Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
Well guys it's been a long ride
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#51 Posted: 18:02:37 13/12/2017
Tomarrow

Is the (possible) end of days
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
#52 Posted: 18:20:28 13/12/2017
It's the final countdown!

(Doot doot doot dooooot, doot doot doot)
---
No fate. Only the power of will.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#53 Posted: 21:03:36 13/12/2017
why is everyone so pessimistic?
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#54 Posted: 21:37:28 13/12/2017
Quote: parisruelz12
why is everyone so pessimistic?

Well, you could be like me, and think that the cable companies (being the greedy scumbags that they are), have been working behind the scenes to ready themselves to separate sites into fast-track and slow-track lanes, and possibly start offering "premium plans" to get faster access to certain sites. And they're just waiting for tomorrow to flip a switch and make that change.

This is probably not what's going to happen. They're instead going to implement it gradually so the average joe doesn't notice and, thus, can't complain about it. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#55 Posted: 03:26:33 14/12/2017
Quote: Trix Master 100
Quote: BlackNight12
Quote: Trix Master 100
Thought it was 14th where they send a bill to congress about their vote to remove Net Neutrality.

Idk I've been spreading the word all over the place before the 12th so seeing people (with much larger audiences) just now getting to it makes me think "you guys either have bad procrastination issues or you literally have minimal care" I understand it's 48-24 hour deadline, but still could've done something sooner instead of making it a close call.

It is the 14th, but the FCC themselves are going to cast a vote whether or not to repeal the current Net Neutrality rules. If they vote to repeal them (which they will) then its over. Net Neutrality is officially repealed.

But, they will probably be sued instantly, then the debate will go to the supreme court, and big tech companies, states, citizens, etc., will petition congress to put a law in place to restrict the FCC from repealing the current rules, overturn their December 14th decision, and keep things as they are now.

More or less, this is what happened the first time they did this, minus the congress' involvement.

On that last part, you have to love how facebook, google, microsoft, etc., have not said a word on the matter, lol.

Really, it isn't going to make a difference, anyway.

Honestly I know what net neutrality is, thought they had to go through the thick process of congress still before they can actually act.

Actually I've seen a facebook message about it. Though I mostly noticed how Tumblr posts are being deleted about net neutrality because the site is owned by verizon and won't that technically be breaking a law? Since they are deleting a post that isn't really anything against the terms and conditions, it's more or less shutting a group of people up.

Yeah, the FCC has the power to repeal the Net Neutrality rules that are currently in place all by themselves. They were created during the Obama-administration on February 26th, 2015. The "rules" are not a "law", actually. They were put in place by the Obama-administration's FCC in order to protect a free internet, and they stopped broadband companies from discriminating between content, slowing down websites, bias, etc.

However, the current FCC wants to overturn the 2015 Net Neutrality rules (also known as Title II if you hear somebody saying that instead). Since they never went through congress to begin with, and they were created and set in place by the FCC themselves, they have the authority to repeal them by themselves.

The general assumption is that they will be sued by giant tech companies (or startups even), and then this case will be brought in front of the supreme courts. The concept is that when that happens, the prosecution (us) will argue that the Congress overturn the FCC's December 14th vote to repeal Title II and turn Title II into a law that will force the FCC to permantely abide by the current (as of today and since 2015) rules regarding Net Neutrality.

This is the argument that originally had the rules created when Comcast was sued before. Only this time it will be the FCC being sued, and instead of the FCC creating "rules," it will be the Congress creating "Laws."

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I wouldn't count to much on Congress to help the situation because over 100 republican members of Congress just sent Ajit Pai a glowing letter of 100% approval to repeal the Net Neutrality laws.

https://motherboard.vice.com/e...ress-fcc-letter

XD XD XD

TL;DR - The FCC has the power to kill the internet, and hand it over to your broadband provider. The congress could stop them, but they probably won't, judging by the article above, and it will still be sometime before anyone notices a change.

