Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Beta testers needed for upcoming iPhone app
Page 1 of 1
Beta testers needed for upcoming iPhone app [CLOSED]
HarmHero Green Sparx Gems: 423
#1 Posted: 18:28:56 04/05/2013 | Topic Creator
*UPDATE*

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback and special thanks to those who tested the app for me!
As of today the app is available in the AppStore for iPhone and iPod touch! Without you it wouldn't have been there :-)

If you like, see www.skylanderscollectionapp.com for more details about the release and a link to the App Store :-)

Many thanks,
Harmen

*END OF UPDATE*

----------------------------------

Hi all,

Checked with dark52 about this first, so I'm not illegally spamming ;-)

But I'm creating an iPhone/iPod Touch app for managing your Skylander Collection. There are a few on the App Store, but none of them suited my needs: keeping taps on the levels of the Skylanders I own. Most apps are an overview of all Skylander toys available, and you can select the ones you have. But I wanted to make a collection of MY Skylanders. And, being a vived Skylander fan, I created an app for that :-). But before putting it on the App Store, I thought it would be invaluable to have real Skylander players test the app before I release it officially, because those are the people who could be interested in it.

I made an effort to make an app that is different from the more standard looking ones on the App Store. A short overview of the features I build in it are:

• You are able to make a photo of your Skylander, instead of the stock images.
  • The app has awesome looking graphics
  • You can have an overview of your entire collection with just one tap
  • Share your favorite Skylander on Twitter or Facebook, or save it to your Camera Roll on your device
  • Easy to manage your Skylander, nice search and sort functions available
  • The app will support English and Dutch at launch
  • The app will support the awesome 4" display of the iPhone 5 and offcourse all Retina screens
  • In spite of all the photos and awesomeness, the app remains small, so you have room enough on your device for other cool stuff
  • etc :-)

I'll post some screenshots at the end of the post. And yes: I filled it with my own collection, so the Skylanders you see there, are my own ;-)

If you would like to test this app, please send me a PM with a valid email address, which iOS devices you own (eg. iPhone 4s, iPod Touch 3G, etc) and which iOS version you have installed (eg. iOS 6.1.3).
Important note: the app supports iOS 5.0 and up, so you should at least have an iPhone 3GS or an iPod Touch 3G with iOS 5.0 or higher installed. The app is iPhone/iPod only. It will run on an iPad, but in the 'iPhone'mode.

If you think it would be awesome to have the app in your own language as well, and you are capable of translating it from English, you can PM me as well. I could send you an Excel sheet with all the translatable text. Korean will be added to the list of supported languages soon, but it would be awesome to have some more languages as well. And translating it should only take an hour or so. maybe two. But besides English and Dutch, I'm not very fluent in other languages ;-)

In the course of next week, I will select a few of the people who have responded, depending on device and iOS, and send them an email with instructions.

I hope you guys like the idea/app and hopefully some of you are prepared to test it out for me :-)

Greetings and salutations!
Harmen ter Horst (Solid Ingenuity)

Some screenshots:
[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
---
Skylanders Collection App is available for iPhone and iPod touch!
Check http://www.skylanderscollectionapp.com for details :-)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:19:46 28/05/2013 by HarmHero
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8325
#2 Posted: 18:33:59 04/05/2013
Wow, this is impressive sir.smilie
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#3 Posted: 18:36:32 04/05/2013
Will it be free? If so, I will get it. If not, I probably won't...
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#4 Posted: 18:37:28 04/05/2013
unfortunately i have mobile phone smilie

looks awesome though! smilie
#5 Posted: 19:30:54 04/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Thanks for the reply ye all :-) About the price: I've not completely decided yet, but since I put in a lot of time and effort, and I have to live of the produce of my apps since March (it is my full time job now, started my own company), I'm thinking in terms of the minimum price tier: $0,99. Maybe I'll put out a free/ad-supported version as well, but not for starters :-)

I'll see though ;-)

