Page 1 of 1
The new look of dragons? [CLOSED]
MorningStar Green Sparx Gems: 298
#1 Posted: 04:42:09 05/05/2008 | Topic Creator
I'm really surprised I haven't seen any topics like this yet... At least for Spyro and Cynder. I've seen something about Hunter's look and Sparx's look, but not Spyro and Cynder. And I love to talk about art and the like, so...

Personally, I love this new look. They look a bit more believable and Spyro and Cynder's proportions and anatomy and such are more similar, so they at least look the same (sub)species, if you want to get technical... xD And yet they remain distinct individuals. Not to mention this particular style is easier for me to draw. And the texture... Oh, goodness! @_@ The scales, the veins of the wing membranes... Faaabulous.
There is one bone I have to pick, though, and it's with the back leg anatomy in flight.
[User Posted Image]
Here I've drawn how the joints should be in red. What you see under the red is WRONNNG. D: Somebody get Lex Luthor up in here!
It looks pretty much alright in the standing pictures, but in flight the feet are very wrong. That first circle is where the leg meets the hip. The next circle down is the knee. The circle just to the right of that is the ankle. Now... there isn't an extra wrist-like-joint right in the middle of your foot, is there? Your legs are a lot like your arms, but you have longer "palms" and shorter "fingers" at the ends of your legs instead of hands, and the hinges are reversed. Theirs should be the same way. But instead they have two shins or something. smilie

Also, I'd like to add that this is likely NOT what the Spyro movie will look like. So far Spyro's model looks a lot like that "gross" poster on Velvet Octopus's website, and the other picture on their site also appears to be concept art for DoTD. They probably just used early DoTD material because they are very early in production and haven't made their own stuff just yet.

But I digress. A lot. What do you guys think of the dragons' new look?
---
I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!
Last edited at 22:22:14 05/05/2008 by MorningStar
DragonFriend244 Blue Sparx Gems: 767
#2 Posted: 04:58:12 05/05/2008
Personally the first time I saw them I was like what the!!! smilie but they grow on you. I also hated how the new world looked in DotD I mean it is a new world after all but still everything is different and of course where the heck are the heck are the monkeys?

I have also noticed the weird way the joints are set in flight mode they really should fix that.

I would write a lot more but it is hard typing on my phone so I guess I will use the edit button later to write more
#3 Posted: 05:02:24 05/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Ooh, you're typing on a phone? o 3o Heheh, that's pretty cool~

And I'm glad I'm not the only one nitpicky enough to notice the extra joint. xD I'm big on making things as realistic as possible while still being original... In hopes that it'll happen someday? I dunno.

...anyone notice how shiny they are, too?
---
#4 Posted: 05:06:32 05/05/2008
Yes they are so shiny I hate it!!! And ya it bothers me to when stuff like that joint happen. And ya it is pretty cool that I am typing on my phone and it is actually an iPhone.
Spyro LUVA Blue Sparx Gems: 638
#5 Posted: 19:44:40 05/05/2008
THe game looks fantastic! I've waited too long for such a good looking Spyro game! The last two were very dark, and this one looks brighter, happyer, prettyer! (SP?) Although you are right, Spyro and Cynder literally Glow!smilie However i do like that they look older. As wierd as this sounds, Spyro is very handsome!smilie Cynder looks more mature and brooding, You can kind of see emotion in her eyes like she's concerned.

Have you guys noticed how big their chests are though? I suppose spyro could have developed pecks, wot with all the butt-kicking he does, and Cynder could have, ahem, breasts now that she's a teenager. Cynder is also very thin around the waist isn't she?
---
Look @ my YouTube channel! PLZ subscribe if you like!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SpyroLUVA
OBEY THE HIPNOTOAD! THE HIPNOTOAD KNOWS ALL!
#6 Posted: 19:49:20 05/05/2008
Strange how they look...but in a good way!smilie

