Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5
DOTD Overrated? [CLOSED]
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#51 Posted: 20:25:42 02/01/2009
Let's just accept the fact that Spyro is permanently on thin ice with Activision Blizzard unless Sierra can pull out a major turnaround. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
ShadowDragon91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1427
#52 Posted: 21:24:50 02/01/2009
What do you mean by Spyro is on thin ice.....?
---
It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of dragons, fore thou art crunchy, and taste of chicken...
RedWelshDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1250
#53 Posted: 22:09:22 02/01/2009
Actually, I quite like this game so far. At the moment I don't want a game that's too taxing on my brain cause college is doing my head in (had one helluva lot of work over the holidays too).

Oh and there is one glaring reason I love this game in one way. Wayne Brady! I'm a big "Whose Line is it Anyway?" fan and Wayne Brady was on that show. So just hearing Sparx talk in the game is hilarious cause I keep imagining the voice actor in Sparx's place...which is kinda strange. Hope you all don't think I'm weird now smilie

But...still prefer the original ones I guess smilie
---
College is a refuge from hasty judgement.

Definition of a college lecturer: someone who talks in other peoples sleep.
#54 Posted: 22:53:17 02/01/2009
Quote: RedWelshDragon
Actually, I quite like this game so far. At the moment I don't want a game that's too taxing on my brain cause college is doing my head in (had one helluva lot of work over the holidays too).

Oh and there is one glaring reason I love this game in one way. Wayne Brady! I'm a big "Whose Line is it Anyway?" fan and Wayne Brady was on that show. So just hearing Sparx talk in the game is hilarious cause I keep imagining the voice actor in Sparx's place...which is kinda strange. Hope you all don't think I'm weird now smilie

But...still prefer the original ones I guess smilie

That is good that you like the game; I did......
---
It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of dragons, fore thou art crunchy, and taste of chicken...
DARK CINDER Ripto Gems: 1062
#55 Posted: 23:11:00 02/01/2009
Quote: Cynder_Rox
It had great potential...Just should have taken more time to do it...

it was good but

1 should be longer
2 hunter speeks affter you meet iggy
3 the other gurdiuns speek insted of just terrie door
4 you should find out more about the apes fate
5 DM should have a bigtger past behind him
#56 Posted: 23:15:31 02/01/2009
Quote: ShadowDragon91
What do you mean by Spyro is on thin ice.....?

If Spyro doesn't meet Blizzard's standards, they won't retain the series. I don't think we have to worry about that in the NEAR future, but it wouldn't hurt if Sierra makes a game that doesn't get bashed by a bunch of people. <.<;
---
#57 Posted: 23:33:24 02/01/2009
Oh......um okay...Thank you...
---
SpyroCrazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1648
#58 Posted: 20:30:37 15/01/2009
Definatly not as gripping. I LOVED ANB and TEN but DOTD doesn't have the same air about it. ANB and TEN I played over and OVER and OVER but I'm not mega "OMG this is so brillient"-ing at DOTD. They could have made it better. Oh and Sparx's voice *winces* and his looks *winces further*
---
SuperWhoAvengePokéThatterLock
Cynder_543 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1277
#59 Posted: 22:35:37 15/01/2009
I thought DOTD was one of the best Spyro games...... But I respect you opeions....
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
elder volteer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1663
#60 Posted: 22:40:24 15/01/2009
well the TLOS series put some action into spyro and gave im a face if you ever notice the old spyro and is gay looking face i think that ANB,TEN, and DOTD where better thatn the origanals
---
Brawl!!! Friend meh!
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=31744&page=1#2003580
torok Platinum Sparx Gems: 6123
#61 Posted: 00:20:46 16/01/2009
DOTD was the best Spyro game ever
Spyro2008 Ripto Gems: 1353
#62 Posted: 04:38:50 16/01/2009
Quote: Ratchet
Who Here think thats DOTD is largely Overrated! I mean Everyones ooing and ahhhhing at the graphics which are pretty avarage These days (I think it's because they compare it to previous TLOS games which also had below avarage Graphics), Lots of Games graphics are better than DOTD, Take Ratchet and Clank: Tools Of Destruction.
Also, the Flight is clunky, Sure you actually stay in the air and not come down but it feels like there's some hand pushing you down all the time and you have to pull yourself up. It's hardly free flight as their so many frikin restrictions. The Length is not much improved i mean it's better but it's still really short, compared to Some other Spyro games. There's defiently not as much exploration as we hoped for and even the bigger levels (Avalar) were pretty small and had bad level design (parts of levels looks the same as others). There was also tonnes of invisible walls too. The collectables were crap. The Armour was useless, it hardly felt like it was on and the gameplay was easy enough that you didn't need it. The armour also seemed to have no difference between other pieces of armour apart from design too. The combat system uses button mashing as much as ANB and TEN. And as For the story, A Total let down. There was no twists or anything. It was just Destroyed the Dark master, the games over. We knew SOMEONE would die so that's not surprising either.

