Forum

Spyro: A Hero's Tail

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: A Hero's Tail > Played this for the first time... *An update with a few thoughts*
Page 1 of 1
Played this for the first time... *An update with a few thoughts* [CLOSED]
InsomDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 6823
#1 Posted: 20:48:46 25/08/2012 | Topic Creator
I don't make many topics here on darkSpyro, nor do I post that much but I feel like I should post a topic to make myself known.

Anyway, I have grown up playing Insomniac Games' Spyro the Dragon trilogy and to a certain extent, Enter the Dragonfly. They are the games (along with Crash Bandicoot) that defined my childhood. I am to this day still playing - it's still amazing!

It's been ten years since those games came out and I think it's about time I tried some of the other Spyro games but I have my concerns. Legend of Spyro looks iffy to me - I can't really see myself enjoying it. Skylanders looks quite good but I think I'm gonna leave that just now, mainly because of the toys and such.

A Hero's Tail, however, looks decent. Quite looking forward to it actually. =)

--

I have the game and managed to have a little shot. In short, it's quite good but here are some of my thoughts so far:

The game looks nice, the colours are vibrant making my journey through the Dragon Village quite pleasant.

The music for the village was catchy and upbeat, I hope the rest of the game's music is just as good. I do miss Stewart Copeland's awesome work, it's a shame he wasn't involved.

Square to breathe fire and circle to charge? That's going to take time to get used to. That aside, the controls work well. I like the new double jump move for Spyro and breathing fire is better than before.

I'm not so sure I'm going to like the characters very much. Maybe I've been so used to Tom Kenny and the likes from Spyro 2, 3 and Dragonfly but I'm just not fond of these new voices.

Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:31:12 29/08/2012 by InsomDog
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#2 Posted: 21:01:32 25/08/2012
AHT is a nice game, however it doesn't have much replay value if you ask me, but I think it's the best non-Insomniac Spyro game out there to be honest. Also, at times, I think people can under-rate it too. There are a lot of cool new things about this game, but it does sort of lack in some areas.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:02:26 25/08/2012 by SuperSpyroFan
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7699
#3 Posted: 21:31:15 25/08/2012
Quote: InsomDog
I don't make many topics here on darkSpyro, nor do I post that much but I feel like I should post a topic to make myself known.

Anyway, I have grown up playing Insomniac Games' Spyro the Dragon trilogy and to a certain extent, Enter the Dragonfly. They are the games (along with Crash Bandicoot) that defined my childhood. I am to this day still playing - it's still amazing!

It's been ten years since those games came out and I think it's about time I tried some of the other Spyro games but I have my concerns. Legend of Spyro looks iffy to me - I can't really see myself enjoying it. Skylanders looks quite good but I think I'm gonna leave that just now, mainly because of the toys and such.

A Hero's Tail, however, looks decent. Quite looking forward to it actually. =)

Oh my God, samesamesamesamesame!!!! That's the EXACT SAME reason why i ordered AHT just now! smilie
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
#4 Posted: 21:37:27 25/08/2012 | Topic Creator
^ Not long ordered my copy of Amazon.

Incidentally, I bought Crash Twinsanity with it too for the same reasons.
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#5 Posted: 22:16:55 25/08/2012
I personally find AHT to be really enjoyable. Agreeing with SuperSpyroFan, the best non-Insomniac Spyro game out there. Hopefully you'll enjoy it, it does have it's own charm.

As for Crash Twinsanity, that's my absolute fave Crash game, honestly. A lot would disagree, but eh, each to their own I say.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#6 Posted: 01:34:54 26/08/2012
Yes, I agree that AHT is the best of the non-Insomniac games. The only on that comes close is TEN on GBA, which has totally different gameplay from the rest of the games anyway.
#7 Posted: 16:06:29 26/08/2012
@Insomdog do you know when yours is coming? Mine's gonna take weks, apparently.
---
oh my god
Wojowu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1415
#8 Posted: 17:37:03 26/08/2012
AHT is pretty awesome game, compared to other PS2 Spyro games. If you can buy it for good price, don't wait any minute smilie
---
Any Osu fan here?
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#9 Posted: 20:35:38 26/08/2012
I love AHT So much, It's an Excellent game smilie
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#10 Posted: 20:56:58 26/08/2012
Love it myself, shouldn't be too hard for you if the classic-styled games are your only exposure thus far, since it has quite a lot in common with it.

Just...be wary that the characters may not be as you remember them since, like Twinsanity, the personalities got a major overhaul in this game. I personally like most of the changes, but it's all down to what your cup of tea is.
---
Eh.
#11 Posted: 12:58:05 28/08/2012 | Topic Creator
I will post my thoughts when I have a good shot at it.
#12 Posted: 19:38:38 29/08/2012
I don't mind Spyro's voice in this one that much, anything is better than Elijah's boring voice-over.
Jess Harnell is kind of similar to Carlos Alazquai from Spyro the Dragon.
---
#13 Posted: 20:36:41 29/08/2012
Circle-square interchange is very annoying. Also, I think Spyro breath was better in original trilogy, but here it is also good
---
Any Osu fan here?
#14 Posted: 20:49:09 29/08/2012
The flame breath button and the charge button being swapped over is annoying for the first few minutes, and then afterwards I seem to get used to it somehow.
---
#15 Posted: 10:10:16 30/08/2012
When I play AHT I'm confused for around first hour of playing. But when I return to playing original trilogy after playing this - confused once again
---
Any Osu fan here?
#16 Posted: 10:31:23 30/08/2012
Quote: Wojowu
When I play AHT I'm confused for around first hour of playing. But when I return to playing original trilogy after playing this - confused once again

Funny that, when I get back to playing the first three again, I already know that the flame and charge are swapped back over again, so I don't get confused. I don't understand why, but I'm happy with it.
---
#17 Posted: 19:50:28 30/08/2012
Urgh, nononono, can't do the controls!!
Mine still hasn't come, I'm dying to play it though smilie
---
oh my god
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#18 Posted: 18:10:10 31/08/2012
I got confused with the controls at the first time when I play this game xD
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
#19 Posted: 18:34:32 31/08/2012 | Topic Creator
I really dig this free roaming land, rather than portals in a hub world. It's huge and there's so many paths. Reminds me a bit of Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.

Wasn't so keen on playing Mole in the swamp. Still not found Sgt. Byrd yet...
#20 Posted: 18:51:26 31/08/2012
^Havent got there yet smilie

BTW it arrived this morning smilie
---
oh my god
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#21 Posted: 13:29:09 27/10/2012
It's awesome man! and Sgt. Byrd comes back! his gameplay is better in AHT then YOTD!
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#22 Posted: 13:30:58 27/10/2012
Lol..... i saw you already know........ but still!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me