Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
"Exclusive" characters [CLOSED]
7Habits Blue Sparx Gems: 989
#1 Posted: 19:49:40 27/01/2012 | Topic Creator
Why are companies allowed to lie on packaging? Now that Drill Sergeant and Whirlwind are not really exclusive anymore, does that mean that the $50 I spent on the 3DS starter pack just to get Dark Spyro "Exclusive" (and Ignitor before a single or triple comes out) will eventually feel like lots of money wasted?
---
Own: (smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)smilie smilie smilie smilie smiliesmilie smilie smilie smilie smilie(smiliesmiliesmilie)smilie smilie smilie
TheSpyrofan12 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#2 Posted: 19:56:17 27/01/2012
no, you haven't wasted your money.

Dark Spyro has been confirmed to always be an exclusive to the 3ds starter pack
---
Bring the Fanta
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#3 Posted: 19:57:32 27/01/2012
Quote: TheSpyrofan12
no, you haven't wasted your money.

Dark Spyro has been confirmed to always be an exclusive to the 3ds starter pack

yup, what they said.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#4 Posted: 19:58:16 27/01/2012
The packaging is made by Activision. If Wal-Mart/Target still have Drill Sergeant and Whirlwind in their stock with the exclusive message on it, it's not their fault.
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#5 Posted: 20:01:42 27/01/2012
No. Dark Spyro will always be a 3DS exclusive. To release him any other way really would be false advertising. Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant are a different story; they were timed exclusives, and I've even seen a Walmart ad for him explicitly saying "Through 12.31.11." I assume Target stated the same somewhere, though I haven't seen it in person to substantiate that claim. The Legendary Pack, on the other hand, is and always will be a Toys 'R' Us exclusive, as will the single pack Legendary Trigger Happy. Your money is well-spent; there really is no other way to get Dark Spyro, nor will there be.

Frankly, it's just too lucrative for them to package him with the 3DS game for them to even WANT to make a separate one, even if they could. You're not the only one who bought that version just to get the figures. They're flying off the shelves, and I doubt even the majority of them are going to households where anyone actually has a 3DS. It was brilliant marketing, and I don't think they'll screw that up for themselves with a single pack Dark Spyro. Not even way down the line.
Gobiin Green Sparx Gems: 221
#6 Posted: 23:16:16 27/01/2012
Nintendo is hurting for money anyway from the price drop on the 3ds, so a marketing move like this will encourage people to buy a 3ds to play the game that they have for it already anyway.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Goldsmilie
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#7 Posted: 23:21:27 27/01/2012
Quote: Gobiin
Nintendo is hurting for money

That's kind of an oxymoron.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#8 Posted: 23:36:34 27/01/2012
Copy pasted from some site I googled...

Nintendo just reported a loss of 48.35 billion yen ($627.9 million) after a 49.56 billion yen profit a year earlier. The loss may have been due to a weak sales on it hand-held gaming device 3DS and it's now 6 year old gaming console Wii. Even though they (Nintendo) have sold more than 4 million 3DS unit in 9 months, this is still not enough to save Nintendo's behind. Besides in today's standard, 4 million in 9 months is not something you need to be proud of.

That's alot of money to lose. i know in the past I have bought systems for certain games, and think maybe that's why the Dark Spyro is exclusive to the 3ds, to encourage people to buy that system.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Goldsmilie
Rays Green Sparx Gems: 392
#9 Posted: 23:40:24 27/01/2012

Nintendo just reported a loss of 48.35 billion yen ($627.9 million) after a 49.56 billion yen profit a year earlier. The loss may have been due to a weak sales on it hand-held gaming device 3DS and it's now 6 year old gaming console Wii. Even though they (Nintendo) have sold more than 4 million 3DS unit in 9 months, this is still not enough to save Nintendo's behind. Besides in today's standard, 4 million in 9 months is not something you need to be proud of.

That's alot of money to lose. i know in the past I have bought systems for certain games, and think maybe that's why the Dark Spyro is exclusive to the 3ds, to encourage people to buy that system.

The lost is because of the 3ds. The 3ds sucks. It ruins your eyes.
---
Youtube account: KoopaBoo2
PortalMaster #517721
Skylanders owned: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#10 Posted: 23:43:09 27/01/2012
I like my 3ds...I rarely use the 3d on it however...
---
#11 Posted: 23:46:53 27/01/2012
True. They did take a pretty big loss, but it's not like they're gonna go out of business from it.