Before You start jumping all over me, i'm not trying to bash this game, but i'm saying that this game is not a 10/10 game like alot of people were saying. As that would make it perfect. I'df give it around a 6.75

yes
Ghakimx Emerald Sparx Gems: 4064
#63 Posted: 06:35:35 16/01/2009
Quote: Tango
Not more
"ORINGINALS ARE BEST"
"TLOS SUCKS"
"DOTD SUCKS"

Topics...*groan*

YES! Stop it with those bloody topics. And most importantly, never compare games NAO to back then. Especially if their very different!
#64 Posted: 07:18:17 16/01/2009
I you guys don't like this topic then why did you come here in the first place? smilie
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
Tango Gold Sparx Gems: 2076
#65 Posted: 16:57:01 16/01/2009
Quote: Cynder_543
I you guys don't like this topic then why did you come here in the first place? smilie

To stop them.
cyndermalefor97 Green Sparx Gems: 176
#66 Posted: 21:25:29 16/01/2009
Who Here think thats DOTD is largely Overrated! I mean Everyones ooing and ahhhhing at the graphics which are pretty avarage These days (I think it's because they compare it to previous TLOS games which also had below avarage Graphics), Lots of Games graphics are better than DOTD, Take Ratchet and Clank: Tools Of Destruction.
Also, the Flight is clunky, Sure you actually stay in the air and not come down but it feels like there's some hand pushing you down all the time and you have to pull yourself up. It's hardly free flight as their so many frikin restrictions. The Length is not much improved i mean it's better but it's still really short, compared to Some other Spyro games. There's defiently not as much exploration as we hoped for and even the bigger levels (Avalar) were pretty small and had bad level design (parts of levels looks the same as others). There was also tonnes of invisible walls too. The collectables were crap. The Armour was useless, it hardly felt like it was on and the gameplay was easy enough that you didn't need it. The armour also seemed to have no difference between other pieces of armour apart from design too. The combat system uses button mashing as much as ANB and TEN. And as For the story, A Total let down. There was no twists or anything. It was just Destroyed the Dark master, the games over. We knew SOMEONE would die so that's not surprising either.

Before You start jumping all over me, i'm not trying to bash this game, but i'm saying that this game is not a 10/10 game like alot of people were saying. As that would make it perfect. I'df give it around a 6.75

OY! if you hate the game so much why do you take the time to make a topic about it? I, personally, rate the game as 9.5! Just because a game is bad doesn't mean you rant about it.

and I agree with Torok! It was the best game we've had in a long time. You should be grateful for all the new stuff they enabled. Like flying, ARMOR(which is useful), and co op!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:27:03 16/01/2009 by cyndermalefor97
#67 Posted: 00:29:10 17/01/2009
^ Looks like somebody can't take openions.... smilie
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
Spyro2008 Ripto Gems: 1353
#68 Posted: 00:36:01 17/01/2009
Quote: cyndermalefor97

OY! if you hate the game so much why do you take the time to make a topic about it? I, personally, rate the game as 9.5! Just because a game is bad doesn't mean you rant about it.

and I agree with Torok! It was the best game we've had in a long time. You should be grateful for all the new stuff they enabled. Like flying, ARMOR(which is useful), and co op!

Learn to take fact that we have different opinions. Thank you.
#69 Posted: 01:59:05 17/01/2009

Armor was pretty dang useless except for the special final armor, which I only equipped to fight Malefor. It's safe to say I did pretty dang fine throughout the game without the armor if I got 100% on the first go-round.

Flying was not something to rejoice for. Not only did it kill one of the most important characteristics of Spyro (he can't fly well at all), the controls were horrible.

Let's face it. I'm not going to compare DotD to the originals. But I CAN compare DotD to other games released for similar systems; other games which were FAR more enjoyable than DotD. DotD came out in a year full of too many awesome games to get any respect from more hard core gamers. Say what you want about this, but the point I'm making is that Sierra and ELB could've made this game so much better! These next-gen consoles have SO much potential, but Sierra doesn't seem to see that at the moment.