If anyone read Drawdler's post on the first page, that was a perfect summary of how you can expect everything to play out.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#56 Posted: 03:32:05 14/12/2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/MarchForNetNeutrality/

Not surprised this is happening. I'm sure the biggest March will be in D.C., since, well, that's where this'll all be goin' down.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#57 Posted: 06:39:00 14/12/2017
I wish I could say Congress will do something, but half of them are in bed with mass telecom companies and the other half are too damn spineless.

So it looks like it'll be up to SCOTUS to save the day.
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#58 Posted: 11:52:46 14/12/2017
Well, if today is the day, I want to thank everyone for my time here. It's all been a blast and y'all have been very supportive of me, which I appreciate a whole bunch! thanks darkSpyro, it's been a long ride!
#59 Posted: 13:40:16 14/12/2017
HOOOOLLLLDDD THE DOOOOORRRR!!!!!!
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#60 Posted: 15:39:41 14/12/2017
We gotta storm the White House.
---
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#61 Posted: 15:46:34 14/12/2017
Or we can always sue the pants off of them if it passes? I think this is how it works?
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
#62 Posted: 15:53:24 14/12/2017
If it passes, then we bring out our weapons and charge through every army they throw at us, decimating every last American soldier with full force, before finally bringing down the White House in a manoeuvre so glorious that Sabaton make a song about it.

Then we get back on the internet and fap to fictional anime characters, celebrating our victory in such a way that it's almost as if the internet was never at the brink of calamity.
---
Waaksian Emerald Sparx Gems: 4906
#63 Posted: 17:34:17 14/12/2017
https://twitter.com/RickyRay10...119199644073985

Everyone, please read this. Today isn't the "final day", there's still much more that needs to happen before something like this is implemented. There's still a big chance that the repeal won't come through. We have to keep fighting.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#64 Posted: 17:56:03 14/12/2017
I'm gonna be honest here, some people are over-reacting a little to the outcome. Of course no net neutrality is a bad thing, but it won't erase the entire internet, close all the websites, erase our accounts, or anything like that. What it WILL do is make you pay for whatever websites they want. Let's say Verizon decides they don't like Yahoo. Without net neutrality to keep them neutral, they can block the website behind a fee, and they'll add it to some overpriced payment package, similar to cable. Keep in mind that's still worst-case scenario. What they'll probably start with is slowing down loading times and making you pay for faster loading. So basically the internet will still look exactly the same, but it's gonna come with a boatload of paywalls and lag. Here's a preview of what it would look like, worst case scenario:

[User Posted Image]
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:05:50 14/12/2017 by TrapShadowFan
#65 Posted: 18:02:40 14/12/2017
At this point, it's the courts or bust. I believe the FCC's decision has to also be approved by a federal appeals court. Which could choose to turn around and do the morally and legally correct thing by striking it down and upholding the 2015 policies.
---
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#66 Posted: 18:04:50 14/12/2017
How would it affect smaller websites, like dS? Because I don't think making sure you can access a purple dragon forum is anywhere in their list of priorities.
---
Dead
#67 Posted: 18:07:21 14/12/2017
Quote: mega spyro
How would it affect smaller websites, like dS? Because I don't think making sure you can access a purple dragon forum is anywhere in their list of priorities.

The only thing it would do here is probably the slower loading times. You'll have to pay for the fast lane, and when your plan is over, it's back to the slow lane for you.
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12119
#68 Posted: 18:10:51 14/12/2017
lmao someone called in a bomb threat
#69 Posted: 18:27:35 14/12/2017
Well, that didn't take long. NYS Attorney General's office to file lawsuit seeking to overturn FCC's decision.
---
#70 Posted: 19:00:29 14/12/2017
Quote: Carmelita Fox
lmao someone called in a bomb threat

Oh dang
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#71 Posted: 19:06:16 14/12/2017
A message from the ultimate Memelord and our eternal senPAI

Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#72 Posted: 19:08:22 14/12/2017
i can't believe darkspyro is deleted now
#73 Posted: 19:08:36 14/12/2017
Quote: TrapShadowFan
A message from the ultimate Memelord and our eternal senPAI

Whoa guys! We were completely wrong Ajipadaji! He's hip! He grams!
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Waaksian Emerald Sparx Gems: 4906
#74 Posted: 19:11:59 14/12/2017
Quote: Big Green
i can't believe darkspyro is deleted now

sig'd
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12096
#75 Posted: 19:13:02 14/12/2017
Hear that?

