darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > New Fans, Spyro Wikia, DarkSpyro, on Giants info
Page 1 of 1
New Fans, Spyro Wikia, DarkSpyro, on Giants info [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 18:13:56 12/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I noticed that most new users, especially Skylander fans who are new to the internet, keep using the Spyro Wiki (and DarkSpyro itself) as their main source of information for everything Skylanders: Giants, instead of other game websites or events Giants are featured on.

While the Spyro Wiki was created to provide information on the Spyro and Skylander franchises, it's not the only place for you guys to look for info, and they're not 100% reliable since anyone has the ability to edit the pages and put in false information at any time (which the admins are trying to clean up). New users on the Wikia can make up crazy, wild claims about the Skylanders and post nonsense on the articles that aren't true, some new users don't even know what they're doing on wikis and unintentionally ruin the articles.

For example, a new user recently put falsely Skylanders Spyro as a 'pug/dragon hybrid' for the fun of it, and another new user who occasionally reads information on the Wiki finds this false speculation to be true.

DarkSpyro get its information from other sites like the official Activision website, from E3 2012, or official magazines like Nintendo Power.

There are Gamespot.com, Activision.com, or even GameTrailers.com for new users to look up on updated information on Giants than just the Spyro Wiki and DarkSpyro.net, since both sites find information from official sites like GameSpot.com or GameInformer.com. The Spyro Wikia and DarkSpyro.net gets information on Skylanders from some other site other than just from the admins themselves.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:23:16 12/07/2012 by Aura24
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#2 Posted: 18:23:39 12/07/2012
^ this. DONT POST ANYTHING UNLESS YOU SEE IT FROM ANOTHER SOURCE. Like you might find something on the wiki, but find a good source like gameinfomer, nintendo Power, or just ask us here if we have heard anything.
onga999 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1152
#3 Posted: 18:47:38 12/07/2012
yeah i agree. you cant just take everything on a wiki for the truth.
---
just missing 7 skylanders.
spyrodadragon Green Sparx Gems: 490
#4 Posted: 18:48:57 12/07/2012
you tell em
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
or the enderman will kill you
#5 Posted: 21:37:04 12/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I suppose adding references to the articles might do the Wikia some good, they will show where they got the official information from Gameinformer, IGN, and other sites.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
palmo Green Sparx Gems: 380
#6 Posted: 21:50:22 12/07/2012
agreed.
---
Skylander contest here:
palmo's contest
Guy Blue Sparx Gems: 551
#7 Posted: 23:48:36 12/07/2012
I used to do that, but that was because I don't have access to all the good sources.Now I use Geek dad's site.
---
Green is not a creative color
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#8 Posted: 00:59:35 13/07/2012
Is this REALLY worth making a topic over? smilie Here, let me deface your post.

"the Spyro Wiki (and DarkSpyro itself) as their main source of information"
Yeah, why not? They're designed for it. Sure, they aren't a direct source, but you re-post a lot of information in videos, and I don't see complaints about that.

"anyone has the ability to edit the pages and put in false information at any time (which the admins are trying to clean up)"
As a former Bureaucrat of the DragonVale Wiki I actually understand your pain. But your Wiki is not nearly as popular. If you haven't alredy take to enforcing rules against pages without sources, banning IPs and block more popular pages even if you feel they should be open to contribution. Talk sections are there for a reason. Since your Wiki is less popular this should make troll edits far less common and eventually dead. I don't know what to do about added pages. I don't remember if there is one, but if there is, inforce settings to allow only Admins up to make pages.

"DarkSpyro get its information from other sites like the official Activision website, from E3 2012, or official magazines like Nintendo Power."
Just two paragraphs ago you were pointing out it was one of the sources people tend to use as their only, so this bit is pretty invalid.

