darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon > I'm dissappointed, but here's my review (SPOILERS GALORE!)
Page 1 of 1
I'm dissappointed, but here's my review (SPOILERS GALORE!) [CLOSED]
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#1 Posted: 07:03:24 26/10/2008 | Topic Creator
Overall, the game was a bore-, frustration-, and reuse-fest. Why? 'Ere:

• Movement:
  • - (Running/Walking: 5/10) Ya know, running around just ain't fun anymore. Why? Spyro and Cynder are moving so much but going SO SLOW, and they look like they're trying to avoid a knight!
    - (Jumping: 2/10) Jumping isn't very useful anymore, seeing as the dragons don't sort of "hang" for a moment in the air like Spyro use to. Each jump also seems to be lower than before. Might I also mention that flying is what allows you to reach higher areas?
    - (Flying: 7/10) EVERYONE was hyped up on this, but-but flying just isn't very useful, and they FORCED it in a lot of places, making them frustratingly difficult because the flight system lacks the control you need. Flying is also slow, unless you wanna keep bashing your jump/wing-beat button for the occasional speed burst while slamming into things like trees. You don't even bother with gliding, unless you're decending. Flying is fun and somewhat useful, but this flight system just needs more work. ...A lot of it, if it wants a 10/10.
    - (Climbing: 9/10) 'Member running around on walls that had ladders on them in Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon? That's been brought back, only without the ladder. Climbing is better than ever, seeing as you can swing from that magical change to reach another spot when your partner's clinging to the climbing area, or jump from climbing area to another!

• Combat System
  • - (Ground Combat: 6/10) If you had trouble getting the hang of ANB and TEN's melee attacks, don't even try this game's! You have a light melee attack, heavy melee attack, heavy elemental attack, light elemental attack, and then you also get to grab all those little unfortunant enemies! The button lay out is SO confusing that you'll be grabbing at an enemy that's too big, or you'll be throwing them in the air with a heavy attack instead of repeating a light series of attacks. Might I also say that getting used to the elemental attacks being in a completly different spot is HELL? If you ever get used to this (which takes the entire game and just screws you up when fighting Malefor), then you'll eventually figure out that it's funner than a barrel of apes to try for a big ol' combo!
    - ((Air) Jumping Combat: 8/10) You know what? Jumping to meet an enemy mid-air and attacking it in this game is a LOT better than it was in ANB and TEN! You can choose to grab it and kick/claw at it repeatedly with your hind feet, or you can use you dragon's body to wrap around it and then slam it into the ground! Doing either or these will keep you entertained for HOURS! Well, maybe; it could use a broader range of attacks, even just one more for each attack strength.
    - ((Air) Flying Combat: 3/10) These attacks seem.. quick.. or really powerful and SUPER slow. But, you know what? They're VERY confusing! All I had to do in Malefor's first battle part was dodge his attacks and smash buttons! Actually, that's all I COULD do...
    - (Blocking: 9/10) The thing that pissed me off in ANB and TEN was the lack of a blocking. This game has one, and is great! The only problem is getting used to it, but other than that, you're nearly invincible, making mass enemy / boss dodging a sinch.

• Plot Highlights (super spoilers, so skip if you wanna remain blissfully ignorant)
  • - (7/10) Ignitus: Death and Afterlife. I was actually bored to hear that Ignitus died. Now, when I saw that seen, I was dissappointed. Oh, yeah, he gets nearer Cynder and Spyro Malefor's (WHERE THEY ALMOST GET KILLED! smilie) lair, but his death seemed... unclimatic. I dunno, I just didn't like it. Now, the VERY last scene that you see (after the credits) shows just what happens to Ignitus (seeing as we heard him say that a dragon's soul doesn't leave the earth after death), that of which we first see the Chonicler trying to make sense of what's just happened. Well, that doesn't matter; he calls Ignitus over, which of that he fades away, making Ignitus take on a blue shade in color, and then a clock of a sort of and a crystal christening him The "new" Chonicler. That was nice, but I was expecting Ignitus to have bit more of a change besides some failing attempt at clothing and a sickly color to him.
    - (PHAIL!) Ending. You know what? This isn't even going to be scored because of my hatred. And don't even read it if you don't wanna know my opinion of a such coupling and dragon.
    WHAT THE **** WAS WITH CYNDER?! She's staying around with Spyro at the end, and yes, that's understandable with friends, but hereagoes out little purple buddy doing SOMETHING, and whaddya here? "I love you..." WHAT THE ***?! AND THEN!, after Ignitus is given his new role, they're flying around with these ol' happy looks on their face and they're chasing eachother-- WHAT THE ****?!

