Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
An idea [CLOSED]
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#1 Posted: 18:53:50 02/05/2013 | Topic Creator
I suggest that we make an "Ask" sub-section of S&N, where all the ask topics can go. Maybe things will be less clogged, annoying, and disorganized once that happens, and everyone can ask and answer as many questions as they like there.

I totally didn't rip this idea from another site....
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#2 Posted: 18:55:29 02/05/2013
Sounds like a good idea, make it happen dark! smilie
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#3 Posted: 18:57:50 02/05/2013
If it's any consolation, I support this. ^.^;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#4 Posted: 19:12:09 02/05/2013
This is a great idea.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#5 Posted: 19:50:12 02/05/2013
R U GAY????
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#6 Posted: 19:57:54 02/05/2013
Why don't we just move them all to the Forum Games instead, that would be SMOSHTACTIC!!
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#7 Posted: 19:58:46 02/05/2013
Quote: DummyZ
Why don't we just move them all to the Forum Games instead, that would be SMOSHTACTIC!!

My work here is done. smilie
#8 Posted: 20:30:08 02/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: DummyZ

It's not a forum game.
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#9 Posted: 20:32:30 02/05/2013
This should be moved to the help and suggestions thread. Then it should be made into a reality. smilie
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#10 Posted: 21:17:46 02/05/2013
r we turning darkSpyro into tumblr????
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
BigBoom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#11 Posted: 21:28:09 02/05/2013
If it's a board in itself I don't see how it'd be very active. A once every few months or so thread trend doesn't really hurt and it dies down eventually, and during any other period of time when a user does no longer care for people asking them whatever they desire, but another user wants to ask them a question, PMs and Guestbooks will suffice.
It would basically become a section where people would post in attempts to be funny really, hence Stuff and Nonsense.

+whirls out+
---
this user has died. written on a note was their darkspyro login. they say hello from beyond the grave.
#12 Posted: 22:14:28 02/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: BigBoom
If it's a board in itself I don't see how it'd be very active. A once every few months or so thread trend doesn't really hurt and it dies down eventually, and during any other period of time when a user does no longer care for people asking them whatever they desire, but another user wants to ask them a question, PMs and Guestbooks will suffice.
It would basically become a section where people would post in attempts to be funny really, hence Stuff and Nonsense.

+whirls out+

It's not really a simple trend. People have suddenly made ask topics several times in the past, which is why I've thought about this. It would keep things organized and in its own section. Everyone could have their own ask thread and not be afraid of it being deleted later on (only for them to make a new one) since it will be in that section. I just feel it's gotten to the point where a sub-section could be useful, especially as it has worked on another site I'm on.

The section will have periods of inactivity, but would it really be any different than the Mobile game sections (or actually, all the original and LoS Spyro sections)? I mean a sub-section in the same way that Forum Games and RP is a sub-section.

As for people just asking these questions through PM and GB.................couldn't that argument really be used already? It's not going to stop them from making these topics.
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#13 Posted: 22:39:02 02/05/2013
It sounds like a pretty good idea...
But when you say "Ask" topics, does it mean like the "Ask *Username here*" kind, or just people actually asking honest questions?...
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#14 Posted: 22:43:37 02/05/2013
I honestly think that it shouldn't happen. It usually is a trend, and I rarely see anyone ask questions.
It will be unactive a lot of the times. I'm sorry I really do t like the idea.
Wild Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#15 Posted: 22:51:53 02/05/2013
Quote: Wild
There's not much point in having a trend specific sub-forum, that's not how trends work.

Meanwhile, an "Ask" section may sink or go well. This is darkSpyro, after all, and even if I have seen it work on other sites, it may not here - not all forums work the same way as each other when it comes to userbase, not at all really. Ask Topics have been increasingly less popular than they were before - just look at the post numbers - and such, and another section may kill this popularity or increase it. There's also the mind people have that posting in s&n will get more attention, and it does, as people will ask questions or make suggestions in S&N more likely than any others, so it's likely that there really will be a load of moving. Some people may even complain about "too many sub-forums" in the same light that people complain about stickied threads, some are just not used to it amongst other reasons.

I personally think "Ask" threads are still not popular enough to believe that a specific sub-section for them will be necessary. It would have to be a little more than that. User Feedback? User Questions and Answers? Questions are often asked in S&N, questions which may not work well asked in other places - perhaps having a specific section for that will aid as well. Furthermore, the section could also be for...opinions on others, for example - describing threads, even? Considering that people are unsurprisingly curious about how others think about them, threads such as "describe a user" could be there instead of constantly getting buried.

/shrugs

Unsure if dark will consider making another sub-forum.

