Page 1 of 1
Terrbly sad... need some help [CLOSED]
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#1 Posted: 00:16:18 11/09/2013 | Topic Creator
My disc has recently been done for. My little 1 year old brother has bit my game disc. Is there anything possible to fix?
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:26:56 12/09/2013 by zookinator
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#2 Posted: 00:30:57 11/09/2013
Calling a living thing dumb over a game you sad kid.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
shadowfox Platinum Sparx Gems: 5084
#3 Posted: 01:57:42 11/09/2013
dumb- lacking intelligence or good judgment

not saying its right, but technically applicable

anyway, was the disc cracked? how bad was the bite? if it is only a surface some independent video game shops buff discs and it could be possible to fix. If the picture on the front of the disc has been scratched through most likely no it cant be fixed, if its only the back its possible as long as its not cracked.

And better not to leave anything around infants as they are little wraiths of destruction when it comes to valuables. ebay or amazon should sell the game disc cheap
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#4 Posted: 02:48:21 11/09/2013
A few years ago my four year old destroyed my Wii and PS3 by putting something in the disc tray. Stuff happens. Protect yourself smilie
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#5 Posted: 09:48:49 11/09/2013
Like Shadowfox said, depends on the extent of the damage. And I live alone and have a strict policy that all discs are in the player/console or in the case, nowhere else. With a kid around, that goes double, LOL! I would also put the case away and out of reach. Even if this stuff is "safe" in your room.

Discs (CDs, DVDs, Blurays, whatever) are made in two ways. One is a "sandwich", a THIN metal disc with microscopic dents in it for the laser to read, sandwiched between two layers of plastic. Or rather, surrounded by plastic. The other is to put that metal disc as the back of the label. This is cheaper and easier to damage. It's hard to tell the difference for us end users, but if it's the latter, significant damage to the label COULD indeed mess up the disc. With the former, the label doesn't matter. What's wrong with scratches isn't that it damages the data, but rather refracts the laser from reading it where and when it needs to.

I would try polishing the disc. Intuition says to rub in circles, but you want to rub from the center to the edge, to wipe dust/whatever off the disc. Starting gently, then with more pressure. There has also been a rumour going around that rubbing it with a banana - yes, a banana - can fix scratches (wiping off all banana before trying it in the console, of course). I've seen video that suggests this might actually be true.

And as Shadowfox said, some places have disc resurfacing machines. Like GameStop/EBGames. They accept/buy second-hand game, so they tend to have such a machine to clean it up, make it better for sale. In the same way many places that buy games will also have this machine. You might be able to sweet talk them into running your disc through their machine.

Oh, and calling one's little brother dumb is his prerogative, as well as quite understandable in his frustration over the situation. smilie If fixing it doesn't work, explain to your parents, they might pay for buying a replacement off of eBay or whatever. Actually, before that, Activision Support MAY be willing to replace it for you. This isn't wear and tear or manufacturer's error, of course, so maybe not, but worth a try to ask.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
#6 Posted: 13:05:05 11/09/2013 | Topic Creator
Sorry for calling him dumb. I was just angry at the time.

Anyway, the surface is scratched, as far as I saw. The only thing that made a difference was that there are three spots that I cannot wipe off, as well as definite scratches on top, most likely from his bite. I guess I will have to buy a new one, or get a replacement. I have already found a cheap auction on eBay( around two dollars with around two dollars shipping), so that should be a cheap replacement. At least it is a disc, not a cartridge.
---
ATVIAssist Blue Sparx Gems: 978
#7 Posted: 20:52:17 11/09/2013
Hey there zookinator,

By any chance do you still have the receipt? You could try going back to the retailer and exchange your copy if the receipt is still valid through their return policy. The retailer might still be able to help you out if you don't have the receipt. You can also go through http://bit.ly/16ligHQ and click on Warranty and Returns and fill out a claim to replace your disc. Hope this helps! Feel free to contact us if you need anymore assistance. ^MD

https://www.facebook.com/ActivisionAssist
https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist
---
ATVIassist. Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ActivisionAssist and Twitter https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist
Hexblazer Blue Sparx Gems: 895
#8 Posted: 05:20:55 12/09/2013
Quote: zookinator
My disc has recently been done for. My dumb little 1 year old brother has bit my game disc. Is there anything possible to fix?

So that means everyone that was 1 years old are dumb including youself.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:21:25 12/09/2013 by Hexblazer
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#9 Posted: 05:44:19 12/09/2013
Quote: GhostRoaster
A few years ago my four year old destroyed my Wii and PS3 by putting something in the disc tray. Stuff happens. Protect yourself smilie

My son did that with my first ps3, he put chucky cheese coins into it and well that was it for that ps3.
#10 Posted: 12:26:35 12/09/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Hexblazer
My disc has recently been done for. My dumb little 1 year old brother has bit my game disc. Is there anything possible to fix?

Hey, I said I was sorry for calling him dumb. I was just angry at the time he broke it. I will go ahead and edit the OP.
---
fanjo Gold Sparx Gems: 2382
#11 Posted: 21:17:05 12/09/2013
Just send it back to Activision for a replacement.

http://support.activision.com/...&fs=Search&pn=1
shadowfox Platinum Sparx Gems: 5084
#12 Posted: 21:44:10 12/09/2013
Quote: Hexblazer

There is no need to gripe about word usage. His opinon, his life. He asked a question and was looking for answers. This is why a lot of people shy away from posting. One out of step word and the wrath of the heavens breaks open to smite them. Childish.
#13 Posted: 23:03:45 12/09/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: fanjo

The thing is, it will cost 20 bucks to replace it. I don't want to spend that much, only if it was a last resort.
---
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#14 Posted: 02:43:20 16/09/2013
Don't worry you will hardly play it on the 13th
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#15 Posted: 03:49:43 16/09/2013
Quote: fanjo

The thing is, it will cost 20 bucks to replace it. I don't want to spend that much, only if it was a last resort.

