Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > The "Legend" reboot a big mistake
Page 1 of 1
The "Legend" reboot a big mistake [CLOSED]
Phantom 69 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1624
#1 Posted: 23:12:12 08/06/2009 | Topic Creator
In my opinion sierra made a big mistake about the legend series, they should of kept going of the original instead, cause with only a trilogy done, people are talking about if another reboot comes out, we'll lose more fans, and if they continue the legend series, and they said DotD is thier last of the legend series, that will be a stupid idea they made cause the series was a complete waste of time, It's either reboot (another spyro series) or redo (do the original spyro games (1998-2005) with a fresh new style)

p.s. ok while it lasted, the legend story was a bit bland, and short, from a scale 1-10 i give the series a 4.5

p.s.s. im not a spyro hater, but truely he is falling down fast.
---
T.E.O.M.E.I.M.F.: The Enemy Of My Enemy Is My Friend.
http://www.youtube.com/ThePhantomKing
Spyro2008 Ripto Gems: 1353
#2 Posted: 00:03:19 09/06/2009
Quote: Phantom 69
In my opinion sierra made a big mistake about the legend series, they should of kept going of the original instead, cause with only a trilogy done, people are talking about if another reboot comes out, we'll lose more fans, and if they continue the legend series, and they said DotD is thier last of the legend series, that will be a stupid idea they made cause the series was a complete waste of time, It's either reboot (another spyro series) or redo (do the original spyro games (1998-2005) with a fresh new style)

p.s. ok while it lasted, the legend story was a bit bland, and short, from a scale 1-10 i give the series a 4.5

TloS is what KILLED SPYRO imo.
sarcothelegend Ripto Gems: 13
#3 Posted: 00:07:14 09/06/2009
Imsorry i disagree it saved spyro from monotony of old games and glitches. Eternal night and dotd werent as good as TloS tho.
Elazar Blue Sparx Gems: 536
#4 Posted: 00:11:38 09/06/2009
Quote: sarcothelegend
Imsorry i disagree it saved spyro from monotony of old games and glitches. Eternal night and dotd werent as good as TloS tho.

Eternal Night and DoTD are part of TLoS. Hate to break it to yah... One thing TLoS did though was break through some new Technology into spyro which will help future games. So they aren't a total lost, and I thought they were pretty good for the most part.
sarcothelegend Ripto Gems: 13
#5 Posted: 00:17:49 09/06/2009
sorryi was counting only ANB. Yeah they can learn from mistakes.
BlackDragonAJ89 Green Sparx Gems: 480
#6 Posted: 01:14:31 09/06/2009
Games should have NEVER gone 3D! 3D graphics horribly rob away the quality that could have been saved for a good story line or innovative gameplay, or allowed more room for wonderfully done music. Why do companies have to make big ass graphics for anyway?

With that said, this topic makes is just moar whining that's not needed.
---
"Never argue with a fool; some people can't tell the difference."smilie
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#7 Posted: 01:19:34 09/06/2009
I have to disagree. If it wasn't for the reboot, they would've stopped making Spyro games, and I know some of you would rather have that than allow the new Spyro games to continue.

We don't need any more flame wars or whining about TLoS, and I got a feeling that this topic will have a flame war sooner or later. We all have our own opinions of the reboot.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:32:54 09/06/2009 by Aura24
Cloudtail4ever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1818
#8 Posted: 02:39:05 09/06/2009
Quote: BlackDragonAJ89
Games should have NEVER gone 3D! 3D graphics horribly rob away the quality that could have been saved for a good story line or innovative gameplay, or allowed more room for wonderfully done music. Why do companies have to make big ass graphics for anyway?

Because to a lot of us, graphics mean a lot. And while they aren't too important to the story and all, they make it a lot more enjoyable, and are just a good add on. TLoS does NOT have good graphics, though >.>
Plus, every single game I have with great graphics has been an amazing game. I dunno what you've been playing. Of course, you're still stuck in the 80's, so I can see why you'd make that statement.