The biggest problem with the 3DS was that it had virtually no games going for it when it hit the shelves, which was a blatant mistake. Now that they've got a good batch coming out for it. (Along with some Mario Titles to sustain it) it's doing a lot better. The price drop was more for appealing to people than it was for cutting their losses. (I mean, No way in heck would I have paid that much for it. I at least got it at the $149 price and the Legend of Zelda one to boot) Plus, Nintendo has to compete with things like smartphones and what not offering relatively good games for 99 cents.

Although it's hard to say, that Dark Spyro exclusive probably did drive up some sales for that version, if not the system itself. Although from what it seems, a lot of people are just picking up that version for the exclusives.

Oh, I didn't even address your original post. My bad!
Like everyone said, Dark Spyro will only ever be available from the 3DS starter pack. Whirlwind and Drill Sarge were also exclusives, but if it matters to you at all, Drill Sarge in the 3 packs and singles now is actually a variation from the original ones sold at Walmart!
---
#12 Posted: 23:59:13 27/01/2012

That is true. But it would have made more money if they took the 3d off. People don't get it because the 3d is bad for your eyes and all the reviews on the 3ds complain about the 3d part of it.
---
PortalMaster #517721
Skylanders owned: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Wolfnine Green Sparx Gems: 231
#13 Posted: 00:02:47 28/01/2012
Quote: spyroflame0487
True. They did take a pretty big loss, but it's not like they're gonna go out of business from it.

The biggest problem with the 3DS was that it had virtually no games going for it when it hit the shelves, which was a blatant mistake. Now that they've got a good batch coming out for it. (Along with some Mario Titles to sustain it) it's doing a lot better. The price drop was more for appealing to people than it was for cutting their losses. (I mean, No way in heck would I have paid that much for it. I at least got it at the $149 price and the Legend of Zelda one to boot) Plus, Nintendo has to compete with things like smartphones and what not offering relatively good games for 99 cents.

Although it's hard to say, that Dark Spyro exclusive probably did drive up some sales for that version, if not the system itself. Although from what it seems, a lot of people are just picking up that version for the exclusives.

Oh, I didn't even address your original post. My bad!
Like everyone said, Dark Spyro will only ever be available from the 3DS starter pack. Whirlwind and Drill Sarge were also exclusives, but if it matters to you at all, Drill Sarge in the 3 packs and singles now is actually a variation from the original ones sold at Walmart!

I traded 9 old ds games plus my old dsi and payed $23 for the zelda edition. Thats why I got mine! smilie
---
The Collection - smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#14 Posted: 00:26:54 28/01/2012
It was confirmed by One of Swords on his FaceBook page that Dark Spyro will only be sold in the 3DS starter kit.

The price drop on the 3DS was to encourage sales. At release it had little to no games worth purchasing. It was also $250. Last I checked, the hand held market is more for kids (0-17) than the target audience that actually has money (18-34). I could not justify tossing my DSiXL that I just paid $170 for in order to get my kids their replacement 3DS @ $250. I still cant justify tossing the DSiXL in favor of a 3DS at its new price point of $170 simply because the screen is soo small and I havent seen a game on it that I would buy other than the new mario game. That is just too much to spend for just 1 game.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
#15 Posted: 00:28:57 28/01/2012
Quote: Monsinour
It was confirmed by One of Swords on his FaceBook page that Dark Spyro will only be sold in the 3DS starter kit.

The price drop on the 3DS was to encourage sales. At release it had little to no games worth purchasing. It was also $250. Last I checked, the hand held market is more for kids (0-17) than the target audience that actually has money (18-34). I could not justify tossing my DSiXL that I just paid $170 for in order to get my kids their replacement 3DS @ $250. I still cant justify tossing the DSiXL in favor of a 3DS at its new price point of $170 simply because the screen is soo small and I havent seen a game on it that I would buy other than the new mario game. That is just too much to spend for just 1 game.

There are 3 games, but we shouldn't buy a 3ds just for 3 games.
---
PortalMaster #517721
7Habits Blue Sparx Gems: 989
#16 Posted: 06:03:28 28/01/2012 | Topic Creator
I bought the 3DS for my son because of the price drop and the $50 gift card offer from best buy before Christmas = Zelda game free.
3DS games are too expensive though, and I usually pick xbox360 and PS3 over wii if the games are across platforms. Nintendo hasn't had a Mario Kart, Wii fit... type of game that everyone is looking for and can't find in the last couple of years, so it doesn't really surprise me that they lost money.
---
Own: (smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)smilie smilie smilie smilie smiliesmilie smilie smilie smilie smilie(smiliesmiliesmilie)smilie smilie smilie
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#17 Posted: 06:31:33 28/01/2012
^ I honestly like the 3DS and I paid full price for it. The 3D effect doesn't bother my eyes and I have a astigmatism. I usually keep the 3D on full blast - I turn it off if my power is slow to help save energy. They are coming out with some great games for it such as Kid Icarus: Uprising, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Resident Evil: Revelations, and Luigi's Mansion 2. The only problem I encountered with it was that my microphone broke but when I sent it in for a repair, Nintendo gave me a whole new 3DS! Also if you payed the original price for it, they give you some free "Virtual Console" games through the "Ambassador Program". The only thing I really wish was different would be the length of the games for the system - it seems like the 3DS doesn't have much capacity or virtual space.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
Brony Blue Sparx Gems: 660
#18 Posted: 13:38:29 28/01/2012
Quote: Rays

