Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4
Giants Storage Ideas [CLOSED]
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#101 Posted: 19:43:53 24/01/2013
Quote: melt4rf
X-treme where do you get that for the giants?

i have no idea; my dad used to use it to display mini football helmets. i found it in the storage room. it has more dividers for regular landers, but it fits 8 giants perfectly.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#102 Posted: 18:12:17 27/01/2013
Finally got some pictures of my Ikea cases (mentioned above). All the regular characters fit, as I mentioned I put them in cases for the elements, with an extra for legendary, variants and special items, and adventure packs.

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

I finally got something good for the Giants this weekend, these cases were $3.97 at Walmart, snap shut and stack. I made the dividers out of Elmer's Foam Board I got at the hobby store. The dividers are cut to fit in snugly and not move.

[User Posted Image]

Here they are sitting in the media closet.

[User Posted Image]
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#103 Posted: 19:41:16 27/01/2013
Def, how much did the blue cases cost, and are they only at these IKEA stores? If so, how much were they at Ikea?

As for the white cases for the Giants, can you take a pic from the side, so I can see how far up the tip of Swarm's barb comes out from the top. This is so I can gauge if those cases would even be able to fit Ninjini who seems to be a half an inch taller than the tip of Swarm's barb.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#104 Posted: 21:19:50 27/01/2013
I'll take a picture in a bit, but the lid actually isn't flush with the case, so there some room. The lid bumps up some as you can see, which sits in the bottom of the one above it for stacking.

Here are the blue ones:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80100029/
#105 Posted: 21:32:36 27/01/2013
Here you go, image of it plus next to one with the lid on to show how much clearance you will have. I wondered about Ninjini, but with only a half inch or so it will easily fit.

[User Posted Image]
Bulldog Red Sparx Gems: 41
#106 Posted: 01:18:18 29/01/2013
Hey guys,

New to this site and I got my son Giants for Christmas and it has been quite an adventure to collect them all. I think I'm more interested in finding them then my 5yr old son and 7yr old daughter. They get excited when I get a new one but I am the one who plays the game the most. smilie Being that we are starting to get quite a collection of these guys, I need to build a showca errr store them somewhere. Well My hobby is woodworking so I ended up designing and building what I call the Sky Shelf. smilie Came up with 3 different versions, standard, elemental, and lightcore. The elemental version of this shelf is going to be as you will be able to slide in color acrylic backs for each elements color. I've been selling the standard version on Etsy and logging my build process on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CustomSklyanderCastleShelf

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

Here is a shot of my prototype or my son's smilie Elemental and Lightcore editions..

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
#107 Posted: 01:40:49 29/01/2013
whoah! looks awesome!
Sharkz2001 Green Sparx Gems: 493
#108 Posted: 01:44:21 29/01/2013
Bulldog, that is a sweet looking display! Nice work on that. The light really puts it over the top. What kind of lights are those?
---
I'm back for Swap Force!
#109 Posted: 01:48:18 29/01/2013
Quote: Sharkz2001
Bulldog, that is a sweet looking display! Nice work on that. The light really puts it over the top. What kind of lights are those?

Thanks guys! They are LEDs from hitlights.com.. Still working on the design and placement of the lights to get the best effect. I actually designed and built the shelf before I had the lights so I guestimated the dimensions for wiring. smilie Learned a lot though so I have been tweaking my designs quite a bit.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#110 Posted: 02:02:55 29/01/2013
That is a really nice display!

My display is just a train table. T_T
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
spoons10696 Gold Sparx Gems: 2525
#111 Posted: 03:18:47 29/01/2013
So how much are you selling it for?
#112 Posted: 03:20:42 29/01/2013
Quote: Bulldog

Thanks guys! They are LEDs from hitlights.com.. Still working on the design and placement of the lights to get the best effect. I actually designed and built the shelf before I had the lights so I guestimated the dimensions for wiring. smilie Learned a lot though so I have been tweaking my designs quite a bit.

