Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Fandom > I know this really has nothing to do with fandom...
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
I know this really has nothing to do with fandom... [CLOSED]
wingsofpurple Yellow Sparx Gems: 1023
#1 Posted: 21:26:22 18/12/2011 | Topic Creator
But have you ever read the Zonoya comic?
---
"Man! will you ever run out of muffins?"
"No. Because I work at ze muffin factory."
Hyena Yellow Sparx Gems: 1413
#2 Posted: 21:51:48 18/12/2011
Quote: wingsofpurple
But have you ever read the Zonoya comic?

It does have something to do with the fandom if it's made by a Spyro fan artist and has Spyro in it.

Also. The comics do have titles.
lemmingluv Ripto Gems: 907
#3 Posted: 23:20:22 18/12/2011
eyup, their okay i guess. theres some random bipolarness of the characters here and there, but meh.

it was also pointed out to me by someone else that the plot line is A LOT like lion king 2
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#4 Posted: 00:23:09 19/12/2011
I really like her comic, but I preferred it in the beginning. You know, before Frijir.
I like Frijir, he's cute and all, but he doesn't have the best personality.

And he's a bit too overrated... I hate how Ash and Spyro are hated because they were being jerks to Frijir. I thought they had a good reason. Frijir gets too much hype, he's not innocent.

I prefer Ash, to be honest.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:24:19 19/12/2011 by LevanJess
#5 Posted: 00:54:13 19/12/2011
I can't tell who I like more between Ash and Frijir. XD

But maybe Ash since he's pink... Hehe~
#6 Posted: 01:19:42 19/12/2011
I love how Ash is pink and he's a boy. xD
I also love how well his name fits in with his parents.

Speaking of Flame and Ember, they need more comic time.
---
but i love it all smooth
#7 Posted: 02:41:02 19/12/2011
i know right?! they need more lines too! it's like "oh sure, i'll look after your kid." then twenty pages later "oh i'm hungry"

LIKE COME ON D:<
Spyro-Gamer Hunter Gems: 7301
#8 Posted: 06:54:57 19/12/2011
I like the comics.
#9 Posted: 22:10:59 19/12/2011
i like em too, don't get me wrong, but i'm a flame fangirl smilie
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#10 Posted: 10:27:35 20/12/2011
Yeah lets all be mean to the spawn of a genoical manic, not like the kid's going to go crazy from the abuse or start hating anyone...right....right
#11 Posted: 16:36:49 20/12/2011
Quote: LevanJess
I love how Ash is pink and he's a boy. xD
I also love how well his name fits in with his parents.

Speaking of Flame and Ember, they need more comic time.

Maybe if we're lucky; Shalone might make a mini comic with them on the side?
I'd love to see something like that... even if it's just sketches (And I love seeing sketches). 8D

And his name does fit. x3
I just think a boy dragon + pink = cute.
Dragonhope Gold Sparx Gems: 2992
#12 Posted: 17:23:51 20/12/2011
I used to read the comic, but then it got set to private smilie

During the small times that I got to read the comic, I really thought Frijir was just being annoying. What happened now, anyway?
---
Gaccha! Tanoshii dyueru dattaze!
[smilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie]
Dragonlover00 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1188
#13 Posted: 18:17:03 20/12/2011
Quote: Dragonhope
I used to read the comic, but then it got set to private smilie

During the small times that I got to read the comic, I really thought Frijir was just being annoying. What happened now, anyway?

shaloneSK made the comic so it just could be showing for members. But what was the name of the comic, I maybe seen that on Youtube.
#14 Posted: 18:30:25 20/12/2011
Comics started as:

"A New"
"Resurrection"
"Truth Be Told" (This was sort of an aftermath to "Resurrection")
"Caution for Reason"
Then "Her Touch His Feelings" (Which apparently already ended)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:40:55 20/12/2011 by Hyena
#15 Posted: 18:40:36 20/12/2011
Quote: shorty
^ 'Her Touch,His Feelings' just ended,like today.

Whoops.
Let me edit my last post.
wingsofpurple Yellow Sparx Gems: 1023
#16 Posted: 20:37:21 20/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: lemmingluv
eyup, their okay i guess. theres some random bipolarness of the characters here and there, but meh.

it was also pointed out to me by someone else that the plot line is A LOT like lion king 2

oh heck yeah! a lot like lion king two!
---
"Man! will you ever run out of muffins?"
"No. Because I work at ze muffin factory."
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#17 Posted: 16:34:23 21/12/2011
no never hear of it
#18 Posted: 12:36:47 22/12/2011
Was it this comic you where reading? ==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paYYB3ykkXE
#19 Posted: 17:07:41 22/12/2011
^ Yes, but it's also on deviantART.
---
but i love it all smooth
#20 Posted: 17:16:14 22/12/2011
I know, but I couldn't read (I don't have DevianArt).
#21 Posted: 17:30:00 22/12/2011
Ah, I forgot that Shalone made it so only members can read it!
My fault.
---
but i love it all smooth
#22 Posted: 21:48:39 22/12/2011
There is also SpyroCynderfans comic that seems to be going nowhere plotwise (slow pace)
#23 Posted: 00:18:15 23/12/2011
Quote: Jackson117
There is also SpyroCynderfans comic that seems to be going nowhere plotwise (slow pace)