If you ask me, I do think Sierra can take a page from Insomniac; but not from the original trilogy. If Sierra wants to stick to the Legend universe, they should take a page from Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank series. Those games are truly a wonderful mix of platforming and combat.
---
Ratchet Blue Sparx Gems: 662
#70 Posted: 13:03:11 26/01/2009 | Topic Creator

If you actually read my whole post, you would have known that I think this game isn't crap, just not perfect. And I'm seeing who else and how many people feel the same way.
And the flying and Armour sucks. The Co-op is good but the game isn't fun enough to have a really good time with it.

And HIR, as they ARE games of the Same Franchise, it is right to compare LOS and the originals, reguardless if the market "forced" Sierra to make that kind of game. Reguardless, as you said, there are way better games at the same time (2008). DOTD might of been nice 5 years ago, back in 2004, but these days it doesn't stand up at all, especially if you compare games like Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction

"well the TLOS series put some action into spyro and gave im a face if you ever notice the old spyro and is gay looking face i think that ANB,TEN, and DOTD where better thatn the origanals "

lol, gay looking face? How old are you, 9? I don't see what's so homosexual about old Spyro's face? Do you mind telling us? And as for action, I don't call button mashing "action", I call it just a way to entertain the brain-dead kids these days. Its a shame kids are like this these days, Cant play a game where every second your not mindlessly tapping buttons and "thinking" you're powerful.
No offense.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:11:33 26/01/2009 by Ratchet
#71 Posted: 15:59:37 26/01/2009
They're games of the same franchise a decade later. And technically, Sierra didn't even own Spyro yet during the original trilogy. <.<;
---
Robo-Spyro Platinum Sparx Gems: 5908
#72 Posted: 17:08:16 26/01/2009
Quote: Spyro2008

DotD was a waste... smilie

Thought you said it was good. Maybe you're the guy who'd prefer Pink flower hats and skirts and so on.
---
no i will not write a signature for you
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:09:36 26/01/2009 by Robo-Spyro
#73 Posted: 15:56:13 27/01/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: Robo-Spyro
Quote: Spyro2008

DotD was a waste... smilie

Thought you said it was good. Maybe you're the guy who'd prefer Pink flower hats and skirts and so on.

Wow, more extremely immature comments. Is DarkSpyro like this ALL the time?
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#74 Posted: 20:24:24 01/02/2009
Yes. All the immature people love TLOS because they fall for the 'amazing' graphics and the repetitive combat ("OH WOW A FURY ATAK HAHA! lets do dat agen!!11")

It's so bad how overrated DOTD is. Seriously. The game is mediocre or below at best, nothing special. Calling it the best Spyro game is a disgrace.
Heck it isn't EVEN a Spyro game. As with all the TLOS games, it was simply a brand new series but they slapped the Spyro license on it to attract more buyers because Spyro is well-known. List the connections between TLOS and the old games?
- Purple dragon and yellow dragonfly
- Breathe elemental attacks
- ... any more? No, it's completely different. And it's generic, boring, dull and flat. Just the exact opposite of what Spyro was and should still be.
#75 Posted: 19:43:15 16/02/2009
I think DOTD is overrated! It isn't gripping like the others and... Sparx...*winces*
---
#76 Posted: 20:09:11 16/02/2009
Quote: dingodile555
Yes. All the immature people love TLOS because they fall for the 'amazing' graphics and the repetitive combat ("OH WOW A FURY ATAK HAHA! lets do dat agen!!11")

It's so bad how overrated DOTD is. Seriously. The game is mediocre or below at best, nothing special. Calling it the best Spyro game is a disgrace.
Heck it isn't EVEN a Spyro game. As with all the TLOS games, it was simply a brand new series but they slapped the Spyro license on it to attract more buyers because Spyro is well-known. List the connections between TLOS and the old games?
- Purple dragon and yellow dragonfly
- Breathe elemental attacks
- ... any more? No, it's completely different. And it's generic, boring, dull and flat. Just the exact opposite of what Spyro was and should still be.

Do you have a God complex? Do you consider yourself so much better than the rest of us? Are you that much more mature, intelligent and sophisticated than everbody else that you have the right to judge what we should and should not like?
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#77 Posted: 22:58:40 16/02/2009
No, just saying a lot of people value graphics over gameplay.

But in all seriousness, I do have a God complex.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:31:51 16/02/2009 by dingodile555
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#78 Posted: 02:57:59 17/02/2009
Who Here think thats DOTD is largely Overrated!

*raises hand* Here's what I say about it. Obviously I don't like it.
BlackDragonAJ89 Green Sparx Gems: 480
#79 Posted: 03:36:08 17/02/2009
My goodness, who ripped a Starfox/Sonic nostalgia war from GS/GameFAQs and slapped Spyro in the title?

