Page 1 of 1
How bad is the 3DS version? [CLOSED]
DutRank Blue Sparx Gems: 800
#1 Posted: 23:32:47 18/03/2013 | Topic Creator
Thinking about buying it at $39.99 at Target but I've seen mixed reviews. I have Spyros Adventure for 3DS but I've heard Giants is different. I have Punch Pop Fizz so that's not a reason I want to buy it. Just want to try it on 3DS since I've completed the Xbox version.
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#2 Posted: 23:57:34 18/03/2013
It's not at all as enjoyable as the 3DS of Spyro's Adventure was. I don't even know how to properly describe it but it just feels tedious, repetitive and pointless.

The villain (Frightbeard?) in this game is poor! I didn't feel his presence at all (unlike Hektor). If you didn't play the first 3ds game you'll be lost as to why the shards matter. Even then, I forgot they mattered until I first encountered the time challenge with Hektor still attacking the player (even though he was destroyed).

And the final battle! UGH! That was so pointless. It felt like a spammy subboss.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:58:38 18/03/2013 by Hexin_Wishes
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#3 Posted: 00:56:29 19/03/2013
Neither target had the one with the characters--only the Portal Owner's Pack. I heard it stinks as well...if I get it it's only for the Punch Pop Fizz.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#4 Posted: 11:55:39 19/03/2013
videos...

first look...

Unboxing 3DS Starter Pack
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8274
#5 Posted: 21:15:37 19/03/2013
My overall thoughts o the 3DS version of both games.

SSA: rating 9/10

The 3DS of Spyro's Adventure is better than the console version in some areas, like jumping and such. The worlds are fun and creative, even the homeworld is fun to run around in too! Although there are some downsides, like the graphics could be better, MUCH better, but they are still good. Upgrades can be disappointing, for example, Spyro's upgrades are pretty good but instead of getting automatically getting 3 flameballs when pressing Y, you have to charge it up. This one is just a nitpick but when some of the Skylanders walk, it just looks dumb (Zap does not have his cute little hop, but instead does what looks like some weird crawl(I guess that's how frogs walk. )and Drobot is looks to stiff for my taste but I still play as them both a lot)

SG: rating 6/10

This one was a disappointment, it's just dull and kinda boring, and The worlds were mediocre (The tunnel of love is the best! It's actually a fun level!) The bosses were easy to beat and the story is not that great. I still play it though, but not as much as I played SSA.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:18:50 19/03/2013 by HeyitsHotDog
TerraFizz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1484
#6 Posted: 03:07:11 22/03/2013
It's okay. That's really about it.

Though I did love the saloon music in the Westernworld stage.
---
smilie Pop Fizz's Theme Song: smilie
http://youtu.be/zpE08s1g7m4
IJJusion Green Sparx Gems: 136
#7 Posted: 08:14:15 22/03/2013
i played the first couple of levels then i realized i was having no fun smilie it was pretty bad.

but i got it 50% off and the main reason i got it was for punch pop fizz so im still happy ~
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:14:55 22/03/2013 by IJJusion
GB700 Green Sparx Gems: 475
#8 Posted: 10:55:56 22/03/2013
I bought a 3DSXL console for the sole reason of buying giants and getting punch pop fizz .I loved the console game and was after a new skylanders adventure.

For me personally I wish I never bothered and got the PS Vita instead (Which I have always intended on getting).

A little off topic, I find the 3DS in itself to be quite rubbish, I dont know if thats taken the shine away from the game or if it is just the game is rubbish on 3DS.
---
SWAPS smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
LC smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
CORE smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#9 Posted: 12:33:54 22/03/2013
Neither Skylanders 3DS game is all that great, but IMO the Giants game was better. I couldn't stand the ridiculous "run to the exit" novelty of S:SA 3DS. Giants 3DS is styled gameplay-wise more like the home console Giants game.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#10 Posted: 21:26:29 22/03/2013
I am not sure I am going to bother with the 3DS version of SwapForce. n Space just failed in comparison to Vicarious Visions (no wonder they were chosen to the the third Skylanders game, the first 3DS installment was a perfect companion) and they are doing the SwapForce 3DS version. Here's hoping the variant isn't someone I care for.
Teratron Yellow Sparx Gems: 1796
#11 Posted: 20:37:33 24/03/2013
I actually played Giants 3DS before SSA 3DS. From that perspective, I have a lot of the same issues with SSA that a lot of people here have with Giants: it's dull and repetitive. The best I can come up with is that once you get past the novelty, playing essentially the same game a second time just isn't very entertaining.

