Page 1 of 1
Newbie a little confused! :/ [CLOSED]
markus250 Red Sparx Gems: 11
#1 Posted: 13:18:34 26/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Hi all,

I'm totally new to the whole spyro and skylanders thing and have just bought my girlfriend the Skylanders Giants pack.

We've both had a long bash at the game and its awesome!!!!

Anyway, a little confused about something...

If i play the game for a few chapters obviously the characters i use gain coins, XP and hats and collectables etc. Now if my girlfriend starts a fresh game to play herself, if she uses the same characters i've used, will they still have their coins and XP etc that i earnt while using them??

I know how to wipe the characters completely but doing that will delete all my progress too?!

Is there a way around this without buying 2 of each character?

Forgive me if this is a simple question but REALLY new to all this and these types of games!

Many thanks!
Mark
---
Noooooobie LOVING the Skylanders!!!! smilie
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#2 Posted: 14:11:33 26/08/2013
use the same save file and you both can use the same figure(not at same time thou...)... and keep everything.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#3 Posted: 16:46:58 26/08/2013
exactly as kappapopm said
also you can have 4 files (so you and your girlfriend can have your own files)
if you reset a skylander it doesnt affect your file in anyway (just resets that individual skylander)
You can use the same skylanders she use and she can use the ones you use (although only 1 player can use that skylander at one time in co op unless you have 2 of it)
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
#4 Posted: 17:17:26 26/08/2013 | Topic Creator
ok i see now.

If i reset a skylander so my girlfriend can play on her file...when i go back to use the skylander on my file, will i still have the coins etc that i earnt when using it before on my file or will that skylander still be on zero everything?! Bit frustrating if it is.

Hope that makes sense! smilie

Ok....

For example, i play with pop fizz and get him leveled up to 5 and collect a couple of hats and some coins.

My girlfriend wants to play on her file using pop fizz, so i reset pop fizz to zero and she then plays for a while on her file, again leveling him up and collecting coins and hats etc.

If i then reset pop fizz again to play on my file, will i have lost all of the coins and hats i earned on MY file last time i played??

I've tried to explain as best i can lol!!!

Its causing arguments here thats all!!

Cheers for the replies so far guys!
---
#5 Posted: 17:46:03 26/08/2013
you dont reset... if you reset you lose everything saved on that figurine... changing ownership you can do when you use different save files... if you use one save file then there is no point in changing ownership...
#6 Posted: 18:01:19 26/08/2013 | Topic Creator
ok cool...next question, what is the ownership setting?? Not tried that yet and didn't want to risk losing anything by trying it! lol!! Doesn't say much about it in the manual?!
---
#7 Posted: 18:15:31 26/08/2013
like you start a new game save file and if you have used that figure in another save file you will not unlock the accolades in the new save file before you take ownership of it.. and the figure will not be registered to the new save file either but can be played...
#8 Posted: 18:49:41 26/08/2013 | Topic Creator
If i selected to own the character on one save file, if i then used that character on a different save file will the coins and XP that character has be at zero for the new save file??
---
TheSpyrofan12 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#9 Posted: 19:08:25 26/08/2013
XP, Levels, Money, Upgrades, and currently equipped hats are saved onto the figure, so can be used on any save file.

Hats or collectables are saved onto the save file. If your Skylander is wearing a hat, that will be saved onto the figure.

You can change the ownership if you want that Skylander to be on a different file though. While resetting will delete everything saved onto that figure, Changing Ownership will add it to the collection on that file (so nothing will be deleted).
To Change Owership, go onto the Character settings (by pressing Back (Xbox 360) or Select (PS3). I'm not too sure about Wii and Wii U) and select Change Ownership (or something like that).

Skylanders can be used on any file, regardless of ownership. Changing Ownership will only add it to your collection in-game, and it will give it the Elemental Bonus boosts that are given by adding Skylanders of the same elements to your collection.

Hope this helps!
---
Bring the Fanta
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:10:37 26/08/2013 by TheSpyrofan12
Shroomy_Boomy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1143
#10 Posted: 10:41:45 27/08/2013
Quote: kappapopm
use the same save file and you both can use the same figure(not at same time thou...)... and keep everything.

