Page 1 of 1
So I was thinking of reviewing DOTD . . . [CLOSED]
Phantom Platinum Sparx Gems: 5241
#1 Posted: 01:10:42 03/04/2013 | Topic Creator
. . . But as you know, this may just be a "Phantom Project", which I will never do despite my excessive planning. Anyways, I'd like to compile a list of things that everyone loves or hates about the game. This includes any Nostalgia Critic style jokes you can think up. I appreciate your contribution.
---
CAUTION!
Falling Chandeliers
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#2 Posted: 01:35:38 03/04/2013
Dislike: The awkward controls, the constant lens flare the shiny graphics seems to give off, the boring music, the lackluster/plothole-ridden story, the fairly bad use of voice acting, the bland level design and aesthetic, the numerous references and set pieces reminiscent of God of War and Devil May Cry, the clunky combat, the free-flight mechanic (because of the controls)...

Like: Uh... err... <.<;

I MAY be just a teeny bit biased. <.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:35:49 03/04/2013 by HIR
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#3 Posted: 17:38:07 03/04/2013
Emm let's see:

Dislike: The Flying system sucks, the characters design is awful (it could be worst...), the gameplay wasn't "fun", the script it wasn't "darker" that I was expecting and the game was a bit "linear".

Likes: The Voice Acting is not bad, the music is good but I think is a bit underrated by others, the chapters select was a good idea if you want to replay the chapters of course but is not necessary and I really like the interaction between Spyro and Cynder in the game.

I like this game, but it's not my favorite.
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#4 Posted: 15:15:09 05/04/2013
Dislikes: Some battle songs are just remixes from the previous games, cringe-worthy plot,unoriginal/really bad character designs, bad gameplay,several examples of really bad voice acting... I could go on.

Likes: Uh,free flight and Elite enemies? Extra Boss Battles are always good. Free Flight lost its magic quickly but at least it had a lot of uses.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#5 Posted: 19:13:50 06/04/2013
I'm not going to lie to you as I just got done playing all three games over the past few days....

ANB was actually enjoyable despite several lockups and music disappearting (bc ps3 gameplay) which plagued also the TEN as well in playing it. However, the buildup from that game somewhat, really I didn't see much story plot in TEN and the fact if I went on how horrible the controls for that game I wouldn't even get to DotD. That game I think krome really dropped the ball on.

DotD was what the trilogy needed for a finale. You might not think so, but think of the plot where it went. Three years after TEN, only war was about and it made sense to age them somewhat, allow them to actually fly. (Imagine how TEN would have been with just that feature.) Able to skip cutscenes and inform me that I can. Powers had extra abilities, some powers from the previous games made a comeback. I should point out I played the first two on "ps2" more like the bc part of my ps3 while DotD was done on the normal ps3 disc.

"As far as I'm concerned, if you really thought that DotD was a horrible game then you must have been spending too much time in the matrix, or should I say dragon time, and took the blue pill. Even that couldn't make TEN's gameplay fun."

When I finally beat Gaul yesterday after dying and dying and even more dying and watching that cut scene sequence play over and over on such cheap deaths that at times you wondered if it was actually programming error or someone was just lazy. In fact, I barely was able to beat the game. If it wasn't for his tornado in second phase, I would have fallen to my death.

Returning to DotD, I was slightly furious after this, the kind where you wanted to punch babies, something or anything after that ordeal. When you get to DotD not only do they make jumping not a chore but free roam flight? How can you not spend time on that waterfall when you first reach the open field? I spent 30 minutes just doing that in awe, simply because I wouldn't be affected on actually dying from the descent. What's this? Combat that actually feels less cheap but gives you a chance to bring pain to opponents to lay a smack down? Comparing the last two games that decided to let me spank a monkey ad nasuem to the point I was reminded which simion I was backhanding at the time. No names here and no need to be aqainted with mr elite wvyern or troll here. Taste ice shards or a flavor of fear. Poison's nice too. There's also the fact of more conversation and I mean actual conversation between Spyro and Cynder and if you paid attention to the previous games it wasn't a plot hole - they were both supposed to be on par of each other. (Insert any famous duo here.)

I actually started playing the trilogy only on Dawn of the Dragon, but due to some family issues recently I thought to actually pick up the other two and finally play them. I bought them when I got DotD but just had them locked away. I loved dawn of the dragon then and only hold more appreciation to it now. ANB made a good start story wise, TEN had a good build up but sacrificed too much gameplay to get to its conclusion and DotD did a wonderful job on taking the flag to the goalline to a satisfying conclusion.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:19:48 06/04/2013 by tigerdr
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me