Have you thought of using tape lights? It would work great but can get kinda pricey. If you put the colored inserts in the back like you have pictured you might save some money by being able to buy a white light which would emit the color. These would work great. http://1000bulbs.com/category/...led-tape-light/
---
I'm back for Swap Force!
DrillSarge Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#113 Posted: 03:42:47 29/01/2013
I just use ornament cases that are on clearance at wall may since Christmas is over. They are called stack ems or snao ems. Comes with pre cut cardboard inserts that work great. I was able to cut and modify certain slots to fit Giants. If I used one case for Giants only I wouldn't have had to cut anything but I've only got two boxes right now cause I wanted to make sure they worked before I bought more. Plus I haven't stated buying doubles much yet. So I only item the ones I have two of.
#114 Posted: 03:51:25 29/01/2013
Quote: Bulldog

Have you thought of using tape lights? It would work great but can get kinda pricey. If you put the colored inserts in the back like you have pictured you might save some money by being able to buy a white light which would emit the color. These would work great. http://1000bulbs.com/category/...led-tape-light/

Yep, that's exactly what they are. Just purchased from a different vendor. The acrylic is opaque and I have all the elemental colors. Though my original design was to mimic an LCD display although the opaque acrylic doesn't let the light through like I had hoped. Trying quite a few different positions with the LEDs and channels for wiring. I had to put my R&D on hold to fill a few orders but I'm soon finished with those so I'll be back at it.

This new design (creating it in 3d) will allow me to build the shelf and provide the ability to slide the colored acrylic in at any position so they could be configured in any order if you are ordering them by your favorite element. Also this allows me to provide any color acrylic so if you just want all red, blue, yellow, or any combination you can just order that along with the shelf when available. As my wife just wanted a shelf to store any kinds of figures, this would provide a low profile and yet a playhouse for my son. Though my intentions were to showcase our Skylander collection. smilie

With the build process I'm currently selling the shelf with no back at 200 + shipping. The colored acrylic or "elemental" version would be 250. With the combination of materials and time to build which is coming in around 8-9 hours, it's a fair price. I'm trying now to make shipping as cheap as possible. I didn't want my post to be about selling them as I'm just enjoying the game along with the design and build process. Gives me something to build as I just enjoy woodworking. It was cool to find this thread about people building units to store an showcase Skylanders as for the last few months has been an addiction for me.

BTW, I really like the layout of spoons10696 shelf. smilie

[User Posted Image]
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:05:03 29/01/2013 by Bulldog
#115 Posted: 04:28:19 29/01/2013
Have you tried making the back out of say particle board or wood and painting it with neon colored paint? That might accent the light better. Then again it might be darker.
---
I'm back for Swap Force!
#116 Posted: 04:50:44 29/01/2013
Have you tried making the back out of say particle board or wood and painting it with neon colored paint? That might accent the light better. Then again it might be darker.

Yep, I did. Though since I decided to make them made to order, it would take me much more time to tape/paint a back. I'm still up in the air about the lightcore edition as I still need a back over the acrylic just like an LCD. Though I want to make it simple to build but yet have a great effect. I'm a computer mod guy from back in the 90s so when I can mix my passions of PC modding and woodworking, I jump at the chance. smilie
#117 Posted: 05:01:39 29/01/2013
I hear ya. Well good work man!
---
I'm back for Swap Force!
#118 Posted: 22:22:22 29/01/2013
Well its a very cool shelf Bulldog, I really like the granite spray paint you went with.....I thought about using that but to please my wife I went with white so it would match in my daughters room..lol!.....only sad thing I would say about yours is that it will only hold one series of figures. When I designed mine I specifically made sure that it would hold all of Series 1 and Series 2, the Giants aswell as the battle packs and adventure packs!. People will probably need 2 shelfs from you in order to show off their entire collection....a little pricey then but still very very nice units!....awesome job!

Heres mine with a bunch more figures on it now!!.........not sure what I will do with Series 3!!!...haha. I updated my pictures as I have added in some background images in the Giants spaces. Feel free to check em out young Portal Masters!!.....or not!....the choice is yours.

http://i1309.photobucket.com/a...zps87506dc6.jpg
http://i1309.photobucket.com/a...zps4bfed03d.jpg
http://i1309.photobucket.com/a...zpsc48be78e.jpg
http://i1309.photobucket.com/a...zps2267b38e.jpg
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 04:55:49 30/01/2013 by spoons10696
#119 Posted: 23:33:39 29/01/2013
Quote: spoons10696
Heres mine with a bunch more figures on it now!!.........not sure what I will do with Series 3!!!...haha

http://i1309.photobucket.com/a...zpsbe196799.jpg

Series 3? You have more immediate concerns. Where is poor Ninjini going to hang out? All of the giant slots have been taken! smilie

