darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > The dilemma to unpack or not unpack Rare Skylanders
Page 1 of 1
The dilemma to unpack or not unpack Rare Skylanders [CLOSED]
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#1 Posted: 22:04:02 10/05/2013 | Topic Creator
This topic is mainly for collectors that like to acquire rare/variant Skylanders.

Am I the only one who faces the dilemma of whether to unpack a Rare Skylanders or not to unpack it? I mean, some of them can be sold back for quite some money if they are still in their packaging 2 years later. My goal when collecting is not necessarily in anticipation of selling them later, but one day I will probably not want to have them anymore. So if I sell them, I'm better to keep them in package to get more money. But at the same time, I'd like to be able to hold them in my hands and have them sitting beside the rest of my collection.

How do you guys deal with this?
---
bye
gillgrunt987 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7399
#2 Posted: 22:14:12 10/05/2013
Just go with it. Like, just imagine the Skylander is out of packaging, play with it in the packaging, and when you want to sell it, reset it. That's how I handle it(if Smyths weren't being scumbags to online shoppers...)
---
I can survive scalding hot coffee and being whipped for 24 hours a day. Digestive biscuits or riot.
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#3 Posted: 23:26:37 10/05/2013
blah, blah, blah ... just open the freakin' things you could be dead tomorrow
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#4 Posted: 00:41:56 11/05/2013
If you plan on selling, keep 'em new, especially since many can be faked.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#5 Posted: 01:11:52 11/05/2013
I think the problem is that most people don't find rare Skylanders. This means that the majority will need to buy them off of scalpers to get them at all. As such it's incredibly subjective- some people are unwilling to buy things for so much money and rip them open, which I understand, but I think that willing to buy them, and then open them, killing their value, just to have the most fun out of them, is very gutsy. I personally open mine, but that's only because I'm not planning to buy Swap Force, I want to enjoy SSA Giants to the full and don't want to hunt every year. However, yours is an Employee Break from Activision which I would advise leaving shut if you think you won't want it at some point because it will probably become one of the rarer variants.
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#6 Posted: 01:15:09 11/05/2013
Quote: t7gga

This kids, is the TRUE Yolo.
#7 Posted: 01:20:32 11/05/2013
Quote: CommanderGame

That's it. The first thing that I'm going to do when I get a tumblr is post a pic of all my unboxed variants tagged #yolo
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#8 Posted: 01:22:21 11/05/2013
Quote: GamingMaster_76
Quote: CommanderGame

That's it. The first thing that I'm going to do when I get a tumblr is post a pic of all my unboxed variants tagged #yolo

#yolo #skylandswag
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#9 Posted: 03:33:13 11/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: GamingMaster_76
However, yours is an Employee Break from Activision which I would advise leaving shut if you think you won't want it at some point because it will probably become one of the rarer variants.

Obviously I'm not unpacking Gold Prism Break, he's worth too much smilie I'm more talking about other relatively rare figurine I have that are still in package (Blue Bash, Red Drill Sergeant, Molten Hot Dog, Jade Flashwing, Polar Whirlwind, Glow Fright Rider, Glow Sonic Boom, Bronze Flameslinger...).
---
bye
Nelomet Emerald Sparx Gems: 3069
#10 Posted: 05:53:44 11/05/2013
Hmm. You've got the right idea on yer gold fellow, no doubt he'll be worth a small fortune in the near future if you do decide to part ways, and in the box will definately help.
As for your others, i'm really not sure, personally I think they'd do better outside of the box (but that's just me, and I haven't even SEEN any variants, let alone procured them), but again, if you're considering reselling down the line. Oh, screw it, I'd lean towards unpack them.
---
Fear not the dark, my friend, and let the feast begin.
DluA Gold Sparx Gems: 2392
#11 Posted: 08:00:26 11/05/2013
Quote: newkill
Obviously I'm not unpacking Gold Prism Break, he's worth too much smilie I'm more talking about other relatively rare figurine I have that are still in package (Blue Bash, Red Drill Sergeant, Molten Hot Dog, Jade Flashwing, Polar Whirlwind, Glow Fright Rider, Glow Sonic Boom, Bronze Flameslinger...).

I think you pretty much answered the question for yourself. Obviously, if there is *using your words* "too much worth" involved with a figure, you're NOT going to open it. The other variants you have, although rarer than your average Skylander, won't command the "worth" or resale value that an Employee Prism does.

I would suggest having unopened AND OPENED variants as part of your collection. In my case, this is how I solve this dilemma. For those that I want to play with, I simply buy one to open and one to keep sealed, BUT I do it as patiently and economically as possible. I reason with myself that it may take into SSF to do it, but the "deal" will eventually come along.

Many of the variants that you specified can be found OPENED at below retail. Assuming you have the budget to do this, even paying retail again for some of these figures will satisfy your desire to "play" with the figures. Jumping on the BOGO deals, being opportunistic on Ebay, and routinely checking CL are the primary ways that I approach this. Now if adding duplicate figures to your collection is not in the budget, then you simply have to make a decision.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide...
---
REWARD: for valid information that leads to the addition of an ULTRA RARE 2011 E3 Gill Grunt in the E3 packaging.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#12 Posted: 15:46:09 11/05/2013
if rare dont unpack... after all you can put it on portal an play with it in the game... i got darklight crypt when it was new. i payed $20 for it and opened it ... little did i know it was going to end up being $200 unopened two years later.... just saying...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:47:16 11/05/2013 by kappapopm
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#13 Posted: 16:19:32 11/05/2013
While yes, it's nice to keep rare/valueable things in mint condition and in their original packaging, they're yours to do with as you please. Do what you want, dude.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#14 Posted: 20:53:27 11/05/2013
The ship is safer in the harbour, but it's not meant for that.
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#15 Posted: 22:08:54 11/05/2013
I have a GITD sonic boom (s2), two Frito lay stumpies, a WERDS (I plan on getting more, they are basically known well because of me), and Blue Bash. I also have a Darklight Crypt, still in box. I also, stupidly, have a LC Drobot with no catchphrase.

I have no plans to sell, but what should I do?
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#16 Posted: 23:30:08 11/05/2013
Sell Darklight Crypt, KEEP the Stump Smashes.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
PWillie2121 Blue Sparx Gems: 587
#17 Posted: 03:38:10 12/05/2013
Explain the lc drobot without the catchphrase. Don't know that one
---
Have an extra whamshell, scarlet and more sealed for trade. PM me.
#18 Posted: 05:18:57 12/05/2013
I would insist that you sell DC right now. It is likely that it will be sent out again within the next two restocks and its lucrative peak is probably now. Unless it holds a nostalgic value leaving it boxed to you...

@kappa I've seen DC sets opened which have still sold for $60, which is double the paid cost.

Scalping for Skylanders- and that's what it is, even if you only do it once- is a gambling game, but even opened versions of something can still reel chips in. There are not nearly as many, but there are people who just want opened figurines and don't mind paying extra. Of course, next month they will be kicking themselves...
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#19 Posted: 11:16:14 12/05/2013
@GamingMaster_76

i got everything when it was new so i opened it, no specials expect the legendaries. i understand the dilemma when you guys/gals are getting the skylanders from the first game this late... it depends on how serious you are about skylanders. some people gonna keep some people move on. if you at some point are gonna move on in like 2-3 years, you may regret opening them... just saying.

only thing i have not opened at this point is trigger happy legendary and s2 spyro... they will stay boxed. and i have no plan on selling any of my skylanders in the future.
#20 Posted: 13:36:07 12/05/2013
I virtually replay games more often than I play new ones. smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me