darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon > "Guide You Home" -- WHY has no one covered this song?
Page 1 of 1
"Guide You Home" -- WHY has no one covered this song? [CLOSED]
Shadomew Green Sparx Gems: 115
#1 Posted: 02:48:23 22/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Frankly, "Guide You Home" is a fantastic duet, with amazing backing music and a perfect karaoke tune... for all the hype the song has received, I am utterly SHOCKED that I can't find a single guitar tab, music sheet, or any sort of cover (save for one piano arrangement that was kinda meh)....
I'm a musician myself, but I can't sing very well, nor play a guitar to save my life. I might be able to replicate the orchestral and piano parts with enough effort, but the lack of any official sheet music, instrumental version, or remix stems makes that a mountain of a task...
Does anyone here know of ANY cover version of this song? And if not, do you think you have the chops to assist in creating one? smilie;
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#2 Posted: 03:42:14 22/12/2011
I'm pretty sure it's been covered to death. Just check around on YouTube. Personally, I thought the song was overrated and sounds way too much like that song from the Eragon end credits.
#3 Posted: 04:04:51 22/12/2011 | Topic Creator
I already said in my post, I've searched Youtube quite a bit. There are a grand total of two covers on Youtube, to my knowledge -- the piano arrangement I mentioned, and some chick singing over the official MP3.
EDIT: Oh hey, I know you. xD Let me just say, I love the song, but not the fact that it's about Spyro and Cynder. Their relationship was about as shallow and b-movie as it gets. Just thought I'd say that in case it improves my standing in your view xD
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:08:11 22/12/2011 by Shadomew
#4 Posted: 04:59:45 22/12/2011
Huh. There used to be a bunch of covers of it. Maybe it's one of those things that YouTube takes down now?

Hee, my reputation as the crotchety old lady of the fandom precedes me. smilie I never think less of anyone for what ships they like unless they try to force it down my throat (especially on non-SxC and non-Spyro material). smilie And if I remember right, "Guide You Home" isn't about SxC unless you really want it to be (even so, the lyrics sound like it's pretty one-sided). Still, that's not why I dislike the song. It's just too generic-pop sounding to me. I had it playing next to the Eragon music and my husband didn't realize I was listening to two distinct songs (as opposed to the same song on repeat) until I pointed it out. I'll take "This Broken Soul" over it any day.
#5 Posted: 12:05:12 22/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Fair enough. And I knew you before you were the crotchety old lady of the fandom. I remember you as the artist under fire xD
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#6 Posted: 15:31:03 22/12/2011
I quite enjoy the song as long as it's not being used for SxC, and I'm pretty shocked at the lack of remixes more than anything. The only ones I have are a MIDI and 8-bit.

I'd help with the sheet and all, but eh, I can't even replicate a simple song, let alone one like this smilie
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#7 Posted: 18:55:14 22/12/2011
Here's the 8-bit remix... *imagines how cool this version would be for the Game Land stages of Sonic Colours*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvA1VA-fuFQ

I've been interested in this song for the longest time. While I haven't listened to it in ages (I've been listening to too much Sonic music, both official and fan-made, to find the time for other music! smilie), I knew the lyrics off by heart, and often sung them when I was bored, sometimes around other people. They thought I was good at singing it, but I wasn't really singing properly, usually pretty quietly.

But anyway, I would love to see a very professional quality remix/cover of this. I've been interested in musical composition for ages, as I have a ton of ideas. Problem is, I don't know where to start. I did start remixing the final boss theme from LoS: TEN using the music sequencer in LBP2, and it was coming along quite nicely. But, it got put on a hiatus, and I haven't worked on it in about 10 months.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#8 Posted: 19:02:37 22/12/2011
There's another 8-bit remix out there too, but I think it's been removed since smilie
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#9 Posted: 19:09:54 22/12/2011
I'VE GOT IT!

"Guide You Home - 90's version"

...I'm not gonna lie - I got the idea while listening to Sonic Boom. smilie
---
#10 Posted: 20:05:43 22/12/2011
Aww, thanks Shadomew. smilie

8-bit makes everything better. smilie

It's just occurred to me to ask, but are there any covers of "This Broken Soul"? I don't think anything could really top the original song, but I'm curious anyway.
#11 Posted: 20:46:00 22/12/2011
I don't think there is, except a couple of MIDIs and an 8-bit :x
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#12 Posted: 23:13:26 22/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: sonicbrawler182
I'VE GOT IT!

"Guide You Home - 90's version"

90's version? Dude, it already sounds like a generic 90's pop duet, only with better orchestral backing. xD
And somebody point me to a MIDI version. o.o That'd be tremendously helpful if I'm to create a professional-grade cover -- which I'd really like to do! Again, all I'd need is a guitarist and female vocalist. MAYBE male vocalist, but I think I could possibly pull it off.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:14:13 22/12/2011 by Shadomew
#13 Posted: 23:25:00 22/12/2011
Guide You Home doesn't sound like a 90's song at all to me.

