Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > I think I'm depressed about Spyro.
Page 1 of 1
I think I'm depressed about Spyro. [CLOSED]
mr coolguy98 Red Sparx Gems: 73
#1 Posted: 19:01:43 23/06/2013 | Topic Creator
Why didn't it happen to Mario, whose had so many games since the 80's? Why didn't it happen to Sonic, which has been around since the early 90's? Why didn't it happen to Pokemon, which while some fans complain about the new ones, it's still the same game in the end? Why didn't it happen to the other Playstation characters, like Jak & Daxter or Sly Cooper? My other favorite PS game from when I was a kid, Ratchet & Clank, is still here with the same characters and plot. Why did Ratchet make it this long? Even Crash, although he was ruined in the last two games, kept the same characters?

It could've been any of them. But no. It had to be the one I played so much as a child. It had to be the one I've connected with the most. Why did it have to be him? Why couldn't he stay as long as the others have? Why can't I look at a Spyro video on YouTube without seeing THOSE videos? Why do I have to search every now and then on art sites to see if the memory hasn't faded out? Why has Spyro been reduced to the "old-school" version? Why did I buy that disc the first day when I was like 8 and played these games repeatedly? I wish I never did, so that I wouldn't have to feel this pain I'm in right now. I wish Spyro ended, anything is better than this. I try to avoid anything related to Spyro whenever possible. I don't want to bring these memories back. It didn't have to be this way, but now it's too late. Now I'm depressed. Can anyone help me?
---
Favorite Playstation games:
Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Guitar Hero, GTA
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#2 Posted: 19:24:35 23/06/2013
If you're depressed about a pile of pixels because it's not the way you like it,either you need to check a psychologist or you need to learn about respecting things that you don't like.Sorry if I sound rude,but this is beyond your choice,beyond your real life,and you can't get mad if a developer one day thought they couldn't go any further with Classic and Legend.
Also,video game series that aren't REALLY big one day end via a franchise killer or a conclusion to the story;and from then,the only way to revive it is with a reboot. Classic ended because ETD and SL were franchise killers,Legend ended because the story was over(and thank The Chronicler no one decided to pull more stories out of a hat,any more damage would make the series end for real). Skylanders will one day run out of stories or designs,or a bad game will destroy it. It happened with so many franchises,and getting sad or threatening the devs won't make them come back to make YOUR life happy.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#3 Posted: 20:28:06 23/06/2013
I feel very saddened that this has had to happen to Spyro. I personally would rather it ended at A Hero's Tail. Fair enough, there can't be anymore story, but Spyro was never really big on story to begin with anyway. I honestly think that the action element overshadowed the Legend games, and fair play that Activision realised this and made the Skylanders games try to be like the originals, but what I don't like is that it is so expensive if you want to beat everything. I think the old Spyro games are very unique in terms of platforming. I get what you mean by feeling upset about Spyro, surely Activision could restart the old series again, just think of how much budget they've got now to help them from Skylanders, it's not impossible to at least make a "decent" Spyro game again, take a look at the Tomb Raider series, they rebooted it, but not rebooted it in a way that it's no longer "recognisable".
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:28:33 23/06/2013 by SuperSpyroFan
#4 Posted: 23:12:27 23/06/2013
Quote: Sesshomaru75

That was really rude. Why can't he be depressed about something he likes? I'm upset that Spyro has gone down this path. I know I can't do anything about it, but it doesn't mean that I can't be upset, saddened, or even depressed. Also, did you perhaps think that they might have a depression disorder? I have one, so it's very rude for you to say something like that.