"There are Gamespot.com, Activision.com, or even GameTrailers.com for new users to look up on updated information on Giants than just the Spyro Wiki and DarkSpyro.net, since both sites find information from official sites like GameSpot.com or GameInformer.com."
The simple fact and the master part of this topic is that there are people that ONLY use a couple of sites. Leave them be- it's not like they're changing the face of the fanbase. If they just use two sites so be it, if they use more then great. This topic is just an annoyance because there's really no point here, if someone reports or adds false information, remove it, and post on Community Messages it was fake... Simple. Then people will only need one source.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:51:23 13/07/2012 by Nibelilt
Reaganag Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#9 Posted: 15:57:15 13/07/2012
^ This. Very well thought out post Nibelit.
---
Awesome avatar by nintendofan92!
Have waves 1,2,3, and 4
imanirox890 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1424
#10 Posted: 17:07:19 13/07/2012
Quote: Nibelilt
Is this REALLY worth making a topic over? smilie Here, let me deface your post.

"the Spyro Wiki (and DarkSpyro itself) as their main source of information"
Yeah, why not? They're designed for it. Sure, they aren't a direct source, but you re-post a lot of information in videos, and I don't see complaints about that.

"anyone has the ability to edit the pages and put in false information at any time (which the admins are trying to clean up)"
As a former Bureaucrat of the DragonVale Wiki I actually understand your pain. But your Wiki is not nearly as popular. If you haven't alredy take to enforcing rules against pages without sources, banning IPs and block more popular pages even if you feel they should be open to contribution. Talk sections are there for a reason. Since your Wiki is less popular this should make troll edits far less common and eventually dead. I don't know what to do about added pages. I don't remember if there is one, but if there is, inforce settings to allow only Admins up to make pages.

"DarkSpyro get its information from other sites like the official Activision website, from E3 2012, or official magazines like Nintendo Power."
Just two paragraphs ago you were pointing out it was one of the sources people tend to use as their only, so this bit is pretty invalid.

"There are Gamespot.com, Activision.com, or even GameTrailers.com for new users to look up on updated information on Giants than just the Spyro Wiki and DarkSpyro.net, since both sites find information from official sites like GameSpot.com or GameInformer.com."
The simple fact and the master part of this topic is that there are people that ONLY use a couple of sites. Leave them be- it's not like they're changing the face of the fanbase. If they just use two sites so be it, if they use more then great. This topic is just an annoyance because there's really no point here, if someone reports or adds false information, remove it, and post on Community Messages it was fake... Simple. Then people will only need one source.

Aura is just trying to help the newbies. You are over analyzing this.
#11 Posted: 19:15:33 13/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Look at GameMaster trying to act high and mighty again. smilie

All I'm saying that new users who use the Spyro Wiki for information then post it on here without any other source will get turned down, since the Spyro Wiki didn't provide any official sources of the information until recently.

'Hey where did you get the name of the new Water Skylander from?'

'Spyro Wiki.'

'Um, what other place did you hear it besides the Spyro Wiki?'

'Just the Spyro Wiki'.

Anyone can edit and put false information on the Spyro Wiki, GameMaster. Heck, if someone put in Skylanders Spyro as a 'pug/dragon hybrid' on the article, would you believe it?
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 19:28:32 13/07/2012 by Aura24
wanderist Platinum Sparx Gems: 7081
#12 Posted: 20:01:18 13/07/2012
Quote: Aura24
Look at GameMaster trying to act high and mighty again. smilie

He/she was stating their opinion. GameMaster/username I can't remember didn't do anything wrong. And it is true that people shouldn't just use a wiki for information, but GM does have some good points. I mostly see your point on that, but I just don't see this as that big of a deal. Most of the info the newbies have posted from the wiki IS true, even if they were usually late.
#13 Posted: 20:04:47 13/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Sorry, the way Nibe said in his post, all know-it-all sounding, kinda threw me off.

Though some content on the wiki are based on fan-speculation that the admins have overlooked. Right now, they're adding references so fans can go to the sites they got the official information from.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:16:15 13/07/2012 by Aura24
#14 Posted: 22:43:18 13/07/2012
Sigh... Why is it you always hate my opinions, Aura? And when was I EVER trying to be "high and mighty"? I honestly think you despise me, to be quite frank. smilie

Quote:
All I'm saying that new users who use the Spyro Wiki for information then post it on here without any other source will get turned down, since the Spyro Wiki didn't provide any official sources of the information until recently.

And whose fault is it the Spyro Wiki didn't cite until recently? Not to attack them, but the Admins there. Don't blame newbies for looking at the Wiki as a source of information because you never left sources there previously... It's quite simple.

