Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Role Play > *nevermind about previous* The Everything Summer RP! Come join today!
Page 1 of 16 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15 16
*nevermind about previous* The Everything Summer RP! Come join today! [CLOSED]
TheFlyingSeal Diamond Sparx Gems: 8530
#1 Posted: 02:48:35 10/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Every RP needs a plot, so here it is!
PLOT:

Okay, let's cut to the chase. This is not an RP. Yeah, yeah. I know. "YOU TRICKED US". But you know what? Screw it. I'm sick and tired of Rpers who won't learn jack. Now, for users who don't know me: I'm TheFlyingSeal. An RPer from long ago. Some of you might remember me. Yeah, I'm back. And I'm pissed.

See, I decided to read the RPs that we have now and days, and I'm not the only one. I CRINGE at the sight of bad grammar, and groan at the way people talk without quotations. Sorry to say, but I also laugh at the characters people are making today. Now, for those who don't know anything about RPing and aren't afraid to admit it: let me educate you.

First off, let's talk about characters. Are you familiar with Mary Sues? Gasp. You're not? Let me tell you what they are. Mary Sues are characters that are best at everything. They can beat anyone in battle, smart talk their way to get what they want, and can dodge anything. Not to mention they are good looking and get all the boys. Now this doesn't just apply to girls: this applies to boys as well. They are called Gary Sues.

Let me give you an example of a typical Mary Sue:

Name: Kari
Personality: A tough ass girl who's not afraid to fight, but still has a kind heart to all that is good.
Appearance: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KmYK..._by_airesnf.png
Other: She also has a secret dark past.

Wow. Look at that character sheet. It's so RIDDEN with Mary Sue. This is an example of character sheets that I am seeing now and days. Here is an example of the same character, but touched up my way, and should be:

Name: Macy
Personality: This female is a bit secluded. No one really tries to ask why, because when she talks, she talks in some weird gibberish. It's not a legit language, it's one made up of her insanity. You can only make out a few words.
Appearance: A short girl with dirty blonde hair. Green eyes, and a hump. That's right, a hump. She always wears a robe for some reason, adding more questions about her ill mind. She is also flat chested because of her illness.
Other: No one knows this, but she carries a gun strapped onto her leg under the robe.

WOW. IS THAT THE SAME CHARACTER? Well, yes, but I made her much more interesting right? Still a female, and clearly not afraid to fight concerning of the gun strapped to her leg.

Now that we got characters and how they should be out of the way, let's talk about actually RPing. Step one:

USE GRAMMAR.

You're in school, and have been given the knowledge to act smart in your writing. Now use it.

Step Two:

DON'T TALK LIKE IT'S A MOVIE SCRIPT.

You know what I mean. Let's use Mary Sue Kari again-

Kari: *takes out sword* don't patrenize me.

Yeah. Pretty awful, isn't it? I also added a bit of Step One in there to show you how stupid it can be.

STEP THREEEEEE:

Don't. Use. OOC.

It's good to use to just to make certain things clear or state your opinion, but if it's going to be a two page long conversation PLEASE take it to the PMs. I can't stress this enough.

STEP FOUR:

Act like your post is part of a book.

Now you actually don't have to do this but it will make your posts better, develop your character a bit more, and make the RP interesting. Trust me when I say this, alright?

Now, for any of you who agree with me: Please post below on what you think should be added to this advice topic. I might have forgotten a few things but the stuff I expressed above is just what was in my mind at the time and really annoyed me.