There's what I think.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:53:11 02/05/2013 by Wild
CynderFan1309 Gold Sparx Gems: 2235
#16 Posted: 22:53:48 02/05/2013
It's a good idea to at least try.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:54:40 02/05/2013 by CynderFan1309
Wild Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#17 Posted: 22:59:20 02/05/2013
This is primarily a Spyro and Skylanders site, there are forums for all Spyro games and of course, some will not be as active as others. This is not primarily a site for us users to interact despite all the options we have, this is a site for discussing Spyro and Spyro-related stuff.

The reason RP and Forum Games were created was to sort out all of the Game and RP threads that were in S&N, once known as "Spam Central". Although, the first S&N subforum was for both Games and RP, and when it was clear organization between RP and Games was required, two specific sub-forums for them were created. "Ask" threads are nowhere near that scale that happened with RP and Forum Games.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:59:34 02/05/2013 by Wild
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#18 Posted: 23:30:23 02/05/2013
Quote: Wild
This is primarily a Spyro and Skylanders site, there are forums for all Spyro games and of course, some will not be as active as others. This is not primarily a site for us users to interact despite all the options we have, this is a site for discussing Spyro and Spyro-related stuff.

The reason RP and Forum Games were created was to sort out all of the Game and RP threads that were in S&N, once known as "Spam Central". Although, the first S&N subforum was for both Games and RP, and when it was clear organization between RP and Games was required, two specific sub-forums for them were created. "Ask" threads are nowhere near that scale that happened with RP and Forum Games.

Yeah, but as opposed to other trends, this was keeps coming back and in waves. This is the second wave of ask topics in about a month if memory serves. I suppose an alternative could be a single topic for asking questions to other users. But I see your argument. Especially because this is the sort of thing people could easily use Guestbooks for. It could just be people are making "Ask" threads to spite one another, in which case we have a different problem entirely.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#19 Posted: 00:29:31 03/05/2013 | Topic Creator
I wasn't being 100% serious when I first made the topic, but now I kinda am because I'm really sick and ****ing tired of walking into a section and being bombarded with ask topics.

As for the "trends" thing, this is sorta beyond a trend, as I've seen this happen at least 8 times during my stay on dS. Only one other trend has been done more than once during that time, and it was very brief and died out. Meanwhile, later on people will continue to make threads about this.

Quote: cowpowa23
It sounds like a pretty good idea...
But when you say "Ask" topics, does it mean like the "Ask *Username here*" kind, or just people actually asking honest questions?...

"Ask *username here*"

Quote: HIR

Yeah, but as opposed to other trends, this was keeps coming back and in waves. This is the second wave of ask topics in about a month if memory serves. I suppose an alternative could be a single topic for asking questions to other users. But I see your argument. Especially because this is the sort of thing people could easily use Guestbooks for. It could just be people are making "Ask" threads to spite one another, in which case we have a different problem entirely.

A single topic would be far too messy and potentially confusing. Having members have their own topic in the sub-section would be organized, and the user would know when a question is being asked to them, and not someone else (a new post in a general thread can lead them to think a question is for them when it really isn't).

And people on the other site could use profiles and VMs for it. But they would still make ask topics and as such a section was made for it (even a sub-section for RP related ask threads). People won't care if you can just send a message on their GB. They will want a topic instead, and they will make that topic. At least make a sub-section where that **** can go.

What do we have to lose?
#20 Posted: 00:40:34 03/05/2013
I understand what you are saying CAV and it does get annoying, but making a whole sub section would be kind of useless. These trends don't last long anyways.
Oracle Ripto Gems: 351
#21 Posted: 00:44:40 03/05/2013
no....
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#22 Posted: 00:51:23 03/05/2013
This is a trend.

Trends don't last forever, and that Sub-Forum would become a Junk yard within 5 Days or so.
#23 Posted: 01:17:44 03/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Rand O M
I understand what you are saying CAV and it does get annoying, but making a whole sub section would be kind of useless. These trends don't last long anyways.

Except this has been a trend multiple times.

Also what if people really do like questions being asked to them, as it provides a way for people to get to know them? There's a lot to take into account, and I fail to see what harm the sub-section can do. If it somehow becomes even more inactive than the Spyro sections, then delete it.
#24 Posted: 01:58:09 03/05/2013
Quote: CAV
Quote: Rand O M

Except this has been a trend multiple times.

Also what if people really do like questions being asked to them, as it provides a way for people to get to know them? There's a lot to take into account, and I fail to see what harm the sub-section can do. If it somehow becomes even more inactive than the Spyro sections, then delete it.

There is no harm in doing something like this. And if they like it then continue their topic. I just don't see the point in making a sub section for a multiple trend or regular questions place.
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#25 Posted: 02:07:39 03/05/2013
Yeah that seems like a good idea. Except, people can just Pm or even GB you the question.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me