And you know what, I didn't like Cynder very much throughout this game... her character just went from depressing pwning to pwn'd phail.

- (8/10) Sparx Gets Left Behind. You know... when I saw that wall of fire, I KNEW Sparx was gonna have to stay behind. I actually forgot about that, seeing as Sparx was terrible in this game. I was happy about this. ^v^

• General Funness (7/10)
  • No, there's just not nearly as much fun in this game as their was in TEN and ANB. The enemies are very similar, lack health bars, have insane health amounts (or Spyro and Cynder are just hatchlings), such of that. Getting around the world isn't very much fun, seeing as the greatness of flying goes away after a while and running around is slow and they often sink into the grass (the marjority of the world has grass).

• Graphics (10/10)
  • Amazing. No complants here.

• Music (5/20)
  • So many points can be earned for music.. yet it phails. 7/8 of it is reused, and what isn't just isn't listenable. It DOES fit the level very nicely though.

• Camera (2/10)
  • PHAIL! Whenever you CAN control the camera, you have great control over it. Although, since these idiots don't know how a camera should work, you're left running around blindly.

Hmm...
    (Running/Walking: 5/10)
    (Jumping: 2/10)
    (Flying: 7/10)
    (Climbing: 9/10)
    (Ground Combat: 6/10)
    ((Air) Jumping Combat: 8/10)
    ((Air) Flying Combat: 3/10)
    (Blocking: 9/10)
    (7/10) Ignitus:
    Death and Afterlife.

(PHAIL!) Ending.
    (8/10) Sparx Gets Left Behind.
    General Funness (7/10)
    Graphics (10/10)
    Music (5/20)
    Camera (2/10)

So... 88 out of 150. 5.87/15

Okay, now it's kind of pathetic.

Decent game. I MIGHT replay this... dunno though, I'm going to bed. It's midnight.
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:54:14 26/10/2008 by Shrazer320
    Forgotten World Platinum Sparx Gems: 5164
    #2 Posted: 10:51:49 26/10/2008
    That leaves me to decide the graphics, the sound lost 1.5 points out of 5. controls lost 2.5 out of 5, performance lost 2 out of 5, fun factor lost 1.7 out of 5. bugs lost a major 2.7 out of 5, lasting appeal lost 2 out of 5. and worth buying lost 2.3 out of 5, ...OUCH, and I haven't even played the game yet.
    Interesting rating Shenzi. not half bad.
    ---
    Life's a struggle, but when you die, it's how you handle life.
    HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
    #3 Posted: 15:03:16 26/10/2008
    I got the guide today. From what I saw, Malefor should only take me 3 minutes. Why? Failure rip-off of all three parts of the Mundus battle from Devil May Cry.

First part in the sky, trying to build up energy with weak attacks to use a Fury (unless you have the armor already in which case kudos). Second part is falling to earth and fighting him on a battlefield of scattered platforms. Third part is the %@!? what's with the stupid shield why won't you die already part. And the last part has something akin to the DS version of ANB in that if you phail to press the right buttons at the right time you have to start the third round of the Malefor fight again.
    ---
    Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
    Spyro LUVA Blue Sparx Gems: 638
    #4 Posted: 16:08:16 26/10/2008
    It did that in every DotD boss fight.

