Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Admin Concerns [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 04:31:28 24/03/2014 | Topic Creator
I've been on this forum for five years running, through the obnoxious trolls, forum messes, and games this site has posted. But nowadays, the moderation here has greatly waned down. Even the lead admin doesn't communicate with most of his userbase as he used to, such as having zero communication skills with the other members, lack of forum updates/details we don't know about (we can't read your mind, dark), solely talking to the current young audience of Skylanders, and other things.

No offense to dark52, but I think the mods are doing a far better job than him at the moment. At least they deal with issues on the message boards as soon as possible, and not leave concerned users in the dark without ever saying a word other than talking about Skylanders-related content.

The reason I still stick around here is that this is the only Spyro community I've grown to adore where I can talk about my interests about the Spyro and Skylanders series, it's hard for me to leave here. But the current lack of admin communication and how he runs the forums now has me doubting...
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#2 Posted: 04:48:00 24/03/2014
To be honest, I gotta agree, and even the HUNTERS aren't doing their job so well. I mean, I started editing that Spyro: Twisted Darkness topic so it wouldn't look like some awkward mess, in which I've reported the posts that really make the topic an awkward mess, but the only post that's not mine and got deleted was HIR's, because I reported his as a "MODERATION NOTICE -- NO LONGER NEEDED IN TOPIC."

In my opinion, HIR's the only one left who takes his job seriously. I'd take a moderation job, but I'm a Red Sparx, so...

BTW, did you read my Guestbook message that I sent to you? I mean, really, why didn't you tell me that you actually wanted a game like that? I mean, I know how involved I get into my discussions (heck, right now, it's 12:46 am where I live (-5 GMT)), but really...

I'm just trying to fit in as a new user. I'm getting better with controlling my fan speculation (no, really, I've made a topic in which any new question I have will JUST GO TO THE TOPIC), but I'm more mature than you think. I just get crazy on the web, hence my freaking username. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:00:20 24/03/2014 by LocoGuy107
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#3 Posted: 05:13:30 24/03/2014
Loco, you've only been at one section. The other mods do their jobs, and there's only a small amount of mods that don't really do much. And in all honestly Dark just picked names to be mods out of a hat, seriously here. Dark in general doesn't care. Most of the mods care actually. You just don't know that because you've only been at one section in your current DarkSpyro life. The older you get on this site, the more likely you'd catch on to it. Also explore more sections please, it'll be a wise/mature thing to do.

Also your post or at least the last bit of it, could've been sent in a pm, instead of posting it in your post. I mean it kind of makes your post a tad into off topic reports.

As for the topic. Dark really makes me question him an awful lot. I mean does he read his GB or pms? Does he even know of certain users doing certain acts? He just makes me feel he doesn't even care for his site. Heck if it weren't for most of the mods actually caring and not really corrupt, this site would have went down like in Feral Heart's current state (which is really bad btw, people are harassing others left and right while the mods just sit there and ban the innocent). I wish Dark can prove he still seems to care. Or at least give a sign that he does.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#4 Posted: 07:56:14 24/03/2014
I still find it hard to get why dark52 didn't make Aura take on a moderator/Hunter position.

And yeah, as a person who has been on this site for a long time (my gem count should actually have about another thousand points or more), I agree that dark52 is hardly ever around now, and if he really doesn't want anything to do with the site he should just entrust it over to someone who is more passionate about it.

i mean this site is so addictive for some reason even after like five years, and i've never stayed on any other forum this long
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#5 Posted: 08:43:21 24/03/2014 | Topic Creator
He commonly posts in the Skylanders sectio nowadays, neglecting the other sections besides updating on News.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#6 Posted: 09:01:33 24/03/2014
I just want to say I've been stalking this site for a lot longer than I've had this account registered for, and I don't have the time today to write a post about how much I agree with what Aura is saying, I just want to say I think this post deserves:
[User Posted Image]

I might write more with my other thoughts later, but thank you for posting this topic. Thank you soooo much for actually posting it up here.