If one has depression disorder,then there's really the need to see a psychologist,since that's very dangerous. Maybe I was too straightfoward on saying that,but hey,what else can be said? Activision should stop doing everything to bring back the old games? The thousands they made with Skylanders have to be used to make games for older fans? The very fandom is breaking apart because people can't just go and think that maybe someone likes the new games. You can be sad,mad,you might as well be a bit childish and threaten the developers because you're too angry,but you're hurting no one but yourself getting depressed over it. I know that happened to me when stuff got near-unbearable at a school I used to go to;I was pretty much destroying me from the inside by insisting to myself that I couldn't make the situation any better. The result? I only got worse;and I only got better when I put that idea aside and moved on.
Again,I might be harsh or underestimating the situation,but this kind of thing chews on you and no one else.If it won't change,moving on is better than let it end the happiness in places it has nothing to do with,like family,friends or hobbies.
---
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#5 Posted: 01:17:23 24/06/2013
Ugh. Again? Still? I'm doing a bigger bit of eye rolling than Eye Brawl could manage over here. At least Spyro is still around and in a franchise that, gasp!, is actually popular and doing well! Mario is a laughing stock, even Sonic's fans want someone to put him out of his misery already, and Pokemon is...probably still doing the same as it always was (don't really know or care about Pokemon). Just stop whining and replay the Spyro games you like, it's that easy. If there was no Skylanders, you'd either have completely forgotten about Spyro by now or you'd be whining because everyone else forgot him. Just grow up and deal. Things change, let this generation have its fun. Be proactive and go make some fun topics in the boards for the older games instead of making yet another whiny post about Skylanders. Yeesh.
#6 Posted: 01:25:56 24/06/2013 | Topic Creator
I just feel like, why me? Why was it MY favorite game to go down this path? Why didn't I play Crash Bandicoot a lot? At least he died a (somewhat) honorable death. People still remember him for who he was. But now you can't even ask a random gamer "Did you ever hear of Spyro?" without the possibility of hearing "You mean from Skylanders?". I shudder even thinking about that scenario happening. My biggest fear about this is that Skyro is more famous than regular Spyro. I don't know which Spyro the majority of video gamers think of first! It didn't have to be this way. They could've did what they did in Jak and Daxter: change the gameplay while keeping the same plot and characters. But no, Spyro was the only Playstation game I know to go through this. And I'm not talking about a reboot. I'm talking about abandoning everything the game was known for except for him being a purple dragon. So yeah, why did I have to be put through this hardship while fans of other games don't? I'm having dreams of Spyro coming back, literally. But then I wake up to find it was only a dream. This is something I think about almost every day.

EDIT: To the poster above: Yes I know everything changes, but one thing is for it to change (kind of like how Pokemon changed today) and another thing is to completely overwrite everything and make it something entirely different. I'd rather everyone forget about Spyro, but he stays the same Spyro we remembered, that would mean he died an honorable death. I would never whine that everyone forgot about him. Yes, let the younger generation enjoy Skylanders, a game which should in no way be related to Spyro. This is not change, this is a nightmare.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 01:47:44 24/06/2013 by mr coolguy98
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8681
#7 Posted: 02:12:24 24/06/2013
OK everyone in here calm down. Listen, if mr coolguy wants to feel this way, he's entitled to, and he shouldn't be attacked for it. He's speaking his opinion about the state of which the Spyro franchise is going, he has the right to, without being bashed for it. Got it?
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#8 Posted: 02:18:47 24/06/2013
Honestly, to everyone here, it's you who make this as bad as you think it is. I don't mean to say it's your fault that this forum is bad or something that shallow, I mean to say that it is you, yourself, thinking in negative ways that make you feel bad about anything you are upset about. You can stop that, but only you can.

As for saying that it's just your favorite game that's changed so "badly"...what a selfish thing to say. It's not just your game and you aren't the only one who loves it. You're also not the only person who complains about Skylanders and, frankly, it brings the entire fandom down to have this constant barrage of negativity being vomited out. You choose to see Skylanders as bad, you choose to focus on the negative instead of looking for positive things in the series that link it to the original (of which there are many), you choose to inflict your misery on others (whether they agree with you or not) and perpetuate a cycle that turns the fanbase for one of the brightest, most fun game franchises ever made into nothing better than a pile of rotting sour grapes.

