Page 1 of 1
is this game good or bad? [CLOSED]
aran Emerald Sparx Gems: 4040
#1 Posted: 18:31:45 24/06/2010 | Topic Creator
i want to buy this game so is it a must buy or is it such a bad game i must destroy it when i see it. plz tell me if it is a good or bad game and what is your all time favorite spyro game. thank u so much for reading this
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#2 Posted: 19:55:27 24/06/2010
It's not the best Spyro game, but it is fun. I'd give it a 6/10. And my favorite is Dawn of the Dragon (Please don't hate me!).
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
InsomDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 6823
#3 Posted: 21:50:57 24/06/2010
Get it, this is a really good game.
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#4 Posted: 21:52:00 24/06/2010
I honestly think this game is a must buy. 9/10 easy.
And my all-time fave is either YOTD/RR (Insomniac are amazing).
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
aran Emerald Sparx Gems: 4040
#5 Posted: 21:55:42 24/06/2010 | Topic Creator
thank u for responding
crazyspyrofan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1042
#6 Posted: 04:28:25 25/06/2010
Yes this is a very good game.It is proboly my third favorite Spyro game.It is awesome,trust me.
---
"This twisted game needs to be reset,"-Solo Wing Pixy,Ace Combat Zero.
Doomdrao Platinum Sparx Gems: 6678
#7 Posted: 12:05:28 25/06/2010
I agree this game is a must buy. It's where Spyro started and to me, it doesn't get any better than the Insomniac Spyro
---
I'd wait a fresh minuteMe, To a Co-Worker about Greggs Bakery Steak Bakes
Cynder46 Blue Sparx Gems: 782
#8 Posted: 14:30:24 25/06/2010
All of the original trilogy is brilliant. You must buy them, they're classics.
gaul2 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1796
#9 Posted: 15:52:42 25/06/2010
99.9/100
---
Bye Darkspyro! ;(
Feather Dragon Green Sparx Gems: 146
#10 Posted: 16:48:21 29/06/2010
I noticed no one listed any goods/bads about the game... Anyway...

For me, this is the best game, I like some of the others, but this is where the game started and it doesn't really get better than the originals. Why?

The level design is amazing, clever and complex. It's a treasure hunting game so you need a clever level design, especially levels like Tree Tops or Haunted Castle that might take ages to figure out so the game offers a good challenge, but it's a pretty fair one and once you discover all the ins and outs it's really fun to try and speedrun - if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not, but I like just replaying it. It has an excellent feel to it, the difficulty curve is fair, except the flying levels where Magic Flight is harder than the two that come after it specifically because there's barely an order of enemies to go off of and it took me forever to master that level but it doesn't detract from the game's charm.

The characters and voice acting are, for the most part, as good as it gets. The cut scenes aren't very intrusive and you can expect a short one every time you free a dragon, although sometimes the script writing is lazy and all they say is "Thank you for releasing me", sometimes in some awful squeaky voice, but usually they have some advice or humorous remark for you. Either way, it doesn't break the flow, it's charming and sometimes even fun to see what they're going to say. (Unless you're like me and have played this game to death and KNOW what they're going to say. smilie)

The game is stable. Really, it is. There's barely any glitches whatsoever, it's solid. Trust me, I've tried. Although if you're skilled enough you can bypass the barrier on some of the flying levels, but most other glitches will just get you killed, except for one place in Dark Passage where you can stand on the water without drowning. It's not really game-breaking though since you'd have to be retarded just to fall in by accident. (I found out because I wanted to see what would happen if I died in certain places, it's known to cause problems on some games *coughenterthedragonflycough* and I like 'bug testing' mine to see where the advantages are. There are none, so you really need to master the game without shortcuts.)

The levels aren't linear at all, except the bosses, but they still have their secret areas. The game is full of exploring and hidden places and different collectibles such as gems and eggs, the gems don't function like on DotD or the LOS series, they're actually collectibles, there's a certain amount and you need to find a total in every level. (The amount per level increases as the game progresses.) Sparx is your health, if you don't know why he's even in the games to begin with, and he goes through three fazes: Gold, blue, and green, and if you get hit when he's green, he dies. (You can revive him with butterflies, which is also how you heal him) but losing him has a downside - he picks up gems for you and brings them to you, without him, you need to weave around picking them up yourself. It can slow the pace of the game so it's a pretty fitting punishment and if you're careful you shouldn't lose him that often until the higher levels.

Now for some bad things...

This isn't really a downside, but if you're used to games like DotD or even the other two sequels, which basically hold your hand all the way through them, this game will be a huge slap to the face because there are barely any substantial hints besides tips on how to do things at the beginning of the game but after, say, the third level, the dragons' 'tips' become useless because you've probably already discovered some dangers they 'warn' you about. I think it's like this on purpose so you have to figure the game out yourself without some stupid thing like a tutorial on how to blink and breath at the same time hovering over you, but it freaks some players out the first time. The game is still pretty straightforward and you'll still get an idea on what you need to do to progress through the game and fight the final boss. The game will always tell you what your goal is, but don't expect Sparx to point you to the gems like on Spyro 2 or 3.

Another downside is the flying levels are purely trial-and-error. If you remember Spyro 2 or 3, they're like that. If not, they're timed obstacles where you need to find eight of each target, there are four different ones per flying level, before time runs out. It requires predicting a pattern and it's not always straightforward. Some of those levels are really hard, I know every pattern and I still get screwed and I've been playing this game since the year it came out. It's going to be frustrating, especially since there's no hints like on YotD or EtD but if you play enough you should see what you need to do.

You can't save in the menu, you need to find a dragon's pedestal, you can't hover with triangle, you'll just drop like a stone, but pressing square makes Spyro charge in flight which actually gives you a little extra distance at the same height so it serves the same purpose, you don't learn new powers but there are super charge ramps in the third level up and there's no swimming at all. In fact, water will kill you. If it's shallow and there's an easy exit it'll just take away a Sparx but if it's deep or in a pit you can't escape it's instant death.

Sorry if that's long, I hope you aren't too turned off by this. I, personally, give this game an infinite/10 but that's just me. =)
---
Aim high in life but watch out for flying boxes!
My tips for RP.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:49:34 29/06/2010 by Feather Dragon
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#11 Posted: 16:55:36 29/06/2010
Awesome review : ) I agree to pretty much all of that.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
pony_girl24 Blue Sparx Gems: 742
#12 Posted: 19:46:37 26/09/2010
GET IT! It is da bomb/
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#13 Posted: 20:20:03 26/09/2010
Off-topic thing brought up by feather dragon; as long as you read the manual, there will be no system shocks. Seriously, why does no one read the freakin' manual anymore?
---
Eh.
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#14 Posted: 03:17:35 27/09/2010
Here's what I think: This is the best Spyro game of all of them. Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! smilie
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
Thunderdragon14 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8087
#15 Posted: 06:58:10 27/09/2010
im not so much of a old spyro fan but if u like the other old spyro games i recomend u get this game
---
Quote: Alydol
go back to whining about your fish
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me