So, I'm out! And another thing-

Don't take this topic the wrong way guys. This was to help you; not point you out and say "YOU SUCK AT ROLE PLAYING", because I sucked at one point too. Everyone did. Then someone had the balls to say "You're role playing a bit wrong. Let me show you,"

Then I just grew over time. So please. Don't take this as if I'm yelling that you suck. Yes, I'm yelling, but sometimes you need to learn by a bit of yelling.
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:57:18 10/07/2012 by TheFlyingSeal
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#2 Posted: 03:13:42 10/07/2012
I agree so much with this topic.
#3 Posted: 03:15:51 10/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Thank you guys for agreeing with me. smilie
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
Ezio Hunter Gems: 7178
#4 Posted: 03:40:29 10/07/2012
Thank you. THANK YOU SO ****ING MUCH.
---
"The cowboy has always been a dying breed
But he takes his dying slowly, perched upon his steed."
Darkrai Doll Platinum Sparx Gems: 5026
#5 Posted: 03:50:43 10/07/2012
I don't find Kari that much of a Mary Sue, just a bad character sheet and a few annoying sue stuff like the dark past.
Except for the picture. The picture's really sue-ish.

Eitherway thanks so much for the topic. I've seen an RP here once with Mary Sues, movie scripts, AND bad grammar. Groan.

I don't really roleplay here anymore (I bet I still suck) but hopefully others who do will see this.
#6 Posted: 03:52:26 10/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Darkrai Doll
I don't find Kari that much of a Mary Sue, just a bad character sheet and a few annoying sue stuff like the dark past.
Except for the picture. The picture's really sue-ish.

Eitherway thanks so much for the topic. I've seen an RP here once with Mary Sues, movie scripts, AND bad grammar. Groan.

I don't really roleplay here anymore (I bet I still suck) but hopefully others who do will see this.

Well, in character sheet perspective, that's a Mary Sue. At least, the ones I see here on DS. But if you've seen worse I'd be glad to add attributes to the character sheet from that smilie
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#7 Posted: 03:54:39 10/07/2012
Keep on bumpin'.
#8 Posted: 03:55:48 10/07/2012
Of course it does. Dark just doesn't see it.

Half of the kids roleplaying have not sense of originality. I cannot stress this enough. Half of the roleplays are characters trying to get a certain girl to like them, or it's all damn drama. Samius' Fallout like roleplay had the best structure of any roleplay. If the n00bs spent as much time developing a good character, or a decent post, instead of trying to get a girlfriend.
---
#9 Posted: 03:58:08 10/07/2012 | Topic Creator
That's what I forgot:

Most RPers now and days are just...romantic Novelists.
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
#10 Posted: 04:01:23 10/07/2012
And the text talk ****. OH DON'T GET ME STARTED
---
Darkrai Doll Platinum Sparx Gems: 5026
#11 Posted: 04:02:47 10/07/2012
Quote: TheFlyingSeal
That's what I forgot:

Most RPers now and days are just...romantic Novelists.

Please, I once had an entire RP filled with insane romantic drama.
If I remember correctly, it went something like this:

"I LOVE YOU"
"I LOVE YOU TOO LET'S MAKE OUT"
"WAIT NO YOU DID SOMETHING BAD I HATE YOU"
"I HATE YOU I'LL NEVER TALK TO YOU AGAIN"
"HOW DARE YOOOUUU BTW I STILL LOVE YOU"
"I SECRETLY STILL LOVE YOU TOO BUT I'M AFRAID TO SHOW IT"
"I HATE YOU LET'S MAKE OUT"
#12 Posted: 04:04:48 10/07/2012
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=55041

^This roleplay is the most developed one, behind an old one from a long time ago made be Crystal Dragon.
---
#13 Posted: 04:10:29 10/07/2012
EXACTLY. And all cap lock posts, and using smilies to show a character's facial expression.
---
#14 Posted: 04:23:54 10/07/2012
We should just make our own private roleplay, and ****. And mispelling. ARGH.
---
#15 Posted: 04:31:29 10/07/2012
Exactly. They act like vampires near holy water. (fail analogy is a fail)

It would be easy to make a seperate topic, since we are trying to sticky this.

EDIT: And here's one of my own roleplays, that several people who cannot rolplay to a certain stanard, ruined. //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=49891
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:33:32 10/07/2012 by Ezio
#16 Posted: 04:37:46 10/07/2012
Yes. Do it, ask him.

It would.
---
#17 Posted: 04:45:55 10/07/2012
What about my edit. The ****ty characters, other than the few(three) good ones?
---
#18 Posted: 04:51:20 10/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I'm all on board on a private RP for us. Infact, I think I mentioned it a few times in the call tonight.
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
#19 Posted: 04:53:31 10/07/2012
Ah, I understand.

