Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5
Permanent Trade Thread [CLOSED]
TheGooch Blue Sparx Gems: 709
#51 Posted: 22:01:55 11/08/2013 | Topic Creator
The whole point of this was to TRADE who said anything about setting up auctions or selling for that matter. My issue is dealing with inflated prices on eBay and Amazon. What don't some of you understand? Bionicle2809, very few users on the forum follow the rules. I am not the one that came up with the idea of sidestepping trading rules by putting Have/Wants in my signature or guestbook. I suppose you are going the threaten to ban all the people that do that as well? I don't want to sell anything. What about the trading of Skylanders cards that seem to run rampant on one of the threads? Why does a blind eye turn from those trades? Why does a blind eye turn from the posts advertising Haves/Wants right within the forum? What is right for one should be right for all regardless of worth of the item being traded. And for the foolish few that want to post garbage about how I don't have a positive contribution to this forum, I think you should rethink your position.
---
http://www.ghostery.com/ Knowledge + Control = Privacy
My new favorite web browser add-on.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#52 Posted: 22:10:14 11/08/2013
We don't have eyes everywhere, you know. You stick out like a sore thumb because of all the attention you've drawn to yourself, but we don't have time to check on everyone. If I spot someone who is breaking the selling/trading rule then I will sort it out. So if you find anyone breaking the trading/selling rule them report them - it's as simple as that.

If you don't like dealing with over inflated prices on Amazon or eBay - then why not sell Skylanders at their regular price? From what you told me a few weeks ago, that was your plan. To take the money for the figures + shipping, buy them yourself and have them shipped out to the buyer. You could so easily do this on eBay.

I still have your PM's and still have the proof that you planned to sell Skylanders on the forum, not trade them and you've been caught making offers for sale in your guestbook (Haves for sale or trade).
#53 Posted: 22:15:58 11/08/2013 | Topic Creator
The sellingyou are referring to was where somebody would pay me for the price frito-lay chip bags, pay for the $2.50 for each figure and then pay for the shipping to send it to them. I wasn't making any money on the deal, it was a service to people on here that don't have access to the promotion. Please re-read your PM's. I have no desire to sell anything on here.
---
#54 Posted: 22:24:32 11/08/2013
You would still be selling figures. Money would be exchanging hands. You might not be making a profit from it, but that would be like Sony saying "we're not actually selling the PS4, because we're not making profit from each unit."

Either way, this strategy of yours could still be easily done on eBay - which was the point I was making.
#55 Posted: 22:49:55 11/08/2013 | Topic Creator
I could do it on eBay sure if I was trying to make money on it. The thing is I wasn't. Your PS4 analogy doesn't hold up either. Most systems sell at a loss. At least in the first half of their existence. It is through software sales, online accounts..etc that the companies make their profits. Once everything is said and done, ask the two that I was able to help get Giants Sidekicks for and see if they feel like I took advantage of them or if they feel like I was trying to make money in any way. If I were to go about and conduct myself in the way that you are asking me to do would I be considered anything other than a scalper? I do sell some of my things on eBay but I would be more inclined to do trades with people if the opportunity was there. I recently posted a picture of some items I was able to find at a garage sale and almost immediately someone PM'd me asking if I was willing to part with an item. Should I report those types of people? Give me a break!
---
#56 Posted: 23:06:08 11/08/2013
No, you can do this on eBay even if you weren't trying to make money from it. You set the price to the RRP of a Skylander, you set the postage to the true value or refund anyone if it's above and there you go - you wouldn't be making any money from it and you follow the rules on this website just like everyone else.

It's not the case of you taking advantage of other users, it isn't always about you. It's the case of sensitive information being transferred between users on the forum. If anything were to happen on the forum, if data on the forum was compromised and someone had access to the address of the other user and then someone else (not even a user on the forum) used that address for whatever reason then DarkSpyro and Dark52 are held responsible for not properly enforcing the rule that we have in place to stop that on all the users.

