darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Question regarding the 3DS titles
Page 1 of 1
Question regarding the 3DS titles [CLOSED]
Nelomet Emerald Sparx Gems: 3069
#1 Posted: 20:35:01 28/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Having finally started the move to upgrade my DSi to a 3DS (took me long enough), I find myself with a wider selection of games at my disposal, including the two 3DS Skylanders games.
While I've avoided variants at this point in time, I'm sorely tempted to at least get S:SA, if not for Dark Spyro alone. I hear this one is better than the S:G 3DS game, but I'd mostly be getting it for the exclusive figure.

I digress, is it worthwhile picking up one or the other, or even both?
---
Fear not the dark, my friend, and let the feast begin.
Hexblazer Blue Sparx Gems: 895
#2 Posted: 21:16:54 28/05/2013
I only bought the 3DS SSA and SG just for Dark Spyro and Punch Pop Fizz, but i heard from people that the SSA is better.
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#3 Posted: 22:41:06 28/05/2013
Dark spyro got less stats them s1 spyro at the giants game...
#4 Posted: 01:07:26 29/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: EmperorKaos
Dark spyro got less stats them s1 spyro at the giants game...

Indeed? Well, I'm not too fussed on stats, I mostly think it'd be cool to have him anyway.
---
stitchmaker Blue Sparx Gems: 769
#5 Posted: 01:58:04 29/05/2013
I picked up SSA for $9.99 at Futureshop in Canada. Just picked it up for Dk Spyro and Ignitor. Ones that I couldn't find. It's gone back up to 19.99 and they had about 25 starter kits at my store.
Plan on trying it later.
SkylandFollower Green Sparx Gems: 151
#6 Posted: 02:30:07 29/05/2013
SSA is cheaper anyway.

Personally I think SSA is much better. Giants has many merits(the main one being that time challenges become optional), but is plagued with glitches, lag and general issues that really drag it down from its potential greatness. Giants is much more similar to the console game and involves more exploration, SSA is more of a fast-paced action game that feels properly different and follows purely what Skylanders does best, quick fighting- but if you are looking for a game where you comb through hidden paths in levels, like what you'd think of as a typical and average 3D platformer, it is not for you.

They're both about the same length to 100%, around 11 hours. It's hard to recommend Giants when Spyro's Adventure is so much cheaper, more polished, and has so much more variety in levels(there are 5 worlds with 5 levels each, and there are way more arena-type levels to shake it up instead of a few boss fights). If you don't like Giants you'll lose nearly $40, but if you get SSA then at least you'll get 11 hours out of your $20 which is fair.

Basically, think of SSA as something more like the old Crash Bandicoot games in Time Trial and Giants as a wonky generic Super Mario clone... Okay, I know that I sound really harsh and biased, but I'm seriously physically starting to giggle at the thought of making myself recommend Giants over SSA. I honestly think it has nothing notable going for it besides the brand.

SSA is seriously cheap though, dang, for such a quality title it's like you're paying in dirt.

Though if you want a more explore-y platformer like Giants anyway then I think that Super Mario 3D Land is far superior(and lasts a lot longer), and is cheaper now. Unless you don't like Mario, of course.
#7 Posted: 03:32:40 29/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: SkylandFollower
SSA is cheaper anyway.

Personally I think SSA is much better. Giants has many merits(the main one being that time challenges become optional), but is plagued with glitches, lag and general issues that really drag it down from its potential greatness. Giants is much more similar to the console game and involves more exploration, SSA is more of a fast-paced action game that feels properly different and follows purely what Skylanders does best, quick fighting- but if you are looking for a game where you comb through hidden paths in levels, like what you'd think of as a typical and average 3D platformer, it is not for you.

They're both about the same length to 100%, around 11 hours. It's hard to recommend Giants when Spyro's Adventure is so much cheaper, more polished, and has so much more variety in levels(there are 5 worlds with 5 levels each, and there are way more arena-type levels to shake it up instead of a few boss fights). If you don't like Giants you'll lose nearly $40, but if you get SSA then at least you'll get 11 hours out of your $20 which is fair.

Basically, think of SSA as something more like the old Crash Bandicoot games in Time Trial and Giants as a wonky generic Super Mario clone... Okay, I know that I sound really harsh and biased, but I'm seriously physically starting to giggle at the thought of making myself recommend Giants over SSA. I honestly think it has nothing notable going for it besides the brand.

SSA is seriously cheap though, dang, for such a quality title it's like you're paying in dirt.

Though if you want a more explore-y platformer like Giants anyway then I think that Super Mario 3D Land is far superior(and lasts a lot longer), and is cheaper now. Unless you don't like Mario, of course.

I see! I'm mostly interested in S:SA for the 3DS for Dark Spyro, but I wasn't sure I could justify the price tag for a variant figure, something I have by tradition avoided, but if the game attached to it is actually worthwhile.
Thanks in any case, think I'll go for it then. Giants on the 3DS can possibly wait, your own critique isn't doing much to make me believe I want it.
---
Hexblazer Blue Sparx Gems: 895
#8 Posted: 03:35:09 29/05/2013
Quote: stitchmaker
I picked up SSA for $9.99 at Futureshop in Canada. Just picked it up for Dk Spyro and Ignitor. Ones that I couldn't find. It's gone back up to 19.99 and they had about 25 starter kits at my store.
Plan on trying it later.

Same i got it for $9.99 then after a week i came back to Futureshop and it was $19.99 lol
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#9 Posted: 09:42:00 29/05/2013
I myself am considering getting one of the 3DS games, I do want S2 Cynder, but I think I'd likely get SSA instead, as it's much cheaper, fair starter pack, and more critically acclaimed.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
#10 Posted: 21:41:03 29/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Welp, it's official, I'll be picking up S:SA for the 3DS, and while I haven't purchased the actual console yet, I will soon! When I get the chance, I'll offer my own thoughts on the matter and still consider S:G.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me