Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Xbox 720/ New Xbox [CLOSED]
WUMBOSIMPSON Yellow Sparx Gems: 1424
#1 Posted: 06:45:16 21/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Discuss the new Xbox console, name isn't confirmed but "720" is bouncing around. IMO 720 sounds good enough.
Concept trailer:
---
cry baby, I am
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#2 Posted: 20:53:27 21/02/2013
waitominute, those lighting effects will be in the room? 0.0
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#3 Posted: 11:45:56 22/02/2013
Am I the only one who dosen't like this idea?
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#4 Posted: 15:09:39 22/02/2013
the "Project Fortaleza" 3d glasses for kinect 2

[User Posted Image]

just in case the forum is blocked ...

Reading over The Verge's article about the Xbox 720 document leak, one thing struck me more than anything else. Though the promise of a 6 core Xbox, 3D Kinect, and cloud gaming are exciting, the real game changer revealed in the document is a point that was barely mentioned, Project Fortaleza. The basic idea behind Project Fortaleza, as interpreted by Tom Warren, is a gaming-focused competitor to Google's Project Glass. In the words of the original leaked document (which has since been taken offline by Microsoft's lawyers), Project Fortaleza is a "breakthrough heads up and hands-free device." So what does that mean?

When the Kinect was first revealed in June 2009 as Project Natal, a seed of an idea was planted in the back of my mind that has grown over the past three years. The seed was this: the sensor powering the Kinect, made by an Israeli company called PrimeSense, could be used to create a science fiction-like augmented reality HUD (Heads Up Display) system like the one used by Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man.

How would this work? Basically, as you look around a room, the infrared sensor from the Kinect/PrimeSense camera would be used to build a live 3D model. Virtual objects could be placed in this model; for an example, a virtual TV could be placed on an empty wall. Whenever somebody wearing those glasses were to walk into that room, the 3D model would be matched to the previously made 3D model and the TV would appear.

But this goes beyond simply placing virtual objects. Imagine playing a zombie video game. As you walk around your house, zombes would pop up from behind couches and from underneath beds that have been 3D mapped (in live-time) by the Kinect/PrimeSense camera. To kill the zombes, you have to find real objects around your house to attack them with. In the opposite direction, these glasses could be a game-changer in the business world. Imagine that you are an architect and you're sitting around a conference table with a client. You think that it would be a great idea to put a giant water slide in the middle of the office building you're designing, but your client just isn't buying it. To try and win them over, you use your glasses to display a live 3D model in the middle of the conference table. Using a worker-simulation app, you show your client how much time employees would save if they used a water slide to go downstairs. When you're showing them the 3D model without the water slides, your client realizes that workers have a long way to walk to get to the copy room. Using your glasses, you are able to move the copy room on the spot and demonstrate to your clients the improved work flow. Though your client does not agree to have the water slide built, the collaboration through the HUD glasses has lead to a more efficiently-designed building.

So what evidence do we have that Microsoft is actually building these glasses? Let's start with the leaked name, Project Fortaleza. Microsoft traditionally code names projects after cities, and Fortaleza is a city in Brazil. In addition, Fortaleza is the site of an ambitious Brazilian government metro-building project, but I'm guessing that that is just a coincidence. So it appears that the code name checks out, and this could be an actual Microsoft project, not just the dreams of a fan boy in his parent's basement. (The fact that the Power Point was taken offline by Microsoft's lawyers also suggests that it was real).
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#5 Posted: 15:14:56 22/02/2013
that'd be epic. youd be playing as the skylander on the portal, and attacking things around the room.
#6 Posted: 01:53:08 23/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: X-Treme
that'd be epic. youd be playing as the skylander on the portal, and attacking things around the room.

*usedforFPSstuff
---
cry baby, I am
Resonance_Gamer Green Sparx Gems: 292
#7 Posted: 04:33:13 23/02/2013
I don't plan to buy any console in the foreseeable future. Well...maybe the Steam Box.
---
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
skylanders100 Green Sparx Gems: 388
#8 Posted: 12:25:40 23/02/2013
skylanders is still going to be on the xbox 360 X-Treme
---
come join my beyblade metal fury role play
fireofexile Blue Sparx Gems: 703
#9 Posted: 12:54:20 23/02/2013
At least they don't have a controller with a touch-screen yet *cough* PS4 *cough*
#10 Posted: 19:49:29 24/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Maybe something with Kinect? :?
---
cry baby, I am
Cynder_fan Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#11 Posted: 20:44:35 24/02/2013
Quote: WUMBOSIMPSON
Maybe something with Kinect? :?