Like I said, instead of being so negative, why not do something positive in the fanbase for a change. Everyone can whine. Why not make yourself feel better and go talk in the older Spyro forums here that could really use some fun, fresh conversation. Crying over Skylanders changes nothing and just makes the situation worse for everybody.

Yes, I chose to read a topic I knew I wouldn't like to read and say something maybe everyone should hear. Like I've said before, it's been three years. Skylanders isn't going anywhere. Stop cluttering my favorite fandom with pointless whining and let's have some fun again, for heaven's sake!

And, yeah, there's me being insensitive. Deal with it because all of us who like Skylanders have sat by while our fellow Spyro fans have trashed it ad nauseum from the start. It doesn't feel any better on this end.
#9 Posted: 02:56:44 24/06/2013 | Topic Creator
I can't believe I have to say this again: I don't hate Skylanders. It's a good series with a good idea of integrating toys into video games. I don't hate Legend of Spyro, it is a good game with a more serious plot than the other Spyros. I just want to know why they couldn't have kept Spyro the way he was. Spyro could've still had the original plot to this day, and they could've still made Skylanders without Spyro in it, or they could've made Legend of Spyro as a spin-off, while still continuing the original. Of course, Spyro would be a lot less popular, be at least the true fans would still like it. But it had to end up this way, and now I'm in a world of hurt. Do you guys realize how bad I feel? Not because of Skylanders, but because of Spyro changing this way while other games didn't. Do you know how it's like not to be able to view Spyro videos because it triggers these feelings inside of me? Please don't get mad at me, that's not what I need right now. I don't hate Skylanders, it's a fine game. I came here to see if someone would understand, not to be insulted.

P.S.: I don't hate Skylanders, or Legend Of Spyro...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:59:06 24/06/2013 by mr coolguy98
#10 Posted: 15:03:26 24/06/2013
Quote: mr coolguy98
I just feel like, why me? Why was it MY favorite game to go down this path?

Okay,you lost all the doubt that I had that it was something really jarring for you. Razz said everything,and I have no reason to discuss with someone with such self-entitlement. I'm done.
---
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#11 Posted: 16:53:17 24/06/2013
For anyone missing old Spyro: Find a new game that you like. Many people have done it, so can you. You can also find a new hobby outside of video games, like a sport. It doesn't even have to be an athletic one. Just do something that makes you happy, or find out what makes you happy. Try new things.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#12 Posted: 17:49:46 24/06/2013 | Topic Creator
Well, you guys have done it. I come seeking help, and you bring me more pain. I come to see if someone would understand, and I'm brought arguments. If you haven't realized it by now, I'm not raging. I'm in deep mental distress over this. I don't see how I can live this way. And please, Bifrost and Razz, refrain from posting. I get what you guys are saying, now I want to hear from someone else.
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#13 Posted: 18:23:00 24/06/2013
You can't really stop a user from commenting on a forum open to all, cool.

It's a video game, it's not supposed to cause you pain or any of that.

You're basing your entire life on a virtual device, and not on things that related outside the video gaming world that is much more important to you. I don't know, but your words kinda tell that you chose a path and went down that path way too far that when it comes to a video game franchise, it affects your life.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#14 Posted: 20:55:06 24/06/2013
Quote: Aura24
You can't really stop a user from commenting on a forum open to all, cool.

It's a video game, it's not supposed to cause you pain or any of that.

You're basing your entire life on a virtual device, and not on things that related outside the video gaming world that is much more important to you. I don't know, but your words kinda tell that you chose a path and went down that path way too far that when it comes to a video game franchise, it affects your life.

This. I understand that you might be upset, but it's nothing serious enough to bring you emotional distress, or at least, not for too long.
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#15 Posted: 22:36:27 24/06/2013
Quote:
But now you can't even ask a random gamer "Did you ever hear of Spyro?

^Maybe that gamer doesn't play Spyro or hasn't played games like Spyro since he was younger.