Thanks again for the comments! They are encouraging :-)
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#6 Posted: 20:36:48 04/05/2013
Wow, that's very impressive. Unfortunately I'm not much of an app user and don't really have enough space on my phone currently. But it looks very well made! ^.^
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Iblistech Platinum Sparx Gems: 5099
#7 Posted: 05:34:07 05/05/2013
I really like the look of your app a lot and I would definitely use it. smilie
---
Hail to the King, baby!
paddyfitz Gold Sparx Gems: 2242
#8 Posted: 12:28:22 05/05/2013
What's it called? (Can't be bothered to find it in the text.)
---
Black lives matter, love is love, trans men are men and trans women are women!!!
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#9 Posted: 13:40:54 05/05/2013
Hopefully it will be free.
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#10 Posted: 13:59:38 05/05/2013
Looking good, BUT will variants be included?
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#11 Posted: 15:42:50 05/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Hi Matteomax,
What do you mean by variants? :-)
---
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#12 Posted: 03:32:20 06/05/2013
Scarlet, Blue, Polar , Jade , Molten ETC
For chase Vairents rocks glitter ETC ask some other users.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#13 Posted: 05:23:29 06/05/2013
Seems like a very useful app.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
#14 Posted: 06:29:40 06/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Well, you enter your Skylanders yourself, so you can name them yourself :-) (There are no standerized names) As a 'category' I've set 'Rare' for those. E.g. my Jade Flashwing has the category 'Rare', but I named her Jade Flashwing. I'll upload a screenshot later, so I can show you what I mean :-)

*EDIT*
So, as promised: here are some extra screenshots, hope they clarify a bit more :-)

--Here you can see the 2 different Flashwing toys I have. When adding Jade FW, I chose 'Rare' as her 'Type' (Category), as shown by the blue badge (R = Rare, N = Normal). In the 2nd screenshot you can see the image you share or save to your Camera Roll. Above her name, I've put the Type (in this case Rare).--
[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

--When adding a Skylander to your collection, you have to set its Type (Category). The next 2 screens will show the different Types you can set for your green- and orange based toys. Do you think these cover the different variants enough? Or should I add more?--

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

I really appreciate the feedback you all give me :-) I've you like to get your hands dirty on the app itself and be able to give feedback before it's really finished (and maybe even influence the working of the app, to make it even better!), don't hesitate to drop me a PM with your email address. I'll happily send you a beta copy of the app :-) (iOS 5.0 and up!). For those with little space left on their devices: the installed app takes up about 5 MB of space. With a collection of 91 toys (as mine) the size of the app is around 6,4 MB. That means that it's smaller than an email with some photo's attached ;-)

Thanks again, and I'll be happy to answer questions you might have about the app :-)

Harmen
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:52:29 06/05/2013 by HarmHero
#15 Posted: 12:53:28 06/05/2013
Is it for I pad MINI?
---
#16 Posted: 13:31:17 06/05/2013 | Topic Creator
@Sleepy0429 no, sorry :-) For now it's iPhone/iPod Touch only. You can, offcourse, install and run it on an iPad (mini), but it will run in 'iPhone-mode'. It still looks nice-ish when you blow it up with the 2x button on the iPad and everything WILL work as is does on the iPhone. I'm planning iPad support for a future update though, but not initially. Since everything you can see on screen is drawn manually, I have to put quite some effort in scaling it natively to an iPad screen. But if enough people request it, I'd might put it higher on my todo list :-)
---
Wojowu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1415
#17 Posted: 12:10:32 08/05/2013
I'd like to be beta tester, but I don't own any Skylanders smilie (I don't even have the game smilie)
---
Any Osu fan here?
#18 Posted: 12:22:20 08/05/2013
Quote: HarmHero
@Sleepy0429 no, sorry :-) For now it's iPhone/iPod Touch only. You can, offcourse, install and run it on an iPad (mini), but it will run in 'iPhone-mode'. It still looks nice-ish when you blow it up with the 2x button on the iPad and everything WILL work as is does on the iPhone. I'm planning iPad support for a future update though, but not initially. Since everything you can see on screen is drawn manually, I have to put quite some effort in scaling it natively to an iPad screen. But if enough people request it, I'd might put it higher on my todo list :-)

