Page 1 of 1
Activision's Patching Policy [CLOSED]
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#1 Posted: 19:30:13 25/04/2013 | Topic Creator
So, the Activision web site "swears" that there is a "phone home" function to upgrade the software for patches/bugs etc. I've NEVER seen that for either game SSA or SG.
Is this total BS or has Activision actually patched either game for either PS3 or Xbox?

Has either game gotten ANY patch whatsoever since its release?

Activision's own support staff couldn't answer this very benign and simple question, so since we're apparently the experts Activision relies on...please answer.

[User Posted Image]
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:33:12 25/04/2013 by GhostRoaster
Terreneflame Blue Sparx Gems: 943
#2 Posted: 20:51:51 25/04/2013
I've not seen a single patch for anything in either game- which is very very annoying smilie
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#3 Posted: 21:39:18 25/04/2013
Can wii have the path ?
Nelomet Emerald Sparx Gems: 3069
#4 Posted: 01:36:06 26/04/2013
How cute, they'll acknowledge glitches and bugs, but when it comes to actually fixing them? Heh, it's a nice though at least.
---
Fear not the dark, my friend, and let the feast begin.
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#5 Posted: 01:47:33 26/04/2013
I can't speak for Activision's other games, but Blizzard is very good with patching so don't knock ALL of Activision.
---
#all Spyros are valid
siowm6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1482
#6 Posted: 02:30:35 26/04/2013
Since we are talking about patches, what patches should they issue? There are not really many major issues I can see to patch. Sure some small annoyances, but what are the major patches needed?

Gold L-Chop Chop, Lightning Rod Heroic in S:SA, S2 Spyro stun not working, etc. Sure. But nothing that is really detrimental to the game experience. Unless your talking about the underpowered vs over powered type thing.
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#7 Posted: 02:34:43 26/04/2013
My Wii couldn't even patch it, lack of wifi for asian consoles, so I couldn't receive the patch anyway.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#8 Posted: 02:42:38 26/04/2013
One major patch that needs issuing is for SSA. In the Wii version you have to go from I believe chapter 20, straight into chapter 21. If you tell the arkeyan statue guy, no then try to talk to him to move on, he'll be sleeping and you can't progress at all. So after chapter 20 when asked if you want to go on into the next chapter, you have to say yes. This only applies to the Wii version, I think.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#9 Posted: 03:14:32 26/04/2013
Ok, I will give you that one. That is an issue to be addressed by patch. I was unaware of that due to my S:SA time being on PS3. Unfortunately I do not seeing them doing anything about it at this point with both the Wii U, and the fact that they are on to Giants, and now Swap Force.
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#10 Posted: 04:26:27 26/04/2013
Indeed.
The only patch that'd be really cool would be the ability to use newer figures in older games. But I think that'd be better off being a special "backport :tm: " chip/figure that updates the game, instead of having to use wifi.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
#11 Posted: 05:06:42 26/04/2013
Quote: Doomslicer
Indeed.
The only patch that'd be really cool would be the ability to use newer figures in older games. But I think that'd be better off being a special "backport :tm: " chip/figure that updates the game, instead of having to use wifi.

That would be a cool idea, but with the storage capacity of the current figures, it would require new tech to make possible. And would probably be alot more expensive to purchase if they did do it.
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#12 Posted: 05:33:19 26/04/2013
Quote: EmperorKaos
Can wii have the path ?

My Wii couldn't even patch it, lack of wifi for asian consoles, so I couldn't receive the patch anyway.

You two seem to be missing the point... The topic of this thread is that Activision hasn't MADE any patches. There are none available, there's nothing to download, and some people feel they should be fixing issues that have been found.

Quote: siowm6
Indeed.

That would be a cool idea, but with the storage capacity of the current figures, it would require new tech to make possible. And would probably be alot more expensive to purchase if they did do it.

Actually having the new figures work in the old game would require nothing whatsoever of the figures, it would be completely in the game. But that patch would have to add in the code for EVERY figure, all their varieties (including when an upgrade makes someone look different), all their attacks, all those effects. That's a LOT to ask of a patch.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
#13 Posted: 07:38:55 26/04/2013
There are a lot of otherminor issues that it would be nice to have fixed, like any heroic involving killing spiders often doesn't register a kill (so i could kill 3 and each time it come up 0 out of 6 killed) or the reverse happens where 1 kill counts for 4.
obviously L-Chop Chop not working is annoying, and spyro and ghost roaster.
That said i don't see it ever happeneing smilie
#14 Posted: 14:58:53 26/04/2013
Yes, for backwards compatibility a downloadable patch would suffice. My comment about the figures being to small to store the data was in reference to Dooms, comment of a chip/figure to update the game instead.
SteveW Blue Sparx Gems: 964
#15 Posted: 03:15:43 27/04/2013
I think they did make a new version of the first Skylanders game in the USA for Wii. go to their website and click support (will need to create a login if you don't have one), click "my support" and "add platform", type in Skylanders and you'll see the remastered version. They used to list the original also but dropped it awhile ago. I don't know if they will send it to us though...
#16 Posted: 10:19:03 27/04/2013
Quote: siowm6
Yes, for backwards compatibility a downloadable patch would suffice. My comment about the figures being to small to store the data was in reference to Dooms, comment of a chip/figure to update the game instead.

