Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Proposition 8 deemed unconstitutional by Supreme Court
Page 1 of 1
Proposition 8 deemed unconstitutional by Supreme Court [CLOSED]
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#1 Posted: 15:00:41 26/06/2013 | Topic Creator
Read article (and responses) here.

For those unaware, Proposition 8 (to my knowledge) was a state amendment in California that only validated marriages between a man and a woman, pretty much invalidating and banning same sex marriage in the state.

Striking it down is a step in the right direction, and gives vague hope that same sex marriage can be nationally legal in the U.S.
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#2 Posted: 15:03:42 26/06/2013
I don't see why this is a big issue with letting people marry who they want. Oh wait some religious people hate gays because God does. Well I say that's BS. I find it appalling that the US has waited so long to certain people the right to marry.
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#3 Posted: 15:04:56 26/06/2013
It's already legal in France and in my country. At least I think ._.
#4 Posted: 15:09:14 26/06/2013 | Topic Creator
@Dummy Same sex marriage is legal in some states in the U.S. (including my state). There has been no national law either way, and up until now it was entirely up to the state to decide if it was legal.

Quote: Rand O M
I don't see why this is a big issue with letting people marry who they want. Oh wait some religious people hate gays because God does. Well I say that's BS. I find it appalling that the US has waited so long to certain people the right to marry.

It's rather saddening that along the way one of the founding ideals of the U.S, the separation between church and state, has been forgotten by many activists and politicians.

But I for one am glad that the Supreme Court has remembered this and deemed the proposition unconstitutional. By doing this, they more or less sent a message to the rest of the country that laws like this will not be accepted, meaning that national same sex legalization could be right around the corner.

I know it's taken too long, but it's better than nothing at all.
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#5 Posted: 15:11:18 26/06/2013
I say the real problem is having government have any say in marriage in any way. Isn't there supposed to be a little thing called seperation of ch... oops cav beat me to saying that
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#6 Posted: 15:11:43 26/06/2013
Wait, did I read that right?...
They are making that legal in California?
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:14:33 26/06/2013 by cowpowa23
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#7 Posted: 15:14:06 26/06/2013
Quote: CAV
@Dummy Same sex marriage is legal in some states in the U.S. (including my state). There has been no national law either way, and up until now it was entirely up to the state to decide if it was legal.

Quote: Rand O M

It's rather saddening that along the way one of the founding ideals of the U.S, the separation between church and state, has been forgotten by many activists and politicians.

But I for one am glad that the Supreme Court has remembered this and deemed the proposition unconstitutional. By doing this, they more or less sent a message to the rest of the country that laws like this will not be accepted, meaning that national same sex legalization could be right around the corner.

I know it's taken too long, but it's better than nothing at all.

It is good that they found it unconstitutional. And I hope it sends a message to the other states. I wanna see Westboro's reaction to this. Watch they make some dumb ass comment about how the Supreme Court loves gays.
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8318
#8 Posted: 15:15:21 26/06/2013
Good, it's about time.
#9 Posted: 15:22:35 26/06/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: cowpowa23
Wait, did I read that right?...
They are making that legal in California?

They deemed the proposition unconstitutional, and so same sex marriage is pretty much legal in California now.

Quote: Big Green
I say the real problem is having government have any say in marriage in any way. Isn't there supposed to be a little thing called seperation of ch... oops cav beat me to saying that

But if marriage is decided entirely by churches, how would people not in that particular faith marry?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:23:16 26/06/2013 by CAV
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6621
#10 Posted: 15:48:33 26/06/2013
But to be married, you would have to find a preacher/pastor that would agree to wedding you.
This is great. I can just see the homophobics raging about this. I personally think that as the older generation dies off (No offense), that things like this would be more accepted by society. The older gen. lived when religion was still a huge part of the US. They were basically taught to not like things that the bible stated were bad. As the next generation grows, they become more open minded with all the changes around them. There are still a few people of this gen. that hate gays, but mostly because of the guide from their parents. There are those that don't have a problem with gays, but still believe that marriage is only between man and women. I would like to know what they would do if it was switched around, if being straight was like being gay today, and being gay was normal. How would they react if they couldn't marry who they pleased? How would they react if everyone thought marriage as Man and Man, Women and Women, and so forth? We as Americans hate anything new, we're afraid of change. If we are not familiar with something, we hate it.
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#11 Posted: 17:00:24 26/06/2013
Marriage should be based on love and love alone. End of story.