But seriously Coolguy08, I think you really need to take a break from playing video games if your getting mental distress from this. It's just a video game, virtual fantasy at that. Your really describing why most scientist,parents/researchers/ect believe video games are bad and a waist of time for people.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:39:33 24/06/2013 by spyrocrash
Pepper-Head Green Sparx Gems: 101
#16 Posted: 16:34:47 25/06/2013
Well, the original Spyro games were really popular, and the different companies wanted a piece of the game. Enter the Dragonfly and the following games are arguably is like the old Spyro games, but they fell short. Yet Spyro was still popular, and from then on, other companies wanted to try to win from that.

Krome Studios tried to take Spyro in a new direction instead of the same old "collect gems, find/free things" routine by introducing a plot. A lot of people were upset by this change, and the trilogy wasn't executed in the best way possible.

And now the Skylanders franchise pulled in Spyro. Think about it - they pulled in a lot of Spyro fans (like myself, after being so hesitant to try it) and then took the game elsewhere. Honestly Skylanders isn't even about Spyro, not in the least bit (which I'm ok with). It just happens to include a purple dragon as one of the characters.
((Though I think Skylanders has helped keep this forum alive))

I still enjoy playing the games nonetheless. Mr Coolguy, I'd suggest just replaying the old games and branching out to new things c: It's hard to match up to everyone's expectations and keep something creative while adding new things so players don't get bored of the same old same old. I feel the same for a lot of fandoms, even Ratchet and Clank. Yeah they're still going... but I just don't enjoy the newer games. The original 3 or 4 are great games, and to me, that's what Ratchet and Clank are. So if it helps you, just say that the old Spyro is what Spyro is to you.

It'd be awesome if you posted stuff in the old Spyro forums too, they need some love!

EDIT:
Also I think the OP's intentions are being taken a little out of context here.... I don't know them, but I doubt they have actual clinical depression over this. I feel as though he's just missing the 'good ol days' and wish that could still live on today instead of Spyro not really existing in his own game (Skylanders).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:36:45 25/06/2013 by Pepper-Head
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#17 Posted: 07:22:36 29/06/2013
You should just move on and get yourself into other games. Seriously, it's better than being stuck in depression because you're into a game series which has died.

I'm like you to, because I don't like how the Spyro games have changed. In fact, I'm worse, since I hate the Legend series (mainly because Spyro's awful personality and the horrid gameplay ruined it for me), and don't care for the Skylanders series since I stopped playing half way through the first game. I love Spyro and I enjoyed playing them when I was like, five, but I'm not depressed over this because I honestly don't care anymore. I have moved on, and I'm into other games. I suggest you do the same.

I honestly think it's ridiculous to have a depression over a video game. I mean, you get so many teenagers suffering from terrible lives, and people starving, and then there's people like you who are simply suffering over pixels on television.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:16:09 30/06/2013 by DarkCynder_543
Darchangel Blue Sparx Gems: 627
#18 Posted: 20:04:31 06/09/2013

Skylanders stinks but... it's not worth all that.
You have to accept that all things do come to an end.
---
>N< "Everyone knows I'm in over my head."
I'll Start Trying In September
#19 Posted: 09:48:28 07/09/2013
Quote: Darchangel

Yep, even Skylanders will eventually come to an end.
THGold Yellow Sparx Gems: 1642
#20 Posted: 17:33:51 07/09/2013
It's okay to miss something that you like. There is no reason for people to put you down because you miss one of your favorite videogames. There is nothing wrong with missing something you love. I feel the same way about some things too.
---
I'm gone. I visit sometimes.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#21 Posted: 03:44:13 08/09/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Someday it will be gone, someday....
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
#22 Posted: 16:39:23 08/09/2013
Quote: SamXala
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Someday it will be gone, someday....