I kind of mean something like this, with the "WOOOOOO"'s and everything:

---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#14 Posted: 23:57:39 22/12/2011
Quote: Razz
I'm pretty sure it's been covered to death. Just check around on YouTube. Personally, I thought the song was overrated and sounds way too much like that song from the Eragon end credits.

To be honest, it sounds like BOTH songs in the Eragon credits.

This isn't too much of a bad thing (since both songs are good), but it's not a good thing either.
#15 Posted: 00:03:04 23/12/2011
Personally don't find the songs overly similar.

And yes, I did try listening to them on top of each other simultaneously. It hardly synched at all.
---
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#16 Posted: 01:10:29 23/12/2011
One sides song my ass, did you note hear the lyrics for the male singer?
#17 Posted: 01:15:56 23/12/2011
The male singer can easily be interpreted as singing for all of his friends, family, and the world. That is, in fact, how I've always interpreted it. I've noticed that the only people who die-hard defend it as a love song are the more rabid SxC fans (these are the same people who tend to insist that "This Broken Soul" is a Cynder song even though it's been officially stated that it's meant to be Spyro's thought about Ignitus).
#18 Posted: 01:22:22 23/12/2011
BETTER IDEA GUYS:

Let's take a Classic Spyro song.
Remix into something romantic.
Give it romantic lyrics.
And make it a Spyro x Elora song.

WHO'S WITH ME?
---
#19 Posted: 01:42:23 23/12/2011
That would be awesome, but I think we'll need something by The Police for it to work. smilie

This whole post is more or less why I like the huge library of lyric-free instrumental Spyro music far more than the two vocal pieces from LoS (even though TBS is nice to listen to when you're feeling emo). smilie
#20 Posted: 01:51:43 23/12/2011
TBS isn't great for being emo, it'd make an awesome song for chillin' at the beach though.

But what do you mean by "something from The Police"? I thought Stewart Copeland was the only one to wrk on a Spyro game.
---
#21 Posted: 02:06:36 23/12/2011
He was, but before he worked on Spyro he was the composer for The Police. Though, now that I think on it, the other band he started, Animal Logic, probably has more songs that would fit classic Spyro.
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#22 Posted: 04:14:47 23/12/2011
I always thought of Guide You Home more of a Spyro stating his intention of protecting everything and Cynder being there to support him.

Which means Spyro make her do anything with how diehard she was.

Spyro: Oh geez a flaming fire monster....Cynder be a good girl and fight it.
DOTD Cynder: For you!!!!

Several hours later Cynder's corpse is incinerated

Ignitus: Well that went well.....
Cyril: Good news everyone I have killed that beast....with basically not even using a small breath attack.
Spyro: Hey don't blame me they said if I didn't get her killed they would kill sparx.

Camera pans to Krome's Little Cynder and Dark Cynder holding knives at Sparx.

Sparx: I think they fell for it

The trio remove the knives and high five each other.

Dark Cynder: Just as planned......
#23 Posted: 05:22:22 23/12/2011
Ha! I like that scenario. smilie
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3163
#24 Posted: 05:30:02 23/12/2011
Aww, thanks Shadomew. smilie

8-bit makes everything better. smilie

It's just occurred to me to ask, but are there any covers of "This Broken Soul"? I don't think anything could really top the original song, but I'm curious anyway.

There's a piano cover on Youtube. I'm learning how to play it now.
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#25 Posted: 10:50:32 23/12/2011
He was, but before he worked on Spyro he was the composer for The Police. Though, now that I think on it, the other band he started, Animal Logic, probably has more songs that would fit classic Spyro.

Wait...I think you misunderstood my little crazy idea...

What I meant was, take a song that ia actually used in an Insomniac Spyro game, remix it, and give it lyrics that are written from scratch.
---
#26 Posted: 18:22:12 23/12/2011
Ooooooh. Yeah, that would work, too, though it's hard to imagine one of those old songs with lyrics.
#27 Posted: 18:30:36 23/12/2011
That's what remixing is for. To change the mood of the song, so it fits a lyrical style.
---
AshETERNAL Green Sparx Gems: 387
#28 Posted: 00:36:43 20/01/2012
I'm surpised, too. I love that song alot. I'm gonna cover it soon, but why do people say it sounds like the Eragon ending song? It's ironic to me, since I'm reading Eragon.
---
*Previously on this site as GlitchGirl. Heheh. I hate losing passwords and forgetting what of 5 emails you registered with smilie*
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me