I, along with most of my family, am an advocate of LGBT rights. I think there definitely needs to be a national law barring any and all kinds of matrimonial discrimination against any kind of sexual orientation.

Quote: DragonCamo
But to be married, you would have to find a preacher/pastor that would agree to wedding you.
This is great. I can just see the homophobics raging about this. I personally think that as the older generation dies off (No offense), that things like this would be more accepted by society. The older gen. lived when religion was still a huge part of the US. They were basically taught to not like things that the bible stated were bad. As the next generation grows, they become more open minded with all the changes around them. There are still a few people of this gen. that hate gays, but mostly because of the guide from their parents. There are those that don't have a problem with gays, but still believe that marriage is only between man and women. I would like to know what they would do if it was switched around, if being straight was like being gay today, and being gay was normal. How would they react if they couldn't marry who they pleased? How would they react if everyone thought marriage as Man and Man, Women and Women, and so forth? Republicans hate anything new, we're afraid of change. If we are not familiar with something, we hate it.

Fixed. You described Republicans, not Americans. smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:10:26 26/06/2013 by Metallo
#12 Posted: 17:18:42 26/06/2013
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: Metallo

I'm actually a Republican. :/ Or maybe I'm not. I'm not sure. I kind of despise both sides to be honest.

Then you're Independent.

If you support gay marriage, you are NOT a Republican. Does that help any?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:19:13 26/06/2013 by Metallo
#13 Posted: 17:51:53 26/06/2013
Yeah. It can be really confusing when you really get down to it.
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6621
#14 Posted: 18:01:03 26/06/2013
I despise politics
---
Gay 4 GARcher
#15 Posted: 18:12:50 26/06/2013
Quote: Spyrobaro
not all republicans are homophobic dude

I never said anything about them being homophobic. I said they don't support the legal rights of LGBT's.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#16 Posted: 18:14:00 26/06/2013
does sonic support gay marriage??????
aran Emerald Sparx Gems: 4040
#17 Posted: 18:27:34 26/06/2013
Read article (and responses) here.

For those unaware, Proposition 8 (to my knowledge) was a state amendment in California that only validated marriages between a man and a woman, pretty much invalidating and banning same sex marriage in the state.

Striking it down is a step in the right direction, and gives vague hope that same sex marriage can be nationally legal in the U.S.

i live in California and this state flip flops so fast with same sex marriage :/
one year it's legal to have same sex marriage, and the next year it's not.....

Quote: Blackholes_Wolf

what are you talking about... he is already in a relationship with tails
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:29:47 26/06/2013 by aran
Dmcrocks Gold Sparx Gems: 2182
#18 Posted: 18:46:57 26/06/2013
I'm pretty sure it's legal in AK. I do remember they just went through a whole controversy about people not hiring transvestites because it could scare off some customers and keep business away. It sounds kinda stupid, but it made some sense.
---
if you're looking to get in contact with me, please go through http://petty-bourgeoisie.tumblr.com
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#19 Posted: 19:03:51 26/06/2013
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf

*points you to sonic 4 episode 2*
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Brightscales Ripto Gems: 445
#20 Posted: 20:08:05 26/06/2013
what is this even about
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#21 Posted: 20:50:38 26/06/2013
From what I understand, they've declared it unconstitutional to deny benefits to same-sex married couples, that heterosexual married couples are entitled to. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#22 Posted: 06:01:14 27/06/2013 | Topic Creator

Liberal Republicans exist.

Quote: aran

i live in California and this state flip flops so fast with same sex marriage :/

Wasn't the proposition there since 2008?
aran Emerald Sparx Gems: 4040
#23 Posted: 06:54:23 27/06/2013

Liberal Republicans exist.

Quote: aran

Wasn't the proposition there since 2008?

i think they took it down in 2009....
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me