dude, she's going through a lot right now. at one point she almost dropped the comic entirely.
#24 Posted: 00:21:53 23/12/2011
What comic are you guys talking about?
---
but i love it all smooth
#25 Posted: 00:39:32 23/12/2011

this one
http://cynder-and-spyro-fan.de...gallery/5132783
#26 Posted: 00:43:55 23/12/2011
Ah, yes! Thanks!
I read that one, and I must admit it is going very slow and not really going anywhere, but I completely understand why. I feel bad for the artist. They should take their time.
---
but i love it all smooth
#27 Posted: 00:57:02 23/12/2011
She should just take her time and tell those who flame or rant about "next comic" to get stuffed
#28 Posted: 01:01:06 23/12/2011
^ Thiiiiis.
They need a little patience.
---
but i love it all smooth
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#29 Posted: 03:07:48 03/01/2012
Meh, Shalone's comic is okay, but I find it kinda dull. Nothing much really happens. it's just, 'ooh, Frijr wants to play with Nina but can't,' or, 'Zonoya did something sorta-kinda-but-not-really evil'. There's not enough action. CasF's one may be slow, but at least it has more action, and I say it seems to go somewhere a lot more than SK's one does.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
#30 Posted: 03:36:00 03/01/2012
has anyone here read WeirdHyena's comic? (aka WolfofSorrow) It's called "Feuriahs Dawn" but it's pretty slow too (but quite great nontheless)
#31 Posted: 23:29:58 03/01/2012
^I've read it. It seems pretty good. It's better to have a slow comic than one where verything happens so fast you have no idea what's going on.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
awesomespyros10 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1437
#32 Posted: 23:44:26 03/01/2012
I hadn't read it. In fact, i've never even heard of it.
---
This was from my 3DS. Now it isn't. I also like the number 10, which is why I put it in my username.

I <3 all Spyros!
awesomespyros10 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1437
#33 Posted: 23:42:17 05/01/2012
Quote: lemmingluv

this one
http://cynder-and-spyro-fan.de...gallery/5132783

*looks at only pictures* Oh! That one! I actually recognize it. I kinda also know a little bit about the story.
---
This was from my 3DS. Now it isn't. I also like the number 10, which is why I put it in my username.

I <3 all Spyros!
Leafex Yellow Sparx Gems: 1055
#34 Posted: 21:05:52 12/01/2012
I read Shalone's comic for the heck of it (I like her adult character designs and the way she draws dragons, they're the only things her HILIGHTS EVERYWHERE style really works for me). The actual comic is pretty awful, imo. Spyro's way out of character, Zonoya doesn't look like she belongs in the LoS universe, and her entire backstory just destroys the canon (Malefor was imprisoned when Cynder was captured, not personally training her, and only one purple dragon is born per 10 generations, yet there's Nina). I don't like throwing the term "Mary Sue" around, but... Zonoya gives off that vibe.

I like Rapture, though.
---
http://laurel-tree.deviantart.com/

As uncertain as things are, none of us can remain idle and watch our worst fears unfold before us.
#35 Posted: 21:24:14 12/01/2012
Hey, those are some excellent points. I never even noticed that it messes with canon.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:50:52 12/01/2012 by LevanJess
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#36 Posted: 21:33:47 12/01/2012
It's a fan fiction comic.

They're called that for a reason. :I
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#37 Posted: 21:50:16 12/01/2012
Quote: Leafex
I read Shalone's comic for the heck of it (I like her adult character designs and the way she draws dragons, they're the only things her HILIGHTS EVERYWHERE style really works for me). The actual comic is pretty awful, imo. Spyro's way out of character, Zonoya doesn't look like she belongs in the LoS universe, and her entire backstory just destroys the canon (Malefor was imprisoned when Cynder was captured, not personally training her, and only one purple dragon is born per 10 generations, yet there's Nina). I don't like throwing the term "Mary Sue" around, but... Zonoya gives off that vibe.

I like Rapture, though.

... Spyro had a personality?

Oh wait. That was DotD Cynder.
Nevermind.

But, really. How do you compare a young dragon's personality to an adult dragon?
Spyro was like... a tween/teenager once DotD ended.

Things can change over the years. Especially personalities.

Also, like Lightning said, it's a fan fiction/comic.
#38 Posted: 22:35:22 12/01/2012
But here's the thing:

Fact books detail real things about the world.
Fictional books detail stories that are not real, but are based off of existing things.

So let's make the connection:

Canon is what is "fact" in a fictional universe, made by it's original creator (or whoever is in charge)
Fan Fiction, is made by fans. They use assets from another tale (just like how all fictional stories use assets from the real world), and make a story based off of it. Just like how fictional books don't have to match up with fact books, fan fiction does not have to match up with canon. It should only do so if the author wishes to do so.

