Page 1 of 1
Skylanders is G3 Spyro [CLOSED]
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#1 Posted: 20:55:26 07/02/2012 | Topic Creator
When I first herd of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure a year ago, I exploded with anger but I eventually excepted this and now the proud own of Skylanders.

Skylanders: Giants is announced, NOT a PROPER Spyro game (like the PSone originals) like so many people told me... but I'm more like "meh" with half-closed eyelids.

Skylanders is here to stay for a while and it'll probably be a decade until we see Spyro with his own game again. This the first time were Spyro is NOT a character that will be marketed.

Here's the timeline

G1 (Spyro, 1998-2005): Spyro the Dragon, Ripto's Rage, Year of the Dragon, Season of Ice, Season of Flame, Enter the Dragonfly, Adventure, A Hero's Tail, Shadow Legacy.
G2 (The Legend of Spyro, 2006-2008): A New Beginning, The Eternal Night, Dawn of the Dragon.
G3 (Skylanders, 2011-onwards): Spyro's Adventure, Giants...
G4(?)

The only thing that will annoy is having to buy a new disc and some toys with the original ones being optional.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Forgotten World Platinum Sparx Gems: 5164
#2 Posted: 20:57:55 07/02/2012
Well generation 4 is a mystery, if it ever happens.
---
Life's a struggle, but when you die, it's how you handle life.
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3263
#3 Posted: 21:32:07 07/02/2012
This is what I think should happen

G1 (1998-2005)

G2 (2006-2008)

G3 (2011-2012)

G1.2 (2013 onwards)
---
"I have my own system, don't get involved"
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#4 Posted: 23:51:28 07/02/2012
In my opinion:

G1 - Spyro the Dragon/Spyro 2/Year of the Dragon - The groundwork set by Insomniac, the original canon.
G1.5 - Enter the Dragonfly/Hero's Tail/the handheld games - No longer made by Insomniac, the "awkward phase" of trying to find out what to do with the franchise. Builds onto the original canon.
G2 - Legend of Spyro series - A more established reboot, changing the lighthearted fantasy collect-a-thon into a "serious" story-driven trilogy. Entirely different universe.
G3 - Skylanders - An entirely new spinoff. Its world and tone are very reminiscent of the pre-LoS games, but it takes place in another universe. Character bios reference past games, but there isn't anything beyond that to back up a link between them.

I think G1/1.5 are different enough to be divided, but similar enough to not be separated by a full point.
Skylanders could also not be labeled as a true Spyro generation, but the general consensus by fans seems to lean towards "it's a Spyro game."
---
#all Spyros are valid
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me