You are taking this far too personally, as if it is a direct attack on you, but the same situation applies to all users. No user should give someone else their address for the exact reason that I have just outlined. And then what if someone does come on the forum offering Skylanders, and a user does send them their address and then it turns out that user isn't offering Skylanders and just want's people's addresses? What then? That's what you have to consider and what you clearly aren't.
sniper52 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1306
#57 Posted: 23:11:31 11/08/2013
One fact missing on this thread is this: privacy. Next thing you know, people are going to see your address and commit murders and all kinds of stuff. Not that it is likely, but that can definitely happen. Not a good idea at all. Apart from that, you can get scammed as well.
---
HAISHFTAYADGHpenisHDGNADGITUGDUAHD
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:13:20 11/08/2013 by sniper52
#58 Posted: 23:15:41 11/08/2013
Quote: sniper52
One fact missing on this thread is this: privacy. Next thing you know, people are going to see your address and commit murders and all kinds of stuff. Not that it is likely, but that can definitely happen. Not a good idea at all. Apart from that, you can get scammed as well.

Exactly. The issue is the possibility that it could happen. It's negligent to just say "oh well, it's very unlikely that it could happen" because it could still happen and if it does then Dark52 and DarkSpyro as a whole are held responsible for allowing it to happen.
#59 Posted: 23:18:09 11/08/2013
Quote: bionicle2809

Exactly. The issue is the possibility that it could happen. It's negligent to just say "oh well, it's very unlikely that it could happen" because it could still happen and if it does then Dark52 and DarkSpyro as a whole are held responsible for allowing it to happen.

Mhm. Im surprised no one pointed that out yet. One time, I heard a kid on facebook got murdered from telling his address. And dark52 himself could get sued and authorities could shut down this site and no one would ever see each other again.
---
#60 Posted: 23:19:55 11/08/2013
Yeah - it's an extreme occurrence, but it's likely (even if the odds are very little) and it's negligent to assume that it just won't happen ever.
#61 Posted: 23:22:30 11/08/2013
Yeah - it's an extreme occurrence, but it's likely (even if the odds are very little) and it's negligent to assume that it just won't happen ever.

It is an extreme occurence. Maybe everyone can say "Oh I wouldnt do that" and they can tell the truth. But others could hear and make accounts and kill people. And dark52 would get charged money and shutdown darkspyro. That would be sad for everyone, not just the victim's family.
---
#62 Posted: 23:26:05 11/08/2013
Well... Okay, that is an exaggeration but you've got the general sort of logic behind why the rule exists.
#63 Posted: 23:27:17 11/08/2013
Maybe that was. Well im out, posted the number one reason.
---
#64 Posted: 23:29:21 11/08/2013 | Topic Creator
You could step outside your house each day and get run over by a car. Even though it may happen I still go out every day. I still get in my car even though there is a risk. Living is risky, should we all stop doing that?
---
#65 Posted: 23:34:36 11/08/2013
Not as risky as giving your address out on a forum. Plus, getting run over by a car is made by usually careless drivers and people not looking, most drivers tend to stop for you. And if a murder does happen, dark will get get sued by the victim's parents and then will be forced to shutdown the site. And yes he can get sued from living far away. They have ip addresses.
---
jet-vac6000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1718
#66 Posted: 23:36:48 11/08/2013
Bionicle, are you forgetting that Matteo, a fellow Hunter, advertises in his sig?
---
Eggs
#67 Posted: 23:48:32 11/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: jet-vac6000
Bionicle, are you forgetting that Matteo, a fellow Hunter, advertises in his sig?

It is all about what they want to allow and what they don't. You can openly trade cards and give out your address on the forums but you can't trade figures. That doesn't make any sense! There is no conformity in any of the rules. That is troubling to me.
---
#68 Posted: 23:50:31 11/08/2013

No. Because he has been told not to on multiple occasions.
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#69 Posted: 23:58:08 11/08/2013
Quote: TheGooch

It is all about what they want to allow and what they don't. You can openly trade cards and give out your address on the forums but you can't trade figures. That doesn't make any sense! There is no conformity in any of the rules. That is troubling to me.

I actually gotta agree there, though Dark is too stubborn to change anything, it's really annoying since he won't even implement name changes and it took him years to get hunters in the first place.
shelly9871 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1246
#70 Posted: 00:02:04 12/08/2013
Well--I just got contacted that my signature was advertising. I only do what 90% of the people on this forum do. I say what I have and what I need. Now maybe=--I don't know for sure--but maybe the difference is that I said something like---"any help with this would be appreciated." Now when I wrote it I figured that people could said "hey, I saw that silver boomer for sale on X" or whatever. And maybe someone who was thinking about selling one would PM me.

