darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro the Dragon > Knowing How Different This Game Is From The Others....
Page 1 of 1
Knowing How Different This Game Is From The Others.... [CLOSED]
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#1 Posted: 20:55:25 05/08/2012 | Topic Creator
So knowing how different this game is from the other 2 made by Insomniac, I am curious to know if anyone else wished Spyro 2 and Spyro 3 had the charm this game had. I know this game is much different that the other two games, for instance, in the other two games there are a wide amount of new characters, different voice for Spyro, brighter colors, new quests, a bit of a different personality for Spyro, and in Ripto's Rage and Year Of The Dragon, you never feel alone. Spyro 1 in my opinion was a very lonely game in the sence where you don't get to interact with many characters, but it lets you focus much more on the environments and music in this game than the other two, if that makes sence. Also, this game did feel darker in color, the next 2 games were filled with bright colors. Personally, I liked the colors in this game better, but that's my opinion. If any of you guys don't understand what I'm saying, please do tell, I'll try to explain it better. What I'm trying to say is, did you like the change from how this game evolved much more in the next 2 games by Insomniac, or did you prefer the way this game was made, and wish the other two were made more like this?
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#2 Posted: 12:54:30 06/08/2012
I prefer the environments and color of this, but the characters and gameplay of the others.
faunatic Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#3 Posted: 18:23:35 06/08/2012
maybe faun is an outlier here, but this game never seemed very different from the other two. they were just the logical progression of the story/technology/series/etc. faun doesn't feel lonely playing this one, either. somehow, the enemies, environments, balloonists and dragons seem to people the landscapes nicely. it's only lonely after all the dragons have been rescued, but even so, not nearly as lonely as the other two games since the fairies and chatty enemies are still around (whereas all the friends spyro made in the other two games vanish completely after certain points and one must restart the game to talk with them; faun has always found that eerie).
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#4 Posted: 18:55:59 06/08/2012
I like the simplicity of this game compared to others, I suppose the other two was extended, detailed versions of the first one, I'm not sure which I prefer really. I think I like both styles of gameplay just the same.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#5 Posted: 21:14:48 06/08/2012
Yeah, it's simple which is great and I can see exactly where your coming from, because I feel the exact same way about the game, it has some kind of.. charm that the other 2 don't have. Although I do prefer the other two by just a tad, Spyro 1 is a really unique and strangle alone game like you said. But I think the change of Spyro 2 and 3 was for the best.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#6 Posted: 22:59:42 06/08/2012
I'm with SuperSpyroFan. I love both styles of the games and I can't choose a favorite. I'm just happy they both were made. They're all amazing game styles IMO.
---
but i love it all smooth
Wojowu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1415
#7 Posted: 12:17:17 07/08/2012
I haven't ever thought about all these differences. Now, seeing this discussion makes me think about that. They really are different, but whole trilogy is awesome smilie
---
Any Osu fan here?
WolfTron Green Sparx Gems: 216
#8 Posted: 10:05:23 09/08/2012
This title has such strong atmosphere and lore, you feel truely immersed. You are free to explore without having constant discussion with townspeople and being given quests. Spyro's personality is evident in this game and each level emits personality. The entire game feels like pages ripped out of some wonderful fantasy book or collection of illustrations. Overall I find this to be the most memorable and offers myself the most fun. Bosses, however, were lacking. I feel that the wonders of exploration more than made up for this though. The focus you can put on the environments and music in this game compared to the others wins me over every time. Such variety and beauty is seldom combined in such a way. The original Spyro the Dragon is and will remain one of my absolute favourite video games of all time!
---
I saw something shiny
ilovespyro11 Gnorc Gems: 334
#9 Posted: 13:31:36 09/08/2012
I like the first one but I prefer the other two, because as you said, StD is lonely smilie But Spyro's facial expression is so cute/funny when he's trying to be cocky smilie
Lateef Green Sparx Gems: 227
#10 Posted: 09:19:47 10/08/2012
I'm going to have to agree - I think that the first Spyro game has the most "mystical" quality to it, in a sense. The next two games are great in their own regard, but they're games.
Not to sound pretentious, as they're wonderful in that right. But Spyro 1 really felt like 3D art that you could explore, and the gem-collecting mechanic gave that push to look in all the hidden corners and just really experience every part of the level instead of breezing through the necessary parts. The architectural design gave it a certain "lived-in" quality without any of the hustle and bustle of NPCs sending you on quests, and the desolate feeling just put more emphasis on that.
The disconnected nature of the level design in the next two games allowed for more interesting gimmicks, at the expense of a certain cohesiveness. It was a host for many different NPCs but, other than the rare incidents like the war, they didn't really interact with each other.