Yep..
---
Local technician who comes up with rediculous ideas
SonicGX98 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1306
#12 Posted: 16:46:20 25/02/2013
New Xbox event coming soon. Can't Wait! smilie
---
His name was Lee. He taught me how to survive. He's the reason I keep my hair short.
Mood: smilie Yellow Sparx....Wish I was able to still be blue
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#13 Posted: 17:27:50 25/02/2013
Quote: SonicGX98

WHEN WHEN
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#14 Posted: 17:58:17 25/02/2013
To be honest, this tech is just going to be an expensive novelty that'll be incredibly useless in almost any room and will get boring/old within no time at all. What's wrong with just playing the game on the screen? Why would you need the game footage to bleed out onto the rest of your room?

If it comes with the console, it'll defiantly bump up the price meaning I won't get it but if it's just an optional extra and the console is a reasonably price then I'll more than likely be getting the next Xbox at some point; but personally I'm taking priority to the PS4.
Apoc Gold Sparx Gems: 2941
#15 Posted: 18:53:15 25/02/2013
Uses Kinect, screw that.
---
DarkSpyro's resident "cool person" except there's nothing cool about me.
I've been here since god knows when and ask any old heads about me.
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#16 Posted: 19:44:13 25/02/2013
Quote: bionicle2809
To be honest, this tech is just going to be an expensive novelty that'll be incredibly useless in almost any room and will get boring/old within no time at all. What's wrong with just playing the game on the screen? Why would you need the game footage to bleed out onto the rest of your room?

If it comes with the console, it'll defiantly bump up the price meaning I won't get it but if it's just an optional extra and the console is a reasonably price then I'll more than likely be getting the next Xbox at some point; but personally I'm taking priority to the PS4.

^THIS
#17 Posted: 21:41:02 25/02/2013

TBH I'd find it awesome regardless. Talk about immersive gaming. And also, think about lan parties, how awesome would having literally a wall as your monitor?

Quote: Apoc
Uses Kinect, screw that.

PS4 is made for social networks, screw that.
---
#18 Posted: 21:46:07 25/02/2013
Quote: Cynder_fan

TBH I'd find it awesome regardless. Talk about immersive gaming. And also, think about lan parties, how awesome would having literally a wall as your monitor?

Uses Kinect, screw that.

Yes, let's have someone snipe you by looking at your wall at LAN parties. There is a reason nobody uses projectors in LAN parties, they're expensive, they're hard to see and someone can cheat by sniping. gg

Indeed. So I'll just stick to PC.
---
#19 Posted: 21:52:13 25/02/2013
Quote: Cynder_fan

Uses Kinect, screw that.

Yes, let's have someone snipe you by looking at your wall at LAN parties. There is a reason nobody uses projectors in LAN parties, they're expensive, they're hard to see and someone can cheat by sniping. gg

Indeed. So I'll just stick to PC.

I was giving an example. I love the concept. My friend loves it and so does my boss. It's not a ridiculous idea.
---
#20 Posted: 21:56:13 25/02/2013
It wasn't a very good example. The whole idea is a gimmick anyways, not practical at all.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:56:26 25/02/2013 by Apoc
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#21 Posted: 22:15:58 25/02/2013
Quote: fireofexile
At least they don't have a controller with a touch-screen yet *cough* PS4 *cough*

*cough* WiiU *cough*
SolemnWhisper Yellow Sparx Gems: 1054
#22 Posted: 20:17:30 26/02/2013
Honestly, the more I hear about these new consoles and the new "high tech" stuff that comes with, the less I want to buy these new consoles.

Fortezala sounds cool enough, but something more I'd want to see at a birthday party or an arcade of some kind, not at home....
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#23 Posted: 21:22:21 26/02/2013
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I sense a console war coming on. (inb4 I shouldn't have said that)

I disagree, mostly due to indifference. I don't think people are going to care as much, especially with the increasing number of multiplatform releases (*cough*Rayman Legends, Watch_Dogs, Destiny*cough*) for video games. I don't plan to get a 720 to begin with, but I have ZILCH interest in the PS4 and WiiU for now.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#24 Posted: 12:30:12 28/02/2013
I honestly don't see the problem with PS4 making gaming more social. The idea behind Drive Club sounded pretty revolutionary to me. And I love the idea behind the Share button, it'll be great for fighting games and games with speed run potential.

