Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Who thinks? [CLOSED]
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#1 Posted: 06:51:33 01/08/2013 | Topic Creator
The options to disable the smilies, and BBCode in your announcement is a pointless option to have.
From my experience I have never found the need to turn them off, and I accidentally, somehow managed to switch off the BBCode, and was messing around with it for ages trying to work out why it wasn't formatting correctly.

So who thinks these are pointless, and just need to go anyway? I think they do.

These two options appear as checkboxes down below where you enter your announcement.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:52:54 01/08/2013 by SuperSpyroFan
Eevee88 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4440
#2 Posted: 06:53:00 01/08/2013
i like them
---
Heading out, my liege? A commission, I presume? Then I shall accompany you. Just...ah, allow me to indulge in one more chapter...
#3 Posted: 06:53:48 01/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Eevee88
i like them

But do you ever feel the need to disable them? Because it only effects your GB. Am I missing the point? Because what is the actual USE of them? smilie
---
Eevee88 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4440
#4 Posted: 06:54:50 01/08/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Quote: Eevee88
i like them

But do you ever feel the need to disable them? Because it only effects your GB. Am I missing the point? Because what is the actual USE of them? smilie

making that voice and oh nvm
---
Heading out, my liege? A commission, I presume? Then I shall accompany you. Just...ah, allow me to indulge in one more chapter...
bmah Platinum Sparx Gems: 5561
#5 Posted: 08:46:53 01/08/2013
It's entirely preferential. Similarly on Skype, people have the option of disabling emoticons. Quite a number of my friends have them disabled, while others just leave them on. So it's not an unanimous decision as you may believe.
---
I now have a deviantART account! Check me out at http://bmah.deviantart.com/
Post a comment if you can. Thanks everyone!
#6 Posted: 10:46:54 01/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: bmah
It's entirely preferential. Similarly on Skype, people have the option of disabling emoticons. Quite a number of my friends have them disabled, while others just leave them on. So it's not an unanimous decision as you may believe.

But this is not Skype.
Why are you comparing something that's irrelevant to the site?
I still believe that it makes no sense. I haven't seen an actual reason for it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:00:11 01/08/2013 by SuperSpyroFan
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#7 Posted: 11:28:46 01/08/2013
There are some cases where people have character combinations that would become smilies if they didn't turn smilies off.

For example, a YouTube URL with XD in would become the 'XD' face, and so the URL would be broken.

Another example that I commonly see, when people create lists (not using the inbuilt list feature) in such a way:

A) the first point
B) the second point
C) the third point

With smilies turned on, "B)" becomes the glasses face.

There are a lot of practical uses for this. But, as mentioned before, sometimes it's a personal preference not to have the smilies turned on. A lot of people don't like the look of smilies.
#8 Posted: 11:35:25 01/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: bionicle2809
There are some cases where people have character combinations that would become smilies if they didn't turn smilies off.

For example, a YouTube URL with smilie in would become the 'smilie' face, and so the URL would be broken.

Another example that I commonly see, when people create lists (not using the inbuilt list feature) in such a way:

A) the first point
smilie the second point
C) the third point

With smilies turned on, "smilie" becomes the glasses face.

There are a lot of practical uses for this. But, as mentioned before, sometimes it's a personal preference not to have the smilies turned on. A lot of people don't like the look of smilies.

Oh, thanks, now I understand it's use. Cool, it makes sense to me now. At least you've given me a reason, instead of acting all big headed, just telling me I'm wrong, and not telling me why.
---
#9 Posted: 12:10:28 01/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Pixilism

But this is not Skype.

it wasn't compared it was used as an example

and also i use that feature because i hate the smilies used for the site and usually never ever use them, so i have them disabled

i wish we could disable them for pms tho

Yeah, but it's not exactly answering my question, and clearing up any confusion is it.
If you don't like the smilies, then you wouldn't use them anyway. I believe the smiles are no big deal anyway, it's the URL which I thought was strange, and stuff like the code for bold, why would you want to turn that off for is beyond me? So you can't fancy up your GB, and make it look silly with coding tags everywhere?
---
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#10 Posted: 12:45:57 01/08/2013
I disagree.

