Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Fandom > Fan Fiction > Spyro: Mist of Regret (Looking for spriters!)
Page 1 of 1
Spyro: Mist of Regret (Looking for spriters!) [CLOSED]
Zerodius Yellow Sparx Gems: 1194
#1 Posted: 01:22:16 27/04/2008 | Topic Creator
Hello everyone, this is Zerodius. Been quite a while since I last posted!

Anyway...

I have decided to finally go ahead and complete my Spyro-based fan-game project called "Mist of Regret". Spyro: Mist of Regret, in its current form, will be a 2D, sprite-based RPG game based on the Spyro serie as a whole.

The game will involve an original plot that mix elements from the old-school and new-school games, featuring a level structure and freedom closer to that of the older games while offering the more involving plot and immersive atmosphere of the new games.

The game will feature no less than 6 full "worlds" and many hidden ones, offering plenty of places to explore and countless plot twists. Apart from the usual RPG-ish things associated with RPG games, the game will feature many arcade sections that are more akin to the canon games.

Now, one of the reasons I am posting this thread, apart from free advertisment, is also so that I might maybe get someone to rip and/or create sprites for my game. Although I can program, design levels, write the story, and have someone to help me with the music, I am not good at making some of the sprite rips and original, from scratch sprites that the game will require.

So... if anyone is willing to help me, please contact me.

My e-mail address is: zerophex@hotmail.com

It also double as my MSN e-mail so if you have MSN, YIM, or AIM, you can contact me using it.

Have a nice day everyone!
redthedragon Blue Sparx Gems: 831
#2 Posted: 19:48:10 27/04/2008
Cool! I could try and make some sprites! smilie (Is really good artist.)
#3 Posted: 20:43:41 27/04/2008 | Topic Creator
Ha, so you would try to make sprites? Please contact me via MSN or e-mail so we can discuss about this.
Lover of Spyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1831
#4 Posted: 21:01:00 27/04/2008
what are sprites and howu make em?
---
i'm baaack!smiliesmilie
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#5 Posted: 21:35:44 27/04/2008
Ah ha! So you're going to try and make a game! How interesting! ^.^
As for your spriter... well, that's not exactly something I'm good at! But good luck, though!
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#6 Posted: 02:32:38 29/04/2008
Quote: Zerodius
Ha, so you would try to make sprites? Please contact me via MSN or e-mail so we can discuss about this.

Sounds Good!
#7 Posted: 20:22:52 01/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Hmmm... redthedragon? It has been several days since you replied "Sounds Good!" and I still received any e-mails from you nor you tried to contact me via MSN.

... is something wrong?
#8 Posted: 01:43:33 02/05/2008
I'm just kind of busy, Please don't rush me.
#9 Posted: 20:34:04 03/05/2008 | Topic Creator
redthedragon, it has been yet more days and you still didn't try to contact me. I know that real life can be a handful but I'm beginning to wonder if you are truly serious about offering help.

I'm not asking you to give me a huge array of sprites but simply to talk with you and decide on what we are going to do.

So if you have an instant messaging program, please contact me. If you don't, then could you at least send me an e-mail? If not to discuss, just to tell me why you will not be able to speak to me in the next days and when, more or less, you should be free?
Last edited at 20:35:20 03/05/2008 by Zerodius
#10 Posted: 03:25:05 06/05/2008
Could I PM you?
#11 Posted: 21:24:11 08/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Saw the pic.

Final results: redthedragon, you are denied. Sorry.

Thus, I'm still looking for someone who could help me make sprites for the game...
Lover of Spyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1831
#12 Posted: 21:52:51 08/05/2008
Quote: Lover of Spyro
what are sprites and howu make em?
---
i'm baaack!smiliesmilie
DragonFriend244 Blue Sparx Gems: 767
#13 Posted: 22:12:20 08/05/2008
Hmm I was wondering the same...
Rexy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1313
#14 Posted: 00:18:13 09/05/2008
A sprite is a 2-dimensional image/animation. Like for example, DF244, you have a sprite of Spyro's head in your signature. For most sprite-driven titles, the size for them is meant to be on the petite size, typically no more than 50 pixels tall or wide.
DragonFriend244 Blue Sparx Gems: 767
#15 Posted: 00:30:11 09/05/2008
Oh.smilie
#16 Posted: 03:00:57 11/05/2008
Saw the pic.

Thus, I'm still looking for someone who could help me make sprites for the game...