The fact Shalone's story contradicts the canon is only a valid criticism if Shalone's intention was to match it up. But it's clear that wasn't her intention. It's just her little story within the LoS universe. She didn't want to be constrained by what the canon has set up. If this isn't enough to satisfy you, then read the comic as if it were set in an alternate timeline.
---
#39 Posted: 22:38:24 12/01/2012
The canon didn't set up a whole lot.

Don't care whether or not it's in canon or not, personally, don't know about the other person.
---
but i love it all smooth
#40 Posted: 22:43:57 12/01/2012
The canon didn't set up a whole lot.

Don't care whether or not it's in canon or not, personally, don't know about the other person.

If you didn't care about whether or not it's canon, why did you criticise it for screwing with the canon? smilie
---
#41 Posted: 22:47:03 12/01/2012
Quote: Hyena

I like Rapture, though.

... Spyro had a personality?

Oh wait. That was DotD Cynder.
Nevermind.

But, really. How do you compare a young dragon's personality to an adult dragon?
Spyro was like... a tween/teenager once DotD ended.

Things can change over the years. Especially personalities.

Also, like Lightning said, it's a fan fiction/comic.

Oh, Cynder... I thought she was funny sometimes in DotD, but...
"No, Spyro, stop..." I almost expected her to say "Or not, I don't really care," her voice actor had zero emotion half the time.

I can accept changes that come with maturity, but Spyro's defining characteristic was his kind heart. That's what allowed the others to trust him despite what happened to Malefor. I just can't see him changing so much that he mercilessly attacks a baby dragon just because it looks like Malefor. Seems to happen just for the sake of drama :/

And yeah, it is, which is why I don't take it seriously and just read it for fun, haha.
---

As uncertain as things are, none of us can remain idle and watch our worst fears unfold before us.
#42 Posted: 22:55:59 12/01/2012
Quote: sonicbrawler182
If you didn't care about whether or not it's canon, why did you criticise it for screwing with the canon? smilie

Uh, when did I ever say I hated/disliked it for it not being canon, or saying it's something Shalone should change or improve???
I only said I didn't realize that it's not canon until now. That's criticism?
That doesn't mean I give a crap about it, either...
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 23:12:35 12/01/2012 by LevanJess
#43 Posted: 23:02:54 12/01/2012
Quote: sonicbrawler182
But here's the thing:

Fact books detail real things about the world.
Fictional books detail stories that are not real, but are based off of existing things.

So let's make the connection:

Canon is what is "fact" in a fictional universe, made by it's original creator (or whoever is in charge)
Fan Fiction, is made by fans. They use assets from another tale (just like how all fictional stories use assets from the real world), and make a story based off of it. Just like how fictional books don't have to match up with fact books, fan fiction does not have to match up with canon. It should only do so if the author wishes to do so.

The fact Shalone's story contradicts the canon is only a valid criticism if Shalone's intention was to match it up. But it's clear that wasn't her intention. It's just her little story within the LoS universe. She didn't want to be constrained by what the canon has set up. If this isn't enough to satisfy you, then read the comic as if it were set in an alternate timeline.

Alternate universes can be great fun. I like how she brought in Ember and Flame to the LoS series, but messing with the canon to accommodate your fan character is a bit much. Borrowing from the real world is not really an applicable analogy, since the real world is just that and not supposed to tell a story.
---

#44 Posted: 23:17:59 12/01/2012
Like I said, fan fiction. There is no law that says a writer must not change the canon. The whole point of fan fictions is for fans to do their own take on things, so it need not match up.

Of course it's an applicable analogy. I'm talking about the concept of borrowing assets.
And, are you telling me you have never told the story of a life experience, ever?
---
#45 Posted: 23:44:17 12/01/2012
Changing the canon to suit your fan characters is lazy and doesn't really help their likability.

Borrowing and changing aspects of real life is different than doing it to an existing story. People desire believable creations, and taking aspects from real life helps to accomplish this. Real life, unlike a story, has no underlying planning or purpose in its events. A story is planned with purposes in mind, and each aspect of the story happens because the author had a reason for it. They are two different pools to borrow from. A real life event may be turned into a story, but the event itself is not a story.

Besides, the comic does not just borrow aspects of the story, it changes the original story entirely. To do this successfully, the new author must have a good reasoning behind it. Doing it to fit in your personal fan character is not a good reason- it alienates fans of the original material, and they are the audience the new author is writing to, so naturally this is not a desirable result.
---

#46 Posted: 00:04:41 13/01/2012

I like Rapture, though.

^This SO much. There isn't even a real plot. They just do random stuff and have arguments.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
#47 Posted: 01:15:22 13/01/2012
Not to mention the awkward writing. Seriously, I forgive people like cynder-and-spyro-fan because English isn't their first language, but is English really Shalone's first language?
---

#48 Posted: 01:23:22 13/01/2012
I was more suprised that Shalone's comic makes Spyro seem like a Paranoid prone to hate anything related to Malefor. Did he get a stick up his arse or something?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me