I have noticed there chests. My friend wouldn't stop making fun of them.smilie
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#7 Posted: 20:31:45 05/05/2008
I'll continue to reiterate my opinion on the new looks with the same statement: I don't much care for the wing size, or the fact that Spyro looks like he's covered in a layer of oil. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#8 Posted: 21:42:44 05/05/2008
http://gwenio1.deviantart.com/art/Dragon-Legs-71680731
There are three in cats and dragons.
#9 Posted: 22:17:09 05/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Three whats? Thigh and two shins, then foot? No, I don't think so... (TLsmilieR!1 again)
*grabs a cat*
They rest weight on their toes, see; it's not the entire foot. It's like if you were walking on your tiptoes all the time. And I'm more than reasonably sure that cats (and we can apply this to dragons and a bunch of other animals, too) just have really long feet, because they can rest their weight on that entire foot, too, when they're standing up to get a better look at something (or take a treat from someone's hand). They need to do that to stand up for more than a few seconds the same reason our feet are the shape the are. Larger foundation, you know?
[User Posted Image]
And here's the entire leg.It looks kinda weird, but their toes are made for supporting weight, after all. And you have to remember, toes have joints in them just like fingers. Compare it to the human foot and you'll see they're pretty similar.
If that's too far-fetched, check out the Euparkeria:
[User Posted Image]
Femur = thigh, fibula and tibia = shin, tarsals = ankle, and metatarsals and the toes and the rest are the foot, basically. You could compare it to your own leg.

Heheh, sorry if I sound like I'm giving a lecture... This kinda stuff interests me, but I'm no expert. smilie; Sometimes I learn stuff myself this way.
If that's not what you were saying at all, then don't consider this a correction, but more to back up my case because I felt like posting something really long. I get carried away pretty quick.
---
Last edited at 22:21:13 05/05/2008 by MorningStar
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#10 Posted: 22:17:56 05/05/2008
Quote: MorningStar
I'm really surprised I haven't seen any topics like this yet... At least for Spyro and Cynder. I've seen something about Hunter's look and Sparx's look, but not Spyro and Cynder. And I love to talk about art and the like, so...

Personally, I love this new look. They look a bit more believable and Spyro and Cynder's proportions and anatomy and such are more similar, so they at least look the same (sub)species, if you want to get technical... xD And yet they remain distinct individuals. Not to mention this particular style is easier for me to draw. And the texture... Oh, goodness! @_@ The scales, the veins of the wing membranes... Faaabulous.
There is one bone I have to pick, though, and it's with the back leg anatomy in flight.
[User Posted Image]
Here I've drawn how the joints should be in red. What you see under the red is WRONNNG. D: Somebody get Lex Luthor up in here!
It looks pretty much alright in the standing pictures, but in flight the feet are very wrong. That first circle is where the leg meets the hip. The next circle down is the knee. The circle just to the right of that is the ankle. Now... there isn't an extra wrist-like-joint right in the middle of your foot, is there? Your legs are a lot like your arms, but you have longer "palms" and shorter "fingers" at the ends of your legs instead of hands, and the hinges are reversed. Theirs should be the same way. But instead they have two shins or something. smilie

Also, I'd like to add that this is likely NOT what the Spyro movie will look like. So far Spyro's model looks a lot like that "gross" poster on Purple Octopus's website, and the other picture on their site also appears to be concept art for DoTD. They probably just used early DoTD material because they are very early in production and haven't made their own stuff just yet.

Hey, MorningStar, it's Velvet Octopus, not Purple Octopus. Just to inform ya. smilie
#11 Posted: 22:21:42 05/05/2008 | Topic Creator
... xDD Oh, yeah, my bad. The purple logo confused me. o 3o *fixes!*
---
#12 Posted: 22:26:21 05/05/2008
smilie
#13 Posted: 22:35:06 05/05/2008
3 large joint, as seen in your drawing. Hip, knee, ankle. Then there is a bend before the toes. If it is not posible to bend there then the dragons would have problems walking. If you looked you would see the same in the previous games of the trilogy.
#14 Posted: 22:36:58 05/05/2008
Hmm...
#15 Posted: 22:43:19 05/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Oh, I see what you mean... That "bend" is really just the "knuckle" of the toe, though. Very much like walking on your own toes, but the foot and toe bones of cats and such have different lengths and shapes appropriate to quadrupedal... locomotion. We're bipedal so pretty much everything is longer than our toes, because we don't need to stand on our toes, but it's still the same sort of principle.
As for the other two games, the problem isn't as obvious, if it's there. I see the problem with this one, but the model itself... Not really.