*Dark Furies and Crazy Melees post*
#17 Posted: 08:57:40 12/05/2008
No crabbiness, please. I saw your attempt at a sprite too, and I have to side with Zerodius on this one: no time and effort was really put into it, not to mention no considerations on how big the sprite should be as well. Anyone with a decent knowledge on gameplay graphics would at least ask questions to guide them with the spritework, namely based on the terminology I mentioned further up the thread.
Pyro girl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1752
#18 Posted: 12:31:18 12/05/2008
Hey, I'm quite good at drawing. I could try sprite-making and I'll start of with Spyro's head just to let you see what I can do. What style of Spyro do you want and how big do you want it?
---
Kakarot, I think I'm going to puke ~Vegeta
Live Long and Prosper ~ Mr. Spock
I'm stupid, I'm Stupid ~ Starscream
#19 Posted: 16:51:49 12/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Ha, thanks! Sprite making is very difficult due to how it require manipulation of pixels to make it good due to really, really low sizes. I'll give you the size for the "box" that contain Spyro's sprite during fights.

48 pixels x 48 pixels

The sprite should preferably not be this big (as in-game, it will appear larger than it truly is).

If you have a GBA emulator, a GBA, or a DS, you can use the sprites of Spyro in the GBA versions of ANB and TEN as a base. The mobile phone versions might also give you an idea.

If you don't think you could do that sort of thing, then you could still help me with some of the artwork that will be in the game. But well, for now, this is what I'm asking for:

either
-a standing sprite for Spyro that could fit in a 48 x 48 box.
or
-a simple pic of Spyro standing.

In both cases, a style that is mostly similar to Dawn of the Dragon would be best but due to lack of sprite games using those styles, go with a ANB/TEN style if you cannot.

Thanks in advance.
#20 Posted: 17:01:04 12/05/2008
Right...that's going to be hard.

I'll have to resend that email because the picture I sent was a bit too big...and it was the wrong style of Spyro. Sorry.

EDIT: Finished the Spyro sprites. I did 4; one with Spyro facing the front, one facing left, one facing right and one facing the back. I'll PM you them.
---
Last edited at 18:31:24 12/05/2008 by Pyro girl
#21 Posted: 18:56:35 12/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Thank you! Just saw your original e-mail and liked the sample. Waiting to see the new samples!
#22 Posted: 01:50:28 15/05/2008
*sings I'm so Ronery from Team America: World Police*
#23 Posted: 07:27:52 15/05/2008
Red, stop being an emo. Just learn the fact that someone did a better job than you and use it as a chance to at least IMPROVE your skill. Trust me, I've been down there and no one - and I repeat, NO ONE - likes emos.

Furthermore, I believe a Celes Chere (Final Fantasy 6) quote should be fitting for a situation like this: "You want to live in this world the way it is? No? Then do something about it!"

Don't attack others if they criticise you; take the criticisms to heart and use them to help grow as a better person. If you keep making yourself miserable, then you'll only end up worse than you are now.
Last edited at 17:17:28 15/05/2008 by Rexy
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#24 Posted: 08:27:22 15/05/2008
redthedragon just got BURNED lolz...
#25 Posted: 02:19:59 16/05/2008
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf
redthedragon just got BURNED lolz...

*ATTACKS POST*
Spyro2008 Ripto Gems: 1353
#26 Posted: 03:42:03 16/05/2008
Quote: redthedragon
Saw the pic.

*Dark Furies and Crazy Melees post*

Red, if possible, may you please post pics of your sprites? I'd like to see 'em.
#27 Posted: 03:44:20 16/05/2008
You'd think that "they suck" smiliesmiliesmilie

[User Posted Image]
Last edited at 03:49:24 16/05/2008 by redthedragon
#28 Posted: 04:01:30 16/05/2008

[User Posted Image]

it's okay, good for your age I guess. Maybe could use some tweaks. No offense. Just photoshop it, etc and you'll make it better. *Kind of confused*.
#29 Posted: 04:04:51 16/05/2008
*doesn't have Photoshop and cries with Mathieu holding me*
#30 Posted: 04:06:12 16/05/2008
*doesn't have Photoshop and cries with Mathieu holding me*

Who is Mathieu and... whattheheck. No need cry. =P
#31 Posted: 04:14:47 16/05/2008
My cutesy crush... AND my future love. (He's on my avvi)
#32 Posted: 04:31:31 16/05/2008
Whoa... Too much info, I don't wanna know.

