Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Observations on Cynder (SPOILERS!) [CLOSED]
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#1 Posted: 12:48:55 29/12/2007 | Topic Creator
So, I had this theory about Cynder and it's possible that the dragon generator at Spyro's Lair has proved me right.

For a long time now, I've suspected that black is not Cynder's natural hide color. All the dragons we've seen in the series so far have eyes that match their main element and skin color. Spyro has purple eyes, Ignitus' are reddish-orange, etc. Cynder's eyes are green. The dragon generator has no option for a black female dragon at all, which leads me to suspect that it is not a natural color for females, at the very least.

It's possible that her close connection with the Dark Master and his people has stained her hide black. In time, she might get her original colors back, or the stain may be permanent.

It's hard to say what her original color might have been since she hasn't shown any skill with any particular element so far. With green eyes, she might be an earth dragon (I think Terrador's eyes were green...), or she could be a kind of dragon we don't know about.

This might also be a characteristic of female dragons and have nothing to do with her upbringing. All the dragons but Cynder are male, so maybe the females are different not just in horn and body shape but in color patterns.

What do you guys think? And what do you think her original color might have been (if you think I'm on to something, that is)?
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13885
#2 Posted: 13:22:32 29/12/2007
I think the reason there's no black female dragon (there is a male one) is that they don't want everyone looking exactly like Cynder, or Spyro for the male dragons as there's no purple male one.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
Komodo Blue Sparx Gems: 758
#3 Posted: 14:41:11 29/12/2007
I've always assumed Cynder was some sort counter from the Dark Master to the "purple prophecy". A Yang to the Ying. A "dark prohecy" if you will.
---
I traded my soul for a muffin, and you know what? It was delicious.
EternalSpyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#4 Posted: 18:04:36 29/12/2007
We can really tell if there are more female dragons in the next game.
---
As the Night of Eternal Darkness apporaches, Spyro is haunted by .... Maps of the U.S. and Canada, and traffic capability for just $216.76 from Amazon.com
Twilight Blue Sparx Gems: 742
#5 Posted: 23:09:43 29/12/2007
I doubt if black is a natural colour for any dragon. I've always thought that dark magics stain you black for as long as they flow through your veins. So I agree with you Razz. I have no idea what Cynder's original colour is, was or would have been but I think she's stuck black now.
---
As long as I don't have to do anything, I'm kool with it.
Zerodius Yellow Sparx Gems: 1194
#6 Posted: 06:52:44 30/12/2007
I instead agree with Dark52. And well, I will say it here and now: the dragon generator was obviously very lazily made.

I mean... everyone as Spyro and Cynder clones with a choice of 4-5 preset palettes and only a few select look options?

I mean... come on!
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#7 Posted: 07:08:11 30/12/2007
Or they assume all dragons have the same body shape at that age. More colors would be nice, but I think the web makers there are kept very busy.
#8 Posted: 10:02:19 30/12/2007
I agreed about black not being a natural for dragons. I also agree with Dark52 about the no black fems on S-L.
---
#9 Posted: 10:53:10 30/12/2007 | Topic Creator
Tis true, the dragon generator doesn't have many options, but it does give us some clues about dragon kind in general. From what I've seen, the options you are given are based on the elements and kinds of dragons that are in the game itself. Which means that there was at least one female purple dragon of legend at some point. smilie

Seeing that Spyro turned black himself when he was hit with the Soul Beam, it makes more and more sense that black is an unnatural color. Cynder recognized what was happening to him the moment she saw it, too, suggesting that she's enduring something similar to what Spyro went through (though for a much greater period of time with probably reduced magic; Spyro is lucky she knocked him out of that Soul Beam when she did).
#10 Posted: 20:51:56 30/12/2007
Their is male black dragon as well, which makes me think that there really is some "dark prophecy" thing going on, but I'm tired and bored so don't listen to me.
---
#11 Posted: 21:38:37 30/12/2007 | Topic Creator
I recently found a female black dragon in the generator. Was that a recent add-on to the official site, or is it just here?
#12 Posted: 21:43:52 30/12/2007
Well the purple one added here was not on the offical site so I think it is just here, or it is and is just not avalible.
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13885
#13 Posted: 21:55:40 30/12/2007
Nah I added it myself, along with a purple male one.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
#14 Posted: 00:02:25 31/12/2007 | Topic Creator
Ooooh. Cool! Thanks for clearing that up, Dark52. smilie I was starting to think my whole theory was unraveling before my eyes. smilie
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#15 Posted: 20:50:53 31/12/2007
I personally thing that theory was kinda... funny... in an odd way. >.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#16 Posted: 23:12:52 31/12/2007 | Topic Creator
Heh, well, that's me and my theories for ya. smilie I tend to notice the little things that even the game designers might not have caught and then I speculate them to death.
SpyroxCynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1906
#17 Posted: 23:39:21 31/12/2007
She's probably black because she is the 'bad guy' in ANB.
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
#18 Posted: 05:49:53 01/01/2008
Either way I don't care, black's a hot colour anyway.
---
Cynderlightlife Fodder
#19 Posted: 11:03:03 02/01/2008
Although there is no strong reason as to why and if the information I've read is true, in some dragon books (I forgot the name, but it's not just "Dragonology". There are others.) it states that black is a common colour for a european dragon (which Spyro and Cynder relate to most) but purple is in the uncommon list. I will support everyone's theory, though, as it is possible for Cynder to be a dragon of ANY element.

