Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Skylander For Beginers (Help)
Page 1 of 1
Skylander For Beginers (Help) [CLOSED]
Gameking Red Sparx Gems: 26
#1 Posted: 12:25:10 07/03/2012 | Topic Creator
Ok I’m thinking of buying this for my son but very confused.

1) Are all the packs compatible with all the formats? ie can I get any pirate set on 360 ps3 3ds wii etc?
2) I see a lot of pre-owned ships figures - are these usable? So could my son borrow a set from a friend to unlock part of a game?
3) What exactly do the figures and prop (ships, darklight crypts etc) do?

Sorry to be so clueless - all help gratefully received.
Gemma Green Sparx Gems: 123
#2 Posted: 13:49:49 07/03/2012
I can give you a few answers, though there are a few things I'm unsure of too!

1) Are all the packs compatible with all the formats? ie can I get any pirate set on 360 ps3 3ds wii etc?

Yes. First, you buy the starter pack for one particular console. Everything exclusive to that format will come with the starter pack. After you have that, you can get whichever packs you want and they work with all formats.

2) I see a lot of pre-owned ships figures - are these usable? So could my son borrow a set from a friend to unlock part of a game?

They are usable, but each figure has an "owner". When you use a figure for its first time, the ownership will be associated with the exact saved game you first play it on. Basically, the saved game that the ownership is associated with will be the one that has extra features unlocked (for example, each character has their own training level and these levels are unlocked once you've taken ownership of that character on your own game). If you were to buy something pre-owned, you can change the ownership to yourself, as it no longer belongs to the original owner.

Unfortunately I don't know whether or not they will work if you are only borrowing them, but my guess is that, if they belong to someone else, probably not. What your son can do though, is bring his skylander figures to a friend's house and they can play the game in 2-player mode. They'll be able to use anything his friend has unlocked, and your son will still be able to play as his own characters.

3) What exactly do the figures and prop (ships, darklight crypts etc) do?

I admit I don't own any of the adventure packs yet, but from what I understand, each adventure pack comes with four figures: one character, two magic items and one location. The character is a normal skylander you can play as. The location unlocks a new level in the game. The magic items give you extra abilities, and apparently are unlocked the same way as the skylanders (they're in use while on the portal, and once taken off they are deactivated in the game).

Sorry I've not really been able to give straightforward answers on everything but I hope this has helped you!
---
My Skylanders: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Spyro's Universe Name: Crystal Waterfalls
wanderist Platinum Sparx Gems: 7090
#3 Posted: 23:18:28 07/03/2012
1. Yep. You will have to get the game itself for your specific console like any game, but everything after that is compatible with all systems.

2. I believe so. I've never tried it.

3. They come with a character, two magic items, and a secret level like Gemma said. You put the magic items or level on the portal and they do something. For example, the treasure chest item that comes with Pirate Seas makes treasure chests appear. Put the level's toy like the pirate ship for pirate seas and you are able to access a new level.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#4 Posted: 00:09:04 08/03/2012
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. They unlock extra levels
Gameking Red Sparx Gems: 26
#5 Posted: 15:47:45 12/03/2012 | Topic Creator
Thank you so much guys...

another question.. say I managed just to gat the ship from the pirates set... would that have any use with out the rest of the items in the set? And why do some seller advertise things like the darklight set as: 'for PS3 only'?

You are all stars smilie
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#6 Posted: 17:09:01 12/03/2012
Quote: Gameking
Thank you so much guys...

another question.. say I managed just to gat the ship from the pirates set... would that have any use with out the rest of the items in the set? And why do some seller advertise things like the darklight set as: 'for PS3 only'?

You are all stars smilie

Yeah, you can use the location items (Pirate Ship, Dark Light Crypt ETC) in levels and they'll kill all enemies on screen.

People who label them "for (x console) only" are just mistaken
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me