I really wasn't trying to break the rules with this. Clearly my signature was noticed in this thread. What I would honestly like to know is ---how do you say what you have and what you still need for your personal collection?

Or is that just something that should never ever be written in your signature or guest book?
Please advise
Shelly
---
Please see my guestbook for the remaining packs I need---Any help is appreciated. smilie
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#71 Posted: 00:30:44 12/08/2013
^ That is ****ed up!
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#72 Posted: 00:35:55 12/08/2013
Not as risky as giving your address out on a forum. Plus, getting run over by a car is made by usually careless drivers and people not looking, most drivers tend to stop for you. And if a murder does happen, dark will get get sued by the victim's parents and then will be forced to shutdown the site. And yes he can get sued from living far away. They have ip addresses.

You're quite right. Nothing sent over the internet is secure. With the proper tools and skills, people can extract data and use it to their advantage. Many cases of identity theft begin with the thief obtaining a small bit of personal information from online, and using that to steal someone's identity and essentially ruin the victim's life. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#73 Posted: 00:50:31 12/08/2013 | Topic Creator
From what I have heard, thieves usually target websites that deal with toys and video games. They love risking getting arrested and jail time going after kids trading figures. Kids trading figures is such a highly lucrative area to tap into large pools of money for identity thieves. Yeah Right!
---
#74 Posted: 00:58:10 12/08/2013
Quote: TheGooch
From what I have heard, thieves usually target websites that deal with toys and video games. They love risking getting arrested and jail time going after kids trading figures. Kids trading figures is such a highly lucrative area to tap into large pools of money for identity thieves. Yeah Right!

Here's what you don't understand. A kid, who probably lacks a credit card, would therefore have a perfect credit rating. Whoever assumes that identity could apply for any manner of different things and would easily get approved because there would be no bad credit history attached to the name. Whereas, with a full grown adult living on his or her own, there's a chance the person's run into financial problems, making stealing the identity useless. <.<
---
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#75 Posted: 01:05:52 12/08/2013
Never mind the fact that there are children on this site and they could easily be scammed.
#76 Posted: 01:06:09 12/08/2013
Quote: HIR

You're quite right. Nothing sent over the internet is secure. With the proper tools and skills, people can extract data and use it to their advantage. Many cases of identity theft begin with the thief obtaining a small bit of personal information from online, and using that to steal someone's identity and essentially ruin the victim's life. <.<;

Exactly. We don't want DarkSpyro shutdown by taking a risk doing this. And just to clarify this, most of the existing sellers here use eBay. And one more thing, if this site had no kids, then it would be an okay thing to have here. But most victims of internet-related info giveaways are kids. And what is the majority population of this site? Kids. Stay away from internet deals kids!
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:11:41 12/08/2013 by sniper52
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#77 Posted: 01:10:12 12/08/2013
Quote: shelly9871
Well--I just got contacted that my signature was advertising. I only do what 90% of the people on this forum do. I say what I have and what I need. Now maybe=--I don't know for sure--but maybe the difference is that I said something like---"any help with this would be appreciated." Now when I wrote it I figured that people could said "hey, I saw that silver boomer for sale on X" or whatever. And maybe someone who was thinking about selling one would PM me.

I really wasn't trying to break the rules with this. Clearly my signature was noticed in this thread. What I would honestly like to know is ---how do you say what you have and what you still need for your personal collection?

Or is that just something that should never ever be written in your signature or guest book?
Please advise
Shelly

Now that's seriously unfair.
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#78 Posted: 01:12:03 12/08/2013

Please advise
Shelly

That was totally unnessisary, and unfair. I don't see a problem with what you did at all.
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#79 Posted: 01:19:47 12/08/2013
If such a section were to ever exist (which it won't), there should be a feedback section for each user much like on Ebay. It'd be a percentile rate, with 100% being the best with the said customers having no issues, and so forth.
#80 Posted: 01:37:23 12/08/2013
Baro, just to clarify, the suing thing was about identity theft and murder when you receive an address. Not arguing, just saying.
---
#81 Posted: 01:38:52 12/08/2013
I was told the haves/wants were allowable. Was I mislead or something? *runs for the archives*
---
lady_valdyme Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#82 Posted: 01:51:39 12/08/2013
I would hope that if such a thing were implemented, and one of our younger users wanted to buy or trade from someone, they would put that someone in contact with their parents, because it would be so easy for me to just say, "Oh yeah, my mom said it was okay! Send stuff plz." when in reality I never once asked.