Also, because it hasn't been mentioned in this topic yet, this problem is just amplified because dark hasn't got anyone to communicate in his place. Like Aura said in the first post, he is not communicating and posting to clear up things very often, or responding to any ideas about the site that users post, or when he responds his answer is overly vague, and there is nobody else to communicate for him if he's not communicating just because he's busy. Yeah, there are the Hunters. But from what I've seen, it seems they're a bit confused about some of the rules too, and it seems to me the blame for that belongs large to dark because he doesn't clarify the rules, plus they can't be the ones to respond to site ideas in place of dark anyway because they can't even impliment them or anything. While it's another topic entirely, also, I seriously think he just picked half the mods from whatever applications he got in randomly and really didn't care about actually picking the best mods he possibly could. But that's besides the point, I agree the mods actually seem to be more interested in what they're doing than dark. I'm not trying to say he's a bad person, but he just does a poor job with his adminship. It's not a recent thing either.

I'm saying this as someone who's been a mod on a couple of sites and is currently a mod on another small site- I wasn't even on very big communities, but while it wasn't really a chore or anything it wasn't easy either to check in and make sure everything was in order each day, every few hours. But the difficulty of it doesn't excuse dark not responding, responding veerrryyy lately or giving very vague responses to users' concerns over and over and doing very little to fix things, and he just seems to be becoming even more negligent of the forum as of late. I don't know what exactly is really going on and I'm not gonna claim to. I'm just saying things based on what I think seems to be what's happening from what I've seen on the forums while I've been lurking here(which, like I said, is a lot longer than this account has been registered for, so I've seen a fair bit).
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 09:06:51 24/03/2014 by Arc of Archives
Troll Slug Ripto Gems: 2054
#7 Posted: 11:15:32 24/03/2014
ItsJustMe isn't even active. Aura somehow didn't get the Hunter job. IMO, Aura should replace IJM.

Occasionally, dark responds to guestbooks, mostly for people with friends who aren't getting the activation e-mail.

That's my 2 cents.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#8 Posted: 13:05:37 24/03/2014
Quote: Troll Slug
ItsJustMe isn't even active. Aura somehow didn't get the Hunter job. IMO, Aura should replace IJM.

Occasionally, dark responds to guestbooks, mostly for people with friends who aren't getting the activation e-mail.

That's my 2 cents.

ItsJustMe was replaced partially by me. Now, me, HIR, wakapro77, and JCW555 moderate multiple sections.

And, Locoguy, you "really" think that the other mods aren't doing their jobs? You've been here for about a month, and you're only in one section.

Lastly, to be honest, everyone has a social life on here, dark probably has a job.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:08:00 24/03/2014 by Matteomax
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#9 Posted: 16:07:33 24/03/2014
He should really say what he's working on and not go all "Background Admin" on us. If there's complains or suggestion, he should say his thoughts on them.

It would also be nice for him to have friendly chats. It should by his own will, though. If he just decides to do it so it please others, then it just feels terrible. Basically like telling someone to become friends with another when that person doesn't want to.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:08:51 24/03/2014 by wspyro
#10 Posted: 19:53:24 24/03/2014 | Topic Creator
He's obviously not "busy" when it comes to Skylanders.
---
VespiDragon8 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6572
#11 Posted: 07:27:14 25/03/2014
Although my experience is not more than 4 or more years being here, I must say that dark52 has become very quiet with the users who are on their own website & I think that's not the right way to the attitude of a administrator on a forum. On one hand, it's too amazing that he created this website, but on the hand of the topic, dark52 should be more communicative & be more social, not just talk about Skylanders, although obviously that is the purpose of the second forum here, however, the idea of ******talking about other things is not ruled out.

