Page 1 of 1
Speedrun [CLOSED]
Umbra Yellow Sparx Gems: 1072
#1 Posted: 04:15:27 06/04/2006 | Topic Creator
Lately, I've been working on a speedrun for Spyro the Dragon. In case you're still wondering, a Speed Run is when you strive to complete the game as fast a possible, using many tricks, but is restricted by a list of rules.

So, after playing and reviewing the game a couple of times, I found out the fastest route possible. However, it had many tough tricks and requires luck, so I altered the route and balanced speed and difficulty to come up with this route. I could have saved around 5 minutes total using my first route, but I will not try it this time.

------------------------------

Example:
level name...........................gems/dragons/dragon eggs

artisans home..........................68/3/0
stone hill.............................108/4/1
town square............................131/4/1
dark hollow............................63/3/0
sunny flight...........................300/0/0

peace keepers home.....................149/3/1
ice cavern.............................237/5/0
dry canyon.............................326/4/1
cliff town.............................255/3/1
doctor shemp...........................248/1/0
night flight...........................300/0/0

magic crafters home....................192/3/0
wizard peak............................265/3/0
alpine ridge...........................305/0/0 (may change)
high caves.............................288/3/0
blowhard...............................354/1/0
crystal flight.........................300/0/0

beast makers home......................136/2/0
terrance village.......................182/2/0
misty bog..............................303/4/0
tree tops..............................223/2/0
metalhead..............................151/0/0
wild flight............................300/0/0

dream weavers home.....................131/0/0
dark passage...........................322/0/0
jacques................................311/0/0
icy flight.............................300/0/0

TOTAL: 6248/50/5

------------------------------

I seem to be able to easily run through most levels, however, I still feel uncomfortable doing the Flight's. And, if you're reading dark52, I saw your post on GameFAQs and compared times with yours. Mine are terrible compared to yours. This is where I ask you if you can share some tips and routes to completing each the fastest, which will greatly benefit me in this run.

By the way, if you're curious about the rules and frequently asked questions about speedrunning, you could visit the site here:

www.speeddemosarchive.com

Don't really want to advertise here, since it's inappropriate on forums, but it's the only way to better help people understand the concepts of speedrunning. Hopefully, dark52 will read this far into the post and reply with some tips.
---
Check out my Spyro videos on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/Sizux
Last edited at 04:16:16 06/04/2006 by Umbra
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13898
#2 Posted: 15:44:34 07/04/2006
Interesting stuff, though you don't give a time for your run. I've no idea what kind of tips could help you though, most of the routes that I use are just follow one type of thing then do another, maybe getting things if they intersect paths.

Though it wouldn't help with a speed run at all, for getting good times in a speedway it's best not to even bother using the first attempt as you get a couple of seconds added on before you can even start as you fly in.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
#3 Posted: 02:39:15 09/04/2006 | Topic Creator
Well, I do intersect paths a lot. However, each attempt should be around the same time, thus have a confined pattern to which ones of complete in which order. I'd imagine collecting two at once would be the fastest, but can be hard at times.

I'm currently working on sunny flight. I've managed to beat my 1.48.52, and get 1.47.12, but that's all.
---
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13898
#4 Posted: 13:23:22 09/04/2006
Sunny Flight
Fly towards the train tunnel entrance on the right ahead, flame the train and swerve down into the chest cave. Destroy all the chests in here efficiently and fly back out, go to the left and follow the arches around till you reach the planes where you then flame them all (perfectly of course) and go through the final two arches. Then it's fly down to the train track on the left and follow it along flying into the trains and flaming them too.

Night Flight
Fly through the rings and at the end of them quickly flame the lighthouse on the right then go left a little and flame the next one. Through three arches and then swerve to the right, flame the lighthouse and swerve back to the left and through the arch. Flame the lighthouse on the right and follow them around till you've got them all. Fly through the arch ahead and swerve back around to fly through the remaining three. Fly along flaming chests to finish it off.

Crystal Flight
Go right straight away and flame the five planes that are flying past and then flame a chest just to the left of the last one. Continue flying along the reverse path of the planes flaming the chests and when you reach the end of them fly down backwards through the arch and loop back round to flame the remaining three planes straight away. Now fly on through the arch up ahead and again through another before going through the rings and then the remaining arches. At the end of the arches swoop off to the left and flame the final two chests.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
Last edited at 14:29:42 10/04/2006 by dark52
#5 Posted: 05:33:41 10/04/2006 | Topic Creator
Alright, thanks. I'll try that out later.

Here are my times for the other Flights:

Night Flight: 1:14.34
Crystal Flight: 1:08.12
Wild Flight: 1:07.87
Icy Flight: 1:14.37

Also, there is a new post in the Spyro the Dragon GameFAQs Flight topic. The guy there gives a route for each flight, which is quite similar to yours. If you could, compare yours and give me any more advice you can. Thanks.
---
Toastie Green Sparx Gems: 132
#6 Posted: 00:07:34 25/04/2006
I think tahts just confusing!!!! n e 1 else think that or am i just dumm lol!~
stephsmells Green Sparx Gems: 128
#7 Posted: 12:02:14 21/06/2006
i have no idea how to find Capano i charged like this sit says and went into a blank wall i have done everything but and it's driving me mental how do i get him
Jacques12 Red Sparx Gems: 72
#8 Posted: 02:47:30 28/08/2007
Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6HiGDnqWQ0. It's what helped me get my 120%. Insomniac made it too easy.
---
Hi!
Spyro pro 2 Red Sparx Gems: 42
#9 Posted: 00:50:16 30/08/2007
Here is the time i got while doing the flights
Sunny flight: 59 seconds
Night flight: 1 min and 3 seconds
Crystal flight: 1 min and 1 second
Wild flight: 34 seconds (It was to easy)
Icy flight: 11 seconds (it was hard luckly i made it lol)
also if you are wondering how to get to sunny flight step on all the stone by the waterfall
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me