Ok can I test it?
Where do I do I phone mode?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:24:48 08/05/2013 by Sleepy0429
#19 Posted: 16:45:55 08/05/2013 | Topic Creator
@Sleepy0429 check your PM :-)
---
#20 Posted: 17:16:56 08/05/2013 | Topic Creator
For those who have contacted me for testing: please check your PM smilie

Harmen
---
paddyfitz Gold Sparx Gems: 2242
#21 Posted: 17:50:46 08/05/2013
Can I help test?
---
Black lives matter, love is love, trans men are men and trans women are women!!!
LegendaryFlames Emerald Sparx Gems: 3791
#22 Posted: 19:53:16 08/05/2013
I would (and im on my phone now). But since I dont have a i anything I cant smilie sorry!
---
smilie@Jetbytes everywhere elsesmilie
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#23 Posted: 20:26:00 08/05/2013
If you can, make an Android version in the future.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#24 Posted: 22:53:22 08/05/2013
May I have the honor of testing it? I just can't get over how awesome it looks, which is a good thing. smilie
---
Hail to the King, baby!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:30:15 09/05/2013 by Iblistech
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#25 Posted: 23:31:08 08/05/2013
Looks like a nice app, May I test the game?
#26 Posted: 11:54:00 09/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Again: for all those who've contacted me to test the app: please check your PM inbox ;-)

About an Android version: could be a maybe :-) I'm not versed in the language of them 'droids yet, but who knows...maybe someone will popup around me with the required knowledge. Then porting it would be a no-brainer smilie

Thanks again for all the comments, it's awesome :-)

Thanks,
Harmen
---
#27 Posted: 11:06:00 29/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback and special thanks to those who tested the app for me!
As of today the app is available in the AppStore for iPhone and iPod touch! Without you it wouldn't have been there :-)

If you like, see www.skylanderscollectionapp.com for more details about the release and a link to the App Store :-)

Many thanks,
Harmen
---
gillgrunt987 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7582
#28 Posted: 14:16:35 29/05/2013
I seriously want this but I have a Samsung S2. An Android version would be awesome!
---
I can survive scalding hot coffee and being whipped for 24 hours a day. Digestive biscuits or riot.
#29 Posted: 14:30:22 29/05/2013
Make it free
---
CTFdad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1439
#30 Posted: 17:17:11 29/05/2013
I would like to beta test. Good app to have to chronicle "custom" collections since you can manually add your own. If you want I could do a review video on my sons YouTube page. Since its inception has over 1000 subscribers and 10 million views.
---
"Shut up and take my money already!"
#31 Posted: 20:08:19 29/05/2013 | Topic Creator
About the Android version: I'm not skilled in the Android programming language yet. But when I do, or when I find someone nearby who is, an Android version will be on the 2-do list. For sure :-)

About the app being paid instead of free... Since the loss of my job in January, programming and selling apps has become my only source of income. So making it free would be awesome ... but being able to buy bread (with maybe even some cheese!) and pay the rent is quite awesome as well ;-) So I have set the lowest price possible: 0.99 USD. Hope that clears it a bit :-)
And who knows...I might put it up for sale in the (near) future as well, so you can grab a free copy then. If that happens, I'll post it here as well :-)

Greetings and salutations!
Harmen
---
#32 Posted: 02:44:56 31/05/2013
I tried it out, and I LOVE it! You totes did a fantastic job putting it together. smilie
---
Hail to the King, baby!
#33 Posted: 04:57:24 31/05/2013 | Topic Creator
@Iblistech
Cool! Thanks for the compliment :-D
Maybe you could leave a review at the appstore as well? (A) *veeeeeery subtle hint* *big puppy eyes*

Grtz,
Harmen
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:02:28 31/05/2013 by HarmHero
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me