Also, I don't like that Cynder whispered "I love you..." to Spyro. It's such an overdone overrated cliche! Other than that, the ending kicked @$$!!!
    Ilove how it tricks you into thinking it's sad, but then gets really happy! I don't know why you complained Shenzi. Could you explain a little more?
    ---
    Look @ my YouTube channel! PLZ subscribe if you like!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SpyroLUVA
    OBEY THE HIPNOTOAD! THE HIPNOTOAD KNOWS ALL!
    Firestar Yellow Sparx Gems: 1897
    #5 Posted: 16:17:51 26/10/2008
    This game is great, I don't know how there would be any complaints about it. Except for Sparx's voice ... :/
    spyroking16 Blue Sparx Gems: 776
    #6 Posted: 16:19:35 26/10/2008
    The part where Cynder whispered to Spyro saying "I Love You" that was the most dramatic scene in the whole game. It was so beautiful I almost cried.
    ---
    Embrace The Darkness
    ice_bomb Blue Sparx Gems: 833
    #7 Posted: 16:24:49 26/10/2008
    Quote: spyroking16
    The part where Cynder whispered to Spyro saying "I Love You" that was the most dramatic scene in the whole game. It was so beautiful I almost cried.

Same here. But the only difference was is that I did cry.
    ---
    I thought we were ready... I thought they were safe. Please click my eggs!

#8 Posted: 18:41:01 26/10/2008 | Topic Creator
    I added music and camera to my review. Gawd, this game wasn't very good...

Quote: Forgotten World
    That leaves me to decide the graphics, the sound lost 1.5 points out of 5. controls lost 2.5 out of 5, performance lost 2 out of 5, fun factor lost 1.7 out of 5. bugs lost a major 2.7 out of 5, lasting appeal lost 2 out of 5. and worth buying lost 2.3 out of 5, ...OUCH, and I haven't even played the game yet.
    Interesting rating Shenzi. not half bad.

OH THE GLITCHES! GAWD! I can't believe how MANY there are! >-<

Quote: HIR
    I got the guide today. From what I saw, Malefor should only take me 3 minutes. Why? Failure rip-off of all three parts of the Mundus battle from Devil May Cry.

First part in the sky, trying to build up energy with weak attacks to use a Fury (unless you have the armor already in which case kudos). Second part is falling to earth and fighting him on a battlefield of scattered platforms. Third part is the %@!? what's with the stupid shield why won't you die already part. And the last part has something akin to the DS version of ANB in that if you phail to press the right buttons at the right time you have to start the third round of the Malefor fight again.

lawlz, Malefor's too powerful. It should only take ten minutes at the most. I kept dying when I was close to defeating him in the first part because he unleashed a powerful breath attack and I was right in front of his head. TvT

Quote: Spyro LUVA

Also, I don't like that Cynder whispered "I love you..." to Spyro. It's such an overdone overrated cliche! Other than that, the ending kicked @$$!!!
    Ilove how it tricks you into thinking it's sad, but then gets really happy! I don't know why you complained Shenzi. Could you explain a little more?

Complained about what? Cynder and her screwed up nature?

Quote: Firestar
    This game is great, I don't know how there would be any complaints about it. Except for Sparx's voice ... :/

@_@ Have you not played it?!

Quote: spyroking16

-_- I felt a few joints, and even a random vein in my neck, pop when I heard that.
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:56:03 26/10/2008 by Shrazer320
    Firestar Yellow Sparx Gems: 1897
    #9 Posted: 19:08:41 26/10/2008
    I have played it
    #10 Posted: 21:18:06 26/10/2008
    Quote: Spyro LUVA

Rip of DMC? I doubt it. >_>

Also, the more cliché thing would have been to kill her off. <.<;
    ---
    #11 Posted: 21:29:13 26/10/2008 | Topic Creator
    Would have been better! Now they'll make The Legend of Cynder!

