darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Will you guys buy the new Skylanders for Giants?
Page 1 of 1
Will you guys buy the new Skylanders for Giants? [CLOSED]
Skylander111 Red Sparx Gems: 62
#1 Posted: 00:53:39 01/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Well besides Gamemaster (Yes GM we know you will have them first we know we know)

According to the article you will need the new ones for the level caps.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2...landers-giants/

Since Skylanders Giants was announced at the New York Toy Fair there has been a steady stream of information. As I started to explain what to expect to my kids over breakfast the other day it became apparent just how complicated it was getting.

They had been planning how to spend their pocket money and wanted to make the best decisions over which figures to buy now and which they should wait for new versions of in Skylanders Giants. Their “research” has involved regular visits to the Skylanders Giants Amazon pages in various countries to search for details.

Drawing on news from the launch event and press releases, we ended up drawing a few Venn diagrams and constructing the following tables to help make sense of what was coming up in the new game.

It turned into quite a game for the kids, who seemed to enjoy trying to piece all the facts together. My suggestion of waiting until nearer the time was to no avail as they eagerly discussed how it might all work. Following up on their recent maths homework, they managed to boil things down to three simple rules…

First rule of thumb: All the figures from the first game are playable in Skylanders Giants.

Second rule of thumb: If the character existed in the first game, a new figure for that character will work in both games.

The following new Skylanders figures for existing characters will work in both games:

32 Reposed Re-released Skylanders: These figures not only offer a reposed version of the original Skylanders, but they can also take advantage of the higher leveling up in the new game.
4 Reposed Re-released Light Force Skylanders: These new figures light up when they are on the portal and are powered by the peripheral with no need for batteries in the toy itself.

Third rule of thumb: New characters that didn’t exist in the first game will only work in Giants.

That means that the following new Skylanders likely to be released in Giants will only work in the new game:

8 Giant Skylanders: These giant figures are about twice the size of the original Skylanders and light up when they are on the portal and are powered by the peripheral with no need for batteries in the toy itself. They offer different stats and abilities in the game. Throwing in game objects, bashing through walls and completing feats of strength also distinguish them from normal Skylanders.
4 New Light Force Skylanders: These new figures light up when they are on the portal and are powered by the peripheral with no need for batteries in the toy itself. These four are new characters for Skylanders Giants.
8 New Skylanders: These new figures add one new character to each of the eight elements for the new Skylanders Giants game.

these rules translate into the following table for new Skylanders characters:

Figure Type Base Color How Many Use in Spyro’s Adventure? Use in Giants?
Original Skylanders Green 32 Yes Yes
Legendary Skylanders Green 4 Yes Yes
Silver Skylanders Green 3 Yes Yes
Gold Skylanders Green 2 Yes Yes
Skylanders Adventure Packs Green 4 Yes No
Giant Skylanders Orange 8 No Yes
New Light Force Skylanders Orange 4 No Yes
New Skylanders Orange 8 No Yes
Reposed Skylanders Orange 32 Yes Yes
Reposed Light Force Skylanders Orange 4 Yes Yes

This leaves one outstanding question. Can the original figures take advantage of the higher level cap in Skylanders Giants. It seems likely that although you can use your existing characters in the new game it will only be the re-released figures that will be able to benefit from the higher levels.

There may be a technical reason why the original figures aren’t able to level up further. Certainly, if this is the case it would also make sense of the re-release of all the original figures for Skylanders Giants — rather than just the new ones.

I have asked Activision about this and it seems they are not ready to confirm how this raised level cap will work in detail. I suspect that some of these technical issues may still be being nailed down as there is still a good six months or so before the game is likely to release.

The kids always like drawing pictures to understand things, so we put together this Skylanders infographic about the different figures and where they work. It started off very simple but as you can see they have enjoyed adding to it.
---
[smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmilie]
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#2 Posted: 00:59:51 01/04/2012
My face when copy pasting most of the site. We have a topic on Giants for this (And actually, this is where this topic should be moved to), and as was said a few times..there's been no indication from anywhere about this supposed level cap for new characters. In fact, I hadn't even heard of it until this article was posted a few days ago. That being said, the other article that mentions the same states clearly at the top of the page that Activision has yet to confirm or deny it. I have no doubt that GeekDad is a good site for infos, but I wouldn't call it the final say in the matter until we have an official press release with that information in it.

And yeah, I will no doubt buy the new Skylanders and giants, although I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet for the new reposed figures.

EDIT: And to further iterate the point that right now this is guess-work, check the comments section.

Quote: Andy Robertson
The leveling up issue is an interesting one, and conjecture at this point.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:01:50 01/04/2012 by spyroflame0487
D-Rex Blue Sparx Gems: 815
#3 Posted: 01:14:29 01/04/2012
Oh goodness, now that article built from rumors and hearsay is spreading and people are going to start believing that's fact.

That article is nothing but rumored numbers presented as fact, it has NOT been confirmed by Activision themselves.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
palmo Green Sparx Gems: 380
#4 Posted: 01:55:13 06/04/2012
I'd probably buy the game, the giants, the new figures and the light force figures but I doubt I'd buy the remodled and if I do I wont buy all of them.
---
Skylander contest here:
palmo's contest
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#5 Posted: 02:05:47 06/04/2012
I'm just going to by the starter pack for the wii(since i got the wii portal). And since i have characters of each element from Spyro's Adventure i won't buy anymore.
mm92198 Red Sparx Gems: 59
#6 Posted: 12:22:20 08/04/2012
I will buy the starter pack without the portal because i have the first game. I will buy the new characters that appeal to me but now remodled unless i missed them.
---
My Skylanders: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
JeremyTheDragon Green Sparx Gems: 317
#7 Posted: 12:49:32 08/04/2012
Well, I'm only going for the dragons if they do have them. But however, since the game will be out at the time this fall, I'll go for the game only.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#8 Posted: 13:08:43 08/04/2012
nope i am finished no more milking of my wallet activision!
eruptor1999 Green Sparx Gems: 219
#9 Posted: 15:40:46 30/07/2012
i going to buy the two new fire characters
#10 Posted: 15:43:55 30/07/2012
Quote: kappapopm
nope i am finished no more milking of my wallet activision!

i was 100% not getting it before but now i am not... im on the fence at the moment... we will just have to see if there will be another spyro figurine released.
onga999 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1152
#11 Posted: 15:48:11 30/07/2012
i will be getting everything. 8 giants, 8 new skylanders, 8 lightcore, 24 reposed, and any legendaries that come out.
---
just missing 7 skylanders.
#12 Posted: 15:53:29 30/07/2012
Quote: onga999
i will be getting everything. 8 giants, 8 new skylanders, 8 lightcore, 24 reposed, and any legendaries that come out.

you going for the 40 you crazy!... your parents much be rich........
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#13 Posted: 16:32:14 30/07/2012
Quote: kappapopm
Quote: onga999

you going for the 40 you crazy!... your parents much be rich........

Keep in mind the entire line won't be launched at once so it's not like you need to be rich to get everything that is available at launch. The remaining figures will be released maybe every 1-2 months apart and only 2-3 figs. at a time....plus anyone can take their time and slowly catch'em all.
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8325
#14 Posted: 18:15:02 30/07/2012
Not buying any of it. smilie
eruptor1999 Green Sparx Gems: 219
#15 Posted: 19:03:03 30/07/2012
i will buy hot head and hot dog
wayiswho Yellow Sparx Gems: 1259
#16 Posted: 19:16:49 30/07/2012
I'm going to obv buy the game lol but also I'm getting all the giants and the new characters. If I get any reposes at all they will only be the ones I really like but definitely will not be buying them all.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me