Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Urgh... [CLOSED]
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#1 Posted: 11:53:39 25/02/2011 | Topic Creator
I've seen a lot of people everywhere saying thigs like "I wish Insomniac would buy Spyro back from Activision!" Well, Insomniac NEVER owned Spyro's rights. They only developed the first three games. UNIVERSAL owned Spyro until AHT, when Sierra took ahold, then near the end of DoTD, Activision stepped in. Here is a proper list of such info...
  • We all know now that Universal owned Spyro for the first three games. These were developed by Insomniac, of course.
  • When Insomniac were out of the team after Year of The Dragon, Digital Eclipse jumped in, creating Season of Ice, Season of Flame, and Adventure. They may have also developed Fusion- I can't recall properly- But that isn't a loved game anyway, so you probably won't care about that.
  • Something I should have mentioned a few seconds ago, Equinoxe/Check Six made Enter The Dragonfly, around the time Flame was released. *hides behind sheild*
  • Universal gave up the rights to Sierra(Who were owned by Vivendi, so I guess you could say Vivendi owned Syro a bit). They made Eurocom develop A Hero's Tail and Amaze Entertainment create Shadow Legacy.
  • A New Beginning's rights were owned by Sierra still. The console version was quite obviously developed by Krome, while the GBA and DS versions were made by Krome(again) and Amaze(again).
  • TEN's console version was made by Krome again, and the DS and GBA versions were both made by Amaze, again.
  • Here's a tricky one! Not really. Estranges Libellius made Dawn's console version while Tantalus developed the DS version. The rights were still Sierra's, obviously, but Activision bought them when the game was nearly released.

Side note(thanks CAV): Activision is owned by Activision Blizzard, which in turn is owned (52%) by Vivendi. Universal Interactive Studios was merged with Activision. So while Activision is essentially the same company as Universal, you could say they were absorbed and forgotten like Sierra.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:14:06 25/02/2011 by GamingMaster_76
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#2 Posted: 12:18:02 25/02/2011
I also see stuff on YouTube like "NO MATTER HOW HARD WE TRY ACTIVISION WON'T GIVE SPYRO BACK TO INSOMNIAC!" It makes me laugh, because nothing in that sentence is correct. smilie
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#3 Posted: 12:23:31 25/02/2011
I lol so hard at their comments. xD

But some people just like to imagine Insomniac keeping the series, like me. It hurts when my imagination gets crushed constantly. D:
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
InsomDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 6823
#4 Posted: 13:23:05 25/02/2011
I think that it is worth pointing out that Sierra Entertainment was a subsidiary of Vivendi Games (who used to be Universal Interactive Studios before Vivendi bought Universal).

But yeah, Insomniac never owned Spyro. It's really annoying that 90% of people don't know this and it's the same issue with Naughty Dog and Crash Bandicoot. >.>

EDIT: Here is a thing to consider. Insomniac Games could potentially make a Spyro game for Activision.

Insomniac Games is an independent developer, nobody owns them. They are actually making a multiplatform game with EA Partners. They could (if they wanted to*) work with Activision.

*Very unlikely, I know and to be honest I don't want them to. They should just stick with Ratchet & Clank and new projects.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:37:11 25/02/2011 by InsomDog
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#5 Posted: 13:36:16 25/02/2011
Yeah I don't see why fans fail to see that Insomniac only made the Spyro games and never owned it.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Cynder985 Ripto Gems: 425
#6 Posted: 18:32:57 25/02/2011
Seriously, Insomniac can't make Spyro games again. They have reasons why and Universal literally owns the franchise, not Insomniac. smilie

Fans need to realize the facts, but of course, they never will. smilie
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#7 Posted: 19:54:34 25/02/2011
You've got it a little off. Universal still owns Spyro, they've just changed the name of their gaming division.

Universal Interactive Studios is Vivendi Universal Games is Sierra Entertainment is Activision is still Universal.

