Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Skylanders board game idea. [CLOSED]
skyp1e Green Sparx Gems: 306
#1 Posted: 04:57:56 06/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Since the figures themselves have information stored inside them, wouldn't it be kind of neat to make a board game that can read that information and effect the play of the game based on it?

For example as you move Spyro from one zone on the board to another, his abilities will be reflected in that part of the game and provide him with advantages and disadvantages for actions in that region.

The actual mechanics of how the game would be played I of course haven't worked out. But this "gimick" (for lack of a better term) might make a very interesting new use for the figures away from consoles and computers.
---
Mine Portalmaster #788111 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Son's smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Daughter's smilie smilie smiliex2 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#2 Posted: 05:06:19 06/02/2012
That idea is already been mentioned, Skype.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2...ylanders-chess/
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:33:38 06/02/2012 by Aura24
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#3 Posted: 05:14:59 06/02/2012
Umm... Actually no, it has not been invented yet.

I tactfully recommend reading the OP's post rather than just the title and then commenting. The OP discusses the concept of a board game with some electronic "nous" to read the figs and act differently (to some degree) based on this data.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#4 Posted: 05:37:55 06/02/2012
Sorry I meant 'mentioned'.

If Toys for Bob ponders on the idea, then who knows?
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#5 Posted: 05:58:04 06/02/2012 | Topic Creator
It would also be a great way to use money in the board game that you can't use anymore on the console (because you're fully leveled up). Perhaps spend internet money as well.

And if you win the game it could be reflected on your character when you upload on the internet too. The possibilities are literally endless.
---
#6 Posted: 06:01:22 06/02/2012
Quote: Aura24
Sorry I meant 'mentioned'.

If Toys for Bob ponders on the idea, then who knows?

Meh! I still don't think that the referenced article relates to the OP's concept. The described Sky Chess is a board game, yes, but not related to the premise of chip reading and alternate action based on read data.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#7 Posted: 06:03:08 06/02/2012
...Meh?

But it is similar.
---
#8 Posted: 06:12:25 06/02/2012
Quote: Aura24
...Meh?

But it is similar.

Yeah, meh! (Say the word out aloud for added effect).

Similar like my Kia Rio is similar to a school bus because they both have four wheels or similar like I am similar to a bonobo as we share 98.something% common DNA?
---
Soylent Green is People!
#9 Posted: 06:13:27 06/02/2012 | Topic Creator
My game idea would be electronic in nature and not simply use the figures as static pawns.

For example, let's say you are doing combat in this board game. If your character is level 10 instead of level 5 the randomizer mechanic (as opposed to using dice) would take this into account and perform something on the order of adding + 5 to his electronic dice rolls. Also enemies that you might face in the board game would be able to respond better or worse depending on the path you chose on your figure. So some enemies that you might come across would take more damage than others depending on your champions chosen specializations.

It wouldn't be cheap, but it sure would be fun.
---
#10 Posted: 06:19:16 06/02/2012
Quote: skyp1e
My game idea would be electronic in nature and not simply use the figures as static pawns.

For example, let's say you are doing combat in this board game. If your character is level 10 instead of level 5 the randomizer mechanic (as opposed to using dice) would take this into account and perform something on the order of adding + 5 to his electronic dice rolls. Also enemies that you might face in the board game would be able to respond better or worse depending on the path you chose on your figure. So some enemies that you might come across would take more damage than others depending on your champions chosen specializations.

It wouldn't be cheap, but it sure would be fun.

Would I buy it? Darn straight, I would!

However, would others buy (into) it? I'm a frayed knot (this is a punchline, for the unititated). The board game cost would be too prohibitive for most and the concept reproduced just was readily in a video game with "slick" graphics and whiz-bang sound, etc.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#11 Posted: 07:43:38 06/02/2012
Frayed knot? Reallly? You shure have pun it now.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
#12 Posted: 13:19:16 06/02/2012
We don't serve mushrooms in this bar, they are too boring...

Why not, I am a fun guy!
---
Soylent Green is People!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me