We already got it,someday Skylanders will end,just like someday Spyro will be axed for real and not even you guys will remember him. No need to reinforce what you guys always say.
---
Waaksian Emerald Sparx Gems: 4906
#23 Posted: 20:08:08 08/09/2013
Quote: Pepper-Head

EDIT:
Also I think the OP's intentions are being taken a little out of context here.... I don't know them, but I doubt they have actual clinical depression over this. I feel as though he's just missing the 'good ol days' and wish that could still live on today instead of Spyro not really existing in his own game (Skylanders).

Just wanted to put emphasis on this little tidbit... well said, Pepper! That's the problem with text; it's hard to tell what someone means if you can't hear their tone of voice.

I've only played the Legend series, but I've indulged myself a healthy amount of Original research even though I've never played it before. I knew about both series before I came upon smilie; heck, I knew about the Original before Legend even came out. I'm sure there's many others like me who are aware of Spyro's history. smilie
#24 Posted: 20:37:13 08/09/2013
Spyro will always be my favourite video game character, I think I'll always have a soft spot for those purple pixels. smilie
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#25 Posted: 13:41:28 09/09/2013
Quote: mr coolguy98
Why didn't it happen to Mario, whose had so many games since the 80's? Why didn't it happen to Sonic, which has been around since the early 90's? Why didn't it happen to Pokemon, which while some fans complain about the new ones, it's still the same game in the end? Why didn't it happen to the other Playstation characters, like Jak & Daxter or Sly Cooper? My other favorite PS game from when I was a kid, Ratchet & Clank, is still here with the same characters and plot. Why did Ratchet make it this long? Even Crash, although he was ruined in the last two games, kept the same characters?

Mario: Almost always has been popular and while the series has stagnated with few original ideas since Galaxy, it's still selling tons and gaining reasonable critical reception.

Sonic: It did happen, as Sonic hardly had a decent game on consoles for nearly a decade. But he was still selling and Sega wasn't willing to quit on the one major franchise they had left.

Pokemon: See Mario.

Jak & Daxter: There's hardly been any games and the biggest appearance from them in recent years was Playstation All Stars.

Sly Cooper: Gone for a long time until they were picked up by a different developer than the original (who now works on inFamous).

Rachet & Clank: Insomniac still has interest in making those games. They don't really care to make Spyro anymore, and because of licensing and copyrights, they wouldn't be allowed to regardless.

Crash: I think he's ended up in a worse place than Spyro. At least Spyro still barely exists.

Quote: Bifrost
you need to learn about respecting things that you don't like.

You don't have to respect something you don't like.

Quote: Razz
Ugh. Again? Still? I'm doing a bigger bit of eye rolling than Eye Brawl could manage over here. At least Spyro is still around and in a franchise that, gasp!, is actually popular and doing well! Mario is a laughing stock, even Sonic's fans want someone to put him out of his misery already, and Pokemon is...probably still doing the same as it always was (don't really know or care about Pokemon). Just stop whining and replay the Spyro games you like, it's that easy. If there was no Skylanders, you'd either have completely forgotten about Spyro by now or you'd be whining because everyone else forgot him. Just grow up and deal. Things change, let this generation have its fun. Be proactive and go make some fun topics in the boards for the older games instead of making yet another whiny post about Skylanders. Yeesh.

Since when was Mario a laughing stock? He's still massively popular and while he's recently gotten criticism for his games being the same thing over and over again, people still hold the franchise in high regard.

This guy has every right to make whatever topic he wants and express his opinion, either positive or negative. He's not trying to stomp on anyone's fun or destroy Skylanders. He's expressing his own personal thoughts on Spyro and what it has become today. Yeah, being depressed about it is an overblown level (though I doubt he's being serious), but trying to block out all negative opinions so people can have their "fun" is almost an attempt at censorship.

You are attempting the impossible by trying to create an environment full of rainbows and kittens, where nothing is negative. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment, since people aren't going to sit down and stay quiet just because Skylanders fans *****ed about them saying something they didn't like about their favorite games.
#26 Posted: 15:27:43 09/09/2013
Quote: CAV

Sure,then don't;disrespect the thing one doesn't like and other people that like it,but it won't get anyone anywhere to be so mean. I meant respect as in "this is bad in my opinion,but I won't bother people just because of it" and maybe add in light discussion over why you don't like it or why others like it to reach a good conclusion.