That's the sound of George Orwell and Ray Bradbury rolling in their graves.
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#76 Posted: 19:40:21 14/12/2017
Quote: HIR

I'm certain they were waiting with arrows nocked to fire in case of that happening.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
#77 Posted: 19:55:53 14/12/2017
Goodbye Net Neutiraltiy

Hello people shoving ads down my throat
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#78 Posted: 20:03:43 14/12/2017
Quote: Spyro Fanatic
Hear that?

That's the sound of George Orwell and Ray Bradbury rolling in their graves.

"i warned you about this **** and u didn't listen"
---
#79 Posted: 20:04:10 14/12/2017
So that everyone is on the same page, that was the end of the process of repealing Net Neutrality. They do not have to go through congress or any courts. They created the rule to begin with, and they can repeal it. Which they just did, 3-2.

The supreme court and convincing Congress to overturn that decision is the only way out. Buuuuuuut, I wouldn't rely on that working out, as some 100-something republican members of congress already approved.

Again, the internet will not explode instantly. They are certain to slowly start implementing things over the course of the next few years. That way no one willl notice, and we'll accept it as the new normal. ;-)
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5364
#80 Posted: 20:06:27 14/12/2017
So the internet will slowly become DLC?
---
Soon.
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#81 Posted: 20:07:41 14/12/2017
So there's no real way to ever bring back Net Neutrality? Even if Trump and his entire admin are kicked out next election?
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#82 Posted: 20:14:43 14/12/2017
So that everyone is on the same page, that was the end of the process of repealing Net Neutrality. They do not have to go through congress or any courts. They created the rule to begin with, and they can repeal it. Which they just did, 3-2.

The supreme court and convincing Congress to overturn that decision is the only way out. Buuuuuuut, I wouldn't rely on that working out, as some 100-something republican members of congress already approved.

Again, the internet will not explode instantly. They are certain to slowly start implementing things over the course of the next few years. That way no one willl notice, and we'll accept it as the new normal. ;-)

100-something is actually a somewhat small fraction of Congress, only about 1/5th to be exact. There's 100 members of the Senate & 435 in the House of Representatives that together make up Congress.

Sure, it's still not good that 100 approve it, but 100 isn't scary numbers yet.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:15:19 14/12/2017 by Seiki
#83 Posted: 20:36:55 14/12/2017
Quote: Seiki

100-something is actually a somewhat small fraction of Congress, only about 1/5th to be exact. There's 100 members of the Senate & 435 in the House of Representatives that together make up Congress.

There are actually some republicans who are apalled by this desicion
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#84 Posted: 20:39:46 14/12/2017
Quote: King-Pen Krazy

thats probably cause most republicans aren't actually the scum of the earth and have reletively good heads on their shoulders

its just the obnoxious ones that make us look bad
---
#85 Posted: 20:45:11 14/12/2017
Quote: King-Pen Krazy

By that I meant "there are already." I'm aware of how large congress is. How hard do you think it is to persuade congress...? A little money from the broadband companies will change their minds, trust me.

Besides, this only matters if congress actually wants to step in, which depends on what happens in court. The prosecution might lose the case before it even comes to that.

To the post above all of this... The only way is to take them to court, which is already underway, but they will be arguing if the decision was accurate or not based on the so-called "improvement" from the internet/broadband companies since 2015.
---
#86 Posted: 00:07:03 15/12/2017
So, when does this go to Congress?

And, I know it was last page, but Drawdler nailed it on how it'll be handled. Their gonna gradually see what they can do, so to consumers it won't seem to bad and of course they'll begin to Charge us for certain websites in packages, I'd assume, based on people's images. It's greedy to do this, through and through. I know it CAN have positives and I'm sure there are arguments against NN, but I doubt they're worth it. Thr internet is pretty much a necessity to have now, like electricity. They're gonna make it harder to have it by charging us. And if you're like me and my family, where you're living in a very non-ideal financial situation, at times struggling for paying rent, then this can **** you up.