Regarding in how he manage his own forum: dark should improve his social attitude & as a good administrator, he should listen the suggestions of his own community (the users). What sense does that he connect every day when he does not talk with us? Is almost as if he were not here. Of course & also like all of us, he may have a pretty busy life & maybe do not have enough time to respond to all the users who speak with him, or replies in any place of here or anything else, but that would not be bad if he improve his attitude being here.
Now if dark52, himself see that not having enough time to do his job with his own forum, he should have a second administrator, or if not, add the charge of 'super moderator', so he would have more time for his personal & labor life & at the same time darkspyro.net would be better, because, then, having a second administrator is as if another dark52 were here, or the position of 'super moderator', then, the administrator would give higher charges than a normal moderator, or adding the two positions would not be bad. But, well, it's just a very unlikely idea, I'm not saying this has to be done, even, I do not think that I have a good position to say that.
#12 Posted: 11:43:35 25/03/2014
Quote: VespiDragon8
Although my experience is not more than 4 or more years being here, I must say that dark52 has become very quiet with the users who are on their own website & I think that's not the right way to the attitude of a administrator on a forum. On one hand, it's too amazing that he created this website, but on the hand of the topic, dark52 should be more communicative & be more social, not just talk about Skylanders, although obviously that is the purpose of the second forum here, however, the idea of ******talking about other things is not ruled out.

Regarding in how he manage his own forum: dark should improve his social attitude & as a good administrator, he should listen the suggestions of his own community (the users). What sense does that he connect every day when he does not talk with us? Is almost as if he were not here. Of course & also like all of us, he may have a pretty busy life & maybe do not have enough time to respond to all the users who speak with him, or replies in any place of here or anything else, but that would not be bad if he improve his attitude being here.
Now if dark52, himself see that not having enough time to do his job with his own forum, he should have a second administrator, or if not, add the charge of 'super moderator', so he would have more time for his personal & labor life & at the same time darkspyro.net would be better, because, then, having a second administrator is as if another dark52 were here, or the position of 'super moderator', then, the administrator would give higher charges than a normal moderator, or adding the two positions would not be bad. But, well, it's just a very unlikely idea, I'm not saying this has to be done, even, I do not think that I have a good position to say that.

I like that idea, though. The super moderator concept should be considered. In fact, the position should be called "dragon elder," since they are wiser than Cheetahs but not as epic as Spyro. smilie
#13 Posted: 18:43:06 25/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: VespiDragon8

It would be years before we would see that sort of thing, just like how he did with the addition of moderators.
---
#14 Posted: 22:19:52 25/03/2014
Yeah, considering the whole possibility of the lords and higher lords and even HIGHER LORDS concept (I forgot the name of that European concept. It started with an A or something, right?)
#15 Posted: 22:37:55 25/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Ugh, Loco, I don't know what you're trying to get at. But just stop..
---
#16 Posted: 22:40:52 25/03/2014
Sorry, but hey, at least we agree on one thing, right?
MagicFizz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3551
#17 Posted: 18:30:51 26/03/2014
Quote: Arc of Archives
I just want to say I've been stalking this site for a lot longer than I've had this account registered for, and I don't have the time today to write a post about how much I agree with what Aura is saying, I just want to say I think this post deserves:
[User Posted Image]

I might write more with my other thoughts later, but thank you for posting this topic. Thank you soooo much for actually posting it up here.

Also, because it hasn't been mentioned in this topic yet, this problem is just amplified because dark hasn't got anyone to communicate in his place. Like Aura said in the first post, he is not communicating and posting to clear up things very often, or responding to any ideas about the site that users post, or when he responds his answer is overly vague, and there is nobody else to communicate for him if he's not communicating just because he's busy. Yeah, there are the Hunters. But from what I've seen, it seems they're a bit confused about some of the rules too, and it seems to me the blame for that belongs large to dark because he doesn't clarify the rules, plus they can't be the ones to respond to site ideas in place of dark anyway because they can't even impliment them or anything. While it's another topic entirely, also, I seriously think he just picked half the mods from whatever applications he got in randomly and really didn't care about actually picking the best mods he possibly could. But that's besides the point, I agree the mods actually seem to be more interested in what they're doing than dark. I'm not trying to say he's a bad person, but he just does a poor job with his adminship. It's not a recent thing either.