It's not particularly better than if it was more game-focused, so I hold no disregard to people who think the next two are better or even more fun - they're far more "playable" in that sense, and I'll reach to them first if I actually want to play a game rather than live in another world. But Spyro the Dragon is so unique as a game, and it has many qualities that are elusive in mainstream gaming.
DancingShower11 Gnorc Gems: 206
#11 Posted: 11:03:52 10/08/2012
^This.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#12 Posted: 17:33:44 10/08/2012
For me, Spyro the Dragon it's a bit lonely game because you don't find a great variety of characters to talk about other stuff like the other two games, but it helps you A LOT to stay focus in your main quest and you have to explore every single place to success and find every dragon, gems and thiefs, and while you are focus in your quest, you can see the wonderful environment, and feel the beautiful and mystical music of the world. In Spyro 2 you have to talk to EVERYONE to success, because you have to collect the orbs, making the game a bit easier because they give you the instructions about their problem or challenge. And Spyro 3 it's like the same thing as Spyro 2 but with the difference that you can obtain a lot of Eggs without talking to anyone (From the Homeworlds for example) and the challeges was a bit repetitive with the difference of the difficulty.

After all, the three games are different, and that is one of the reason why this is a Great and Awesome Trilogy, just my opinion.
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Lateef Green Sparx Gems: 227
#13 Posted: 20:29:32 10/08/2012
I completely agree. The other two games are fantastic for what they do - I just happen to be more fond of the first one because it offers an experience unique to platforming. Variety is important, and contrast even more so, so having the next two games as a counterbalance is a wonderful experience and really brings out each game's values.
WolfTron Green Sparx Gems: 216
#14 Posted: 10:07:48 15/08/2012
Lateef is on fire, you've got the games down pat! I agree with everything you've said!
---
I saw something shiny
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#15 Posted: 22:45:06 02/11/2012
Quote: Nibelilt
I prefer the environments and color of this, but the characters and gameplay of the others.
this is what i think
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7699
#16 Posted: 15:15:16 03/11/2012
Eh no, I prefer the other 2
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#17 Posted: 21:34:58 04/11/2012
This one has less abilities that the other ones, but I still love it.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
spyrobeta Green Sparx Gems: 237
#18 Posted: 23:43:47 04/11/2012
Its nostalgic to me.
---
Spyro Classic Fan forever. I highly despise Activision and Skylanders. Problem? Shove it.
crashb648 Blue Sparx Gems: 783
#19 Posted: 21:24:20 08/01/2013
The first Spyro has a big sense of mystery to it for me.

The rest of the games had a lot in terms of story and plot development, whereas this game you had the beginging cutscene, but then the rest is a mystery until you defeat Gnorc and then the ending cutscene.
---
Visit my website, The Tribute Pages, with online tributes for video games, Movies and TV Shows!
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#20 Posted: 04:19:48 09/01/2013
This one was much simpler than the next two..but I prefer the gameplay of the other ones. But this game is awesome still smilie
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Tynesider Yellow Sparx Gems: 1612
#21 Posted: 22:15:36 09/01/2013
I've always found Spyro 1 to be a bit creepier than the other two. I can't pinpoint exactly why, but I'd say it's a mix of the darker colours and the design of the baddies. Take Dark Passage - those dogs that grow huge when the lights are off still scare me, and I'd say Jacques is a highly atmospheric level too. Compare that to, say, Rhynocs, who are more comical villains than scary ones.
---
GANN VOORT ET KRAENEN!!!
#22 Posted: 07:50:09 10/01/2013
Quote: Tynesider
I've always found Spyro 1 to be a bit creepier than the other two. I can't pinpoint exactly why, but I'd say it's a mix of the darker colours and the design of the baddies. Take Dark Passage - those dogs that grow huge when the lights are off still scare me, and I'd say Jacques is a highly atmospheric level too. Compare that to, say, Rhynocs, who are more comical villains than scary ones.

What about the Riptocs? lol.
---
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#23 Posted: 08:50:07 14/01/2013
Riptocs officially didn't exist until Enter the Dragonfly. I...sincerely doubt that they're scary to anyone.

Anyway, this game does have a bit of an ethereal tone compared to its sequels, doesn't it. To me, it's possibly because it actually feel like you're exploring *their* world, unlike in the later games where portals will fling you through to worlds that seem like they could be in different times and dimensions compared to each other.
---
Eh.
#24 Posted: 07:08:35 15/01/2013
Quote: Burning Gnorc
Riptocs officially didn't exist until Enter the Dragonfly. I...sincerely doubt that they're scary to anyone.

Anyway, this game does have a bit of an ethereal tone compared to its sequels, doesn't it. To me, it's possibly because it actually feel like you're exploring *their* world, unlike in the later games where portals will fling you through to worlds that seem like they could be in different times and dimensions compared to each other.

I thought Riptocs was in Spyro 2?

I guess? I suppose all of the worlds within the main world in Spyro 1, all sort of relate to each other in some way.
---
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#25 Posted: 09:00:05 15/01/2013
Nope. Ripto used local native Avalarian populaces to cause trouble, none were Riptocs. The word wasn't used at all.
---
Eh.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#26 Posted: 13:23:25 16/01/2013
^Right!
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me