Yes, Kappa is correct, this is how you could work it out!! smilie
---
67/67+GITD:smiliesmiliesmilieAEsmilie ROCKsmilie&smilieGLITTERsmilie&smilieSNOWsmilie

37/37+All Sidekix~WERDS~Blusmilie~Flockedsmilie~GITDsmilie~GREENsmilie~CLEARsmilie~CHROMEsmilie
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#11 Posted: 12:37:44 28/08/2013
Quote: markus250
If i play the game for a few chapters obviously the characters i use gain coins, XP and hats and collectables etc. Now if my girlfriend starts a fresh game to play herself, if she uses the same characters i've used, will they still have their coins and XP etc that i earnt while using them??

Yes.

I know how to wipe the characters completely but doing that will delete all my progress too?!

Yes (progress with the character, like coins and XP. Not game progress, that's on your console, on your save game).

Is there a way around this without buying 2 of each character?

No.

ok cool...next question, what is the ownership setting?? Not tried that yet and didn't want to risk losing anything by trying it! lol!! Doesn't say much about it in the manual?!

Okay, say for example you buy Pop Fizz at the store. You bring him home and use him in your save game. The figures have a save thing on them that say "Nobody owns me yet!". When you use it in a game, that save game changes that so all systems will know he's owned now. At the same time, your game will adjust your collection to include Pop Fizz, and Pop Fizz's Heroic Challenge will be unlocked.

Now your girlfriend uses him in HER game. Her game checks, the figure says "I'm owned!", so the game does NOT add him to her collection, and does NOT unlock the Heroic Challenge. It categorizes him as a Guest.

Taking Ownership is just telling the game "No, this guy isn't a guest, he's really mine", and he'll be added to her collection, and his Heroic is unlocked in her game. He'll still have the same level, the same upgrades, the same hat, the same nickname, the same money, all of that.

BUT! Your save game will still think he's yours. Once in, never out. So there's no downside to taking ownership in another save game, or even another console or another game. But there's a few advantages. A larger collection gives bonuses (like the more Magic guys you have, the bigger an XP advantage the game gives Magic characters when you play them. The same with all elements).

EVERYTHING specific to the character is saved to the FIGURE, and so will follow them everywhere. Their XP level/amount, their coins, their purchased upgrades, the Heroic Challenges completed, the nickname and hat you've chosen for them. And to head off another possible question, if you use a hat on a figure which hasn't been found in your girlfriend's game, he'll still be wearing it. The only thing is if she changes the hat, she won't be able to change it back until she gets the hat, or until you put him in your game and change it back.

What is saved to the save game is progress through the game, things found in the game, and things accomplished in the game. So, what chapters have been completed and how many stars, what collectibles have been found in the chapters, what options you've chosen for the ship (the Legendary Treasures), what Luck-O-Tron wheels you're using, what Arenas you've completed... Things that AREN'T specific to a character. THAT is what you can have separate from your girlfriend. If you want to be more possessive of the figures and "own" their progress, then you'll need 2 of each figure. My nephews just share a set, it's easier that way.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
#12 Posted: 10:51:29 31/08/2013 | Topic Creator
many thanks for that it clears up no end of questions!

Being totally new to the game i didn't know if you could change a setting so that any level ups etc and coins each character earned could be saved to the game instead of the character.

We've both agreed to play the game no matter what character has more level ups and coins etc.

Would be nice if you had the option though so then everything could be played fresh on a different save file smilie

SOOOOO enjoying the game so far!! only about 10% in though! smilie
---
#13 Posted: 10:57:21 31/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Just another question about ownership...i selected to own a character yet when i went back to my game later in the day, it said characters owned: none

???
---
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#14 Posted: 11:40:36 31/08/2013
Just another question about ownership...i selected to own a character yet when i went back to my game later in the day, it said characters owned: none

???

You either didn't save, or there was an error. Put him back on there and reset ownership.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me