Not to mention that there actually seems to be some good exclusives on it, like Knack, The Witness, and Deep Down. And I'm sure Infamous will be good too. And although currently unannounced, we'll be getting Uncharted 4 (some leaks happened). And I loved Media Molecule's presentation. Not only has it gotten me hopeful for LittleBigPlanet 3, but that model sculpting idea using the Move sounds like more than just a novel thing. Even if they create a new IP that utilises it, I'd be into it.

As for 720, it sounds impressive, technically speaking...but how many serious games would utilise the augmented reality?
And picking up real objects to attack zombies with, as you walk around your house? Again, sounds cool, but it's a recipe for disaster too. If people broke their TVs with Wii Remotes or injured other people with them, imagine what could happen here.
And again, it won't be used for full on adventure games or anything. I doubt anybody's home would be big enough to be the setting for the next Halo game or Deadrising game.

As for Wii U, I own the system, and it's awesome, and there are a lot of exciting titles on the way. And the GamePad doesn't feel gimmicky at all, nor novel. It's an incredibly practical device.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:43:21 28/02/2013 by sonicbrawler182
#25 Posted: 12:37:52 28/02/2013
Quote: HIR
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I sense a console war coming on. (inb4 I shouldn't have said that)

I disagree, mostly due to indifference. I don't think people are going to care as much, especially with the increasing number of multiplatform releases (*cough*Rayman Legends, Watch_Dogs, Destiny*cough*) for video games. I don't plan to get a 720 to begin with, but I have ZILCH interest in the PS4 and WiiU for now.

Pretty much my opinion. The only real interesting title for me is NSMB U but even then that's not enough for me to shell out several hundred pounds for one. The xbox concept above looks so cool however I would be very interested in buying it despite price.
---
SonicGX98 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1306
#26 Posted: 14:42:03 28/02/2013
Quote: CommanderGame

WHEN WHEN

Supposedly on April 26. I'm probably gonna get the PS4 instead though,according to the CEO of Ebidos, it will require a constant Xbox Live Connection to use it, and once you put a disc in, you can only use it on that console, therefore basically killing off the used game market. I don't care really, sure I play xbox more, but until I got one, I was a hardcore Playstation fanboy. The PS1 was the second console I ever played (first was Sega Genesis).
---
His name was Lee. He taught me how to survive. He's the reason I keep my hair short.
Mood: smilie Yellow Sparx....Wish I was able to still be blue
gillgrunt987 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7369
#27 Posted: 16:53:07 28/02/2013
Who won the DS,Wii,Xbox,PS3 console war?
---
I can survive scalding hot coffee and being whipped for 24 hours a day. Digestive biscuits or riot.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#28 Posted: 17:02:14 28/02/2013
Quote: gillgrunt987

No one really "wins" a console war, it doesn't really work that way. I think the only way a console war is really "won" is if a console gets to the point where no one is buying it and the company behind it aren't making any money from it; the Virtual Boy for example could be considered a "loss", so could the Atari 2600 in some cases.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#29 Posted: 17:05:41 28/02/2013
"Console War" is just a concept coined by rabid fanboys.

To be technical, the economic term used for the gaming industry would probably be "perfect competition".
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#30 Posted: 17:08:16 28/02/2013
Quote: CommanderGame

WHEN WHEN

Supposedly on April 26. I'm probably gonna get the PS4 instead though,according to the CEO of Ebidos, it will require a constant Xbox Live Connection to use it, and once you put a disc in, you can only use it on that console, therefore basically killing off the used game market. I don't care really, sure I play xbox more, but until I got one, I was a hardcore Playstation fanboy. The PS1 was the second console I ever played (first was Sega Genesis).

Uhm, the PS4 was rumoured to have the same system in place, but it won't now.

Quote: gillgrunt987

The Xbox 360 in the UK as far as I can see. PS3 in Croatia
---
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#31 Posted: 23:02:52 28/02/2013
In my regian theres only 1 person with a xbox 360.
And in stores theres only 5 xbox games to sell against 50 ps3 games.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me