Page 1 of 1
historical names? [CLOSED]
Volteer Blue Sparx Gems: 566
#1 Posted: 04:16:01 10/01/2007 | Topic Creator
look up histrooical people, there was cyril, a ruler of...babylonia, i think. and ignatius loyola started a society for Jesus. and there is a guy named voltaire, whoo was a tyrant, sorta. i swear the developers stole my histroy book. has anyone noticed this?
---
Hey guys sorry i havent been posting....been real busy
Michael Yellow Sparx Gems: 1326
#2 Posted: 20:14:44 10/01/2007
I have found no ruler of Babylonina, but have found a St.Cyril of Jerusalem, a St.Cyril of Alexandria and a St.Cyril of Great Moravia. I also found Ignatius of Loyola, who set up the Society of Jesus, and Voltaire, a French philosopher(Voltaire is not his real name but his pen name). I found all of this on en.Wikipedia.org.
#3 Posted: 23:24:11 10/01/2007 | Topic Creator
cool!! see i told ya so.... Cyril was like the first great king of babylonia or something like that, i know so...
---
RedWelshDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1250
#4 Posted: 20:12:36 11/01/2007
Well Krome studios had to get inspiration from somewhere!
But the names can work on meanings too.

Ignatius - you can ignite something so that it is on fire.
Volteer - (kinda obvious) electric volts.
Cyril - I've always thought of names like this to be associated with cold and ice. It's just pleasing to the ear and relates to ice in a way. Don't ask me how?
Terrador - hmm. Trickier. Earth breath is a terror isn't it?
---
College is a refuge from hasty judgement.

Definition of a college lecturer: someone who talks in other peoples sleep.
#5 Posted: 21:08:04 11/01/2007
Terrador's name is a pun on the word Terra, the Latin word for Earth.
#6 Posted: 21:42:00 11/01/2007 | Topic Creator
in the movie gone with the wind, that is the name of their plantation. terra. earth.....anyone seen that classic movie?
---
#7 Posted: 18:42:08 13/01/2007
Gotcha Michael. I never knew that! But it could work the other way too. Never seen gone with the wind, but whistle down the wind is a hilarious black and white in a way. I guess the names could have come from a lot of places, but were really chosen because they're pleasing to hear and fitting. I find that when I'm writing stories that I can't change a name once it comes to me. It just won't fit otherwise!
---

#8 Posted: 20:37:03 13/01/2007 | Topic Creator
i know what you mean rwd
---
Lover of Spyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1831
#9 Posted: 15:41:04 14/01/2007
Ignitus is called that cos he is the guardian of fire and Ignite means to set some thing on fire!SPOILER wen u go some were through the swamp, a voice like Ignitus's and some subtitles say "Ignite the flame".
---
i'm baaack!smiliesmilie
#10 Posted: 16:21:47 14/01/2007
That's where I reckon Ignatius's name came from anyway! Krome should have a question day.

RWD: Krome, where did you get all of these names?

KROME: We just got this fab new machine in! It's called the INTERNET!

*shock horror*
---

Dragginwings Gold Sparx Gems: 2279
#11 Posted: 16:30:25 14/01/2007
Ha ha lol agreed.
#12 Posted: 18:17:49 14/01/2007
Other dragons in the series have had their names being something related to fire, such as Flame and Ember. Also, Spyro's name seems to be a play on the word pyro.
Dragginwings Gold Sparx Gems: 2279
#13 Posted: 20:56:24 14/01/2007
Yeah, I noticed that too. smilie
#14 Posted: 17:14:09 17/01/2007
I noticed that ages when we were talking about a German pyromaniac in history! (We're doing all about World War 1 and 2 and Hitler so that's the only reason I know really!)
---

spyro_987 Blue Sparx Gems: 871
#15 Posted: 21:51:16 18/01/2007
Quote: Volteer
look up histrooical people, there was cyril, a ruler of...babylonia, i think. and ignatius loyola started a society for Jesus. and there is a guy named voltaire, whoo was a tyrant, sorta. i swear the developers stole my histroy book. has anyone noticed this?

I have no idea what you are saying.
---
HOOPLA
Last edited at 21:51:42 18/01/2007 by spyro_987
#16 Posted: 22:19:40 18/01/2007 | Topic Creator
michael, sorry, but it was Cyrus, and he was a persian ruler, sorry but i did learn this at the beginning of the school year. but there was a cyril somewhere. like your St. Cyril person
---
#17 Posted: 09:15:21 20/01/2007
Oh, I found Cyrus the Great on en.wikipedia.org. He was the founder of the Persian Empire, born in either 576 or 590 BC and died in 530 BC.
#18 Posted: 16:40:18 20/01/2007 | Topic Creator
yes, and he united the medes and the persians, i think. but you can see howi mistake it for cyril, the two names are similar
---
#19 Posted: 19:17:17 21/01/2007
Oh, cool. It's strange where certain names crop up isn't it? Like I'll read a book, then somebody in my school will say "Oh (NAME) did blah, blah, blah on such a day!" It's weird!
---

#20 Posted: 21:57:14 21/01/2007 | Topic Creator
it fun to know history? isnt it? lol
---
#21 Posted: 16:40:27 22/01/2007
Its freaky soemtimes! My history teacher loves all the gory bits. Bleah! It's like: "Who here's got a full stomach right now? Well you won't after I've told you this!"

Funny history story that ACTUALLY happened!

This man during the war woke up cos he felt a little bit cold. he gets up and realises that his bed is in the middle of the street! A bomb had gone off, destroyed his house around him and left him alive! Now that's taking the saying, you'd sleep if a bomb went off a little too literally!
---

#22 Posted: 18:23:34 22/01/2007 | Topic Creator
haha, interesting. i dont like recent history, i like history up until when they discoeverd guns. it is more fun to read about battles with swords and sheilds and armor rather than strategy, and techonology
---
#23 Posted: 19:47:42 22/01/2007
I love medieval stuff! I can't get enough of it! Most of my books (and this is A LOT) are based in medieval times. They call them fantasy but hey - there was a medieval time with knights, swords and battles wasn't there? I'd rather do that in history than Hitler and the Nazis! I am a master of strategy and I love chess too! Strategy with "modern" stuff (guns, rifles, tanks etc etc etc yawn) just doesn't work. In medieval battles there was always a plan that would be carried out - modern wars just have boring trenches! I'm not allowed to have war games though . . . I might try to get some now that I have my own laptop!
---

#24 Posted: 19:50:26 22/01/2007 | Topic Creator
yeah i like the old time wars too. when people had family "logos" their heraldry on sheilds, and people had to learn swords skills instead of schooling. and it was more fun to read about brave knights instead of strategic millitary people who hardly get their hands dirty
---
#25 Posted: 19:52:43 22/01/2007
Yep. I'd love to learn how to handle a proper sword! I'm thinking about taking up fencing but I don't have much time cos of coursework.
---

#26 Posted: 19:53:47 22/01/2007 | Topic Creator
is courseowkr what you call school?
---
#27 Posted: 19:56:22 22/01/2007
Fancy name for homework when you get to year 10. The teahers are even trying to call it home learning now but like it or not it will always always be homework to us in my school!
---

Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me