To me, this is total stupidity. To be blunt, Spyro sucks compared to Sim City. Why? I'll come back to Sim City 3000 Unlimited and enjoy it, but I can't go back to a Spyro 1 game and enjoy it, because it's too flat, cheezy, and annoying. Why? It's a crap-era game, it wasn't supposed to be nothing more than a moneymaker for the industry when it was first made. Isn't it funny that Spyro the Dragon has that same ring as Sonic the Hedgehog? Yeah, that's one example its a marketing scheme.

Personally, I really, REALLY don't give a crap about what happened in the past; because of that stupid purple dragon, I lost my incredibly awesome arcade experience and got an industry that's hated by the common people because of what they were doing back then in those "hay days."

To be quiet honest for you, had it not been for the Legend series, I would probably just quit caring about Spyro, viewing him as just nothing more than another "attitude the whatever" that came from the biggest embarrassment of time of the gaming industry, much like how I view Sonic these days. Really, those puzzles of those old N64/PS1 games are pieces of cake compared to the hardening challenges of Tetris and Dr. Mario or difficult task of taking care of things in the Sims and Sim City.

Heck, I have Starfox 64 for a nick nack, not as a game. That has to be the biggest waste 10 dollars I've ever spent. Of course, people over-glorify that game to death, and it is ungodly easy, incredibly cheezy, and totally pointless. So what if you got a high score on that? Can the whole town see it in your local arcade? Oh wait, what arcade? Oh, it's gone because of this crap on computer chips sent it to the grave for no reason!!

In other words, I think it's okay. Not the greatest of all time (those are dominated by 80s games and arcade games, so sorry), but certainly better than the crap 10 years ago, and what's good is that you won't lose your brain playing it and the company is actually trying to make it art, not a profit machine.
---
"Never argue with a fool; some people can't tell the difference."smilie
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#80 Posted: 11:36:46 17/02/2009
Quote: dingodile555
No, just saying a lot of people value graphics over gameplay.

But in all seriousness, I do have a God complex.

Well then get therapy.
#81 Posted: 17:39:56 17/02/2009
I don't value graphics over gameplay.

I just didn't think DOTD was gripping, it didn't keep me playing. Fair enough if other people like it. Just leave people to their opinions. smilie
---
Eragon25 Gold Sparx Gems: 2019
#82 Posted: 21:49:31 17/02/2009
DotD was fail.It was okay,but more fail.Not that good.I think the TLoS series slowly got worse.ANB was epic.I think the original 3 Spyro games were the best.
#83 Posted: 01:49:40 21/02/2009
Can we please stop complaining about DOTD?
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
spyro fan 8 Ripto Gems: 2948
#84 Posted: 02:14:57 21/02/2009
Quote: Tango
Not more
"ORINGINALS ARE BEST"
"TLOS SUCKS"
"DOTD SUCKS"

Topics...*groan*

dotd is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i agree that the originals are pretty good too.
#85 Posted: 05:55:30 21/02/2009
The originals were too typical crap for me; the Legend series MIGHT be going somewhere, but still, it's going to be a while...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#86 Posted: 11:40:48 21/02/2009
A bit overrated, the LOS had no charm of the original trilogy
#87 Posted: 04:19:43 22/02/2009
Wow... that about sums it up pretty well! n.n
---
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#88 Posted: 04:55:17 22/02/2009
smilie perfectly said.

Now for Dinner
#89 Posted: 06:48:15 22/02/2009
I support DINNER!
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#90 Posted: 08:12:56 22/02/2009
Enough
Doppel Yellow Sparx Gems: 1244
#91 Posted: 00:10:31 23/02/2009
Quote: Doppel
Quote: Crush
Quote: Skyqueen
NO! DOTD WAS SO NOT A WASTE!!!!!! IT'S ONE OF THE BEST SPYRO GAMES EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD U SAY THAT??? AND ANYWAY, DRAGONS HAVE TO FLAP THEIR WINGS IF THEY WANT TO STAY IN THE AIR! THEY STORY WAS NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT NOT! A TOLTAL LET DOWN!! THE COMBAT SYESTEM WAS AWESOME!!!! THE LEVELS WHERE GREAT TO EXSLORE!!!! U MUST SEE THAT SIERRA PUT ALL THAT EFFORT INTO DOTD! AND U SAY IT SUCKS!!!!!! ARGH!

Let him say what he want. It his oponion. Live with it!
But this is my oponion: I think DOTD is a great game.

Her opinion, GO SUCK IT! smilie

I'll play this for myself!

Oh my goodness... I just read my own post and laughed. smilie

By the way: I beaten DOTD, and boy do I agree with Skyqueen.