I'm saying this as someone who's been a mod on a couple of sites and is currently a mod on another small site- I wasn't even on very big communities, but while it wasn't really a chore or anything it wasn't easy either to check in and make sure everything was in order each day, every few hours. But the difficulty of it doesn't excuse dark not responding, responding veerrryyy lately or giving very vague responses to users' concerns over and over and doing very little to fix things, and he just seems to be becoming even more negligent of the forum as of late. I don't know what exactly is really going on and I'm not gonna claim to. I'm just saying things based on what I think seems to be what's happening from what I've seen on the forums while I've been lurking here(which, like I said, is a lot longer than this account has been registered for, so I've seen a fair bit).

THIIISSSSSSSSSSS
---
My life is complete.
Bravo101 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1482
#18 Posted: 03:04:14 31/03/2014
Aura dark isn't going to make you a hunter get over it

I deal with power hungry people all the time on Pokemon Showdown and this is just what they act like
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#19 Posted: 12:51:04 31/03/2014
Quote: Bravo101

I deal with power hungry people all the time on Pokemon Showdown and this is just what they act like

I don't think she cares about becoming a Hunter at all. People that give two craps about a forum's management do exist unlike the majority of Dark Spyro's users, and not all of them want to have power over the rules. Just because some admins can't help but be bad exist doesn't mean we have to deal with it.

(not that Dark52 is as bad as some admins or something, he just needs to show up more and enforce the rules more; he even does a lot of things that might be too much to ask of admins in some places)
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#20 Posted: 19:45:16 31/03/2014

bravo
dont even start
#21 Posted: 22:46:43 31/03/2014
Kinda funny people think that CRITICIZING an admin will get someone favors from him.
Then again,hating Aura is mainstream if the Skylander threads are any indication. What a bandwagon to jump in at a place about a darned dragon that likes to burn sheep.
---
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#22 Posted: 09:47:00 01/04/2014
I think he is active considering the change in the layout.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#23 Posted: 22:46:16 02/04/2014
Dark has always been a questionable admin in my eyes. His habit of constantly keeping secrets has been beyond annoying. And while I can understand an admin/mod's desire to not tell everything, there are several instances where he should've spoken up about something and he chose not to. Dark seems to have a heavy superiority complex, or some sort of idea that "I'm the admin so I don't have to explain myself to you". I don't find that to be good leadership or management, especially when someone asks a legitimate question about the site or its users.

He took a century and a half to choose mods and when he finally did it feels as though he took our avatars, posted them on the wall, and threw darts at them to decide who is mod and who isn't. Some of the choices he made have done well since then but it still feels more miss than hit, and the entire process felt gravely irresponsible. He didn't give a **** and wanted us to be quiet about getting mods, not caring about the quality of said mods.

I'm not going to sit here and say that Dark is all terrible. There are worse people out there in a position of power. But his interactivity with the site and its users is nonexistent and it's shameful. Rather than be an ominous figure high in the mountains he should listen and talk with the users when he has the time (and he clearly has the time to update the site with Skylanders info and April Fool's pranks). Something has gone wrong when we're practically ****ting ourselves whenever he posts outside of the News section.

Quote: Matteomax
Lastly, to be honest, everyone has a social life on here, dark probably has a job.

If you have a job that makes it impossible to take 10 minutes out of your day to respond to a user or two, you shouldn't be owning and administrating a livejournal, let alone a popular video game site.

She gone bro.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#24 Posted: 23:29:41 02/04/2014
Quote: CAV
If you have a job that makes it impossible to take 10 minutes out of your day to respond to a user or two, you shouldn't be owning and administrating a livejournal, let alone a popular video game site.

You're right.

Dark should just close the site down now.

Geesh, folks. No one makes anyone come here. There's a huge difference between being dissatisfied and just empty ****ing.

If you are *this* unhappy with this site, I strongly encourage you to leave. It's obvious that things *aren't* going to change any time soon - so stop working yourselves into a tizzy over things that you can't change and that won't change. Go start your own Skylanders and/or Spyro site. Seriously, it's not like this site posts exclusive content or anything. Throw a blog and a forum up somewhere, link to GameFAQs for game strategy and you've got virtually everything provided by this site.
#25 Posted: 21:44:13 03/04/2014
Quote: UncleBob

Oh,SORRY that I want this place to get better. I suck at management and I just won't create my own (pay for it,if I want quality)forum and see it die too,but I've seen times Dark52 didn't,the mods didn't,so it can get better even if by a little.If you want to join the slipperly slope and tell people that want change to leave,then cover your ears(eyes?) for the incoming statement everyone else,well, excuuuuuse me,princess.

