Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > "Why You Can’t Truly Know Other People"
Page 1 of 1
"Why You Can’t Truly Know Other People" [CLOSED]
Wild Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#1 Posted: 00:21:26 16/06/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote:
It’s no secret that we present different versions of ourselves to different people, but we also think we can see through everyone else’s versioning system. Somehow we believe ours is impenetrable yet the rest of the world can be read like a book. As David McRaney, author of You Are Not So Smart, points out, carrying on this way is delusional, yet we all do it. Here’s why.

The versions of yourself that you present and other present to you are simple and easy to understand. It isn’t difficult to for someone to believe that they know you when who you are is a presented set of simplified traits. It’s also why people seem easy to read. In reality, who you truly believe you are and who others believe themselves to be is generally internalized and imperceptible to others:

[R]esearchers asked people to describe a time when they feel most like themselves. Most subjects, 78 percent, described something internal and unobservable like the feeling of seeing their child excel or the rush of applause after playing for an audience. When asked to describe when they believed friends or relatives were most illustrative of their personalities, they described internal feelings only 28 percent of the time. Instead, they tended to describe actions. Tom is most like Tom when he is telling a dirty joke. Jill is most like Jill when she is rock climbing. You can’t see internal states of others, so you generally don’t use those states to describe their personalities.

This phenomeon—what psychologists call the illusion of asymmetric insight—creates a lot of problems. For instance, it allows you to completely reject what others believe because you think you understand it, and remain convinced that they’d agree with you if only they understood your point of view. Basically, you think you can understand everyone else and nobody can understand you. It gets even worse in groups. If you need an example, take a look at politics.

In reality, nobody’s really right or wrong. We’re never going to be able to paint a full picture of ourselves even if we’re completely honest. Because much of who we are is internalized, we’ll always project an incomplete version of who we are. When we look at other people, however, we have to remember that they’re doing the same thing. It’s easy to argue and disagree with what we see, hear, and observe, but the full truth is often often beyond our reach. Next time you disagree with another person or group, remember that you probably don’t truly know and understand their point of view. You may agree on more than you’re able to perceive.

I found this rather interesting.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:22:47 16/06/2013 by Wild
Brightscales Ripto Gems: 445
#2 Posted: 00:27:08 16/06/2013
i take it you're into physologly wild?
awesomerockets Emerald Sparx Gems: 4136
#3 Posted: 00:28:01 16/06/2013
That's deep bro
---
go to my guestbook now and sign a petition to get Freddie benson into smash
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#4 Posted: 00:28:38 16/06/2013
Cool story bro smilie
#5 Posted: 00:30:50 16/06/2013 | Topic Creator
u people will never understand me [runs off crying]
Brightscales Ripto Gems: 445
#6 Posted: 00:31:59 16/06/2013
sorry wild
#7 Posted: 00:32:02 16/06/2013
What makes ya think that?
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#8 Posted: 00:33:22 16/06/2013
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT WHAT THIS PERSON SAID?

Here I'll make it hard to miss so I hopefully don't miss anyone. This is a question to all that read the message. Please answer!>
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:35:48 16/06/2013 by wspyro
#9 Posted: 00:33:41 16/06/2013
It was deeper then deep
---
#10 Posted: 00:34:00 16/06/2013 | Topic Creator
[stops] but yes i like pronunciationbook and psychology [runs off crying again]
#11 Posted: 00:35:20 16/06/2013
It was deeptastic
---
#12 Posted: 00:36:15 16/06/2013
I'd say it's 20,000 leagues under the sea.
#13 Posted: 00:37:02 16/06/2013
It's deeperific
---
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12151
#14 Posted: 00:37:41 16/06/2013
cool but not cool at the same time
humans are highly inconsistent in general
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:38:05 16/06/2013 by Carmelita Fox
#15 Posted: 00:39:38 16/06/2013
Deeptabulous
---
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#16 Posted: 02:57:24 16/06/2013
Deep-a-litious >:DDDD
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
SpyraArtisan Blue Sparx Gems: 609
#17 Posted: 03:02:27 16/06/2013
Quote: Wild

