Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
What game should I get? [CLOSED]
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#1 Posted: 01:22:45 08/03/2013 | Topic Creator
A certain someone still wants to give me something for our anniversary (my gift for her still hasn't arrived yet). I was looking through Steam but I don't quite know what to ask for just yet. So I'm going to do what anyone would do in this situation: Ask random people on the internet.

Below are a few choices that were taken from my wishlist. What do you think I should get (if you played any of them)? Or would you suggest something else entirely? If you choose to suggest something else, keep in mind that I don't want her to spend too much on me (so don't go saying something like Borderlands 2 or XCOM), and my graphics card is ATI Raedon HD 2600 XT, so I'm somewhat limited as to what I could handle (I would be gambling with Mark of the Ninja should it be chosen).

Antichamber
Mark of the Ninja
Bulletstorm
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Retro City Rampage

Also keep in mind that while this is posted here, I also have a thread very similar to this on another site. Currently, Chivalry is leading in the polls there. I will combine the results from both sites and (try to) make a decision from there.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#2 Posted: 01:45:02 08/03/2013
I had a lot of fun with Mark of the Ninja. It was an awesome combination of stealth and action and had some of the better side-scrolling mechanics. It's probably one of my favorite games from 2012 and it was a blast. So it gets my vote. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#3 Posted: 12:00:15 08/03/2013
I suggest Antichamber.

I don't want to say too much, as it's like Journey in the sense that playing it with as little knowledge about it as possible offers the best experience. But it's worth the price. Very engaging puzzle solving, and it's a thought provoking game. It's also not really short like say, the original Portal. It's a 10 hour game by the looks of it.

I haven't beaten it, but I've played an accumulated time of 8 hours at least.

-----

Bulletstorm would be my second recommendation. I haven't played it that much, but I loved what I played. It was just really fun as crazy, and you can do all sorts of things to fight your enemies. This seems to carry over into the multiplayer too.

Keep in mind that I'm not much of an FPS fan, so I'm generally harsh on them. With Bulletstorm though, it's too awesome to even want to look at it critically, I just had a blast.
I played the Xbox 360 version though. I don't know how the PC version was handled, so I'm not aware of any problems exclusive to that version.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:08:22 08/03/2013 by sonicbrawler182
#4 Posted: 19:36:51 08/03/2013 | Topic Creator
^Several people in the shoutbox of the other site have told me to play Antichamber because of how it ****s with the mind, and it's why I figured it would be leading in the polls (yet it isn't). I would've gotten it right away but the other options are things I've also considered.

And out of the games on the list, I've played Bulletstorm and Chivalry. Both of them are relatively good IMO.
#5 Posted: 21:16:04 08/03/2013
To be honest, all of the games are supposed to be great (my brother has Mark of the Ninja and RRR and loves them, and I watched Game Grumps play Chivalry and it looked cool).

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. For example, Antichamber is the only really thought provoking game there, and it's the artsy indie kind. And because it messes with your expectations, you may be able for it even if puzzle games are not normally your strong point. The game has had absolutely no story from the 8 hours or so I played, but it gets you thinking about general things in life.

And I believe Chivalry is multiplayer focused, so if you want a dedicated multiplayer game, go for that.

Antichamber was the game I was most interested in, but all of them are worth playing. So I suppose you should just decide what kind of experience you're looking for.
---
#6 Posted: 00:07:24 09/03/2013 | Topic Creator
I know they all vary in design and genre. And TBH I'm likely to get all of these games at some point in the future. This topic (and the topic on the other forum) is simply to decide which one I ask for and get now, rather than wait until the summer sale to get.

Speaking of which, combining both sites, here's what I got so far:

Antichamber: 3
Mark of the Ninja: 3
Bulletstorm: 0 (unless Brawler's mention of it counts)
Retro City Rampage: 1
Chivalry: 3

And two people voted to suggest something else. One of them suggested Killing Floor, and the other may or may not have suggested Borderlands 2 (even though my post said not to).
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#7 Posted: 00:29:07 09/03/2013
Bulletstorm is the only one I tried, and aside the GoW series, it's the one of the best shooting games I've played.
#8 Posted: 00:37:09 09/03/2013
I could think of other PC games that I've seen recently, and am really interested in, but have not yet gotten a chance to play. They're all indie titles and I'm sure they will be affordable under the circumstances:

-The Bridge
-Proteus
-Thomas Was Alone
-Slender: The Arrival (not out yet, but can be preordered. Doing so gets you a demo).

Just games for you to look into if your current choices are giving you a tough time deciding.
I'm not sure if Slender: The Arrival would be manageable for your PC as I don't know the requirements and it is a pretty detailed game. But the rest of them would certainly work ok your PC.
---
#9 Posted: 02:52:10 09/03/2013 | Topic Creator
Thomas Was Alone is a game I considered making an option (bunched together with Lone Survivor), but I decided that I'll just buy it myself later on.

And my PC could hardly handle the original Slender on the lowest settings, so I doubt I'd have much luck with the sequel. I wouldn't want to play it anyway.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me