Why everyone got back to this thread again?The user stopped replying several weeks ago,it's not going to change anything.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:28:33 09/09/2013 by Bifrost
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#27 Posted: 16:10:59 09/09/2013
Quote: CAV

Sure,then don't;disrespect the thing one doesn't like and other people that like it,but it won't get anyone anywhere to be so mean. I meant respect as in "this is bad in my opinion,but I won't bother people just because of it" and maybe add in light discussion over why you don't like it or why others like it to reach a good conclusion.

Why everyone got back to this thread again?The user stopped replying several weeks ago,it's not going to change anything.

Don't you realize he wasn't the only one who was "sad/depressed" about it? If don't like/want to stay in this thread, you can leave it behind, people will keep talking about this if they really want to.
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#28 Posted: 17:37:15 09/09/2013

There is no obligation to have some sort of mutual respect to something you don't like. Often when you don't like something, you don't really respect it either. And the opposite of respect is disrespect. Seems pretty obvious.

The guy didn't directly attack anybody that liked it, so I don't understand how he's being mean.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#29 Posted: 20:13:25 09/09/2013
Quote:
Sonic's fans want someone to put him out of his misery already

Have I travelled back in time to the year 2006?
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#30 Posted: 22:46:35 09/09/2013
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Quote:

Hmm... Well I'm not acting like an immature, whiny know-it-all on the site, so I'd say no. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#31 Posted: 18:47:58 10/09/2013
Quote: HIR
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Quote:

Hmm... Well I'm not acting like an immature, whiny know-it-all on the site, so I'd say no. <.<

Ah here, there was no need to use that to mentally beat yourself up. :c
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#32 Posted: 08:40:35 11/09/2013
Post #7 & Post #11 <3

I've seen a lot of people saying "just be glad Spyro's in Skylanders!", which in my own opinion is (only slightly) better than having him completely dead like Crash, but you guys seem to be missing the point.

It's not about Spyro being alive or in games. Remember how everyone hated how the Legend games were so different from the rest before them? Heck, these days I'm in that camp wishing they had just made it a new IP instead, and I adore the Legend games, even if just for nostalgia(though I still ANB console & TEN GBA).

But they just feature Spyro, that's it. They don't play like Spyro games. They're action games in a platforming series- BUT, they changed the entire franchise instead of just doing it as a spin-off. People dislike when you change a franchise to that point. It's alienating consumers. If you're going to change the entire foundations of a franchise, you may as well just make a new IP instead(inb4 Skylanders, yes that is a new IP that just happens to include Spyro but knowing Activision I don't think we'll be seeing a game that TRULY features Spyro 'till long after that dies, and they marketed Skylanders as the Spyro franchise's "reboot" during SSA anyway so I consider that the excuse they'd use).

The difference between Spyro turning into an action game and other franchises getting games from genres they don't belong to, like those Mario sport, racing and RPG spin-offs, or heck knows how many Pokémon ones, is that the ones that do it RIGHT won't change the ENTIRE thing, and just make those other games on the side(although Shadow Legacy lol). When people think Pokémon, the main games are most likely to spring to mind first. Mario has those extra games that make him so versatile, but the franchise is still a platformer at heart(and, may I add, just that side of it still stays fresh). Having those is great because it really does expand the franchise.

Now, Spyro means different things to different people, and in fact, when I hear the name, A New Beginning is actually the first thing that comes to my head since that's the most nostalgic to me, I spent a lot of time with the Legend series, and is my favourite of the Spyro games. But that doesn't really excuse completely changing the franchise. The old games were fine and for the most part still hold up great today. Formulae do need to be altered to keep things fresh and retain consumer interest, but you don't need to completely 180 on the franchise to "revitalise" it(A Hero's Tail is an example of a good "modernising" that still stayed true to the franchise, while playing differently and feeling fresh).
Wether it's for better or worse in your opinion, wether you hate the originals and love Legend or vise-versa, it was just a stupid descision to do such a genre shift, and again, that's to the point where you may as well make a new-frikin'-IP.