At that price you should just buy it at the store with the lays couepon $10 off. most palces are having it on sale between $35-$40. so worse case you spend around $30 and get an extra portal, tree rez etc.

You could also try ebay/gamestop and see if anyone selling the game alone, thou $20 seems reasonable.
#16 Posted: 12:49:16 16/09/2013 | Topic Creator
@Windumup, I would like to have Giants back so I can have the Big Money cheat.

@SlayerX11, I could try, but I will have to see store prices to see if I want to do that instead of buying a loose disc off of eBay.
---
cbunny84 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1403
#17 Posted: 16:39:50 16/09/2013
Go on ebay. Most people sell the game itself really cheap. Its the figures that'll kill ya.
---
new edition: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#18 Posted: 07:55:40 17/09/2013
So, does that mean polishing it didn't work (even with a banana), bringing it to Gamestop/EBGames to have them resurface it didn't work (or they wouldn't do it), and Activision has said they won't replace it? Because all of THOSE options are free... Well okay, you'd have to buy a banana.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
#19 Posted: 12:41:49 17/09/2013 | Topic Creator
A) yes, polishing would never work as the top part is scratched, leaving it permanently broken. smilie Same reason as A. C) Activision wouldn't replace it for free. It would cost $20 to replace because it is out of warranty.
---
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#20 Posted: 16:12:06 17/09/2013
This is exactly why young children tick me off. They seemingly always love to destroy your most valuable or expensive items.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
#21 Posted: 10:37:20 18/09/2013
Ah, but the TOP being damaged doesn't necessarily make the disc not work. The bottom can affect things for sure, but the top will only affect things if the disc is made the cheap way. The normal, standard way would be unaffected by top damage. Have you tried?
---
#22 Posted: 13:02:38 18/09/2013 | Topic Creator
Here is pretty much how the disc is. The top has a scratch in the corner, to the left side of the picture. At the bottom, there are three indentations, two right around the scratch on the top, and 1 else where, though, I don't know how one got there. And yes, I have tested the disc multiple times. It identifies the game, but it doesn't show the text at the bottom of the screen, and the Wii U is pretty much frozen.
---
Graz73 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3215
#23 Posted: 13:19:18 18/09/2013
Contact Activision customer service. They helped me when I had a problem w the game.
---
For Trade: EyeSmall, Punch Pop Fizz, Lava Barf Eruptor(black): PM to deal!
lilbit71 Green Sparx Gems: 272
#24 Posted: 16:59:28 18/09/2013
Can you download the game to the wii u like you can with the x box? If you do it with the x box all you have to do is have the disc to read the game it does not use it to play it just read it to know you have it.
#25 Posted: 21:24:51 18/09/2013 | Topic Creator
No, you cannot download the game directly to the Wii U. You have to have the disc. Without the disc, you cannot play. And Graz73, I think they would just tell me to replace the disc.
---
#26 Posted: 09:57:31 19/09/2013
The old saying applies here, "Don't assume, you make an 'a$$' out of 'u' and 'me'". smilie There's no harm in calling and asking, I've heard some surprising stories of Activision being pretty decent and even generous with problems like this. Yes, they may actually replace your disc for free (I won't say it's probably, since the damage is clearly noy a manufacturer's defect).

And when we "download" the game from the disc, we still need the disc. It just copies a lot of the data from the disc to the hard drive so the game runs more smoothly, loads faster, etc... But the on-hard-drive version still checks if the game disc is in, for security purposes. Since it sounds like your console at least reads the disc well enough to identify the game, it could work this way, but (assuming that the Wii U supports such copying) I doubt it can read the disc well enough to copy now, so you would have to borrow someone else's Wii U disc.

And again, the damage to the top/label MAY not affect things in the slightest, so concentrate on doing something about the bottom. Unfortunately "indentation" sounds pretty unfixable, but there's no harm sending it through a resurfacing machine, so a visit to GameStop/EBGames might help. "Indentation" sounds beyond what can be fixed by polishing.

If the label is scratched all the way through, does it seem like you can see all the way through the disc? If it's made the cheap way, with the data on the back of the label, a deep scratch will mean there's nothing left to stop the disc from being completely transparent, so you would be able to see through it (hold it up to a light or the TV or something). If it's made the proper way, there's still a thin layer of metal between your eye and any light, you still won't be able to see through it. If you can see through it, the damage is severe, permanent and irreversible. If you can't, then fixing/resurfacing stands a chance. If you can see through it, there's nothing left before calling Activision and seeing what they say.

Of course, Reply #7 above, from ATVIAssist, is actually from Activision support, so you might try filling out that form he suggested. smilie
---
#27 Posted: 12:50:13 20/09/2013 | Topic Creator
Well, I can see through the scratch. This disc is permanently busted. I have already ordered a new disc off of Amazon for 28 bucks. More expensive than I liked, but desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess. I need to hurry and get every character of mine to max gold before Swap-Force releases, so I needed to order a new disc. Oh, one more thing, what does the term "in original packaging" mean to you, in terms of this disc.
---
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#28 Posted: 14:06:02 20/09/2013
^To me it's in the case that it shipped in, and not in a manilla CD envelope.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#29 Posted: 01:01:23 21/09/2013 | Topic Creator
Well, in original packaging, for this game, could mean it is the entire starter pack.

Edit: Well, I got it, and it came with the entire starter pack. Well, I will close this thread now.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:19:50 22/09/2013 by zookinator
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me