Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
What's the character limit? [CLOSED]
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#1 Posted: 03:16:02 23/03/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm finally editing my Spyro: Twisted Darkness topic (now renamed Spyro Enchanted) to make it more professional and to make it look more like a game discussion, like I'm actually talking about a developing game, but when I was done editing a post, just to see how many characters I needed to shift into my newer posts, I saw that I'm 9014 characters over the limit.

Does anyone know what the limit is?

EDIT: Did some math. It seems like the website usually allows no more than 8000 characters, but I still want the actual number (let me know if font modifiers affect the limit).
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:27:07 23/03/2014 by LocoGuy107
Troll Slug Ripto Gems: 2054
#2 Posted: 23:05:49 23/03/2014
Idk.

Try reserving posts.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#3 Posted: 14:04:54 26/03/2014
I honestly don't know. Your Guestbook announcement post and your signature both tell you the character limit. If you ever go over. Just cut out some of the post and paste it into a new one. You won't really get in trouble. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
darkwolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 7095
#4 Posted: 17:35:11 26/03/2014
Quote: dark52
Minimum is 5 characters, maximum is 8 KB.

So I guess it depends on the size of the message, not the number of characters.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:40:19 26/03/2014 by darkwolf
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#5 Posted: 19:25:55 26/03/2014
Quote: darkwolf

He's answering in his guestbook? Well that's actually very nice!
But the question was asked here first....Does that mean that he checks this place on occasions. Not everytime he signs on?
#6 Posted: 19:52:40 26/03/2014
Quote: darkwolf

Hmm. I believe that a single character (a letter, space, or punctuation mark) constitutes a single byte of data in plain text. So that would mean the max is around 8000 characters per post, including using BBCode tags. If you consider the average word in the English language to be 5 letters, that's an average of 1600 words per post, I guess. <.>;
---
#7 Posted: 22:12:04 26/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Well, I wanted to know whether the codes affect the limit.
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13898
#8 Posted: 22:25:18 26/03/2014
They don't for the minimum but do for the maximum.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
#9 Posted: 01:18:44 27/03/2014 | Topic Creator
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.

I'm sorry, but aren't administrators supposed to be more light-hearted than that?
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#10 Posted: 01:44:51 27/03/2014
^ Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's a Futurama reference. He's just joking
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:46:05 27/03/2014 by LevanJess
#11 Posted: 01:55:41 27/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: LevanJess
^ Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's a Futurama reference. He's just joking

[User Posted Image]
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#12 Posted: 03:22:32 27/03/2014

You're very correct!
In addition! That's his Signature! It's not part of the reply.
#13 Posted: 14:37:49 27/03/2014

Correct. He likes the show. It's also why this...

[User Posted Image]

appears in the random image box at the top of the page.
---
#14 Posted: 19:21:48 27/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR

[User Posted Image]

Meanwhile, I'm probably the only one who likes Spyro in a way to think of an epic game idea that might actually WORK. I want to give his wings back. They took his wings away, and I want to give them back to him.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#15 Posted: 19:29:27 27/03/2014
Quote: LocoGuy107

[User Posted Image]

Meanwhile, I'm probably the only one who likes Spyro in a way to think of an epic game idea that might actually WORK. I want to give his wings back. They took his wings away, and I want to give them back to him.

They didn't take his wings away. Be happy that he's still alive, and wasn't forgotten like Crash Bandicoot.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#16 Posted: 21:00:28 27/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Matteomax
Quote: LocoGuy107

[User Posted Image]

They didn't take his wings away. Be happy that he's still alive, and wasn't forgotten like Crash Bandicoot.

Yeah, but it don't feel the same no more. I WISH, I really WISH, that, some way, somehow, that they brought back the original while making him "Naughty Dog" epic. You know, what I really want to do is PLAY a new Spyro game, not make one. And I don't want to deal with Skylanders or anything, since it ain't epic enough; I want it to be crazy, like Hollywood action-movie crazy (or "Naughty Dog" epic, like Uncharted), and I imagined a way to make that kind of epicness. Remember my idea about Spyro: Twisted Darkness (now renamed Spyro Enchanted, since I realized how big the darn thing would need to be)? Well, before, I wouldn't have minded a light-hearted collect-a-thon, but I now see Spyro's life in a different life: it was supposed to be more intense, starting from Spyro: Shadow Legacy. I was ready to be more excited than ever before, but The Legend of Spyro KILLED that excitement. Now that Skylanders came out, a new Spyro game that somehow takes the classic Spyro and the humor of his life, in which those game elements would be fused with Hollywood action, cinematic emotion, and TLoS elements, would now be my ideal game. However, I noticed that in order for that to happen, I would need to make the game myself (or at least the demo). I'm sick of waiting for Shadow Legacy sequel, guys!!! It's time to see what the classic would have been MADE OF!!!!!

Really guys, all I REALLY want to do is to PLAY a new Spyro game, not make one.
#17 Posted: 14:45:24 28/03/2014
Naughty Dog has been tackling more mature themes and games for awhile now. In fact, the Last of Us started out as a darker and edgier Jak & Daxter game. I don't think the current studio would be right for a kid-friendly series like Spyro. But this is massively off topic... <.>
---
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#18 Posted: 15:26:25 28/03/2014
This topic started with a Character limit

It is now a Admin Topic talking about Signatures and Idon'tknowwhatandall....
#19 Posted: 17:30:47 28/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Naughty Dog has been tackling more mature themes and games for awhile now. In fact, the Last of Us started out as a darker and edgier Jak & Daxter game. I don't think the current studio would be right for a kid-friendly series like Spyro. But this is massively off topic... <.>

I want the new Spyro game to be kind of a mix. It won't be so dark that it would end up getting an M from ESRB, but I realized it can't be entirely humorous anymore. Let's just say that it's like a modern-world spinoff of Lord of the Rings, except that the focus is on mostly dragons. At least Lord of the Rings isn't dark enough to be R or M.

No, really, I just want to have some TLoS tones in there now, but Naughty Dog barely messes up a game, and they NAILED Uncharted and The Last Of Us. They just need to back off from the M path like they did with the entire Uncharted series, and they're set to make the game.

Heck, maybe Insomniac should collaborate. They know humor, but they're going to need more cautious about making the Spyro revival. They've been using too much humors in most of their latest Ratchet & Clank games, and they need to find humor that doesn't completely rub off from THAT series. You can take my personality, though, and MAYBE, just MAYBE, it might be something for humor.
#20 Posted: 19:40:57 28/03/2014
Quote: NINJAsk11

That's our darkSpyro. *laugh track*
---
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#21 Posted: 19:51:27 28/03/2014

Frick yes!
#22 Posted: 21:33:39 28/03/2014 | Topic Creator

I actually have to agree on this one.
[User Posted Image]
But this topic will just die soon. The problem's solved.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me