Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Chao Gardens for Sonic: Lost Worlds?
Page 1 of 1
Chao Gardens for Sonic: Lost Worlds? [CLOSED]
Meta Knight Green Sparx Gems: 359
#1 Posted: 18:09:06 26/05/2013 | Topic Creator
I mean the Chao Gardens are just amazing in my eyes and they were really fun to play as in Sonic Adventure 2 and Adventure. I don't know anybody who doesn't like them, FOR A GOOD REASON. Since Lost Worlds is rumored to be able to play as Sonic, Shadow, and everyone else from Sonic Jump we could have neutral character instead of balancing Hero and Dark. SEGA could add obtainable character chao of a wide variety, of course this is optional as we don't want SEGA to focus too much on the Chao themselves. Chao gave the player a wide variety of customization than any other pet simulator had, the Animal parts, a variety of colors, hat, ect. But what do you guys thinks?

Chao Gardens for Sonic: Lost Worlds or No?
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8325
#2 Posted: 18:11:12 26/05/2013
I don't care either way tbh, I rarely used the gardens in SA/SA2.
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#3 Posted: 19:10:01 26/05/2013
I'd like to see it but I doubt it'll happen smilie
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#4 Posted: 19:34:58 26/05/2013
I never really got the appeal of the Chao Garden in the Sonic Adventure games, but I'm sure the game might sell more if they add it it. People loved that thing!
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#5 Posted: 20:42:12 26/05/2013
I'd say no. I don't see any way they could do it without diverting resources away from what really matters: the game itself. It's one thing if SEGA could outsource development of the Chao Garden to someone else (like Nintendo), but given SEGA's financial hardships, I see that to be impossible. Let Sonic 06 serve as a reminder that, unless you plan on devoting a couple of years to developing the game, you can't add in all these extras. The game will suffer as a result. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#6 Posted: 23:28:04 26/05/2013
Quote: HIR
I'd say no. I don't see any way they could do it without diverting resources away from what really matters: the game itself. It's one thing if SEGA could outsource development of the Chao Garden to someone else (like Nintendo), but given SEGA's financial hardships, I see that to be impossible. Let Sonic 06 serve as a reminder that, unless you plan on devoting a couple of years to developing the game, you can't add in all these extras. The game will suffer as a result. <.<

I think your overestimating both Sega's financial troubles, and the manpower required to work on the Chao Garden.

Only ONE particular branch of Sega is in financial trouble. My memory on the subject is hazy, but Sega Sammy has apparantly been doing really well, for example. I can't recall what division of Sega is in trouble, but the company as a whole is doing just fine. Heck, they made the most expensive purchase at the THQ auction, buying Relic Studios (Company of Heroes developer) for $26.6million. That was back in April, and these misleading "financial trouble" reports have been around for months. Buying a studio for $26.6million (beating Bethesda's bid of $26.3million) does not scream "financial trouble" to me. This all a case of journalists not doing their research, and publishing vague information. This has been the case for Nintendo recently too - people keep saying they are financially crippled and that the Wii U and 3DS will be their last consoles. But Nintendo stopped making a profit on their products right now, they could keep making games until 2050 on their bank reserves alone.

-------

As for comparing this scenario to Sonic 06 - the developers of Sonic 06 tried to cram 10 different play styles into one game under a VERY short deadline. Stuff like that takes a lot more to make than the Chao Garden, because not only should the characters function, but they had to create level designs to accommodate for those characters' abilities.

A Chao Garden is just a little playground with a few mini games. Yeah, the system is complex to play with, but that doesn't mean it's complex for the people writing the code. And seeing as this would be their third proper Chao Garden, they already know how it works (where as in SA1, they had to conceptualise it from scratch, then develop it). Not only that, but they already have a lot of assets for it already. There are very nice looking models of the Neutral, Dark, and Light Chao in Sonic Generations (latter two come from the game's secret Statue Room). The Garden itself would probably use assets from the main game in Lost World. Sonic Generations also has models for little animals from the Classic Sonic games (the upcoming M&S game will likely have some too). As for new Chao body parts, they aren't hard to model for Sonic Team, Chao designs are about as simple as things get, and Sonic Team have great character modellors.

I don't think a Chao Garden will happen in Lost World, but not because it would be too hard. Sega have been focusing on core Sonic gameplay these last few years, and it doesn't seem like they'll be stopping. Wouldn't mind seeing the Chao Garden again, even as a stand alone digital release.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#7 Posted: 00:12:14 27/05/2013
Well then it's clear you have more faith in Sega and Sonic Team than I do. Generations was great from a gameplay perspective, but as a complete package it left me with an extremely empty feeling. So I honestly do not trust their decisions at the moment. But if I see convincing footage at E3 or PAX or something, maybe I'll reverse course. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#8 Posted: 12:47:28 27/05/2013
NiGHTS chao master race.
[User Posted Image]
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#9 Posted: 15:25:34 27/05/2013
Quote: HIR
Well then it's clear you have more faith in Sega and Sonic Team than I do. Generations was great from a gameplay perspective, but as a complete package it left me with an extremely empty feeling. So I honestly do not trust their decisions at the moment. But if I see convincing footage at E3 or PAX or something, maybe I'll reverse course. <.<

That's fine, I'm just pointing out how financial limitations and manpower limitations are a non-issue for Sonic games.

Me personally, I'll be perfectly contempt with just a really fun, well designed game (like Generations), though I always appreciate satisfying story elements, fun side quests, and content worth unlocking, to add bang to my buck. I'm almost completely sure this will have more content than Generations. Sonic games always have more when they are exclusive. Even pretty much all of the Wii exclusive Sonic games had more content than Generations, despite the Wii having less disc space to work with than any of the platforms Generations was released on. And considering that Wii U discs have a colossal amount of space for a video game disc, they have a lot to work with here.

I also believe Sonic Generations was intentionally a short game. It was the 20th Anniversary game, and seeing as it wasn't a collection of past Sonic games, but a re-imagining of past Sonic locales, they made the right choice in putting polish before content. They would of been in deep trouble if they messed that game up like they did with say, Sonic 06 (which just so happens to have a ton of content and a lot of cutscenes). Plus, there is such a thing as giving a game too much unnecessary content.

Sonic Generations was not meant to be a new experience with a lot of depth, that appeals to a wide audience. It was a nostalgia rush made exclusively for Sonic fans. This is probably why it sold less than Sonic Colours, despite being on more platforms. As Colours was designed to have lots of content and was made to draw in a wider audience.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me