If you get to play as Cynder's dark and adult form, I'mma buying it! XD
    cynder21 Gold Sparx Gems: 2214
    #12 Posted: 21:33:28 26/10/2008
    i though dawn of the dragon was great!
    ---
    This old place has changed too much
    BlackCrashx2 Green Sparx Gems: 389
    #13 Posted: 00:03:21 27/10/2008
    First off, want system are you playing it on?

I hear the PS2 version is glitchy and has frame rate problems, not sure about Wii version, but the PS3/360 version has no problems, the camera is fine. Oh, and flying is swell. (IMO)
    angelfever Red Sparx Gems: 28
    #14 Posted: 00:43:04 27/10/2008
    LOL everything but the camera in the 360 was great ur console mustve sucked or somthing or u just sucked at this game
    #15 Posted: 00:45:03 27/10/2008 | Topic Creator
    I beat the game in ~7 hours. Yes, I had some issues, but I'm not an imbecile.

Quote: BlackCrashx2
    First off, want system are you playing it on?

I hear the PS2 version is glitchy and has frame rate problems, not sure about Wii version, but the PS3/360 version has no problems, the camera is fine. Oh, and flying is swell. (IMO)

...PS3 version is as crappy as the PS2 version. Camera is VERY okay.
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:45:47 27/10/2008 by Shrazer320
    #16 Posted: 01:10:55 27/10/2008
    Here's my review for shorts, I'll explain everything later.

Graphics= 3.5 Sound= 3.6 Controls= 2.4 Performance= 3.2 Fun Factor= 3.5 Bug Factor= 2.1 Lasting Appeal= 2.9 Worth Buying= 3.1
    Total= 3.0
    =60
    ---
    #17 Posted: 02:16:34 27/10/2008
    Quote: Shrazer320

Yes! Dark Cynder playable FTW! ^_^
    ---
    #18 Posted: 03:04:02 27/10/2008 | Topic Creator
    Quote: Forgotten World
    Here's my review for shorts, I'll explain everything later.

Graphics= 3.5 Sound= 3.6 Controls= 2.4 Performance= 3.2 Fun Factor= 3.5 Bug Factor= 2.1 Lasting Appeal= 2.9 Worth Buying= 3.1
    Total= 3.0
    =60

Out of?

Quote: HIR
    Quote: Shrazer320

Yes! Dark Cynder playable FTW! ^_^

XD
    SpyroGirlCazy Emerald Sparx Gems: 4436
    #19 Posted: 17:44:11 27/10/2008
    this will help me when i get the game in the UK to agree with you or dissagree with you.
    #20 Posted: 00:03:08 28/10/2008
    this is out of 5.0
    3.0/5.0 and 60/100

and the reasons for the score.
    Graphics=3.2 For the good amount of detail that they put into the game. It also had some beautiful art in the game, plus with the interesting ways of doing some of the art. Unfortunetly it had some flaws and lacked work, as in it looked mildly blocky for the PS3.

Sound=3.8 The music was great and the sound effecs were not half bad. Unfortunetly it was copied from previous games, and the voice acting was bad.

Controls=2.5 Not only were the controls slow, they were minerly bugged, and minerly aquard, yet kinda well thought out. Some of it seemed unresponsive, and other parts were sensitive. But they still work, barely.

performance= 3.1 The plot was better than all of the other spyro games have ever come up with. The game is kinda pretty and the music is beautiful. Then there is the downside, it is Bugged, copied from other games, and the script was horrible.

Fun Factor= 3.5 It is challenging, adventurus and you are free to go almost anywhere. The enemies ranged from incredibly easy, to incredibly hard. The bosses have a very nice challenge to them, and thanks to the company, there are puzzles. But there are bug problems that could go in the way. Also some challenges get way to hard for the 10 year olds to even like.