But, yeah, I get tired of people whining for Insomniac to "take Spyro back". They don't have a choice in the matter and Universal isn't going to pay them what it would now cost for them to get back into Spyro. Even if they did, almost no one from the old Spyro team is still working at the studio.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#8 Posted: 20:47:09 25/02/2011
It also must be noted that Activision cannot let Insomniac make the game even if both sides wanted to. Insomniac is owned by Sony Computer Entertainment.

Quote: Razz
You've got it a little off. Universal still owns Spyro, they've just changed the name of their gaming division.

Universal Interactive Studios is Vivendi Universal Games is Sierra Entertainment is Activision is still Universal.

Ok. Activision is owned by Activision Blizzard, which in turn is owned (52%) by Vivendi. Universal Interactive Studios was merged with Activision. Therefore, while you are partly right, it's safe to say that Universal Interactive no longer exists, as it has been absorbed, much like Sierra.

Also it must be noted that Universal is in turn own by Vivendi. And since Vivendi only owns Universal music, you can say that Universal no longer holds the franchise. Rather, Vivendi does, since it owns Activision Blizzard, which owns Activision, which owns the Spyro franchise.

It's confusing, I know.
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#9 Posted: 21:09:08 25/02/2011
I think sierra was owned by universal.
#10 Posted: 21:48:23 25/02/2011
Quote: CAV

Quote: Razz

Ok. Activision is owned by Activision Blizzard, which in turn is owned (52%) by Vivendi. Universal Interactive Studios was merged with Activision. Therefore, while you are partly right, it's safe to say that Universal Interactive no longer exists, as it has been absorbed, much like Sierra.

Also it must be noted that Universal is in turn own by Vivendi. And since Vivendi only owns Universal music, you can say that Universal no longer holds the franchise. Rather, Vivendi does, since it owns Activision Blizzard, which owns Activision, which owns the Spyro franchise.

It's confusing, I know.

Pretty much sums it up.

Quote: CAV

It also must be noted that Activision cannot let Insomniac make the game even if both sides wanted to. Insomniac is owned by Sony Computer Entertainment.

Quote: InsomDog

Insomniac Games is an independent developer, nobody owns them. They are actually making a multiplatform game with EA Partners. They could (if they wanted to*) work with Activision.
#11 Posted: 23:03:16 25/02/2011

I recall Insomniac being a second party developer owned by Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WS).

Quote: spyrocrash
I think sierra was owned by universal.

Sierra was owned by Vivendi.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:05:00 25/02/2011 by CAV
#12 Posted: 00:24:09 26/02/2011
Nope, 100% independent.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#13 Posted: 04:32:04 26/02/2011

And thank Mangon that that's the way it is! ^.^
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#14 Posted: 05:01:34 26/02/2011

Hm....you learn something new every day.

Well still, they don't want to make any more Spyro games.
#15 Posted: 20:32:50 11/03/2011
And you know what's awkward for the fans who flaming Activision for "ruining Spyro" and keep wanting Insomniac back?

They're really flaming on the very publisher who created the Spyro series when Insomniac Games made the first three Spyro games and who had merged with Activision. Universal Interactive owned Spyro back then, then they changed their name to Vivendi Games, and soon merged with Activision since 2008.

Not only are they flaming on Activision, they're also really flaming on Universal Interactive, the real creator of the Spyro series, as well since the publisher who merged with Activision.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:37:00 11/03/2011 by Aura24
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#16 Posted: 20:41:48 11/03/2011
...If Universal techniqually still own Spyro, why doesn't he feature in the Universal theme park? *Dumb question is dumb*
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
#17 Posted: 20:45:33 11/03/2011
He's featured only in games, not in movies obviously..
---
#18 Posted: 20:48:55 11/03/2011
Like I said Aura, Universal Interactive doesn't really exist. It's just Activision. Although I do understand where you would get that idea.
#19 Posted: 23:24:00 11/03/2011
The employees of Vivendi Games are still in Activision's game department, along with Sierra Entertainment's staff.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me