darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Potential Giants Release Date/ Giants apparently not wanted
Page 1 of 1
Potential Giants Release Date/ Giants apparently not wanted [CLOSED]
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#1 Posted: 23:54:11 16/07/2012 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

Saw this on MyNintendoNews. From the site

"Nielsen Media Research, an American firm that measures media audiences, including television, radio, and video games, has looked at which video games have the greatest consumer anticipation for 2012. Nielsen have looked at the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and the Wii. Consumer data was derived from online interviews of 4,823 male and female active gamers, according to the Nielsen website."

Apparently, more people want an awful Ice Age game and...a Fairytale Adventure. Interesting though, is the release date listed, which is October 1st. Now, according to that Giants sign that was posted a while back that the game would potentially be dropping on the 20th/21st...but..I wonder if they maybe bumped the date up?
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
noco99 Blue Sparx Gems: 787
#2 Posted: 00:56:22 17/07/2012
And 2 more god-awful Just Dance games...
---
How is Fun Size candy more fun than regular candy if it's less candy?
Write in my Gb or Pm me if you like Minecraft!
Aquatic Llama Green Sparx Gems: 436
#3 Posted: 01:33:30 17/07/2012
Skylanders Giants is going to do amazing. Once they start running TV ads and getting the word out more people will get pumped. The youtube trailers are only around 500,000-700,000 views. That's not a lot. Give it time, November is still a long ways away.
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#4 Posted: 01:42:13 17/07/2012
remember the first skylanders reaction?
---
THE END IS NEAR
#5 Posted: 01:45:12 17/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: nitendofan92

Yeah, but now that Skylanders is an established IP, you'd think there'd be a lot of anticipation for it.

While we have our group here that loves the games, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that the game could be poorly received. Or, the reviewers and whatnot may give a lot of critical acclaim for it, but the game could go bust.

It happens all the time with movies.
---
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#6 Posted: 01:46:56 17/07/2012
Quote: noco99
And 2 more god-awful Just Dance games...

This.
---
but i love it all smooth
spyrodadragon Green Sparx Gems: 490
#7 Posted: 02:20:17 17/07/2012
Quote: Aquatic Llama
Skylanders Giants is going to do amazing. Once they start running TV ads and getting the word out more people will get pumped. The youtube trailers are only around 500,000-700,000 views. That's not a lot. Give it time, November is still a long ways away.

same here but october not november
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
or the enderman will kill you
wayiswho Yellow Sparx Gems: 1259
#8 Posted: 02:59:28 17/07/2012
A lot of people actually don't even realize Giants is an entirely new game coming out. One woman I spoke to at Target the other day actually thought it was just another set of characters lol. Once more people find out they will be interested more.
D-Rex Blue Sparx Gems: 815
#9 Posted: 06:15:16 17/07/2012
So much third party shovel ware...

I thought they interviewed gamers, not people who barely even play video games.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#10 Posted: 08:49:49 17/07/2012
Quote: spyroflame0487
Quote: nitendofan92

Yeah, but now that Skylanders is an established IP, you'd think there'd be a lot of anticipation for it.

While we have our group here that loves the games, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that the game could be poorly received. Or, the reviewers and whatnot may give a lot of critical acclaim for it, but the game could go bust.

It happens all the time with movies.

This. I believe this game will be less succesful than the first, because people will become confused about the series two toys, and the new characters, too. You guys have to remember the general public STILL think the 3DS is just a DS with 3D and that the Wii U is just a controller for the Wii. There's no good reason the same won't happen with Skylanders toys.
kiz3000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1734
#11 Posted: 10:46:58 17/07/2012
Bit of background before I present my argument. I am a 20 (almost 21) year old male that plays and enjoys Skylanders.

Saw the statistics, which are taken from a very small population, and weren't too thrown by it.

Looking at the games that are presented you can conclude that the people tested were young adults and/or parents. The sports games tie into the young adult male market, which Skylanders is not aimed at. The rest of the top bunch are casual games that would be presented by causual gamers, typically women, as well as any children that they are looking to buy games for. The Last Story is the only blip but could also be placed in the young adult market where they want a good game to take up a lot of time and require some thinking skills.

Now Skylanders: Giants is poorly recieved by the population tested for a few reasons.

1) For the young adults, it is an expensive game that in all respects is pretty mediocre. A few want the Spyro of old to return and give them the same experience they had as a child.

2) For the parents, after being swept up in the Skylanders hype last Christmas and realising that it was a very very expensive Christmas present, far more than they expected, they would be looking elsewhere for a Christmas video game. That's where the likes of Disney Princess, Power of Two and even Ice Age come in and take most of Skylanders limelight

3) The target market is children who do not follow gaming websites and news and won't start to kick up a fuss until an actual advert is seen on TV, especially at Christmas time.