The lost is because of the 3ds. The 3ds sucks. It ruins your eyes.

^ THIS SO MUCH. 3D is overrated.
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#19 Posted: 14:30:54 28/01/2012
The 3D doesn't actually ruin your eyes......
Buzzthebatgirl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1526
#20 Posted: 15:35:12 28/01/2012
Quote: arceustheprime

It can hurt your eyes if you turn it up too high before you have properly adjusted to it. Trivia: The 3DS can actually pick up on eye problems in small children's eyes if they have problems seeing the 3D properly. Also people with eye problems like a "lazy eye" can not view 3D images either in the cinema or on the 3DS.

Back on Topic: Why not either buy the 3DS version, keep what you want and eBay the rest of the parts? Or indeed just buy the Dark Spyro figure on eBay, with a bit of patience you might even get him at a good price. He goes for between £10-£25 (appox $15-$40) on the UK eBay. The shipping is depend on the seller and can range from Free-£5. I got mine for £15.14 including shipping, a mighty bargain considering the game is about £45 and I'm not all that bothered about playing it right now (I do own a 3DS but I play it in transit mostly, travelling with a portal and figures on a bus/train is a big no no).
---
GITD smilie won on Facebook.com/Toywinner
Too many Skylanders in collection
#21 Posted: 16:12:45 28/01/2012

Says who? The 3D does ruin your eyes. The CEO of Nintendo even admitted that.
---
PortalMaster #517721
#22 Posted: 16:15:00 28/01/2012

After playing Ocarina of Time for about a half hour, your eyes definitely start hurting. I would guess that long term exposure to it would probably mess you up good. Now I just play almost everything in 2D...

It was a brilliant idea, and I'm glad they attempted it, but 3D is on the decline so they kinda hit that market too late.
---
the_box Yellow Sparx Gems: 1324
#23 Posted: 18:27:25 28/01/2012
3D on everything is going to hurt your eyes eventually. The beauty of the 3DS is that you can actually control how much 3D you want/ can handle.
---
Collection Complete! 37/37
joseph235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#24 Posted: 21:13:30 28/01/2012
I love the 3ds It doesnt bother my eyes at all. But ALOT of people say that it does bother them. Maybe my eyes are already messed up LOL.
I love the demos we have been getting on the 3ds now. I can't wait for new resident evil 3ds game looks AMAZING.When this comes out it will at least distract me from the skylander fiasco for a bit.At least untill the other skylanders figs in march or april.Then it will be back to the obsession.LOL
#25 Posted: 21:22:41 28/01/2012
^ Yeah I'm like you, the 3D doesn't bother my eyes at all even on full blast. I like the demos also, Resident Evil: Revelations looks great, I pre-ordered it a month back from GameStop. They are suppose to give you a case or something for pre-ordering from them but I forgot what exactly it entails.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

DrillSarge Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#26 Posted: 00:08:56 29/01/2012
When is legendary trigger happy coming out?
#27 Posted: 00:46:21 29/01/2012
^ No one knows an exact date but he's most likely coming out with the rest of the characters by Easter (April 22).
---

bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#28 Posted: 01:37:59 29/01/2012
Quote: the_box
3D on everything is going to hurt your eyes eventually. The beauty of the 3DS is that you can actually control how much 3D you want/ can handle.

Not good old fashioned mutli-colour 3D, not any 3D with glasses for that matter. The only reason why 3D without glasses hurts some people after a while is because it puts a strain on your eyesight.
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#29 Posted: 01:41:43 29/01/2012
Just turn the 3D off. Nobody is forcing anyone to use it. Without the 3D effect, it's just a more powerful DS with full analog control. In other words; awesome! Don't let the 3D effect deter you. I've had a 3DS for months, and can count on my hands how many times I've bothered with the 3D effect. It has good games, a unique and more Spyro-ish 3D Skylanders chief among them, so don't let rumors of headaches deter you.
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#30 Posted: 03:48:04 29/01/2012

That is true. But it would have made more money if they took the 3d off. People don't get it because the 3d is bad for your eyes and all the reviews on the 3ds complain about the 3d part of it.