Also, wouldn't Paypal eliminate the threat of identity theft? All payments must be made with Paypal... further ensuring that an adult would be in the know of any transaction their child would be making?
---
Red Panda does not approve.
#83 Posted: 02:17:11 12/08/2013 | Topic Creator
You can try to argue rationally with people but some just refuse to listen to reason.
---
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#84 Posted: 02:47:04 12/08/2013
To clear a few things up:

As I said earlier, I think everyone realizes that the current rules don't allow for Buy/Sell/Trade. The purpose is to ask for that to be changed. To respond with something like "Rules are rules!" doesn't help anyone.

If you don't like the idea of there being a thread or sub-forum for trading, that's perfectly okay. However, trying to use your personal dislike for it is a pretty crappy way to treat the rest of the community that *does* like the idea. I mean, seriously - who are you to determine what the rest of the community should be allowed to do?

If you have a reasonable reason to be against such a thread/subforum, feel free to post those. However, the "little kid might get ripped off/murdered" stuff is a load of bull. Where were you when Dark authorized the trading card thread? Or the Sidekicks trading thread?

Finally, let me say, this is likely NEVER going to happen. Dark has stated, multiple times, that he's against it. Although it'd be nice if he'd change his mind on it, I don't see it happening and he doesn't have to explain himself to anyone here. It's his site, his rules.
#85 Posted: 02:50:14 12/08/2013 | Topic Creator

Please advise
Shelly

Things are really getting out of hand on here. How many of these orders were issued to people? I am curious if only the people that gave a positive response to wanting trading on here got put on the grindstone.
---
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#86 Posted: 03:55:22 12/08/2013
If you want to trade/sell your figures please go on a different site that actually allows that stuff there. Instead of causing an argument on here. Because not only is it against rules due to a variety of reasons everyone explained already. But, Dark is stubborn and tends to his rules and will never screw his rules placed up above.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Zithdaitoh Diamond Sparx Gems: 9441
#87 Posted: 04:01:23 12/08/2013
Quote: Trix Master 100
If you want to trade/sell your figures please go on a different site that actually allows that stuff there. Instead of causing an argument on here. Because not only is it against rules due to a variety of reasons everyone explained already. But, Dark is stubborn and tends to his rules and will never screw his rules placed up above.

Pretty much this. I don't see much point in continuing this; what is it going to accomplish?
---
OBSERVE MY WRATH: OOPS. *tree blasts off*
"You think you have authority over me? How foolish."
*looks at Platinum Sparx status* I feel old.
#88 Posted: 04:25:49 12/08/2013

Every forum user besides yourself has an issue with following this one particular rule. This is a forum, for discussion. This is not eBay or Amazon - if you want to sell Skylanders figures, there are already places that you can do just that.

Actually, there have been several users over the past 2+ years who have asked for a B/S/T section.

Quote:
The average user based of DarkSpyro could start at children younger than 10; and children are the majority - especially when it comes to Skylanders fans.

I hope we don't have a bunch of kids under 13 here. Since this website is hosted in the US, allowing children under 13 to register might run afoul of COPPA. As a person of authority on the site, I'd be a little more careful about admitting to stuff that could run Dark into potential legal issues.

No, you can do this on eBay even if you weren't trying to make money from it. You set the price to the RRP of a Skylander, you set the postage to the true value or refund anyone if it's above and there you go - you wouldn't be making any money from it and you follow the rules on this website just like everyone else.

Also, this is a pretty stupid suggestion. He could sell the figures at retail on eBay and charge actual postage - but then he'd be taking a loss after paying eBay and being forced to use PayPal and paying them their cut. Making a private transaction allows one to sell the figures at cost+shipping without taking a loss. Forcing them to go through a middle-man requires either the seller to take a loss or the buyer to pay more.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:29:55 12/08/2013 by UncleBob
#89 Posted: 04:45:16 12/08/2013
Dark is in the UK. Site is hosted by Curse, which is located in the US.
http://www.curse.com/about