I'll point out the mistakes for as long as I feel like. Told that to Aura when she left because she wasn't going to put up with this crap, telling you guys now; I want it to get better, I'll try until it gets better or I can't try anymore.
---
#26 Posted: 22:40:37 03/04/2014
Again, there's a difference between idle *****ing and constructive criticism.

Things like "dark is so stupid he picked mods by throwing darts at a dartboard" and "dark shouldn't even be allowed to run the site" aren't helpful.
#27 Posted: 22:59:42 03/04/2014
Quote: Bifrost
Oh,SORRY that I want this place to get better. I suck at management and I just won't create my own (pay for it,if I want quality)forum and see it die too,but I've seen times Dark52 didn't,the mods didn't,so it can get better even if by a little.If you want to join the slipperly slope and tell people that want change to leave,then cover your ears(eyes?) for the incoming statement everyone else,well, excuuuuuse me,princess.

I like you.

Again, there's a difference between idle *****ing and constructive criticism.

Things like "dark is so stupid he picked mods by throwing darts at a dartboard" and "dark shouldn't even be allowed to run the site" aren't helpful.

The former statement is a slightly humor-based observation that can lead into further criticism about his choice of moderators and his complete neglect to choose people that were competent, active, or even experienced on the site (gillgrunt was only on the site for 1-3 months when he was chosen and at one point didn't even know how to edit his own post).

The latter statement is a conclusion made from previous observations mentioned throughout the thread.

I'm not about to defend pointless *****ing. But to play devil's advocate here, some people on here have been trying to relay constructive criticism and general suggestions for months if not even years now. And all of it has pretty much fallen on deaf ears. Eventually you would get tired and become more harsh, bitter, or even whiny in tone. I'm not saying it's good, but it's expected.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:02:13 03/04/2014 by CAV
#28 Posted: 00:54:11 05/04/2014
Again, things aren't likely to change or "get better" - and being "harsh, bitter, or whiny in tone" sure isn't going to get things to change.
#29 Posted: 01:32:22 05/04/2014
Aren't likely =/= won't happen. Not sure if you know who you're calling harsh and bitter; you're the one stomping your feet saying nothing's going to get better and we should stop.
---
#30 Posted: 01:51:56 05/04/2014
I believe I said you should stop working yourself into a tizzy. That's hardly being harsh and bitter.

In fact, I encouraged you to start your own website, where you can run things how you feel they should be ran. That should be taken as encouraging and genial. We're not talking about being upset with the government and being told to move to another country - we're talking about putting together a website that consists of a forum and a blog that compiles news stories from other sites. Heck, have you considered offering to buy this site from Dark?
#31 Posted: 14:55:09 05/04/2014
Oh my god. I've seen some unrealistic solutions on the internet over the silliest things,but if I didn't see you do similar things in the Scalping thread from the merch Skylanders board I'd think this was a troll post.

I don't have a job,I don't have more than 3 hours a day to do computer things if I don't have to buy materials or spend the whole day on my art school. How in your mind do you think anyone could just go and make a good, brand new, well managed forum?!
Not everyone can buy 5 Skylanders a month, buy every game they want as soon as it's out on Steam,let alone afford a monthly forum domain that's sort of decent and isn't full of spambots.This isn't Reddit where I can create another sub to move with all my friends and heck I wish I never have to use Reddit for anything - this is a Curse forum,with structure and the nice system of one. Just because I don't like how things I ran,I'll just magically be able to afford another one just like it and manage it for more than a month?

If you think that,then if there's anything I should stop doing,it's arguing with you. Don't even try to tell me to stop, asking things to get better and spending just 20 minutes a day or another writing some crap is realistic. Wanting me to shell out time and money I couldn't possibly have to satisfy your wishes of less whining is ridiculous.
---
#32 Posted: 15:43:44 05/04/2014
I believe I said you should stop working yourself into a tizzy. That's hardly being harsh and bitter.