My own opinion would have something to do with the marking on her head. They are of a blue colour, I beleive, and maybe-but I cannot predict- they will reveal that Cynder can, indeed, be a dragon of two elements due to her corrupton.
zephyr Fodder
#20 Posted: 23:49:28 08/01/2008
well spyro and cynder are siblings because they both come from the same brood of eggs. in other words they both share the same mother.
#21 Posted: 00:54:31 09/01/2008
^ No no no. Krome actually jumped in and said they are not related in any way. Thinking like that, all dragons are siblings.
---
#22 Posted: 01:16:14 09/01/2008
Quote: zephyr
well spyro and cynder are siblings because they both come from the same brood of eggs. in other words they both share the same mother.

Quote: Chris Wilson

Hi Everyone,

I am part of The Legend of Spyro production team here at Sierra and I noticed that there was some question as to whether Spyro and Cynder were meant to be siblings and the answer is 'no'. If in any of the Eternal Night releases it suggests that they are related, it was an oversight and purely unintentional. Though Spyro and Cynder were both born in the Year of the Dragon and are from the same batch of eggs, they are not meant to be brother and sister. I aplogize if there was any confusion on this matter and I hope that you are all enjoying the latest entry in the series. We do read your comments and we really appreciate all of your feedback and dedication. Happy gaming!

Best,

Chris Wilson

Source: http://forums.vgames.com/messa...D=609164#609164

Chris Wilson is the creative director for the game.
#23 Posted: 01:46:59 09/01/2008
They're not meant to be siblings. It just wouldn't string in right with this whole dark plot. <.<;
---
Spyrothelegend Yellow Sparx Gems: 1105
#24 Posted: 00:31:40 21/01/2008
Black is her natural colour because in ANB you could see that her egg was black
---
I am theneopetmaster on Deviant Art and my fav character issmilie (and I'm a girl)
#25 Posted: 00:35:47 22/01/2008 | Topic Creator
That is some pretty strong evidence for it. Spyro's egg was purple, after all. Maybe female dragons are just that different, or Cynder doesn't have an element. It could be the green eyes that are the mutation instead of her black coloring.
#26 Posted: 01:30:15 22/01/2008
I think her eyes are green because it makes her look friendly because she would look evil if she had black eyes
---
I am theneopetmaster on Deviant Art and my fav character issmilie (and I'm a girl)
#27 Posted: 02:09:06 22/01/2008 | Topic Creator
Well, technically, she is a very dark blue.
#28 Posted: 03:31:14 22/01/2008
Yes you are right
---
#29 Posted: 01:57:03 24/01/2008
Her green eye sort of reminds me of Gaul's eye... >.>
---
#30 Posted: 20:43:48 24/01/2008 | Topic Creator
Holy crud, you're right! o.O Dang, HIR, now I'm going to be thinking about that for days. smilie Gaul's eye appears to be a green gem, though. I shudder to think how he got it. o.O
#31 Posted: 21:22:02 24/01/2008
It wasn't exactly my discovery... rather, I believe Zerodius made the observation, and I quote...

Cynder's eyes glowed in the exact same green color as Gaul's right eye. The exact same green, the exact same glow, the exact same power dormant within. The power... it had never left Cynder's body. She had simply hid back in the form of a hatchling but deep down, she never changed. She was still the Dark Master's monster... and it now became obvious that she will always be his monster.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3790072/5/Prophecy And here's the evidence. After all, using evidence is one of my rules.
---
#32 Posted: 22:20:48 24/01/2008 | Topic Creator
Oh yeah, he told me about that story! That's pretty awesome to make that connection with Cynder. smilie If I hadn't already said in my short story that her eyes are naturally that color, I'd love to play some with that idea.

In the case of Gaul's eye, I'm still bouncing around two or three ideas. I'm fond of the idea that he had it before he met the Dark Master and had discovered a few things on his own about the power of green gems, but his association with the DM increased his knowledge and power.
zephyr Fodder
#33 Posted: 19:09:48 25/01/2008
cynder is spyro's sister.
Zerodius Yellow Sparx Gems: 1194
#34 Posted: 21:05:05 25/01/2008
OK... first, I'm flattered to see someone quote my stuff and yeah, it is true ; Cynder and Gaul share the green eye syndrome thing.

As to Zephyr... well, not only did you post twice but your statement is false.

Amaze Entertainment has stated that saying that Cynder is Spyro's sister in the GBA version is a mistake and that the game was already ready for release/being released when they realized the mistake.

Krome has also confirmed that Spyro and Cynder are not related.