To me, I understood that he meant to make the patch available otherwise, like in a USB key. Sounds to me like he's just trying to avoid having to do a large download to his console via his wifi. smilie
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
ClayFace Blue Sparx Gems: 835
#17 Posted: 14:22:16 27/04/2013
I really don't get this.
HomerSimpson Green Sparx Gems: 169
#18 Posted: 14:57:54 27/04/2013
Will cause them to much trouble to path the game, the xbox and ps3 work in 2 different ways

I want to see your precious wiiU with a path(got 8 g memory), so only if the game give up on wii we can get a path
---
Woohoo!
#19 Posted: 16:23:06 27/04/2013
It shouldn't matter how much "trouble" it is to fix their mistakes in games we've bought-
#20 Posted: 04:11:09 28/04/2013
Quote: HomerSimpson
Will cause them to much trouble to path the game, the xbox and ps3 work in 2 different ways

I want to see your precious wiiU with a path(got 8 g memory), so only if the game give up on wii we can get a path

They made the game for all these consoles, they can make patches for all these consoles. There's nothing that says one patch has to work on all consoles, they can make a patch for the XBox, another for the PS3, etc. And they patch other games, there's nothing about Skylanders making it un-patchable. In the end this most likely works like for computers, one set of code, compiled with different compilers to make it work where it needs to.

And the WiiU only has 8 gigs, coming out in this day and age? That seems EXTREMELY short-sighted, anything new should be getting the biggest HD that can fit... Are you sure?
---
DraculauraXXX Blue Sparx Gems: 654
#21 Posted: 04:26:52 28/04/2013
Quote: niceguy1
Quote: HomerSimpson

They made the game for all these consoles, they can make patches for all these consoles. There's nothing that says one patch has to work on all consoles, they can make a patch for the XBox, another for the PS3, etc. And they patch other games, there's nothing about Skylanders making it un-patchable. In the end this most likely works like for computers, one set of code, compiled with different compilers to make it work where it needs to.

And the WiiU only has 8 gigs, coming out in this day and age? That seems EXTREMELY short-sighted, anything new should be getting the biggest HD that can fit... Are you sure?

this post is perfect
just one thing to add, its very common for popular xbox games to get patches even over "little" things.
considering that skylanders makes much more money then the average xbox game, there no reason they cant handle patches for multiple consoles.
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#22 Posted: 05:33:19 28/04/2013
It's useless to make a patch if a lot of people possess the game but don't have an internet connection (think young players, families, casual gamers, etc.).
---
bye
#23 Posted: 07:48:54 28/04/2013
I think most people in this day and age have internet connections- not making a patch for a game because you think some random people wont want to/be able to download it is a lazy excuse. The game is riddled with annoying glitches, it would be nice for the majority of them to get fixed
#24 Posted: 15:12:35 28/04/2013
Quote: niceguy1

The basic Wii U only has 8Gb, But the Deluxe version has 32Gb.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#25 Posted: 17:41:08 28/04/2013 | Topic Creator
There's quite a few patches they should address...preventing completion of a heroic challenge is one such bug...yes there are workarounds for most issues but who DOESN'T patch their software at least once or twice in this day and age? If you bought a PC game you'd EXPECT a patch.

There are graphic glitches in PS3....I've seen health items disappear in the middle of battle...I've seen items get located out of reach for skylanders...etc etc. I'm sure over the last few weeks I've observed at least a dozen glitches.

Enjoy your glitches---I abhor mine and demand software companies to provide fixes... I work for a software company---what if Microsoft never patched their OS? You guys are in denial. Please don't give me "they aren't the same lame excuse"....software is made by humans---and as such there should be a program to update and perhaps even enhance the game based on feedback.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:43:00 28/04/2013 by GhostRoaster
Evokazz Green Sparx Gems: 111
#26 Posted: 22:36:37 28/04/2013
SSA Dragons Peak needs patching, 3 stars only gives 2.
mxzx800ho Yellow Sparx Gems: 1101
#27 Posted: 23:19:39 28/04/2013
So Ghostroaster your the reason why computers suck lol
---
I have Frightrider and Rattle shake Fritolay figures for trade for rares
#28 Posted: 00:47:40 29/04/2013
Quote: newkill
It's useless to make a patch if a lot of people possess the game but don't have an internet connection (think young players, families, casual gamers, etc.).

If this were true, if game companies actually thought like this, it wouldn't even be possible to patch games, and it is. And patches are indeed released for many games. And this is from someone like you described: I generally haven't had an internet connection available to my consoles, not until recently when I got an XBox which can use my wireless network. I don't play online, it doesn't appeal to me (which is why I LOVE that Skylanders is completely self contained). So I in fact have never ever patched any game ever. But I know patches exist, I know patches are released, I know people download and apply them. Just because there are people like me who won't use them doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of people on the other end of the spectrum, who check for patches daily and apply them as they become available.

This is the solution for rushing games out the door, and they do. I've spent a lot of time as a game tester, there were always deadlines. Games which are rushed out the door are released with errors. Then they have to fix them in patches. People decribe this as using the early adopters as beta testers, since the true tessting is only happening by the customers.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me