Quote:
Anyone can edit and put false information on the Spyro Wiki, GameMaster. Heck, if someone put in Skylanders Spyro as a 'pug/dragon hybrid' on the article, would you believe it?

One, GameMaster was not my name. And two, there are countermeasures to this. Admins are there for a reason. Page blocking tools are there for a reason. I'm not going to deny it's a busy occupation taking care of a wiki but really, these are quite standard changes to a Wiki- they are never 100% reliable sources. Ever. Nothing to be shocked and make a topic over.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:46:04 13/07/2012 by Nibelilt
#15 Posted: 22:52:40 13/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I was just pointing out that newbies don't have to get their sources all from the Spyro Wiki, Nibe.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:56:48 13/07/2012 by Aura24
#16 Posted: 22:56:09 13/07/2012
Quote: Aura24
I was just pointing out that newbies don't have to get their sources all from the Spyro Wiki, Nibe.

And I'm trying to point out there's no need to make a topic over it. It's not a big deal.
#17 Posted: 22:58:10 13/07/2012 | Topic Creator
It's not that I don't like your opinions or hate you, Nibe, it's just your post threw me off when you're explaining all this. I already made this topic, so...
---
#18 Posted: 22:59:21 13/07/2012
#19 Posted: 23:02:56 13/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Even if I did close this topic, it will still be on the forums.
---
Guy Blue Sparx Gems: 551
#20 Posted: 23:56:20 13/07/2012
You want to see new fans? Search " yogscast e3 skylanders giants" on youtube.
---
Green is not a creative color
#21 Posted: 02:25:56 14/07/2012
... You don't say? My issue is not that this post exists, but rather that you make such a big issue about the Spyro Wiki being the most used source. If that is so then just take precautions on it. Increase editing standards and get more admins to delete fake pages. If you are that worried go and post a blog about it on there. Just learn something from Blobbers...

"Simple Physics!"
#22 Posted: 02:39:06 14/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I'm not worried. I'm just pointing this out for new users.

Quote: Guy
You want to see new fans? Search " yogscast e3 skylanders giants" on youtube.

lol I saw that video. Yogcasts said the names wrong, though they never take things seriously.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:50:42 14/07/2012 by Aura24
#23 Posted: 03:03:29 14/07/2012
Quote:
I'm not worried. I'm just pointing this out for new users.

... Ahhh, I don't think I can attempt to get my point across anymore. smilie
Cyndark Blue Sparx Gems: 612
#24 Posted: 04:24:29 14/07/2012
Ain't you a admin on Spyro wiki Aura?
#25 Posted: 04:41:38 14/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Yes, and another admin recently joined on here too.
---
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#26 Posted: 05:13:23 14/07/2012
Trying to keep a Wiki as accurate as possible when we have newbies creating false info and even some claiming it as real info.........it takes up more time to create the real info then because we have to remove the false info also PLUS add the real info.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
Forlork Green Sparx Gems: 395
#27 Posted: 07:46:48 14/07/2012
Far be it from me to interject, but i will anyway

It seems to me that the problem here is not the users. But the creators of said Wiki.

From my experiences, various Wikis can actually be pretty darn reliable. If its come down to a case of instantly discrediting a fellow member for using the Wiki, then you shouldn't take the issue up with the users. Instead, with the admins.

If you truly believe the Wiki to be so useless, and have a problem with it (which you clearly do, as you are stating here) then you're barking up the wrong tree. Email the admins, don't cry on the forums. The users are simply putting the Wiki to work as it was intended, an website full of encyclopedic information on the concerned subject.
faunatic Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#28 Posted: 07:59:02 14/07/2012
faun isn't sure if this has been said already, but, to be quite fair, faun finds this site in specific to actually be the most reliable source of spyro and skylanders news and has found it to be thus for many years now. it tends to be that when one user posts news, a number of users will either back it up with sources, ask for sources, or debunk it. it is much easier to just skim the new topics in relevant boards here for news than it is to look anywhere else. one shouldn't believe everything posted here, at least when it isn't given a credible source, but this site on the whole does a good job of providing basic and concise information.

faun can't speak to the credibility of the spyro wiki because faun doesn't visit it at all, but, as with any wiki made by fans and which is not wikipedia, it should be read with skepticism.
Forlork Green Sparx Gems: 395
#29 Posted: 08:04:28 14/07/2012
I'm agreeing 100% with Faun, and Nibe/gamemaster
#30 Posted: 09:03:23 14/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Forlork
Far be it from me to interject, but i will anyway

It seems to me that the problem here is not the users. But the creators of said Wiki.