Let's just say, "What? They still didn't fix it?" x3
---
Last edited at 22:44:52 05/05/2008 by MorningStar
#16 Posted: 22:46:05 05/05/2008
I guess Sierra just has problems with creating dragon legs!smilie
#17 Posted: 23:36:31 05/05/2008
It is a little exagerated, but I would think if you were going to complain about it not being realistic it would be the wings (shape, they are the right size).
#18 Posted: 23:41:30 05/05/2008 | Topic Creator
I'm making myself let it slide since they at least tried... They are bigger than they were before. o 3o Not to mention the textures are a lot more realistic. That's a good enough improvement for meh. :3

Though I could look up and post something on wings if you people'd like. (Probably not... xD)
---
#19 Posted: 23:47:09 05/05/2008
This is the picture that really bothers me://www.darkspyro.net/dawn/gallery/images/gallery019.jpg

See the way Spyro's body is set up. His body is to thin and looks less muscular than in the other pictures (Spyro have you lost some weight?) and at the end of the wings they have a weird little bend to them and it seems as though it blended with the rest of the picture. And like "Morning Star" said look at his limbs they are out of place again like "Morning Star" had posted on the first post.
Last edited at 07:19:09 06/05/2008 by dark52
#20 Posted: 23:49:37 05/05/2008
I'm making myself let it slide since they at least tried... They are bigger than they were before. o 3o Not to mention the textures are a lot more realistic. That's a good enough improvement for meh. :3

Though I could look up and post something on wings if you people'd like. (Probably not... xD)

You can find wing in my gallery on DevientART which can be reached from the picture of legs I linked to earlier.
#21 Posted: 23:50:18 05/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Personally, I was thinking the tips of the wings bent and the red streaks around the wings (in other pictures) are some sort of effect. Like this one...

He does look awfully thin in that picture, though. Kinda reminds me of my decidedly anorexic cat... @_@

EDIT: *checks Gwenio's DA* Yep, that's the gist of them. :3 Was offering on the off-chance anybody really cared or was interested... o 3o But you've got 'em down. http://gwenio1.deviantart.com/art/Dragon-Wings-71600961 Folks, these be better wings.
---
Last edited at 23:53:39 05/05/2008 by MorningStar
#22 Posted: 23:53:18 05/05/2008
They had the little white streaks in AHT. (I now remeber)

Not much different than in DotD.

But Spyro looks so thin and gangly in that picture it is SO weird. @_@
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#23 Posted: 01:07:15 06/05/2008

[User Posted Image]

Also, I'd like to add that this is likely NOT what the Spyro movie will look like. So far Spyro's model looks a lot like that "gross" poster on Velvet Octopus's website, and the other picture on their site also appears to be concept art for DoTD. They probably just used early DoTD material because they are very early in production and haven't made their own stuff just yet.

It just looks like the entire foot. smilie

Quote: HIR
I'll continue to reiterate my opinion on the new looks with the same statement: I don't much care for the wing size, or the fact that Spyro looks like he's covered in a layer of oil. <.<;

The wings are great for me.

And.. oil? Pervert... X3
#24 Posted: 01:23:04 06/05/2008 | Topic Creator
You're don't see? There's a big knot of an extra ankle right there...

[User Posted Image]

I mean, we've analyzed the heck out of this...
Hm... You know, the problem could also be his foot is just too dang thin to accomodate all those toes. But let's forget about why. It's wrong and the old feet looked better. @_@
---
Last edited at 01:29:21 06/05/2008 by MorningStar
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#25 Posted: 02:24:04 06/05/2008
To me, this topic is all pointing in one CLEAR direction... I was right to nervously start chewing fingernails over free flight. =_=
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Tango Gold Sparx Gems: 2076
#26 Posted: 16:28:45 06/05/2008
Quote: HIR
To me, this topic is all pointing in one CLEAR direction... I was right to nervously start chewing fingernails over free flight. =_=

i'm reading all these posts and thinking "wha?" coz i'm rubbish at sciance(can't be bothered to even spell it smilie) i get that spyro has a extra limb though....creepy
#27 Posted: 20:02:48 06/05/2008
No, there is an exagerated joint before the hind foot.
#28 Posted: 21:27:47 06/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Hnaa, sorry if I got carried away. .-. I've got this bad habit of going too far in making sure I'm understood, I think... I love the new faces and textures and dare I say toes, I just don't like that they didn't really look into what the back legs should be like. That's all I meant to say, at first, anyway. Maybe it eased the animating process or something, I dunno. *shrugs*
I'm still looking forward to seeing it all in motion. o wo
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me