This is like charging people for electricity PER ROOM in a house. Its absurd.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:14:41 15/12/2017 by HeyitsHotDog
#87 Posted: 01:08:01 15/12/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

And, I know it was last page, but Drawdler nailed it on how it'll be handled. Their gonna gradually see what they can do, so to consumers it won't seem to bad and of course they'll begin to Charge us for certain websites in packages, I'd assume, based on people's images. It's greedy to do this, through and through. I know it CAN have positives and I'm sure there are arguments against NN, but I doubt they're worth it. Thr internet is pretty much a necessity to have now, like electricity. They're gonna make it harder to have it by charging us. And if you're like me and my family, where you're living in a very non-ideal financial situation, at times struggling for paying rent, then this can **** you up.

it's never going to congress

This is the first and last phase
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#88 Posted: 02:49:08 15/12/2017
Quote: Drawdler
I know I said I would add more to my last post about potential hope, but let's forget that; I haven't felt like thinking about fighting the issue more (again, I'm in Australia, I can't do **** when I want to fight which makes this issue even worse for me), and honestly I believe this is a losing battle from what I know. Like I said it's pretty depressing for me to see the Internet go down this route, and it's going to sound silly but... It's because the Internet is just a wonderful invention that truly makes me happy to have freedom with, it makes me happy that everyone here has freedom with it, and throttling it will frankly ruin that freedom and make it another thing I'm primarily cynical about because it's been monetized to **** us in the ass.
I mean, honestly, Internet here is already expensive for what you get in most areas (from what I hear I'm just lucky to live near the CBD) but this is a whole new level of greed. I can't be happy about that, I'll just be thinking back to the days that the Internet was (at least relatively) open.

It's so hard for me to be optimistic and so easy for me to lower my hopes and listen to my pessimistic side, and there are few things that actually defy that. The Internet was one of them, but I'm very pessimistic about its future. Again, it's not going to be destroyed or something suddenly... But ISPs' greed on display here truly disgusts me. At least with things like the loot box debacle of this year they ultimately monetize some entertainment- still awful and indeed, predatory with how they incite the same tics as gambling, but that entertainment is far from a necessity or need and there's still plenty of entertainment that isn't whored out for money by publishers. Throttling and controlling the Internet will affect information. That's much worse, especially when many people don't have time to actually look into things they hear these busy days.

As someone who doesn't go to school and primarily studies art from videos and who's in an LDR and really doesn't get to do much IRL, you can just imagine how ****ing angry I am- even if this ends up not affecting me personally, I know it will personally affect many people, and I'm not someone who's indifferent about that **** because it might not affect me. In this case, anyways. I mean, I've been taking steps to be less reliant on the Internet like reading more books and trying local classes anyway (but videos are much more useful to me lol), but this is still going to be a horrible thing for me and just makes me angry because I know it's going to suck for everyone. I would say at least **** isn't happening yet and I can still enjoy the Internet as it is for now, but it's hard to be happy about that when I know the bull**** is on its way unless somehow this bull is overturned.

I've been listening to Money and Dogs and Pigs more lately. I'm sad if this kind of greed really is the case, which I believe it is, but at least with those songs I don't feel so crazy thinking about it like I'm some conspiracy theorist. I know it's not healthy to keep worrying anyways, but I'm not completely crazy, right?

P.S. Haha BlackNight it's strangely flattering to have you thumb up my post when you actually study business stuff, so thanks.

lol, no problem. You absolutely pinned it. In actuality, that is generally the way that business works, especially when you're implementing something controversial. A slower adaption will make it so that no one actually "notices," and it becomes the normal without much thought from the general public.

Basically, you already said it, so I don't have anything to add to that, lol. XD

One of the worst things for people who don't live in America where this is happening is that if it bodes successful, there's no reason other countries wouldn't want to copy and paste this concept.

Yeah, as far as business tactics go, there is no real downfall for broadband companies. They just have to control the public outcry.