In fact, I encouraged you to start your own website, where you can run things how you feel they should be ran. That should be taken as encouraging and genial. We're not talking about being upset with the government and being told to move to another country - we're talking about putting together a website that consists of a forum and a blog that compiles news stories from other sites. Heck, have you considered offering to buy this site from Dark?

Thing is, managing a decent site costs money and the people that go here aren't likely to want to move from one site to another. If you want to make a cheap site with a cheap host and nobody but 2-3 people join it, by all means your plan seems fine. But dS became established for a reason and frankly we shouldn't have to do our own legwork for something that isn't a guaranteed success because the admin of this site doesn't want to do his own ****ing job.

As for buying the site from Dark, people have tried asking him a few years ago how much the site would be worth so that they may get the money together to buy it from him. He didn't cooperate.
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#33 Posted: 02:07:31 06/04/2014
Bifrost, trying to convince UncleBob to change his mind about ... well, anything, is about as practical as trying to drown a fish in the ocean.

He will go out of his way to tease and harass you, and then once you start paying attention to him, he'll troll you and then pretend like it was your fault all along.

You seem to have some passion about this topic. I admire that. Don't waste your energy on UncleBob.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
#34 Posted: 02:36:48 06/04/2014
Quote: BahamutBreaker
Bifrost, trying to convince UncleBob to change his mind about ... well, anything, is about as practical as trying to drown a fish in the ocean.

He will go out of his way to tease and harass you, and then once you start paying attention to him, he'll troll you and then pretend like it was your fault all along.

You seem to have some passion about this topic. I admire that. Don't waste your energy on UncleBob.

What are you talking about? From what I've seen, Uncle Bob is the kindest, most enlightened, and most intelligent person on this whole site! Hell, I don't know why he's not admin.
#35 Posted: 06:31:57 06/04/2014
Wow. This is amazing...

Both Bitfrost and CAV posted some interesting things, but this stood out the most...

But dS became established for a reason and frankly we shouldn't have to do our own legwork for something that isn't a guaranteed success because the admin of this site doesn't want to do his own ****ing job.

So, CAV... it's dark's job, eh?
Are you cutting dark's paycheck? I mean, when I go to my job 5-6 days a week, I get a paycheck... so I assume *someone* is cutting dark a weekly paycheck for his job.

You're both right. Getting a site like this going does take time and money - stuff that I'm sure dark has already sacrificed for this site, many times over.

Which is what makes it more insulting when people like you two are all "dark isn't doing his job." and "dark shouldn't be allowed to have this site." - "this" site being HIS site that he's put so much time, effort, and, most likely, cash from his own pocket into.

CAV's above quote is basically "dark already did all the hard work in establishing this site. Why should I have to do any work when I can just yell at him for not running things how I want them to be ran?"

And BahamutBreaker, what happened to you just wanting me to leave you alone? You keep going out of your way trying to drag me back down into fights with you...
#36 Posted: 15:42:52 06/04/2014
So, CAV... it's dark's job, eh?
Are you cutting dark's paycheck? I mean, when I go to my job 5-6 days a week, I get a paycheck... so I assume *someone* is cutting dark a weekly paycheck for his job.

You're both right. Getting a site like this going does take time and money - stuff that I'm sure dark has already sacrificed for this site, many times over.

Which is what makes it more insulting when people like you two are all "dark isn't doing his job." and "dark shouldn't be allowed to have this site." - "this" site being HIS site that he's put so much time, effort, and, most likely, cash from his own pocket into.

CAV's above quote is basically "dark already did all the hard work in establishing this site. Why should I have to do any work when I can just yell at him for not running things how I want them to be ran?"

Dark has indeed put work into this site. It's not enough work though. Thing is, with all the ads on the site it's pretty clear that Dark IS getting some sort of monetary gain from this site. And rather than continue to make the site better or even have the decency to talk to users or respond to concerns and suggestions he'd rather let us sit with our thumbs up our asses and also let other people defend him for him. Those are not the signs of a good admin.