oh good lord this is what will make that kind've stuff worse tho

sfdghjk
#18 Posted: 03:14:37 16/06/2013
Beyond deep
---
#19 Posted: 03:16:13 16/06/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: SpyraArtisan

sfdghjk

im 70% confused
also so many italics tags what
#20 Posted: 03:18:22 16/06/2013
With great deepness comes great deepability
---
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6632
#21 Posted: 03:50:42 16/06/2013
Tl;dr
---
Gay 4 GARcher
SpyraArtisan Blue Sparx Gems: 609
#22 Posted: 15:03:48 16/06/2013

sfdghjk

im 70% confused

because of the thing you posted, that is what will make this kind've stuff teenagers pull, like their parents don't really know who they are and all of that bull****.

i can't make this anymore clear for you, honeybear.
BorisTheParrot Yellow Sparx Gems: 1117
#23 Posted: 15:09:24 16/06/2013
Quote:
It’s no secret that we present different versions of ourselves to different people, but we also think we can see through everyone else’s versioning system. Somehow we believe ours is impenetrable yet the rest of the world can be read like a book. As David McRaney, author of You Are Not So Smart, points out, carrying on this way is delusional, yet we all do it. Here’s why.

The versions of yourself that you present and other present to you are simple and easy to understand. It isn’t difficult to for someone to believe that they know you when who you are is a presented set of simplified traits. It’s also why people seem easy to read. In reality, who you truly believe you are and who others believe themselves to be is generally internalized and imperceptible to others:

[R]esearchers asked people to describe a time when they feel most like themselves. Most subjects, 78 percent, described something internal and unobservable like the feeling of seeing their child excel or the rush of applause after playing for an audience. When asked to describe when they believed friends or relatives were most illustrative of their personalities, they described internal feelings only 28 percent of the time. Instead, they tended to describe actions. Tom is most like Tom when he is telling a dirty joke. Jill is most like Jill when she is rock climbing. You can’t see internal states of others, so you generally don’t use those states to describe their personalities.

This phenomeon—what psychologists call the illusion of asymmetric insight—creates a lot of problems. For instance, it allows you to completely reject what others believe because you think you understand it, and remain convinced that they’d agree with you if only they understood your point of view. Basically, you think you can understand everyone else and nobody can understand you. It gets even worse in groups. If you need an example, take a look at politics.

In reality, nobody’s really right or wrong. We’re never going to be able to paint a full picture of ourselves even if we’re completely honest. Because much of who we are is internalized, we’ll always project an incomplete version of who we are. When we look at other people, however, we have to remember that they’re doing the same thing. It’s easy to argue and disagree with what we see, hear, and observe, but the full truth is often often beyond our reach. Next time you disagree with another person or group, remember that you probably don’t truly know and understand their point of view. You may agree on more than you’re able to perceive.

I found this rather interesting.

You're right, it's very interesting. It's a fascinating read.
---
"Don't criticise what you can't understand" - Bob Dylan
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#24 Posted: 15:18:17 16/06/2013
It's certainly an interesting subject of social psychology, to be sure. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#25 Posted: 21:08:38 16/06/2013 | Topic Creator

sfdghjk

im 70% confused

because of the thing you posted, that is what will make this kind've stuff teenagers pull, like their parents don't really know who they are and all of that bull****.

i can't make this anymore clear for you, honeybear.

oh dear, belittle me, will ya, sweetie? i don't think anyone deserves the disrespect you showed in that post.

"that is what will make this kind've stuff" = "that is what will make this kind have stuff"

""that is what will make this kind have stuff teenagers pull""

""because of the thing you posted""

this is really clear thank u
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:10:46 16/06/2013 by Wild
#26 Posted: 22:56:49 16/06/2013
It can't get any deeper then this!
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me