I love the shelves, both yours and the one above, but unfortunately with a precocious three year old - leaving them out on display is a good way to get them lost. He loves the Skylanders, and they would never stay put on the shelves. So cases for us it is, at least for the immediate future.
DluA Gold Sparx Gems: 2392
#120 Posted: 03:01:26 30/01/2013
Yet another display idea. This is getting competitive!! smilie

http://i.imgur.com/T5y3qLZ.jpg
---
REWARD: for valid information that leads to the addition of an ULTRA RARE 2011 E3 Gill Grunt in the E3 packaging.
#121 Posted: 03:08:35 30/01/2013
Quote: DluA

Yours is totes the best.
#122 Posted: 03:15:46 30/01/2013
Plenty of space right on the top!!...lol. Not a problem. I wasnt planning on Gnarly and Scarlet originally but oh well plans change!
#123 Posted: 03:20:56 30/01/2013
Quote: X-Treme

Yours is totes the best.

Even better than this?

http://imgur.com/a/8VK1I
---
REWARD: for valid information that leads to the addition of an ULTRA RARE 2011 E3 Gill Grunt in the E3 packaging.
DrillSarge Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#124 Posted: 03:26:17 30/01/2013
I just wish I could find something that would hold all the unopened skylanders I have. I'm sticking with the stack ens for the items ones. I want to be able to store them and not display them as these won't be popular forever or even something I stay interested in long enough to decorate any room in my house with these.
#125 Posted: 03:30:56 30/01/2013
Quote: DrillSarge
I just wish I could find something that would hold all the unopened skylanders I have. I'm sticking with the stack ens for the items ones. I want to be able to store them and not display them as these won't be popular forever or even something I stay interested in long enough to decorate any room in my house with these.

Agreed. I'm running out of room myself. Been meaning to get some dedicated plastic tote bins with lids and bubble wrap my unopened figures...
---
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#126 Posted: 16:22:53 30/01/2013
Quote: defpally
Finally got some pictures of my Ikea cases (mentioned above). All the regular characters fit, as I mentioned I put them in cases for the elements, with an extra for legendary, variants and special items, and adventure packs.

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

I finally got something good for the Giants this weekend, these cases were $3.97 at Walmart, snap shut and stack. I made the dividers out of Elmer's Foam Board I got at the hobby store. The dividers are cut to fit in snugly and not move.

[User Posted Image]

Here they are sitting in the media closet.

[User Posted Image]

Is blue all they have, sorry ikea for some reason comes up blocked at my job, yet this site doesnt hmm.
I think if i could do a color to match an element it would rock.
#127 Posted: 16:30:29 30/01/2013
Quote: SlayerX11
Is blue all they have, sorry ikea for some reason comes up blocked at my job, yet this site doesnt hmm.
I think if i could do a color to match an element it would rock.

For those, yes, blue only. They have some other similar crates, including bigger ones with wheels on them (no dividers) and small ones in a three pack that come in some other colors. But, those are blue only. They have had them for quite a while, we used them for the first game too (used 1 box to share two elements back then, not possible now). I buy them in the store - I had to search for the web link. I also have one extra one that my son uses to put in a few favorites if he is going to a friend's house.
#128 Posted: 19:17:58 30/01/2013
Quote: X-Treme

Yours is totes the best.

Even better than this?

http://imgur.com/a/8VK1I

Ok, maybe not, but both are really cool.
Shroomy_Boomy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1143
#129 Posted: 20:18:34 30/01/2013
Quote: crazyace
i have 2 of these = http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bull...anizer/16940233

and they work out great. deep enough to where alot of the characters can stand. i also posted on here about a idea i had and submitted it to rubermaid to see if they could make something like that with just 8 large compartments. and it would work perfect for just the giants. but they declined. but the idea still isnt out in stores.

here is the post i made

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=68521

here is a couple of pictures of what they look like with characters in them

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

I think the display style cases on here are interesting (also VERY well done), but not a practical long-term storage solution for most (not to mention all the dusting someone as OCD as myself would have to be constantly doing with shelves like those, lol)... when I hear "storage" I don't really think of the same thing as "display"... However, these storage containers mentioned above seem to be a very nice solution, as well as portable!!

