darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Could a scratched game disc cause this...
Page 1 of 1
Could a scratched game disc cause this... [CLOSED]
Wrecking_Ball Green Sparx Gems: 367
#1 Posted: 22:57:36 21/08/2013 | Topic Creator
I'm having problems with my Skylanders Giants game and wondering if this could be caused by a scratched game disc.

The symptoms are:

• Character status (picture, health, xp, gold) not showing at all, but the character itself is on screen and playable. This has happened to both player 1 and 2. Changing Skylanders makes no difference
  • When a Skylander is put on the portal the correct element icon is shown for a long time before the actual character is displayed and you are returned to the game. Two times it even has happened that it will not progress past the element icon, when I put another Skylander on it did change to the correct element icon but no further. Had to use the power button on the Wii to turn it off.
  • When all the enemies are defeated the gate will not lower and you are stuck, chapter reset is the only option.
  • When you solve a gate puzzle the puzzle disappears but the gate remains closed.

The first two symptoms happen fairly frequent, the last two are more rare.
We are now playing mostly the save game with the nightmare difficulty setting and I have a feeling it happens there more often or only in that save game, I'm not sure.
I don't recall at least symptom one from occurring when playing the game first time round with normal difficulty setting.

Additional info; It's the Wii game and we are using the wireless portal from SSA. When the elemental icons got stuck I changed to the wired giants portal but it did not make a difference.

The game disc does have a fair amount of scratches.
I already contacted Activision and a disc replacement is not only costly (€10 replacement fee and €10 postage for sending the old disc back) but then it will be gone for at least 3 weeks and we can't play.

So before I do this I want to be certain a new disc will solve the problems or if they might be caused by something else.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#2 Posted: 22:59:53 21/08/2013
Quote:
I'm having problems with my Skylanders Giants game and wondering if this could be caused by a scratched game disc.

Quote:
The game disc does have a fair amount of scratches.

the answer is yes..
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:00:35 21/08/2013 by kappapopm
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#3 Posted: 23:38:42 21/08/2013
I would think so. I have never seen or played with a scratched Skylanders: Giants game disc, but I think that would be the cause. Especially since the game doesn't have glitches like that.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#4 Posted: 23:43:24 21/08/2013
It's certainly possible... Though I can guarantee _I_ have no scratches (I treat my discs flawlessly, they only are allowed in the console or in their case, never elsewhere, AND mine has spent about 95% of the time since I bought it living in my XBox), and I think I've experienced all of these. In my case the culprit has always seemed to be that the game was running too long, at least several days in a row. I just exit the game, maybe reboot the console, and things are fine when I get back in the game.

Try polishing the disc, rubbing not in a circular motion as is intuitive, but from the center to the edge. Start lightly to remove any dust, then with more pressure to smooth out the scratches. There also exist disc resurfacers, which can greatly reduce and even fix scratches. Pretty much any place which buys second hand games (and/or DVDs/Blurays) will probably have one, if you stop by when it's quiet they may help you out.

Also, lately I KEEP seeing on Facebook the claim that rubbing a banana on the disc will help. No harm in trying, as long as you clean/polish the disc off again before putting it back into your Wii (or anywhere else, really, LOL!).
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#5 Posted: 07:14:39 22/08/2013
^Yep, I've seen this as well. Bottom line---treat your discs with TLC. Consider this cost punishment for not following best practices.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:15:31 22/08/2013 by GhostRoaster
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#6 Posted: 07:43:12 22/08/2013
That is awesome!
---
Wrecking_Ball Green Sparx Gems: 367
#7 Posted: 10:30:04 22/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: niceguy1
It's certainly possible... Though I can guarantee _I_ have no scratches (I treat my discs flawlessly, they only are allowed in the console or in their case, never elsewhere, AND mine has spent about 95% of the time since I bought it living in my XBox), and I think I've experienced all of these. In my case the culprit has always seemed to be that the game was running too long, at least several days in a row. I just exit the game, maybe reboot the console, and things are fine when I get back in the game.

My SSA disc is still pristine but the Giants game I bought used, with scratches included.
Our console isn't running long at maximum a few hours, it gets shutdown when not playing so that should not be an issue.

This morning I had a variant of symptom 2; player 2 had lost all its health so the 'remove this Skylander from the portal' message was shown. When putting another Skylanders on there it was just cycling through all the elemental icons and not even stopping at the right one. No matter which Skylander I tried. Only the original Skylander was recognized but since he had to rest I could not continue.
Also the B button for player 2 was not working, so I could not deactivate player 2.
At the same time player 1 could not change his Skylander, gave message 'put Skylander back on portal'. But magical items were recognized normally and could be switched.
Had to choose 'restart chapter' and then all returned to normal again.

Quote:
Try polishing the disc, rubbing not in a circular motion as is intuitive, but from the center to the edge. Start lightly ...

I will try that, can always send the disc back if it does not fix anything.
But seriously bananas?! smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:41:06 22/08/2013 by Wrecking_Ball
awesomerockets Emerald Sparx Gems: 4136
#8 Posted: 21:27:27 27/08/2013
Treat your game like a child
---
go to my guestbook now and sign a petition to get Freddie benson into smash
Spyro7850 Gold Sparx Gems: 2656
#9 Posted: 21:46:33 27/08/2013
I have the first two symptoms happen sometimes. The first one happens very rarely, the second one a little with P2. The other two seem impossible.
---
#1 Roller Brawl fan
"Ness, you'll always be the best character in Smash."
-Brawl in the Family, Comic #599
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#10 Posted: 21:50:29 27/08/2013
#2 is a game glitch, and happens to me sometimes.
#3 has happened frequently, and it was in SSA, but only in a certain heroic challenge (you've stolen my hearts - Zook's) sometimes the next gate wouldn't open.
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#11 Posted: 12:45:51 28/08/2013
Quote: Wrecking_Ball
But seriously bananas?! smilie

Yeah, seriously, LOL! I didn't see the usual picture appear on my Facebook news feed today, or I'd just share the picture here, so I looked it up and found a YouTube video (though this is the first I hear of using more than the banana itself.)

---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me