My RPing is alright, if I do say so myself.
---
#20 Posted: 05:14:24 10/07/2012
Thanks, Skylar. I spent a good amount of time making it, and bam, ****ty ass characters. Ruined. It makes me wanna give up on roleplaying here.
---
#21 Posted: 05:15:45 10/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I know that feel.

I had an RP once, and it was good. No idea where it was going but it was running well. Although there were these two assholes that ruined the whole thing. Why?

THEY NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED ANYTHING. At first you'd think they will, but then they talk to someone. HOLY HELL. At first it was fine, and then they wouldn't stop so I had to break it up to keep the story going. Guess what? They kept talking. So I decided to make it rain. The users didn't acknowledge it was raining. Then I made a noise that echoed through the land.

Nope.

Soon it became a game between me and other users to see who got who's attention. Eventually the RP became so boring because we couldn't continue the RP, that we shut it down. Then the dude who started the whole damn thing confronted me and told me I was being childish about it.
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
#22 Posted: 05:25:44 10/07/2012
I know that feel bro.

Back when I used to have pony_girl24, way before y'all's time. (has to sound like an old geezer) There was actually DECENT, if not GOOD roleplays. *misses Crystal Dragon and darkfurydragon*
---
#23 Posted: 05:50:13 10/07/2012
^ikr? :'D
---
#24 Posted: 05:56:52 10/07/2012
It's okay Bearo.

I believe my avatar describes everybody's reactions on this roleplay forum
---
lemmingluv Ripto Gems: 907
#25 Posted: 06:17:21 10/07/2012
Despite the fact that I'm sometimes a tad guilty for some of these things, I love this topic so much....

THANK YOU FOR SHEDDING LIGHT ON THIS BARREN WASTELAND OF TOXICITY.
#26 Posted: 06:20:11 10/07/2012
We must spread the word.
---
#27 Posted: 06:47:01 10/07/2012
MY AVATAR DESCRIBES OUR REACTIONS. :S And it's milkshakes.
---
NightBlade Platinum Sparx Gems: 6019
#28 Posted: 16:27:30 10/07/2012
This topic. IS EVERYTHING I try to explain to people.
The only things I disagree on are the ooc part, and the dark past.

here are my reasons.
So long as the story is progressing and characters are acting, i find it perfectly fine for people to converse about ideas and strategies, amongst some small talk in ooc. However, I do not approve of spam. For example, if a large dragonic litch flies down from the ceiling, and to keep it deep with out it kill you, you would have to destroy it's phlacatory (spelling). Then, I believe the party members should devise a plan, in sense, other wise they'd be screwed over.

And for the dark past, it really depends on the situation. For example, when I was really little my grandmother died in the hospital. Because of this, even though I know I shouldn't, when ever another family member, or my self, is in the hospital, I'm scared that we're all going to die.
This keeps me from wanting to go to hospitals. >.<
I know some dark pasts just build up yet another twilight story, but some can severely hinder characters.

Also, i hate when you ask for a history and they only give you ONE SENTENCE of a rather vague past. example: "He has a dark past, he lived on his own." >.< That's not a history, thats the first idea for one.
History is rather important for me because of some of the monsters i like to have later down the line, plot twists, and even occasions where you pass through one person's home town.
If I wanted to a mind flier attack the person with the dark past, and they failed their will roll (DnD), they would be utterly screwed over. How ever, without a decent past, the attacks are rather dull and easy to interpret as the players ticket to being a godmod/mary/garysue. Which makes my mind attacking creatures almost completely worthless...

I'll get off my soap box now. But the first post pretty much says everything, and I've said what I believe could be somewhat a flexable thing... minus history. WE NEED A DANG PAST.
---
The Eater of Worlds has awoken!
"Muttering curse words under her breasts..." - Jamie
Galaxies and Stardust. More Art Than Stars.
Page 1 of 16 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15 16

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me