Spyro and Cynder are not siblings. Stop going around saying they are.
#35 Posted: 21:49:16 25/01/2008
...please? I'll give you a cookie. ;>.>
---
zephyr Fodder
#36 Posted: 23:25:24 25/01/2008
It wasn't meant for them to be siblings at first. even if it was a mistake they are now officialy siblings and truth be told I like that they are siblings.
#37 Posted: 01:17:56 26/01/2008 | Topic Creator
You can like it as much as you wish, Zephyr, but it is not official. It is an official mistake, yes. But that was corrected. Console trumps hand held. Chris Wilson said it was an error, Amaze said it was an error. Stop insisting it isn't.
#38 Posted: 02:28:54 26/01/2008
Listen... Amaze OFFICIALLY STATED THAT THEY WERE COMPLETELY WRONG.

But it's the GBA game... people obviously didn't pay as much attention as they did to the console games. You are a different person, obviously. >.>
---
zephyr Fodder
#39 Posted: 03:22:44 27/01/2008
And here I thought there was hope I guess not. I suppose then that this might be my last post since my love for the series has or will be shattered. not to mention I liked the idea of them being siblings but I guess that was a mistake as well.
#40 Posted: 05:27:47 27/01/2008 | Topic Creator
You can still like the idea of them being siblings, just realize that it is not official in any way and stop trying to convince us of something that is not true. That's what alternate universes are for.
zephyr Fodder
#41 Posted: 13:33:01 27/01/2008
thanks.
SpyroTheDragon Green Sparx Gems: 411
#42 Posted: 13:01:32 28/01/2008
About the thing with cynders element; in ANB when you fight her for the final time, she brathes fire and uses the fire fury, and Dark52 writes in the charakter guide that she uses the "shaddow fire"-element which to me sounds wery plausible, but of course that was when she was evil so it could be an ability the dark master had given her... This is just what i think, but i also think that you all got some pretty interesting theories.
---
Well what can i say?! I'm a Spyro-gamer, and love every minute of it!!!...smilie
#43 Posted: 14:05:05 28/01/2008 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I was under the impression that Cynder's ability to breathe fire was a gift from the Dark Master and not her natural ability.
SpyroTheDragon Green Sparx Gems: 411
#44 Posted: 14:11:05 28/01/2008
yes but in the last end we can only hope to get some answers in the next game, untill then the only thing we really can do is guessing...smilie
---
Well what can i say?! I'm a Spyro-gamer, and love every minute of it!!!...smilie
zephyr Fodder
#45 Posted: 08:08:34 29/01/2008
after discovering the whole thing is a possible mistake I'm just going to quit the series. well I guess I'll go watch gargoyles now.
#46 Posted: 11:21:28 29/01/2008
"Shadowfire", that name is so overused (on FF anyway) but it sounds like a great breath type, shadow x fire hybrid. I never thought of that. KOOOL!

P.S. I never ever believed Spyro and Cynder were siblings, I fought it from the beginning.
---
Last edited at 11:23:28 29/01/2008 by Twilight
#47 Posted: 16:29:14 29/01/2008 | Topic Creator
When I heard they were siblings, I almost dropped the series right then and there. I'd done so much Spyro/Cynder art and the console games have so many indicators of love between them, I was just plain furious. One rant went something like, "Why weren't they clear about this from the start?!" I was called a pervert by a few people, even, for having done art of two "siblings" together.

Thankfully, Chris Wilson and the folks at Amaze stepped in and made everything right. smilie
zephyr Fodder
#48 Posted: 19:24:03 29/01/2008
There's nothing left for me now. I loved this series so much I guess I was wrong seeing as how you said I'd be traumatized by the end of the third game. I liked the idea of spyro having a loyal sister but now I see that was a mistake. I'm so upset right now I no longer even know what there is for me to like about this series. I'm so lost. one side of me says I should drop the series while another side says otherwise.
zacoda1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1121
#49 Posted: 21:05:27 29/01/2008
Err in Anb Ignitus clearly said she was a black dragon...Black and purple dragons are speacial.....I dont think they would let you make that type of....Dragon cause everyone would pick the same becuase they like the charaters,Girls can be purple and boys can be black,This makes it a harder choice..... smilie
---
The ones with the greatest courage...Tested by All might and will...Will traverse A Farly advanced Obstacle....The test of life...
#50 Posted: 21:12:25 29/01/2008 | Topic Creator
Don't stop playing something you like just because of one thing. I'm guessing you don't have any sisters, otherwise you wouldn't be so bent out of shape over this (I have two sisters and three brothers and there's nothing worse I can think of than having to go an adventure with my sibs).

I had multiple reasons for nearly leaving the fandom at that time (burnout, being harassed by other fans, etc). The only thing that's stopping you is this one little error. Like I said, you should write a fanfic or something that does use the idea of Spyro and Cynder being related and see where it goes.

But I suppose if you're going to get this worked up over an error in a handheld game, maybe you should at least take a break from the series.
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me