I've been on this site for 4 years and active for nearly 3. Aside from the introduction of mods and the Skylanders news, there's little that Dark has done to improve or change the site for the better. I've been on other forums and while they are far from perfect they at least have a more active and involved staff. There's one in particular that I'm thinking of that has a laundry list of flaws and mistakes, but at least its admin remains active and listens well enough to suggestions (hello Andy). Dark doesn't do that.

If I were to sit there and make a site now and pay into it, the odds are very likely that nobody would choose to go to it. Why? Because people don't like moving from one forum to another. So it would be a waste of time and resources for me or Bitfrost to try investing in our own Spyro/Skylander forum.
But even ignoring that, what it comes down to is that we're talking about darkSpyro, not the Bit and CAV Forum Spectacular. Dark is the admin of this site and should be more involved in it. If he is going to refuse to speak to people or do much for the site outside of "hey look these Skylanders are here", then he shouldn't be an admin. He should just be a news reporter. Being an admin is a responsibility and he shouldn't be allowed to throw it away because "he did some stuff sometimes".

It's not simply running things the way I want them ran. It's running things at all.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:44:40 06/04/2014 by CAV
#37 Posted: 16:22:58 06/04/2014
Thing is, with all the ads on the site it's pretty clear that Dark IS getting some sort of monetary gain from this site.

You realize that the vast majority of fan sites like this are lucky to recoup costs via ads? Even more so with technology-based sites (in this case, video games), where up to 50% of users have Adblockers installed?

Quote:
I've been on this site for 4 years and active for nearly 3.

After four years, you'd think you'd either be used to it or have left by now. smilie

Quote:
Because people don't like moving from one forum to another. So it would be a waste of time and resources for me or Bitfrost to try investing in our own Spyro/Skylander forum.

But if you have a huge list of flaws for this site and everyone is unhappy with the way this site is ran, then starting your own site - where you can correct all those flaws - seems like it'd be worth moving towards. Don't have the time, money, or patience? Well, that sucks then - but you don't have the right to DEMAND that someone else sacrifice their time, money and patience just to make your internet experience better.

Quote:
Dark is the admin of this site and should be more involved in it. If he is going to refuse to speak to people or do much for the site outside of "hey look these Skylanders are here", then he shouldn't be an admin. He should just be a news reporter. Being an admin is a responsibility and he shouldn't be allowed to throw it away because "he did some stuff sometimes".

"He shouldn't be allowed to run his site, even though it's his site, if he's not going to run it to my standards." Seriously, who are you to make that determination? Why do you think you get to be the one to say someone who created a site should have it taken away from them because you no longer agree with the way he/she runs the site? How old are you?

This isn't a subscription-based website. You haven't paid dark money upfront in exchange for him to keep this site going for any particular amount of time. He owes you NOTHING. And from the tone of your posts, you deserve NOTHING. Heck, dark should just pull the plug on this entire site. "dark shouldn't be allowed to be the admin" = NO DarkSpyro.net. It's his site.
#38 Posted: 16:34:05 06/04/2014
UncleBob your stabs you're making at CAV aren't really valid, so you should just stop.
#39 Posted: 19:03:15 06/04/2014
UncleBob your stabs you're making at CAV aren't really valid, so you should just stop.

Thanks for adding to the conversation.
#40 Posted: 21:26:31 06/04/2014
Well,between the unrealistic assumptions we're rich and full of time in our hands, AND the lack of research to notice Dark gets ad revenue from us and it's probably what pays the domain...I'll take Bahamut's advice to leave the argument. The moment it becomes quoting parts of an argument separately to nitpick them,it's not arguing about an issue but who's winning the argument.
And if it's not about the issue, and it's not going to make it better(probably make it worse because it's offtopic),it's not what I want to spend a little of my spare time on.
---
#41 Posted: 22:14:33 06/04/2014
If running a site like this requires you to be rich and full of time on your hands, are you saying that dark is rich and full of time on his hands?
#42 Posted: 22:28:34 06/04/2014
Nope,but we would probably have to be to get to his forum's level,since swamping the place with ads gets people running away.
Now,before you start making this out of the topic and gets it closed;

[User Posted Image]

I'm actually leaving the thread and not even giving a crap anymore.
---
#43 Posted: 23:30:01 06/04/2014
Do you think dark was rich with a lot of free time when he started this forum?
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#44 Posted: 23:58:41 06/04/2014
This topic has lost it.
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#45 Posted: 12:42:43 07/04/2014
Quote: Mrmorrises
This topic has lost it.

