darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > In Skylanders 4 the NPC's should know who your Skylanders are
Page 1 of 1
In Skylanders 4 the NPC's should know who your Skylanders are [CLOSED]
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#1 Posted: 10:17:23 01/02/2014 | Topic Creator
I am stick of hearing Skylander to every single Skylander why can't they make them say each characters name?

They did it in Spyro's Adventure (With Spyro, Trigger Happy and Gill Grunt) When first putting them on the portal. They also did it with the oracle in Giants and he says every Skylanders name.

So why can't they do it for every NPC?
---
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#2 Posted: 11:06:46 01/02/2014
I've been thinking of that too, sometimes they also say "He" to a Female Skylander which pisses me off at times.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#3 Posted: 11:07:54 01/02/2014
Well there is a hundred something skylanders out there < I think ? > thats alot of extra programing work and space if all npc,s call them each by their names .

One of the reasons some people consider the original game as best is well , they only had 32 skylanders . Every new skylander game has to deal with all new toys and all the old ones . I wonder how long they can keep it up or if they will cut some fat .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#4 Posted: 11:14:20 01/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Eighty different characters. Never mind variants.

Maybe they should take the time to do this and just add a better feel to the character you are playing.
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#5 Posted: 11:36:36 01/02/2014
Quigley, from the first game, also said something unique to each character, when talked to the first time.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#6 Posted: 11:54:44 01/02/2014
I'd rather they bring back "Portal Master Magic" and start treating you like a Portal Master again, doing that would just make one MORE disconnected

It's been gone over more than a few times (and is probably due again soon smilie) so I won't make another post about it now, but it was a huge part of the immersion that was in the first game and is totally lacking in virtually all of Giants and SF.
spyrothe111 Ripto Gems: 3702
#7 Posted: 12:44:21 01/02/2014
I was hoping for this too. smilie
It would also be nice if the Skylanders could interact with the NPC's (I actually had a dream I was playing a future Skylanders game and smilie was talking to a NPC). But I guess they're too many Skylanders for that... smilie
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#8 Posted: 13:44:51 01/02/2014
Quote: Dark fhoenix
Well there is a hundred something skylanders out there <I think?> thats alot of extra programing work and space if all npc,s call them each by their names.

It's not so much that - it's a very easy process in fact - they already have variables that identify the Skylander your using (otherwise the game wouldn't work smilie) so they just need to use this.

The issue we have is... There are hundreds of Skylanders. Back in SSA when we had 32, it was conceivable to have V/A record 32 lines for Quigly and no one else. But now? Even if you don't count in-game variants, you have to account for at least the 256 swap force combinations - that alone is a huge number to be dealing with.

And if they didn't want it to sound forced, like a voice clip of a characters name was just shoved in, then they'd have to record every line when every NPC says the characters name around 400 times.

Not only is that huge, and also a lot of money, but imagine the file size? You have an extra 399 unnecessary audio files for each NPC. But, However, something as simple as saying "him" or "her" would be fine.
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#9 Posted: 18:34:10 01/02/2014
Quote: bionicle2809
Well there is a hundred something skylanders out there <I think?> thats alot of extra programing work and space if all npc,s call them each by their names.

It's not so much that - it's a very easy process in fact - they already have variables that identify the Skylander your using (otherwise the game wouldn't work smilie) so they just need to use this.

The issue we have is... There are hundreds of Skylanders. Back in SSA when we had 32, it was conceivable to have V/A record 32 lines for Quigly and no one else. But now? Even if you don't count in-game variants, you have to account for at least the 256 swap force combinations - that alone is a huge number to be dealing with.

And if they didn't want it to sound forced, like a voice clip of a characters name was just shoved in, then they'd have to record every line when every NPC says the characters name around 400 times.

Not only is that huge, and also a lot of money, but imagine the file size? You have an extra 399 unnecessary audio files for each NPC. But, However, something as simple as saying "him" or "her" would be fine.

Plus with does files yes small you would need more console memory then normal and the wii which I imagine will not be discontinued for a maybe a few more years most likely won't be able to support the memory.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#10 Posted: 19:04:15 01/02/2014
Quote: azz01
Quote: bionicle2809

Plus with does files yes small you would need more console memory then normal and the wii which I imagine will not be discontinued for a maybe a few more years most likely won't be able to support the memory.

The memory of the console isn't an issue at all - it's just the disk space. The PS3, PS4, XBO and Wii U could all handle the amount of disk space you'd need to store 400+ lines for every character in the game (since they all support 25+GB of storage on their disks), but even then it's the issue of paying VA's to record that much and then actually having the time to record it.

That'd also be a nightmare to bug test - since you'd have to go through every combination of every character with every NPC that says a characters name. We're talking 400+ tests for every NPC and then there only has to be 3 times in the whole game where a NPC says the characters name for that to be over a thousand tests.

But let's say they did it for every character, let's substitute every time a character says "Skylander" in the game and replace that with 400 versions of the same line - and then then bug test all 400 of these lines and do it again for the next time someone says a characters name instead of "Skylanders".

Of course, there's an alternative. No voice acting.
Gohdan Green Sparx Gems: 289
#11 Posted: 19:17:52 01/02/2014
Okay, let's put it this way.

256 Swap Combinations
32 SSA Characters
8 SG Cores
8 Giants
30 Series Two's
10 Series Three's
16 Lightcores
38 In-Game Variants
16 SSF Cores
Whatever amount of new characters in Skylanders 4.

256+32+8+8+30+10+16+38+16= 424 (Plus the new characters in Skylanders 4.)

Do you understand how difficult that would be?
---
"Home is a pin...humanity...cattle."
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:50:03 01/02/2014 by Gohdan
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#12 Posted: 23:19:01 01/02/2014
As cool as that would be, the last few posts are right. Having the voice actors record at least 408 variations of every line addressing a Skylander is just insane; not to mention it would take up a lot of space and probably couldn't have been included on consoles like Wii and 360 with their small disc size.
---
Purple dragon.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#13 Posted: 23:32:57 01/02/2014
Quote:
Quigley, from the first game, also said something unique to each character, when talked to the first time.

Oh i really enjoyed prince Quigley,s comments .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#14 Posted: 02:15:56 02/02/2014
Quote: wreckingballbob
I am stick of hearing Skylander to every single Skylander why can't they make them say each characters name?

They did it in Spyro's Adventure (With Spyro, Trigger Happy and Gill Grunt) When first putting them on the portal. They also did it with the oracle in Giants and he says every Skylanders name.

So why can't they do it for every NPC?

Doing it at the VERY beginning of SSA in ONE interaction and in ONE interaction in Giants is not the same as having to do the dialogue of EVERY npc for EVERY interaction. In my mind, make the damn game better...this is stuff I personally don't care about and doesn't make the game THAT much better in my humble opinion.

Effort > Reward. Nuff said.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:16:29 02/02/2014 by GhostRoaster
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me