Here's a edited sprite I made of Neku Sakuraba, an Emo version.
[User Posted Image]

I'm not so sure if you want me to PM you, so I posted it here. I'll PM you also so you can see.
#33 Posted: 09:30:22 16/05/2008
There's a bunch of reasons why Red didn't get put on, and it's thus:

- Sprite itself is poorly out of proportion; body looks too long and anatomy looks droopy.
- The image is way too big for the resolution of the game (and no Spyro2008, you can't just resize the sprite; it'll be made blurry otherwise and character sprites require a lot more brash attention).
- Colors are too basic; no shading and rich detail are there at all.

From what I'm hearing though, Pyro Girl's contribution to the sprites are going down well with the project manager. She's even gone as far as to devise design ideas for the later bosses as well, and having seen some of her stuff last night I can see why she's on smilie

(Oh and don't mind me asking Red, but how old are you again?)
Last edited at 09:31:55 16/05/2008 by Rexy
#34 Posted: 12:33:20 16/05/2008
Wow! I'm glad you two like my designs smilie! I thought my LOS Spyro and Sparx need some improvement, but if you like it that's all that matters smilie As a matter of fact, I've never even drew LOS Spyro and Sparx before (apart from the wee Spyro sprites)

And Red I'm sorry you're miserable about not getting to make sprites for the game but that's life I'm afraid you just have to learn from your mistakes and try and try again until you get there.

Trust me, I've been there.

Less that two years ago, I was absolutely appauling at drawing Spyro, dragons and whatnot. I'm serious, he was all like a mutant-lizard-thing with really bad teeth. lol and I just learned from my mistakes until I got there in the end.
---
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#35 Posted: 13:12:00 16/05/2008

[User Posted Image]

No detail or anything and the anatomy is bad.

I would have made them but of course am not the best at sprites :[ Abstract art for me >.>
Last edited at 15:17:32 16/05/2008 by Blackholes_Wolf
#36 Posted: 21:56:08 16/05/2008
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf

[User Posted Image]

No detail or anything and the anatomy is bad.

I would have made them but of course am not the best at sprites :[ Abstract art for me >.>

I did my best OK???? smilie

Sometimes I wonder what's wrong w/ people.
#37 Posted: 22:03:54 16/05/2008
And sometimes I wonder what's wrong with *you*. Apparently, your "best" wasn't good enough. Live with it, and learn to improve instead of continuously sulking like the drama king you're turning out to be.
Given your reactions to all this, I won't be surprised if you're younger than 15. >.>
#38 Posted: 22:04:53 16/05/2008
Quote: Rexy
And sometimes I wonder what's wrong with *you*. Apparently, your "best" wasn't good enough. Live with it, and learn to improve instead of continuously sulking like the drama king you're turning out to be.
Given your reactions to all this, I won't be surprised if you're younger than 15. >.>

No more rude comments, please.
#39 Posted: 22:11:13 16/05/2008
You call that "rude"?

Look, I was just stating the obvious here: you're not good enough, and you need to learn to improve. I was trying to HELP you, not hinder you. Your continuous emo posting sprees aren't even helping you make friends around here either, so please, for the sake of Zerodius's health, GROW UP.
#40 Posted: 22:12:22 16/05/2008
You call that "rude"?

Look, I was just stating the obvious here: you're not good enough, and you need to learn to improve. I was trying to HELP you, not hinder you. Your continuous emo posting sprees aren't even helping you make friends around here either, so please, for the sake of Zerodius's health, GROW UP.

Still offended by one part.
#41 Posted: 22:15:44 16/05/2008
By what? The fact that a lot of your angry posts in this single thread and the Team America reference mentioned PROVED that you're an emo. It's nothing to be offended about at all, but it still makes you look sillier than you already are.

Now can we please disregard all this and move on? I know for a fact that Zerodius will be angry if he sees the thread like this >.>
#42 Posted: 22:16:31 16/05/2008
By what? The fact that a lot of your angry posts in this single thread and the Team America reference mentioned PROVED that you're an emo. It's nothing to be offended about at all, but it still makes you look sillier than you already are.

Now can we please disregard all this and move on? I know for a fact that Zerodius will be angry if he sees the thread like this >.>

OK, I've had it. smilie smilie
BIGRED Fodder
#43 Posted: 22:41:04 16/05/2008
DO YOU THINK THAT THIS WAS NICE TO SAY ABOUT SOMEONE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.. SOUNDS LIKE A BUNCH OF PUTDOWNS TO ME

There's a bunch of reasons why Red didn't get put on, and it's thus:

- Sprite itself is poorly out of proportion; body looks too long and anatomy looks droopy.
- The image is way too big for the resolution of the game (and no Spyro2008, you can't just resize the sprite; it'll be made blurry otherwise and character sprites require a lot more brash attention).
- Colors are too basic; no shading and rich detail are there at all.