Quote: HeyitsHotDog

It won't be going to congress unless the developing lawsuit against the FCC brings them into it. So far, in just the last 12 hours, New York State, Oregon, California, and Washington have begun proceedings for the lawsuit against the FCC. They are being led by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

The idea (by spectators of the debate) is that during the lawsuit, the prosecution will call upon the issue to be brought to the attention of congress, in order to convine them to pass a law that will keep the Net Neutrality (Title II) rules in place permanantly.

At the very least they want to win the lawsuit and have the courts overturn the decision that the FCC just made today.

Edit: Some good news. Congressional Democrats are intending on filing some legislation to overturn the FCC's decision.

Sooooooooooo, there are plenty of lawsuits and angry members of congress who want Pai's head on a plate.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:02:03 15/12/2017 by BlackNight12
#89 Posted: 03:28:41 15/12/2017
The problem is is that they're all Democrats. With that said, Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) joined the list of Congressional leaders opposing Ajit Pai today. She sent Pai a letter with fellow Senator Angus King (I-Maine) denouncing his proposal.
---
#90 Posted: 04:00:47 15/12/2017
I mean like, if it might take a few years (If my Dad's business project goes through), then it might not be hard for us, but if it takes effect before the end up next year, then odds are it'll be a pain.
---
#91 Posted: 04:06:29 15/12/2017
Quote: Drawdler
Aye, that's true. If it were more immediate I would have messaged you about it sooner (and sorry I haven't been around btw, but have a great Christmas!). I think we can all agree ISPs are pushing for this to exploit us and things will end up worse if they get their way tho.

Same to you, I know your not the biggest fan of holidays, but Merry Christmas!

For sure, it'll end up bad.
---
#92 Posted: 04:24:05 15/12/2017
So far, Mike Coffman, Jeff Fortenberry, and Susan Collins are among republicans who have publically voiced an opposition to the Net Neutrality appeal.

Maybe it will inspire more, lol.

Yeah, probably not.

They're using the CRA legislation, so it requires both the House and Senate's approval to be able to overturn the FCC's decision.

Edit:

To the posts above me, which I did not see until after I posted... If anyone on darkspyro is interested in contacting congress about the issue, then that would be the most significant way to help at this point.

Visit battleforthenet.com.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Edit again:

Ooooooooor, fightforthefuture.org

https://www.fightforthefuture.org/

Either site basically explains how you can help. Fightforthefuture are the same people who led the argument that originally enacted Net Neutrality to begin with. You can go through their site to get to congress.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:40:19 15/12/2017 by BlackNight12
#93 Posted: 14:42:31 15/12/2017
Frankly, this entire year in US politics proved that Congress needs term limits. That's an occasionally voiced desire of conservatives but, you know what, to hell with it. No Senator should be allowed more than three terms (which is almost two decades, the average Joe would kill for that kind of job security) and no representative more than five. Maybe that way, they'd actually focus on working for their constituents, instead of for themselves. >.>
---
#94 Posted: 05:28:51 20/12/2017
lol, Comcast is trying to convince congress to pass legislation in order to "protect" Net Neutrality.

It's a short article...

https://motherboard.vice.com/e...-neutrality-law

lol
---
Iblistech Platinum Sparx Gems: 5099
#95 Posted: 05:31:26 20/12/2017
lol, Comcast is trying to convince congress to pass legislation in order to "protect" Net Neutrality.

It's a short article...

lol

Too late Comcast. You already made your choice in destroying it, and I hope you choke on it.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:32:20 20/12/2017 by Iblistech
#96 Posted: 05:46:13 20/12/2017
Marsha Blackburn (Republican) has written up a bill for congress that will turn Net Neutrality into a law that the FCC will not be able to overturn. It is called the Open Internet Preservation Act (OIPA).

But it requires a majority voet in congress.

...Thoughts?
---
#97 Posted: 13:39:30 20/12/2017
Marsha Blackburn (Republican) has written up a bill for congress that will turn Net Neutrality into a law that the FCC will not be able to overturn. It is called the Open Internet Preservation Act (OIPA).

But it requires a majority voet in congress.

...Thoughts?

Shouldn't be too hard if only around 100 want net nuetirality gone
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me