Quote: Doppel
Anyone who says it sucks can KISS MY ***! smilie
#92 Posted: 02:59:26 23/02/2009
PIT: The fight is on!!!!

ME: Whoop de do...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#93 Posted: 04:08:26 23/02/2009
Ugh, the English voice actors were so annoying in that game. Especially Ike's. >.>
---
#94 Posted: 06:53:07 23/02/2009
Better than the high-pitched Japanese VAs who sound like nails on a chalkboard though...

Bellosm appears: WHOZAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHTTTT!!!!

And Wolf sounds like a real fatass then. Of course, when DOESN'T he sound like a fatass?
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#95 Posted: 09:00:08 23/02/2009
You kidding Wood was way better then ETD god did that sound like spyro was going through puberty
#96 Posted: 18:31:13 23/02/2009
But what if Spyro was going through puberty???
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#97 Posted: 08:27:46 24/02/2009
He is in DOTD isn't he?
SpyroSparxfan1 Gold Sparx Gems: 2898
#98 Posted: 09:14:15 24/02/2009
Who Elijah Wood? Yea Wood was in DotD as Spyro.
---
The feeling of an end, rather than the feeling of ongoing suffering.. What would be the better choice?
#99 Posted: 19:02:28 24/02/2009
*groan*
---
#100 Posted: 12:26:27 07/03/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: BlackDragonAJ89
It's a crap-era game, it wasn't supposed to be nothing more than a moneymaker for the industry when it was first made. Isn't it funny that Spyro the Dragon has that same ring as Sonic the Hedgehog? Yeah, that's one example its a marketing scheme.

Its funny, because thats exaculy how I feel towards TLOS

Quote:
Personally, I really, REALLY don't give a crap about what happened in the past; because of that stupid purple dragon, I lost my incredibly awesome arcade experience and got an industry that's hated by the common people because of what they were doing back then in those "hay days."

Are you saying that the Gaming Idustry is hated by people because of the paltforming boom in the 90s? I honestly dont think so, because they were the kind of games parents bought for their kids. THe gaming industry is hated due to violent games and sexual games, if you mean politically. Theres also the fact that some people just dont like games, and have never liked them. You seriously cant blame the dislike of games by some on 90s 3d platformers. If anything, more people like games then they did back then.

Quote:
To be quiet honest for you, had it not been for the Legend series, I would probably just quit caring about Spyro, viewing him as just nothing more than another "attitude the whatever" that came from the biggest embarrassment of time of the gaming industry

Biggest Embarrassment? If you didn't realise, the Original games had much higher ratings and sales than TLOS. Spyro was also viewed higher back then. As a Playstation mascot and one of the "have to get" games on the PS1. If anything, TLOS is the "embarrasment" to Spyro and the gaming industry.

Quote:
much like how I view Sonic these days

I've always hated sonic!

Quote:
Really, those puzzles of those old N64/PS1 games are pieces of cake compared to the hardening challenges of Tetris and Dr. Mario or difficult task of taking care of things in the Sims and Sim City.

I cant believe that you would get through every minigame in Spyro 2 or 3 in one shot. I'd like to see you try. And yes, Tetris and Dr Mario, Sims and Sim city are great games, much better than Spyro, But we are not talking about that here. And your talking about puzzles right? Well nothing can be more simple than the pushing of blocks and pressing random buttons that you do in TLOS.

Quote:
Heck, I have Starfox 64 for a nick nack, not as a game. That has to be the biggest waste 10 dollars I've ever spent. Of course, people over-glorify that game to death, and it is ungodly easy, incredibly cheezy, and totally pointless. So what if you got a high score on that? Can the whole town see it in your local arcade? Oh wait, what arcade? Oh, it's gone because of this crap on computer chips sent it to the grave for no reason!!

I'm not a Starfox fan. But that game was revolutionary for the time, due to it being 3d. But really, that game hasn't aged well, so i dont blame you for not liking it. And I wouldn't bother spending 10 bucks on a game that old anyway.

Quote:
In other words, I think it's okay. Not the greatest of all time (those are dominated by 80s games and arcade games, so sorry), but certainly better than the crap 10 years ago, and what's good is that you won't lose your brain playing it and the company is actually trying to make it art, not a profit machine.

I'm sorry to tell you this. But Games are all about profit. And on the contrary, I think TLOS is the type of game thats in for profit. Its a tiny game with repetative and standard level design and uncreative enemies. Its a game with a cliche storyline and generic characters.
But most of all, its a ripoff. The Original 3 Spyro games would be more of art to me. Lots of different kinds of levels. 100s of enemies. Original Characters.And a Much better developed storyline
First | Page 2 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me