Rexy~ I'm not sure if you know that putdowns are not right... Please do me and yourself a favor and stop bullying people on this site.. I'm red's older sister and I have read all of your posts, I'd have to say it seems that maybe your talking about yourself when it comes to EMO'S that is a very harsh word to say to someone that has a heart of gold... I know sometimes everyone has ups/downs but remember the golden rule..."TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED..If i do see anymore post of this sort, you will definitely get reported by ME..

Ps... Do you act your age??
#44 Posted: 22:56:21 16/05/2008
Yes I DO. You just quoted me giving him "constructive criticism", which is needed if someone needs to use in order to grow as a spriter. To be honest, you shouldn't even see stuff like this - wanting a person to grow - as a putdown. It's not a putdown, it's real harassing stuff (e.g. messages that abuses one's mom) that should be treated as "putdowns" in the first place.

I'm not even talking about myself when it comes to emos at all. I'm 21 years old, I'm old and mature enough to take bad comments at face value and turn them around, and I don't mope and cry when the tiniest thing goes wrong. I take criticisms, learn from it, and become a better person, rather than deciding to live in a dream world and believing to be queen when I shouldn't be.

Plus, the "treat others the way you want to be treated" rule doesn't apply most of the time. You can be nice to people all the time, you can see that. But sometimes they do something completely wrong and we just need to be there to offer guidance. That's what was happening with your so-called "sister" - they made a sloppy sprite and we were doing everything we can to get them in the right direction.

I don't get why you don't like her receiving "criticism", when it's needed to gain experience as a spriter. (In fact, I won't be surprised if you and standard red are the same person given the similar screennames and typing style.) But still, neither Zerodius nor anyone working on the game wants to see stuff like this. Take the fact this way: Red is not a good spriter, and she wasn't needed for this particular game. She just needs to live with it and learn to improve instead of retaliating to siblings to do their dirty work. It makes them sound more immature than they already are.
#45 Posted: 23:09:02 16/05/2008
Yes I DO. You just quoted me giving him "constructive criticism", which is needed if someone needs to use in order to grow as a spriter. To be honest, you shouldn't even see stuff like this - wanting a person to grow - as a putdown. It's not a putdown, it's real harassing stuff (e.g. messages that abuses one's mom) that should be treated as "putdowns" in the first place.

I'm not even talking about myself when it comes to emos at all. I'm 21 years old, I'm old and mature enough to take bad comments at face value and turn them around, and I don't mope and cry when the tiniest thing goes wrong. I take criticisms, learn from it, and become a better person, rather than deciding to live in a dream world and believing to be queen when I shouldn't be.

Plus, the "treat others the way you want to be treated" rule doesn't apply most of the time. You can be nice to people all the time, you can see that. But sometimes they do something completely wrong and we just need to be there to offer guidance. That's what was happening with your so-called "sister" - they made a sloppy sprite and we were doing everything we can to get them in the right direction.

I don't get why you don't like her receiving "criticism", when it's needed to gain experience as a spriter. (In fact, I won't be surprised if you and standard red are the same person given the similar screennames and typing style.) But still, neither Zerodius nor anyone working on the game wants to see stuff like this. Take the fact this way: Red is not a good spriter, and she wasn't needed for this particular game. She just needs to live with it and learn to improve instead of retaliating to siblings to do their dirty work. It makes them sound more immature than they already are.

Rexy, you're going a bit far off on a ten year old. If this topic stays, I have one word to say to the both of you. Get a life.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#46 Posted: 00:25:30 17/05/2008
This topic is getting out of proportion, I recommend this be closed and contact is restricted to MSM Messenger only.

Also, rtd, while my experience in spriting is highly limited, the people who are (somewhat rudely) putting you down are bringing up some excellent points. *flees*
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#47 Posted: 03:46:19 17/05/2008 | Topic Creator
I have obtained a spriter and unless I end up greatly disappointed or that Pyrogirl suddenly stops being available for the game or wants to quit, this thread serve no more purpose.

I approve of this thread being closed.

Have a nice day everyone.
#48 Posted: 05:18:58 17/05/2008
I have obtained a spriter and unless I end up greatly disappointed or that Pyrogirl suddenly stops being available for the game or wants to quit, this thread serve no more purpose.

I approve of this thread being closed.

Have a nice day everyone.

And with that statement posted, Thanks.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me