Bug Factor= 1.9 let me say that this game is full of bugs, glitches, and hicups. But you can still get through the game, but the PS3 game should not have been this bugged.

Lasting Appeal= 3.0 you might love the game, it is heart pounding in many areas. But this game might not catch your attention for another round untill a while. They didn't make the game too exiteing, the glitches don't help.

Worth Buying= 3.3 let me say, if you are into exitement, and you love the spyro series. It is worth the buy, you also may love the challenge or it may make the videogamers give up due to you being less than the average player. So it is worth the try, unless you are not good at videogames.
    So I Made some changes, Big deal but I might be makeing some updates to let me settle down for the true score. okay shenzi, how hard was the game?
    ---
    #21 Posted: 01:57:21 28/10/2008 | Topic Creator
    It still phails. XD
    #22 Posted: 02:58:53 28/10/2008
    Just wait till I get to review it! ^_^
    ---
    jamieque Blue Sparx Gems: 766
    #23 Posted: 02:00:17 30/10/2008
    Good grief, people! The game wasn't perfect but my PS2 version of the game had no bugs or glitches from what I can see. I have played the game and thought it was done well.

Okay, there were things I would have done differently if I had been the one doing the storyline for these games but I have to give Chris and his team credit. They did an okay job. Now, Chris and his team did forget the Dragon Time ability for Spyro in the final game which messed things up somewhat. The story was somewhat predictable and I won't be using the 'Ignitus is the new Chronicler' part of the story for Dragon of Destiny. I already had plans for this just in case Chris and his team pulled a stunt like this. Anyway, the whole trilogy has had its flaws and mistakes. None of the other characters have had any character development. Even Spyro himself was a tad bit on the boring side but at least he got some emotional development. Even Cynder was allowed to develop somewhat.

However, everyone else was pretty much just there and that was a real shame. I am sorry I have to say this but I really didn't care that Ignitus died and it wasn't because I didn't like him... it was more along the lines that his coming death was so predictable. I mean come on you mean to tell me that Cyril the Ice Guardian and Terrador the Earth Guardian couldn't use their powers to put out the fiery trail the Destroyer was leaving behind him. Cyril couldn't feeze him solid with the help of other Ice Dragons like him. Terrador could have use the earth to put out the flames for petes sake. My point is that there should have been more then one ending. Instead the final game ended up being like the previous two despite the graphic upgrade in the art style. The storyline was too linear and predictable. It had very little to no emotional impact to me. I wanted to care about the characters... I really did but the way things were done storywise made me too disappointed to care.

This whole reboot was just a Lord of the Rings/Star Wars/Dragonheart copy in many ways. I liked the more mystical aspect of the fact that dragons don't die but become one with the world around them. However, I already did this in my own series so it was not quite a surprise. I am sorry to say this but Chris and his team made mistakes in the final game. The Chronicler was one big blunder that was not necessary. He felt like a tacked-on-character since his first appearance in Eternal Night. Was he really that important? Really? Also, like I said above about Spyro's Dragon Time ability being absent in Dawn of the Dragon... That made no sense and made this final chapter of the whole trilogy feel like it was not quite as connected to the rest of the trilogy as it should have been.

There is also the way the second game ended and third game began. Spyro froze himself, Cynder and Sparx in the Well of Souls as it collapsed around them. The end of Eternal Night shows that Hunter found them in what was left of the Well of Souls aka ruins. The ruins looked older then 3 years. However, Dawn of the Dragon starts with this stupid 'we are in the Catacombs.... what the heck. How did a Cavern become the Catacombs. It made me feel like Chris and his team hadn't quite thought the whole storyline out from start to finish. I know that Chris said that he and his team had to edit out a lot of the story... Gee, you think! Let me say this Chris... Get yourself a better editor because the one you have didn't do that great of a job. The level of story quality has been very uneven from the beginning. The constant 'copy and pasting' ideas from other stories just turned my stomach.