I was finally able to hunt down 6 of them in my area and will be rearranging my storage to fit into these bins, thanks CrazyAce for the awesome idea!! smilie 6 cases should fit everything released through the end of the Giants game!! I'll try to post pics when I get everything organized/labeled from the 2 Rubermaid containers with which I currently stored my SSA and Giants figures!! smilie
---
67/67+GITD:smiliesmiliesmilieAEsmilie ROCKsmilie&smilieGLITTERsmilie&smilieSNOWsmilie

37/37+All Sidekix~WERDS~Blusmilie~Flockedsmilie~GITDsmilie~GREENsmilie~CLEARsmilie~CHROMEsmilie
crazyace Blue Sparx Gems: 734
#130 Posted: 22:38:23 30/01/2013
Quote: Shroomy_Boomy
Quote: crazyace
i have 2 of these = http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bull...anizer/16940233

and they work out great. deep enough to where alot of the characters can stand. i also posted on here about a idea i had and submitted it to rubermaid to see if they could make something like that with just 8 large compartments. and it would work perfect for just the giants. but they declined. but the idea still isnt out in stores.

here is the post i made

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=68521

here is a couple of pictures of what they look like with characters in them

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

I think the display style cases on here are interesting (also VERY well done), but not a practical long-term storage solution for most (not to mention all the dusting someone as OCD as myself would have to be constantly doing with shelves like those, lol)... when I hear "storage" I don't really think of the same thing as "display"... However, these storage containers mentioned above seem to be a very nice solution, as well as portable!!

I was finally able to hunt down 6 of them in my area and will be rearranging my storage to fit into these bins, thanks CrazyAce for the awesome idea!! smilie 6 cases should fit everything released through the end of the Giants game!! I'll try to post pics when I get everything organized/labeled from the 2 Rubermaid containers with which I currently stored my SSA and Giants figures!! smilie

no problem at all glad that will help you out with storing your characters.
---
32/32 S1, 8/8 Giants, 1/8 LC, 8/8 New S2, 23/24 S2 Repose
L. Bouncer, Stealth Elf, Trigger Happy, Spyro,Chop Chop, Bash, Jetvac, Slam Bam, Ignitor, chill
sniper52 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1315
#131 Posted: 22:42:12 30/01/2013
I use a good old shoebox. I decorate it with Skylanders stickers.
---
HAISHFTAYADGHpenisHDGNADGITUGDUAHD
#132 Posted: 01:06:25 31/01/2013
Quote: spoons10696
Well its a very cool shelf Bulldog, I really like the granite spray paint you went with.....I thought about using that but to please my wife I went with white so it would match in my daughters room..lol!.....only sad thing I would say about yours is that it will only hold one series of figures. When I designed mine I specifically made sure that it would hold all of Series 1 and Series 2, the Giants aswell as the battle packs and adventure packs!. People will probably need 2 shelfs from you in order to show off their entire collection....a little pricey then but still very very nice units!....awesome job!

Thanks! I needed it to be small my son's room size and for shipping. I already built a bunch of oak cubbies for his room so this is actually more of a play shelf that can hold any figures, not just skylanders.

I really like the jet cut steel shelves someone posted. Wish I had access to anything CNC. Who knows, I might outsource to have the MDF laser cut instead if spending a ton of time in my woodshop and getting MDF dust over everything. I especially liked the element symbols cut out. I played around with etching the acryllic on mine but it didn't really add anything but more time spent on building which in the end, cost me more $$.
#133 Posted: 01:55:18 31/01/2013
Quote: sniper52
I use a good old shoebox. I decorate it with Skylanders stickers.

i used that till my glow boom got scratched.
#134 Posted: 03:20:17 31/01/2013
Yeah, I used 2 clear rubbermaid bins but noticed that on a couple 'landers the paint was rubbing off (very minor but wanted to change my setup so it didn't keep happening)... Now they're individually seperated and safe!! lol smilie
---
67/67+GITD:smiliesmiliesmilieAEsmilie ROCKsmilie&smilieGLITTERsmilie&smilieSNOWsmilie

37/37+All Sidekix~WERDS~Blusmilie~Flockedsmilie~GITDsmilie~GREENsmilie~CLEARsmilie~CHROMEsmilie
#135 Posted: 03:51:21 31/01/2013
Mine are on display, that needs to be updated. I painted a few more.
#136 Posted: 03:56:26 31/01/2013
^ Awesome!!! I'd love to see a pic if u have one! smilie
---

#137 Posted: 04:28:40 31/01/2013
I posted one of the old display, before i customized:

Crusher
Eye brawl
Camo
Jet vac
I will try to post pics tomorrow, no guarantee tho.
#138 Posted: 15:52:55 31/01/2013
That shelf for 44 dollars on Ebay wouldn't be bad if it had two adjustments made.

1: The round shelf on the bottom should be bigger, so it can fit a console Portal of Power.

2: The first 3 rows from the top won't be able to fit certain Skylanders.