EDIT: 4) This survey is taken of Wii games. "Gamers" do not even own a Wii anymore making the population tested have even less credibility. Skylanders is a multiplatform game and cannot just be represented by Wii owners. It being Wii only would show why The Last Story made it on the list as any gamer who still has a Wii has kept it for the great Japanese games that sometimes get localized.

To sum up. Skylanders:Giants is poorly recieved in the test as the population tested is not representitive of the actual Skylanders fanbase which I would put as young children up to teens, who earn money through an allowance or job.

Tl;dr This survey is rubbish. Welcome to statistics, you can make it show want you want depending on what population you decide to test.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 10:55:09 17/07/2012 by kiz3000
#12 Posted: 17:30:44 17/07/2012
Quote: kiz3000
Bit of background before I present my argument. I am a 20 (almost 21) year old male that plays and enjoys Skylanders.

Saw the statistics, which are taken from a very small population, and weren't too thrown by it.

Looking at the games that are presented you can conclude that the people tested were young adults and/or parents. The sports games tie into the young adult male market, which Skylanders is not aimed at. The rest of the top bunch are casual games that would be presented by causual gamers, typically women, as well as any children that they are looking to buy games for. The Last Story is the only blip but could also be placed in the young adult market where they want a good game to take up a lot of time and require some thinking skills.

Now Skylanders: Giants is poorly recieved by the population tested for a few reasons.

1) For the young adults, it is an expensive game that in all respects is pretty mediocre. A few want the Spyro of old to return and give them the same experience they had as a child.

2) For the parents, after being swept up in the Skylanders hype last Christmas and realising that it was a very very expensive Christmas present, far more than they expected, they would be looking elsewhere for a Christmas video game. That's where the likes of Disney Princess, Power of Two and even Ice Age come in and take most of Skylanders limelight

3) The target market is children who do not follow gaming websites and news and won't start to kick up a fuss until an actual advert is seen on TV, especially at Christmas time.

EDIT: 4) This survey is taken of Wii games. "Gamers" do not even own a Wii anymore making the population tested have even less credibility. Skylanders is a multiplatform game and cannot just be represented by Wii owners. It being Wii only would show why The Last Story made it on the list as any gamer who still has a Wii has kept it for the great Japanese games that sometimes get localized.

To sum up. Skylanders:Giants is poorly recieved in the test as the population tested is not representitive of the actual Skylanders fanbase which I would put as young children up to teens, who earn money through an allowance or job.

Tl;dr This survey is rubbish. Welcome to statistics, you can make it show want you want depending on what population you decide to test.

^This
SteveW Blue Sparx Gems: 964
#13 Posted: 20:03:16 17/07/2012
Wow, you seriously do not realize that the vast majority of Skylanders games sold to date are on the Wii? The Wii version sold more than all other console and PC versions combined. Do some research!

Regardless of how you feel, there are plenty of Wii gamers around, Wii gamers care about gameplay, not just about what has the most flashy graphics. Fun does count!

and besides... the Wii U giants will rock!!! it's HD! it supports the new remote control!!! I wonder what people will complain about next? it's not as good because it's a white system?
#14 Posted: 20:27:24 17/07/2012
And the reason for that is that a vast majority of the target market, children, only have a Wii as a game console in their home. This is due to the fact that the Wii is cheaper than the competition, has more child friendly and known Nintendo IP's and it is seen as the fun, family console.

There is no denying that there are plenty of fun Wii games that are exclusive to the console but that is also true of the other two consoles which in addition have HD graphics, unlike the Wii. So yes fun > graphics but fun + graphics > just fun, in my opinion.

I am not trying to slate the Wii, just merely stating fact that Skylanders sold millions on the Wii as the Wii is the child friendly console. "Child friendly" is not an insult but just the result of a collection of facts.

Onto your next point. The Wii U, in my opinion, looks really really good. It can provide the same games that the Wii, and in some instances the Xbox 360 and PS3, had but with much better visuals and without the need for the terrible Wii mote. I class the Wii mote as terrible as the motion controls are already set in the games, no one to one action, and as a standard controller is too light and doesn't have enough buttons. The PS4 and Xbox 720 are going to be more like PC's in that there is more focus on media and other programs rather than actual gaming. Add in the fact that the added visuals that they'll provide will go largely unnoticed and that £400 "console" will be a joke. I want my console to focus on playing games, ie Wii U and 3ds, and not on media streaming, ie Ps3/4/vita and Xbox 360/720, as if I wanted to do that I'd turn my laptop on.
#15 Posted: 20:42:10 17/07/2012
My point was just that the Nintendo fans (children or not) were a good choice to poll on Giants since they bought the most copies of Skylanders and will most likely buy the most copies of Giants.

I disagree with you saying that the Wii remote is terrible though... after playing Call of Duty and other first person shooters on the Wii I don't think I could ever go back to an old controller because the point and shoot of the Wii remote make the experience so much better, especially with using the Wii Zapper. I want to point and shoot, like a real gun, not aim with a joystick control.
#16 Posted: 20:45:31 17/07/2012
^i actully agree with kiz
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
#17 Posted: 20:49:01 17/07/2012
Well... there are two catagories...

