really impressive. Anyone use any sort of Glow in the dark paint before? I've always wanted to do that. In fact, I might just for my Chop Chop.
---
matesds Emerald Sparx Gems: 3504
#37 Posted: 18:45:12 16/03/2012
Quote: spyroflame0487

I went and finally finished my Arkeyan Chop Chop, which I think came out pretty rad.

[User Posted Image]

The paint notably is a bit on the thin side, so once everything dries after a few days, I'll be doing another coat.

The coloration reminds me of Iron Man X3
---
Keep smile
SkyDaddy Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#38 Posted: 18:54:45 16/03/2012
Quote: matesds
Quote: spyroflame0487

[User Posted Image]

The coloration reminds me of Iron Man X3

Hahaha! My thoughts exactly! I wish Activision would produce "Ready to paint" version of these figures. Might be a good idea for kid and craft parties.
---
-- PortalMasters.net -- Check out my site and get a chance to win Lightning Rod , Ignitor and other single character packs!
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#39 Posted: 23:20:33 16/03/2012
I've only done some minor changes to mine, but they still look cool.

[User Posted Image]
I gave Spyro silver claws.

[User Posted Image]
and Sonic boom a silver helmet.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
Wiseman Green Sparx Gems: 333
#40 Posted: 01:14:12 17/03/2012
You painted Spyros nails?!?! =P
---
** Avatar Creator - nitendofan92 **
mulhollinman Green Sparx Gems: 120
#41 Posted: 01:35:10 17/03/2012
And you painted his belly tail and wings red or is it just a weird camera?
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#42 Posted: 02:11:26 17/03/2012
^No, that's just the camera.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
trentd78 Ripto Gems: 914
#43 Posted: 22:24:41 12/05/2012
i just found a black zap variant at walmartsmilie
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#44 Posted: 23:47:23 12/05/2012
Quote: trentd78

photos please
#45 Posted: 23:50:04 12/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: trentd78

Pics?

So, I believe I posted this in the other thread, but I'll do it here too. I ended up with an extra Voodood and Bash from helping a friend out and I decided to paint them Gold. I think they came out really spiffy.

[User Posted Image]

The Boomer I got from the Frito-Lay promo I decided I'd attempt to make my first real-ish looking custom (As in, keeping it in the box). I tried to open it really carefully with an X-acto knife, but It didn't really work as I wanted to. What I DID want to do, though, was make Boomer glow in the dark. (All that Primordial Ooze can't be good for the Trolls) At first, I just went right at it, but the paint was kind of...really wet. Even after shaking it for a long time.. I dunno. I ended up painting Boomer solid white first, then repainting it with the glow in the dark stuff. It came out ok to me. The package went together kind of ok too, but I had to re-glue it a few times....

[User Posted Image]
---
trentd78 Ripto Gems: 914
#46 Posted: 01:42:46 13/05/2012
[Image Unavailable]

right here. smilie
Reaganag Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#47 Posted: 02:33:22 13/05/2012
One word: FAKE.
---
Awesome avatar by nintendofan92!
Have waves 1,2,3, and 4
Sunburn55 Blue Sparx Gems: 926
#48 Posted: 15:51:47 13/05/2012
Quote: Reaganag
One word: FAKE.

Two Words: Customized Figures
AJAwesome Platinum Sparx Gems: 6470
#49 Posted: 15:57:26 13/05/2012
Not mine:
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]My fav.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]Thats all I could find.
---
I'm a girl. My name is Reese. :3
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:08:41 13/05/2012 by AJAwesome
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#50 Posted: 16:49:02 13/05/2012
Quote: AJAwesome
Not mine:
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]My fav.
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]Thats all I could find.

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/...Skylanders.html
---
THE END IS NEAR
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me