Stealth Elf almost comes to the top, and Sunburn is about is about 1/4 inches taller than her. He should have made the top 3 rows as tall as the bottom 2 rows in my opinion.
---
#139 Posted: 16:08:05 31/01/2013
i would have the guy make it 1/2x the original size.
RainMan Red Sparx Gems: 67
#140 Posted: 16:11:14 31/01/2013
There are some good shelves posted on here!
---
My signature is like this because no matter what I put in it apparently it always violates website policy. Hopefully this is ok............................
tiker Blue Sparx Gems: 568
#141 Posted: 16:31:34 31/01/2013
What someone needs to do is run an antenna loop through all of the shelves to light up all of the light cores while they're being stored. Install an on / off switch on the side or something. That would be the ultimate Skylander storage shelf!

I wonder if the light cores can stay lit indefinitely or if their ability to light up is limited.
---
Collection List and image
#142 Posted: 23:03:48 31/01/2013
Bluetooth portal is the same size as the console portals. The one in that pic is a 3DS portal, as you can make out the green triangle on top.
---
#143 Posted: 00:45:27 01/02/2013
Quote: tiker
What someone needs to do is run an antenna loop through all of the shelves to light up all of the light cores while they're being stored. Install an on / off switch on the side or something. That would be the ultimate Skylander storage shelf!

I wonder if the light cores can stay lit indefinitely or if their ability to light up is limited.

Cool Idea. Wonder how much current would be required.. hmm..
#144 Posted: 19:36:28 01/02/2013
I have bought some new cases and they fit both Giants and figures. You might be surprised, as they've been used by others before. I am currently putting the figures in their place, but these seem to be the best cases for Giants figures. When I sticker them up, I will post pics here. I think you guys will like what I have in store.
---
#145 Posted: 05:23:41 02/02/2013
Okay, here is a pic of the cases I bought at Home Depot today. I will have a more indepth analysis of the cases, as well as how I chose to place everything, on my collection topic, which I will detail as soon as I post this. It will also have more pictures than what I post here.

These ARE the best cases for Giants figures. ZERO intrusion if placed how I place them in the pics you will see on my collection topic.

[User Posted Image]
---
jainasky Yellow Sparx Gems: 1016
#146 Posted: 13:53:03 02/02/2013
Defpally. Do the Ikea cases have dividers in them or are they separate?

And Gamemaster I bought one of those Stanley cases at Lowes yesterday. It works great! The trouble is they only had one and he said it was discontinued. Walmart no longer had them either. I am going to check Home Depot too today as it says there are 4 in stock. I need one more, but they do work great! I love the removable partitions. I will take a pic later today of mine and it does hold my Tree Rex too.
---
jainasky
Lady Skylanders collector from the Southern US
Favorite characters: Whirlwind, Flashwing, Molten Hot Dog, Eye Brawl and Ninjini
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:57:51 02/02/2013 by jainasky
#147 Posted: 14:55:57 02/02/2013
Quote: jainasky
Defpally. Do the Ikea cases have dividers in them or are they separate?

And Gamemaster I bought one of those Stanley cases at Lowes yesterday. It works great! The trouble is they only had one and he said it was discontinued. Walmart no longer had them either. I am going to check Home Depot too today as it says there are 4 in stock. I need one more, but they do work great! I love the removable partitions. I will take a pic later today of mine and it does hold my Tree Rex too.

They have dividers in them, the one vertical and the one horizontal that go across the case are fixed, the other ones are removable (6 of those included).

What Gamemaster did with the big Stanleys is cool, and it works for him - but I much prefer the Ikea ones - they are inexpensive, the color goes well with the theme (rather than a more "work type" black/yellow case), and they are perfect for being anal-retentive. They are very solid and stackable. Each case has 9 slots that fit regular characters almost perfectly. You can put the 4 x series 1, 4 x series 2 and lightcore for an element in one. I'm a big fan of having the figures sorted out logically together, it makes them easy to find, and when putting them up helps us make sure nothing is left out.

I have one case for each element, one case for legendaries (8 regular, 1 lightcore of those), one for my variants, one for items and the cards, one for adventure packs and one extra so my son can carry a few over to a friend's house. Of course, it doesn't work for giants (as I showed what I did for those), and it is a lot of cases - but they are only $4 each.
finnsllc Blue Sparx Gems: 902
#148 Posted: 15:27:26 02/02/2013
Stanley cases can be found at lowes. We've had them for a year now to store the figures. There's nothing new about them. $10. per case.
---
NEW JERSEY USA. Ok, go ahead, I've got popcorn now.
First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me