But they added a magical thing called an off switch. You know, for those who don't want or can't use it.
#31 Posted: 14:25:39 29/01/2012
Quote: IsisStormDragon

But they added a magical thing called an off switch. You know, for those who don't want or can't use it.

But people don't buy it because all reviews on the 3ds says the 3d is bad for your eyes and because of that people think it is bad as a whole.
---
PortalMaster #517721
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#32 Posted: 14:34:29 29/01/2012

But people don't buy it because all reviews on the 3ds says the 3d is bad for your eyes and because of that people think it is bad as a whole.

Not all the reviews, only the ones for the newspapers and stuff where they don't know any better.

I only really have problems when the 3d depth changes quickly - looking at the scree whilst sliding the slider up or down.
Skaterpunkdan Blue Sparx Gems: 501
#33 Posted: 15:00:47 29/01/2012
wow how off topic has this got from "exclusive characters" to whether the 3ds is any good or if its good/bad for your eyesight :s
---
I Have: 37/37
#34 Posted: 15:04:01 29/01/2012
Quote: bisylizzie

Not all the reviews, only the ones for the newspapers and stuff where they don't know any better.

I only really have problems when the 3d depth changes quickly - looking at the scree whilst sliding the slider up or down.

Newspapers do know better than regular people. Also, Wall Street even said the 3ds is bad.
---
PortalMaster #517721
#35 Posted: 20:57:21 29/01/2012
^ Define "regular people". My local newspaper has tons of spelling errors, misprints and misinformation. Don't "regular people" write the articles in news papers? The 3D effect has never bothered my eyes and I don't think it can cause permanent damage to them unless you stare at it 24/7. Actually your computer and T.V. screens are more damaging to your eyes due to the brightness of the screens. I like the 3DS because you can dim the back light, I dim mine all the way so it's less strain on my eyes. I do the same thing with my laptop but my T.V. doesn't have an adjustment like that so it's actually more damaging to my eyes than my 3DS. The 3D effect with the glasses like the 3D T.V.s and movie theater's actually hurts my eyes but the 3D effect without them doesn't for some reason.

My eyes are actually damaged from my schools. My schools had bright florescent lights reflecting of our white papers. It was so bright that after a while I couldn't see my paper because it began to get too blurry and when I blinked, I could see an outline of my paper when I looked around the room (kind of like when the sun shines in your eyes and you see a black mark when you blink). I know that this caused damage to my eyes because ever since I graduated from high school, my eyes are still sensitive to white paper and florescent lights.

My Point: So basically, there are every day things in this world that defiantly cause much more damage than a 3DS's 3D effect.
---

spyro assasin Ripto Gems: 71
#36 Posted: 20:59:29 29/01/2012

only if you play 3d mode for hours without swithching it off
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#37 Posted: 21:04:01 29/01/2012
Quote: spyro assasin

only if you play 3d mode for hours without swithching it off

Well of course. Much like using anything for hours without switching it off would.
spyro assasin Ripto Gems: 71
#38 Posted: 21:06:28 29/01/2012
or even like 30 miniutes
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#39 Posted: 21:10:39 29/01/2012
Newspapers do know better than regular people.

Pffff haha, not always.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:11:35 29/01/2012 by LevanJess
MermaidKelly Green Sparx Gems: 444
#40 Posted: 04:02:39 30/01/2012
Quote: spyroflame0487
Whirlwind and Drill Sarge were also exclusives, but if it matters to you at all, Drill Sarge in the 3 packs and singles now is actually a variation from the original ones sold at Walmart!

How are the new ones different?
---
smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
CopiousTurtle Green Sparx Gems: 240
#41 Posted: 04:09:01 30/01/2012
Responding to Mermaid Kelly:

a very small variation in paint tint. that's all I've seen on pics, but I really can't tell the difference between my two Drill Sgts.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:09:57 30/01/2012 by CopiousTurtle
MermaidKelly Green Sparx Gems: 444
#42 Posted: 04:11:14 30/01/2012
Thank you smilie I haven't been able to find one yet, so I'm happy to hear they aren't much different.
---
smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:12:26 30/01/2012 by MermaidKelly
CopiousTurtle Green Sparx Gems: 240
#43 Posted: 04:12:15 30/01/2012
Quote: MermaidKelly
Thank you smilie

No problem. Happy to help.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me