Headquarters
305 Church Street SW, Suite 601
Huntsville, AL 35801

The server for this site is actually located in Atlanta, GA.
terranakari Green Sparx Gems: 468
#90 Posted: 06:43:50 12/08/2013
Did you guys even read my posts?? there are TONS of safe ways to go about doing this... my DIGIMON forum does it & B/S/T freaking digimon toys & tamagotchis & ANYTHING... they've been doing this AT LEAST 10 years i know cuz ive been on the site that long, and there hasnt been ANY murders... theres barely any kids... and theres been very little scamming... & it was nothing PAYPAL couldn't fix. unless it was traded but thats why you take pics & videos as proof. & honestly the youngest forum member is like 13... ADULTS play these games JUST AS MUCH if not MORE... & i'm a mother, i would KNOW if my kid was giving out info or if he was sending out mail or recieving packages... or just anything... i'm not trying to feed the fire but i feel like us as users should at least get a say in what we want.. it may be dark's forum but it's us the users that make it a FORUM... he made this site for us, not just himself or a handful of ppl... otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion... BESIDES ppl are B/S/Ting in PMs..
---
We finally have all the skylanders from SA and SG! Still working on SSF & STT.

Proud Skylander Mom! To our little skyfamily. <3
ItsJustMe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1273
#91 Posted: 06:46:11 12/08/2013
In my opinion there are to main forces on this site that keep the status quo rules involving trading and selling in effect. As we discuss this topic inevitably a large amount of users start to request extra services and requirements to go with this concept. Its not just a matter of opening a message board. Many expect a system in place to control trading, where this is not unrealistic the notion that something will fail and someone will be cheated is inevitable. The best control in this case in order to keep all users safe is to simply not allow it. If this were to ever happen hypothetically the controls involved would be fallible and users would have to accept that possibility.

The other factor that revolves around this concept is realism. It seems inevitable that these discussions involve people stating how awesome it would be to buy $20 chase variants from this site or how Boomers or other desirable figures would rain from the sky. This is not likely to happen supply and demand still exist and even though many users may get some increased ease in being able to trade from this site, the factors that still make certain figures rare or more valuable are not magically suspended. If trading or selling did happen the next posts on the suggestion board would be to ban the users that are trying to sell S2 Bash for $30.

I am not opposed to trading and never have been, but this site was established as a fandom to Spyro. The gaming industry allowed this site to attract the collector market that skylanders revolves around. At this time this site is still fandom and not a collector site as such it is not prepared for trading or selling of figures. There many people that support the existence of trading ad selling and understand these pros and cons and would like this to happen regardless. I am personally not convinced this is what is best for DarkSpyro at this point in time.
#92 Posted: 09:09:33 12/08/2013
Quote: UncleBob
I hope we don't have a bunch of kids under 13 here. Since this website is hosted in the US, allowing children under 13 to register might run afoul of COPPA. As a person of authority on the site, I'd be a little more careful about admitting to stuff that could run Dark into potential legal issues.

Yeah, nice way to spit on people like me who have completed various transactions, and made great connections. And Lo and Behold
I'm 12
GASP
---
Eggs
#93 Posted: 09:14:50 12/08/2013
This may be hard for you to believe, but I'm not in charge of creating laws and such. COPPA isn't my creation - but not abiding by it can get the site owners in legal trouble.

That's why it's expressly written in the Terms and Conditions of the site:

Quote:
The Websites are not directed toward children under 13 years of age nor does Curse knowingly collect information from children under 13. If you are under 13, please do not submit any personally identifiable information Curse.
#94 Posted: 09:26:36 12/08/2013
Yeah but most of us joined before Dark switched us to Curse
---
Eggs
#95 Posted: 09:32:26 12/08/2013
Doesn't matter. The "under 13" thing isn't a rule that's in place because someone doesn't like people under 13 - it's there because it's a LEGAL REQUIREMENT and there can be rather large fines involved and the site can be shut down if the operators of the site don't comply.

http://business.ftc.gov/docume...Asked-Questions

Quote:
A court can hold operators who violate the Rule liable for civil penalties of up to $16,000 per violation.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:49:08 12/08/2013 by UncleBob
#96 Posted: 09:52:58 12/08/2013
So basically what you're saying is under 13's who can be some of the biggest contributors to news, art, fanfic should leave because some dude behind a computer tells us we have to. By what law are we prohibited to use this site may I ask? I joined this site due to a mutual interest I share with hundreds, if not thousands of people.
---
Eggs
First | Page 2 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me