This is why I said this reboot was a waste of time because in truth it was. The supporting characters were not well developed. Ignitus and Spyro got the most focus and even that wasn't enough to make this trilogy worth doing. Cynder was interesting for about one game and then Chris and his team ruined her by changing out her voice actress for each game. Sparx was the same thing as Cynder. Only Spyro, Ignitus, Cyril, Terrador and Volteer had the same voice actors from the beginning and they didn't even have as much screen time as Spyro or Ignitus did. The Chronicler was just a wasted character who should not have even been added into the mix. He was a useless character from the get go. He was just there to serve as a story aid for Spyro. He pops up briefly in Eternal Night and is not heard from again until the end of Dawn of the Dragon.... what a waste. Cynder could have had her own side quest in Eternal Night that helped develop her and set up her for the important role she would play in Dawn. Chris and his team should have hired more staff and spent more money to make Eternal Night more then it was but they didn't. Malefor was boring and came off as arrogant jerk who like all cookie cutter villains who say they have been manipulating everything from the beginning. Every world ending villain says this or a variation of this. So please spare me... Malefor was stupid fell into his own predictable trap. He put Cynder and Spyro together and that was a big mistake. He underestimated both of them. Bad idea, Malefor. Cynder may have come off as a somewhat inconsistent dragoness thanks to the way Chris and his team potrayed her but she was still very powerful thanks to Malefor. As for Spyro... he was basically the light to Malefor's darkness. The two of them were like my take of Spyro and Flame in my Dragon of Destiny series.

Can I sue Chris and his team for stealing my ideas? Just kidding because it isn't worth the time.

Spyro was Order and Malefor was Chaos. That was no surprise there. Also, the save the world plot is way overrated because it has been done to death already. It would have been more intresting if the storyline had been less predictable. I don't care if they only had one year to do each game in trilogy. They seem to pull it off pretty well with the staff they had with Krome Games. Did they have to change production teams right in the middle of the project? That is a good question. The answer, for me at least, is no.

Sorry, Chris, you and your team crafted a beautiful new take on Spyro and his world but in the end... it was not really worth it. To me at least. As a writer myself I think it fell flat on its face for having too many plot holes, poor character development and too many cast changes for Cynder and Sparx who made them both inconsistent, dull characters. The change in the production team for Dawn was the final nail in the coffin for me. They could have easily have revamp the original universe instead of this grandiose reboot. They could have saved the money and just crafted a new original storyline for the old Spyro. Oh wait... never mind...

I'll do it for Chris and his team. Thanks guys...

However, despite the disappointment, I thank Chris and his team for their effort. I know it is never easy to take pre-existing story and character and reimage him and his story. I give them an A for effort but a D for the final result.
    SequoiaDragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3930
    #24 Posted: 01:25:59 15/11/2008
    You're right about the "copy and paste" thing. All throughout DotD I couldn't help but find Lord of the Rings refrences everywhere. And it wasn't just Lord of the Rings... there was a Harry Potter rip
    at the end where Malefor's magic beam collided with Spyro and Cynder's, and then a bunch of dragon spirits came out... just like in Goblet of Fire where Harry and Voldemort's wand beams connected and released the spirits of Voldemort's victims.

That was just too obvious.
    ---
    My book Harahpin is now on sale! smilie
    Cynder_Rox Gold Sparx Gems: 2322
    #25 Posted: 02:21:54 15/11/2008
    Quote: SequoiaDragon
    You're right about the "copy and paste" thing. All throughout DotD I couldn't help but find Lord of the Rings refrences everywhere. And it wasn't just Lord of the Rings... there was a Harry Potter rip
    at the end where Malefor's magic beam collided with Spyro and Cynder's, and then a bunch of dragon spirits came out... just like in Goblet of Fire where Harry and Voldemort's wand beams connected and released the spirits of Voldemort's victims.

That was just too obvious.

I couldn't help but feel a ping there.

It is like a smorgishborg of your all time favorites!^__^
    Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me