One big plus for Giants is that it isn't nearly as irritating with the time limits in every level.
#12 Posted: 20:44:52 24/03/2013
I don't get where you guys are talking about the time limit.

I for one had no problem with it in SA 3DS because it made sense that Hektor would want to stop you from having all the shards. It made the villain ever-present unlike whatever flop Pirate they had in Giants (Whobeard?)
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#13 Posted: 22:40:30 24/03/2013
SSA was fun, but the whole thing with Hektor made it tedious to try to nab the last few shards, especially if you had to do something after you went through the level the first time and Time Trial was all you could get. The last battle was fun, but the running away part was.....well, hard and un-fun. That's a word I just made up for this. It was because you really couldn't enjoy the level at all...it was really nicely rendered...and forced you to basically break your analog stick to run.

Giants was alright, but not as good as SSA. You get random characters joining your "Crew" who serve no purpose whatsoever in the plot. (MAYBE they said something about "Oh go here" or something like that. I don't even know- shows you how much they matter) 3DS Giants DID however fix the problem in the first game, allowing you to chose if you want to do time trial or regular version, although this bizarrely is not fixed in the Adventure Pack levels. (Nor is Hektor's sighing soundbite after you complete a level)

The levels in Giants were longer, yet the storyline was shorter, not unlike the console version. However, Frightbeard was not that big of a baddie that Hektor was..it just felt like you had to very simply avoid his attacks which was easy once you could see what he was doing.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Heirumaru2286 Gold Sparx Gems: 2285
#14 Posted: 23:23:23 25/03/2013
Only thing good about the 3DS games is that Dark Spyro has new moves
---
..::TotallyAwezum::..
#15 Posted: 00:18:49 26/03/2013
Quote: Heirumaru2286

I sincerely hope VV carries that over to Swap Force.
BlazeHeatnix28 Blue Sparx Gems: 911
#16 Posted: 00:30:57 28/03/2013
Who would've thought that a Skylanders game could be bad? I most certainly didn't.
---
Awesome Shadow The Hedgehog & Ahsoka Tano avatar by the equally awesome Ace Archdragon!!!!
"I can handle anything."-Ahsoka Tano (SW TCW Ssn.3 Ep.21)
TerraFizz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1484
#17 Posted: 08:22:26 30/03/2013
Quote: Hexin_Wishes
Quote: Heirumaru2286

I sincerely hope VV carries that over to Swap Force.

So do I, he's my favorite to use in the 3DS games just for his more melee oriented moveset alone.
---
smilie Pop Fizz's Theme Song: smilie
http://youtu.be/zpE08s1g7m4
JCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1540
#18 Posted: 12:30:32 30/03/2013
Let's see.... Well for starters in some ways I like the S:SA 3DS better than Giants 3DS. There are some points I can go over.

I Found S:SA more challenging than Giants. I liked the timed challenge of completing a mission then racing to the end. And it made trying to finish more than one mission more exciting. (Yes I've been able to do that.) However, I didn't like how once you've gotten to Vectors Challenge you allways had to do vector's challenge. Something that I liked in Giants. However, I found that the timed Challenge in Giants makes it almost impossible to complete another mission while doing that too.

The levels in Giants are bigger/longer but honestly S:SA was more platformed focused through the entire levels.

The Giants version was almost trying to mix the Console versions with jumping and taking out most of the puzzles.

Rather you get it or not depends. Really, if you have some newlanders you'd rather play as or if you haven't played either S:SA or Giants then sure get it.

Myself, I'd still get a game that's the next in a series i like rather i heard it was bad or not. I'm just like that.
---
Main Team: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
~N~
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me