1. People that have played a Wii first person shooter with a gun/wii remote and prefer it.

2. People that have never played a Wii first person shooter with a gun/wii remote and prefer old joystick controls because they do not know any better.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:49:21 17/07/2012 by SteveW
#18 Posted: 21:43:53 17/07/2012
I must be in a secret group because I have tried the Wii shooter controls and while they are pretty good, using a joystick is easier and by extension, for me, more fun. I would rather play a game using a gamepad than actually pretending to be doing it. Don't get me wrong I enjoy motion controls, but not 24/7.

While I agree that Nintendo Wii owners bought the most copies of that is because most families own a Wii and bought the game for their children. Fact. The people polled on the website are not the majority of people playing the game on a Nintendo console due to the fact that the majority are children. What I am saying is that this poll shouldn't concern anyone as it is polling teens/adults on Skylanders which is an expensive game for kids, ie every parents nightmare. Any parent I not looking forward to spending hundreds of pounds/dollars on toys.
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#19 Posted: 05:39:35 18/07/2012
Quote:
and without the need for the terrible Wii mote

Untrue. So far every confirmed game is at least compatible with the WiiMote.
I do agree with you about this being a bad survey though, but I still don't think it will sell as well as SA, because of people confused about the Series two toys, and the people who bought the original just because it had Spyro, and people who weren't big fans of the first. I'm considering not getting the console version at all myself.
#20 Posted: 06:54:18 18/07/2012
without the need for the terrible Wii mote.

My point still stands. Wii U games at least have the chance to not be on the Wii mote but instead on the gamepad or the pro controller. Don't get me wrong I won't not get a game just because it has Wiimote controls, but any games that don't need it can now use a different controller. And anyway what about Batman, ZombiU and Lego Undercover Stories? I'm pretty sure they don't use Wii motion controls.

Anyway I'm now off topic. I'm pretty sure Giants will do pretty well this Christmas, especially considering they'll be a lot more Skylanders merchandise starting from next month. We'll have to wait and see.
TheAceOfBreath Green Sparx Gems: 356
#21 Posted: 16:22:43 18/07/2012
Everyone Sings is above it too...
---
"We're talking about Hetalia."
"No wonder I don't understand."
SkyWanderer Blue Sparx Gems: 597
#22 Posted: 21:02:41 18/07/2012
huh I thought release was on the 21st they moved it back...hmmm Toy's for bob is ahead of schedule

but anyway not complaining the new date is my birthday anyway

but the rating might also be for first day sales as SA did not sell well at all the first couple weeks.

I counfounded quite a few best buy employees with my basket full of toys on day 1.
---
http://omicronwanderer.deviantart.com
I am an Enviornmental modeler for projectFrixion : http://projectfrixion.deviantart.com
icecube7731 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1298
#23 Posted: 21:13:45 18/07/2012
Nonetheless I would be fine with Giants having a slow start, just cuz it would make things easier to find. I would rather get what I need when it first comes out then get stuck not finding anything and being screwed over for a couple months.
---
37skylanders bsmilie rsmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
28skylanders + minis(no smilie)
SSF: All minus dark STT: All standard
#24 Posted: 21:44:28 18/07/2012
^especially if i doesn't come in waves
---
joerox123 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1992
#25 Posted: 22:00:28 18/07/2012
Giggle. 69%! LOL!
---
the road is long, we carry on
try to have fun in the meantime☠
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#26 Posted: 22:23:04 18/07/2012
that is the 2012 wii game list, so if your gonna compare we need the ps3 and x360 lists. this is also the american list... we need american and europe lists to... i suspect the europe list will be different and not so brain dead.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:29:10 18/07/2012 by kappapopm
#27 Posted: 22:34:20 18/07/2012
Quote: kappapopm
that is the 2012 wii game list, so if your gonna compare we need the ps3 and x360 lists. this is also the american list... we need american and europe lists to... i suspect the europe list will be different and not so brain dead.

I don't see any arrogance in this statement.

Plus it's teetering on the edge of racist in a way.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:43:55 18/07/2012 by Aquatic Llama
#28 Posted: 23:30:07 18/07/2012
Quote: kappapopm

dude racism is something that you can be reported becuse
---
#29 Posted: 23:54:43 18/07/2012 | Topic Creator
In case anyone wanted to see it, the other 2 are on the site here although Skylanders doesn't even rank on them. Rather everyone wants cowadooty and halo
---
#30 Posted: 23:59:45 18/07/2012
Quote: spyroflame0487
In case anyone wanted to see it, the other 2 are on the site here although Skylanders doesn't even rank on them. Rather everyone wants cowadooty and halo

Yes but that's expected. Those are huge games with a humongous following. Skylanders is still growing and will grow for many years.
SpyraArtisan Blue Sparx Gems: 609
#31 Posted: 01:06:13 19/07/2012
so basically our society is shet.

wonderful
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me