From my experiences, various Wikis can actually be pretty darn reliable. If its come down to a case of instantly discrediting a fellow member for using the Wiki, then you shouldn't take the issue up with the users. Instead, with the admins.

If you truly believe the Wiki to be so useless, and have a problem with it (which you clearly do, as you are stating here) then you're barking up the wrong tree. Email the admins, don't cry on the forums. The users are simply putting the Wiki to work as it was intended, an website full of encyclopedic information on the concerned subject.

Whoever said the Wiki was useless? Definitely not me, as I am one of the admins on the Spyro Wiki.

If you hadn't noticed, most of the users are newbies try to put their opinions on Skylanders as facts on the Wiki that we're cleaning up everyday on the wikia. Some of the newbies come from here, who try to make their wild claims made official. We're trying to keep the Wikia reliable, but the rising of some new users trying to pass off their beliefs as fact is making our job not easy nowadays.

Recently, we've come to conclusion to using references on our articles to link back to where we found official so we won't encounter this kind of problem again.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 09:16:22 14/07/2012 by Aura24
DSD Green Sparx Gems: 246
#31 Posted: 09:20:12 14/07/2012
Guys a wiki does not run its self, it has users that run it in 24/7. Now as admin there, I don't run the wiki by myself; I have users to help me and other admins that help keep the rules fair. Now that being said, I didn't make the Spyro Wiki, I worked hard to get to be an admin, and as such, I know what other users go through when they edit and I try to make it fair and easy to all. But I don't want random users joining and posting their thoughts on the pages others work hard to make, we have a fanon wiki for that where you can post characters and thoughts on pages. Now everyone is right about a wiki anyone can edit, but as admin, I try to keep it set so there is no false info. Keep in mind though some stuff of Skylanders is unreleased content and is subject to change as we get closer to the release date.
Now I really love hearing about thoughts on how you view the wiki but please keep in mind that we are all fans of Spyro and we shouldn't be fighting over who's site is better or who is wrong and who is right. So please guys let's not start a pointless fight about one something sucks or why it doesn't we all have our own opinions on the matter and as such there is no right or wrong only us fighting because we don't like others opinions. - DSD
---
Admin of the spyro wiki http://spyro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page all things Spyro.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:27:29 14/07/2012 by DSD
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#32 Posted: 13:49:42 14/07/2012
@DSD

Just ignore Aura24, she's just doing another one of her immature episodes.. there is nothing wrong with wiki it is one of the best thing that happen to the internet.
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#33 Posted: 14:30:00 14/07/2012
Quote: kappapopm
@DSD

Just ignore Aura24, she's just doing another one of her immature episodes.. there is nothing wrong with wiki it is one of the best thing that happen to the internet.

Are you kidding me.... *face palms self*
#34 Posted: 17:41:00 14/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: kappapopm
@DSD

Kappa, DSD and I are both admins of the same Wiki. He wasn't referring to me, he was referring to everyone else on this topic.

So you failed at the reverse psychology you tried to pull, once again showing your immaturity and obvious dislike towards me for the past several months.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 17:50:54 14/07/2012 by Aura24
Aquatic Llama Green Sparx Gems: 436
#35 Posted: 18:46:40 14/07/2012
Play nice kiddos. I reccemend closing this topic.
joerox123 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1992
#36 Posted: 18:55:22 14/07/2012
I think I deserve a pat on the back for reading this whole thing. And I think you are both wrong.
---
the road is long, we carry on
try to have fun in the meantimeā˜ 
#37 Posted: 18:59:08 14/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Aquatic Llama
Play nice kiddos. I reccemend closing this topic.

Yeah, I suppose. I've already made my point, and two of the admins of the wiki spoke out about this.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:02:58 14/07/2012 by Aura24
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me