I don't care if little kids don't know Spyro had games before Skylanders and the Legend trilogy, I don't care about Spyro's redesigns, I don't care that Spyro is part of the roster in a series where you use toys to play with characters, but- not to sound entitled- I DO care when you take a franchise I enjoy and completely change the foundation of it.
Spyro is no longer a platforming character at the core, he's now an action dragon, which isn't a bad thing in itself, provided that the games are fun- the bad thing is that we're probably never gonna get another classic romp through the Dragon Kingdoms for a long time, when we could have, possibly, if these TOTALLY DIFFERENTLY STYLED games were just New Freaking Intellectual Properties or even side games.

I miss old Spyro and while I enjoy the new one, it's truly not Spyro, and they shouldn't have changed him so drastically.

Also yeah, looking for just Spyro stuff and seeing Skylanders stuff everywhere sucks too. It's worse since almost nobody seems to talk about the older games any more.

However, I have to agree with Post #10(but I think being upset and posting about it is reasonable, everyone has to let off steam and not everything is perfect and can be tolerated, see Post #27).
Look, the only way we're going to see another Spyro game in the foreseeable future would be to get hype built for it, then maybe Acti would consider it. And besides, this fandom really needs a reboot, it's basically dead it seems. smilie That's why I'm posting in the older, less active forums now, so that hopefully it'll make people a bit more interested in them again, and maybe the older games will become talked about a bit more. I know that darkSpyro isn't the whole fandom- but it's a part of it.
There are plenty of open ends, both intentional and unintentional in both Legend and Classics, and I'm sure there are things in the games we have yet to discover and discuss. I'm still not seeing any fan art of those scampering mini-dragons from Dante's Freezer. smilie
voyboy Blue Sparx Gems: 523
#33 Posted: 02:20:15 21/09/2013
But now all the children of the modern age can enjoy spyro like you did. Well at least some type of weird frog/salamander spyro.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#34 Posted: 18:25:36 21/09/2013
i understand what EVERYONE is saying and i have only one thing to say about this , never give up hope it will never fail in the end
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#35 Posted: 04:28:56 23/09/2013
^ ^ Hence:
Quote:
Now, Spyro means different things to different people, and in fact, when I hear the name, A New Beginning is actually the first thing that comes to my head since that's the most nostalgic to me, I spent a lot of time with the Legend series, and is my favourite of the Spyro games. But that doesn't really excuse completely changing the franchise. The old games were fine and for the most part still hold up great today. Formulae do need to be altered to keep things fresh and retain consumer interest, but you don't need to completely 180 on the franchise to "revitalise" it(A Hero's Tail is an example of a good "modernising" that still stayed true to the franchise, while playing differently and feeling fresh).
Wether it's for better or worse in your opinion, wether you hate the originals and love Legend or vise-versa, it was just a stupid descision to do such a genre shift, and again, that's to the point where you may as well make a new-frikin'-IP.

I know people will enjoy the new Spyro and dislike the old one. Even if they continued down the classic road people would complain about that(heck, I didn't even like YoTD due to some stupid additions in that game...), but the Skylanders games don't play similar to the original Spyro games at all. They don't feel like they could be part of the IP. They have a similar theme, but they play very, very different(and I think Skylanders could have been more interesting if it had taken another theme as well). And now, because of them putting him in Skyladners, we may not see - I don't mean to sound elitist- a "true" Spyro game for a long time, if at all.