That usually happens when UncleBob gets involved.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
#46 Posted: 13:11:07 07/04/2014
Quote: BahamutBreaker
That usually happens when UncleBob gets involved.

For someone who wants nothing more than for me to leave them alone, you do seem to seek out many chances to try and lob personal insults at me.

Do you want me to leave you alone, or do you want to continue down this path, Mr. Hammer?
#47 Posted: 16:33:52 08/04/2014
I'm starting to get tired of making detailed responses so I'll try to condense things from here on out.

You realize that the vast majority of fan sites like this are lucky to recoup costs via ads? Even more so with technology-based sites (in this case, video games), where up to 50% of users have Adblockers installed?

After four years, you'd think you'd either be used to it or have left by now. smilie

But if you have a huge list of flaws for this site and everyone is unhappy with the way this site is ran, then starting your own site - where you can correct all those flaws - seems like it'd be worth moving towards. Don't have the time, money, or patience? Well, that sucks then - but you don't have the right to DEMAND that someone else sacrifice their time, money and patience just to make your internet experience better.

"He shouldn't be allowed to run his site, even though it's his site, if he's not going to run it to my standards." Seriously, who are you to make that determination? Why do you think you get to be the one to say someone who created a site should have it taken away from them because you no longer agree with the way he/she runs the site? How old are you?

This isn't a subscription-based website. You haven't paid dark money upfront in exchange for him to keep this site going for any particular amount of time. He owes you NOTHING. And from the tone of your posts, you deserve NOTHING. Heck, dark should just pull the plug on this entire site. "dark shouldn't be allowed to be the admin" = NO DarkSpyro.net. It's his site.

That makes it much more likely for a website that I make to fall on its face. Why should I invest money I don't have to make a site that won't succeed just because the admin here doesn't do his job?

Left for the better part of last year but you know I can't stay away from you babes. <3

When the person in question is the owner of a site and makes revenue off it, they have a responsibility to make it the best it can be and at least have the human decency to listen to suggestions and concerns from other people. If he denied suggestions and explained why then while I may not always agree, I can at least say "well he took the time to listen" and move on with my merry day. And I like to think everyone else would too. But by not even acknowledging these things it shows a lack of care and makes me believe he shouldn't be running the site anymore. Give it to somebody who will, or pull the plug.

Also nobody, at least not I, demands that Dark give in to various suggestions. The most we demand is that he acknowledges they exist.
#48 Posted: 13:39:48 09/04/2014
As with you, I'll try to shorten my response. smilie

1) This isn't dark's job. I don't know him, but I'd say it started as a hobby. A hobby is something you do because you enjoy it and you do it at your leisure.

2) I've seen no evidence that dark is actually making much profit off this site. Granted, only he really knows, but if you do some research, you'll find that fan sites rarely recoup costs related to running the site. As big as Skylanders is now, I doubt the ad revenue he gets is enough. If I were him though, I'd incorporate a filter on all links to Amazon/Walmart/ToysRUs, etc so that he'd get Affiliate credit from anyone who clicks-through to purchase items - but that's just me. smilie

3) "Give it to somebody who will, or pull the plug."? There are many users on this site and you feel that just because dark doesn't comment on suggestions that he should just shut the site down? Harsh.

4) You mention not wanting to invest the time/money into a site that is likely to fall flat on its own face... and that's completely understandable. But that's also EXACTLY what dark did. Every challenge you or anyone else would face in creating a new site were the exact same challenges that dark faced when he created this site (I'm guessing. Maybe dark is really English Royalty and has all the free time in the world and bags full of British Pounds to sit upon).
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me