HIR disagrees.

cowpowa23 disagrees.
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#11 Posted: 18:37:22 01/08/2013
Quote: DummyZ
I disagree.

HIR disagrees.

cowpowa23 disagrees.

First thing I thought of.

Anyways, like mentioned by bionicle (or however you spell it), there are decent reasons to disable smilies, and if you don't want them disabled, don't disable them. Just because you see no use for the feature doesn't mean it should be removed. Other people use it a lot, like myself.
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#12 Posted: 19:16:58 01/08/2013
I disagree. I do disable smilies for when saying my other internet name such as "XD001Pika" because there is no smilie in my internet name. Or for when a smilie suddenly appears on my posts that I don't wish to have smilies on.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Underian Emerald Sparx Gems: 3095
#13 Posted: 21:14:42 01/08/2013
I disagree, I dont like the way the smilies look. I have them turned off every post.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#14 Posted: 02:58:37 02/08/2013
I disagree. Since the moment the option has been available, I have disabled smileys throughout the forum. They're annoying to me and I don't like the way they look. No offense, dark. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#15 Posted: 05:04:55 02/08/2013
But this is not Skype.

It's an analogy.
The reason why I didn't say anything more is because I like to keep my smilies enabled, so I'm not one of those who have a problem with it. Some people like the small images that come with smilies, others like their smileys in a typed-out fashion.

As I said already, it's a matter of preference, and whether you think the reason is irrational or not, you can't speak for everyone.
My question to you is - why are you bugged by such an option? If anything, giving such a choice would satisfy more users. Choice, man!
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:06:02 02/08/2013 by bmah
Bravo101 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1482
#16 Posted: 06:34:31 02/08/2013
Quote: Crookshanks
So who thinks these are pointless, and just need to go anyway? I think they do.

If you don't like them, then simply ignore them.

Thanks,

~ Crookshanks

yes
yess
#17 Posted: 08:15:21 02/08/2013 | Topic Creator
But this is not Skype.

It's an analogy.
The reason why I didn't say anything more is because I like to keep my smilies enabled, so I'm not one of those who have a problem with it. Some people like the small images that come with smilies, others like their smileys in a typed-out fashion.

As I said already, it's a matter of preference, and whether you think the reason is irrational or not, you can't speak for everyone.
My question to you is - why are you bugged by such an option? If anything, giving such a choice would satisfy more users. Choice, man!

Well I'm really really sorry for standing out from everyone else, and having a different view. Really I am. I don't mind people having different opinions that's fine, but I get the feeling that people are thinking that somehow I'm a bad guy for having an oh so different opinion or point of view to the majority, and that kind of annoys me to be honest, if I continue to have these bad feelings or vibes from users, then I think I'll leave for a while.
---
#18 Posted: 08:51:53 02/08/2013
Haha, you're overreacting. Waaay overreacting. It's just a question.

I just personally found the option rather trivial, so that's my two cents. So when you provided a retort to my thoughts, I thought you were just a bit too serious. I'm sorry if you can't be criticized without feeling victimized. *shrugs*
---
#19 Posted: 08:58:07 02/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Haha, you're overreacting. Waaay overreacting. It's just a question.

I just personally found the option rather trivial, so that's my two cents. So when you provided a retort to my thoughts, I thought you were just a bit too serious. I'm sorry if you can't be criticized without feeling victimized. *shrugs*

You can take messages in many different ways on the internet you know. And personally, from my experience, I doubt that I'm over-reacting, someone calling me a dick on another topic for having a different opinion, I see that as an over-reaction.

To be honest, I don't even think I've liked you one bit, we always seem to clash together, and I think it will stay like that anyway. So probably from personal preference from you, I instantly take you as someone who is out "to get me" in a sense. To put it bluntly, I dislike you, and have done for a very long time. Also, if you think it's worth discussing about it further, I reckon we should talk in our GB's as I don't want to clutter up this topic with further mess as it is.
---
#20 Posted: 09:05:19 02/08/2013
No comment.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me