Besides, it's NATURAL that people won't like EVERYTHING, if they don't like older Spyro games, they don't. There are many people who don't like Mario, which is widely regarded as one of gaming's greatest franchises. It doesn't mean that them liking the change justifies the change, because it's a pretty massive change. I hate re-using words over and over, but it IS a 180 on the franchise. It just doesn't feel like it could be a Spyro game. And like I said, if you're gonna make something THAT different, it should just be a new, seperate IP- and now it looks like there's no new Spyro game in sight because of them stuffing him in Skylanders. If he were just a cameo character and he still got his own games that felt like it could be part of the original IP, I'd be happy, but now they're pretty much making one of the old PlayStation mascots an extra in a toy-collecting game. I just don't see why I should be glad about that. If other people enjoy if they can be glad, but I'm talking about my personal opinion, here.

Look, I know this post sucks, but I didn't spend nearly as much time on it as the other post here, seriously just read that because it has everything, w/e
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:31:10 23/09/2013 by Arc of Archives
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#36 Posted: 06:23:21 23/09/2013
Would you rather have Spyro not be in any games anymore or him in Skylanders?
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#37 Posted: 06:39:40 23/09/2013
Most nostalgia older fans would rather have Spyro be "dead" altogether than be in another reboot. Though every reboot Spyro gets, some fans would bash it anyways because it isn't made by Insomniac or not in the original universe.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#38 Posted: 14:05:48 23/09/2013
Quote: Aura24
Most nostalgia older fans would rather have Spyro be "dead" altogether than be in another reboot. Though every reboot Spyro gets, some fans would bash it anyways because it isn't made by Insomniac or not in the original universe.

Although personally I don't understand why they'd want Insomniac to make another Spyro game today. It would end up having some sort of shooting element to it. Seriously, EVERY game they've made except Spyro 1 & 2 involved shooting stuff with GUNZ to some degree. Weapons have become their bread and butter. A Crack in Time and All 4 One demonstrated that they still know how to get down with their platforming bad selves, but something tells me it would still end up being different. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Fan Of Skylands Yellow Sparx Gems: 1417
#39 Posted: 16:43:20 23/09/2013
Me, me, me, I, I, I, self, self, self.
---
I'll be on every now and then.
#40 Posted: 23:22:16 23/09/2013
Quote: Fan Of Skylands
Me, me, me, I, I, I, self, self, self.

Straight to the point,but now the guys who are lurking this board just waiting to lash out at someone won't be very nice :I
---
darkspyro199 Gold Sparx Gems: 2102
#41 Posted: 08:51:55 05/10/2013
Just remember the fun that Spyro did bring into you life, doesn't matter anymore, he did a great job at maybe a little bit of teaching us as kids, how to be Heroic, Moral, and Honourable, but now, we need to grow up.
---
Been here 13 years now... D: Man I'm old.
gunmastO Green Sparx Gems: 293
#42 Posted: 03:54:52 16/10/2013
The version of Spyro that you prefer should stay alive and well in your heart.

The Spyro I know fulfilled his destiny through strength, courage, and support from his family and friends in every game until after TLoS series. That age of Spyro is over and it had a thrilling conclusion. Now it is a memory that I look back on and it reminds me of one crucial thing: It's time for us to fulfill our own destiny in our own lives like Spyro did with his.

Skylanders is a new era of Spyro. An era that I feel no need to connect to because my time with Spyro has long passed. It was a wonderful ride purple dragon. smilie
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#43 Posted: 11:34:18 18/10/2013
It couldn't happen to Mario because Nintendo sells enough Mario software to fund many versions of Mario. If Mario appeared in a game similar to Skylanders, they would still continue to make standard Mario games and every Mario game you can think of like they do now. The fact is that Spyro games haven't gotten universal praise since the third installment back in 2000. I know we're on a Spyro fansite, and I have really good memories of the original Spyro game, but until Skylanders the character was in serious trouble. I think with the success of Skylanders it's far more likely that Spyro will survive for a while and maybe we'll see a big budget classic Spyro game again when Skylanders fizzles out. That may not be for a long time, but it's way better to have this situation we have here than to have Spyro dying off completely.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:34:57 18/10/2013 by Friendzie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me