I do agree with the whining, though. Aren't there enough "I Love TLoS/I Hate TLoS!" topics yet?
---
"Man, if mom could see me now... We'd have zombies on top of everything else."
#9 Posted: 04:45:08 09/06/2009
Quote: Cloudtail4ever
Quote: BlackDragonAJ89

Because to a lot of us, graphics mean a lot. And while they aren't too important to the story and all, they make it a lot more enjoyable, and are just a good add on. TLoS does NOT have good graphics, though >.>
Plus, every single game I have with great graphics has been an amazing game. I dunno what you've been playing. Of course, you're still stuck in the 80's, so I can see why you'd make that statement.

I do agree with the whining, though. Aren't there enough "I Love TLoS/I Hate TLoS!" topics yet?

Well, not that I got your attention some how (and I take the whole "stuck in the 80s" as a compliment XP ), this is indeed, driving me over the edge over the whole idea.

Instead of an over-inflated comparison, I'm posting the watered down version:

Both the originals and the legends have their pros and cons. Being that I am biased towards 90s gaming, I give my likings towards the legends, BUT, I realize that originals are still there, and if I were to make a new Spyro game, would figure a way to employ elements of both versions in order to create a game for all to enjoy.

(end condensed version of those ballooned rants)

I am well aware that there are some people who wish the legends were just an Urban Legend of Zelda, but face it, Sierra made them, they want to stick to them, and they'll use them. Being that Sierra is now merged with Activision (which puts fear into me because truth is, Activision is a jerkass company), they might be able to make something incredibly good that they couldn't do because of lack of funds, time, and ability. For all we know, they could use something the LOS story line, but with the gameplay of the originals (that, as I stated several times before, was the big downfall of the originals; the lacking story and character development made the game get tiresome after a while, and the LOS trilogy can be completed in less than a week because it's mostly story and character development).

See, I said something both nasty and nice about both sides.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Cloudtail4ever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1818
#10 Posted: 05:57:27 09/06/2009
After reading what you said, mixing the originals and the legends...I'm not sure WHAT I want from Spyro anymore. I actually find the Legends funner than the Originals, but neither were very fun for me.
How about something new for gameplay? That'd be a nice Spyro change.

I wasn't saying the 80's thing as an insult, I was saying it because that's how you seem to sound.
---
"Man, if mom could see me now... We'd have zombies on top of everything else."
Ghakimx Emerald Sparx Gems: 4064
#11 Posted: 09:11:07 09/06/2009
I'd like if they made an originals reboot that also has a new storyline, but same characters and quirkiness.
Cynder_543 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1277
#12 Posted: 09:35:53 09/06/2009
Looks like another topic full of hate.... I do agree, TLOS was a waist off time. It's story line is lame and it belongs in a trash can. But still, I think the fighting over Originals and TLOS should now end.... Same goes for "TLOS IS DA BEST GAME EVA!!!" topics.
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:39:58 09/06/2009 by Cynder_543
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#13 Posted: 09:43:34 09/06/2009
Pffft Spyro has been dead to me since A Heroes Tail
Robo-Spyro Platinum Sparx Gems: 5908
#14 Posted: 11:03:11 09/06/2009
Quote: Spyro2008

TloS is what KILLED SPYRO imo.

It's not like the old series don't exist anymore, don't be so dramatic.
---
no i will not write a signature for you
#15 Posted: 11:42:45 09/06/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: Aura24
I have to disagree. If it wasn't for the reboot, they would've stopped making Spyro games, and I know some of you would rather have that than allow the new Spyro games to continue.

We don't need any more flame wars or whining about TLoS, and I got a feeling that this topic will have a flame war sooner or later. We all have our own opinions of the reboot.

Oh, I'm not trying to start any wars, I just want to see people's opinions on the legend series, not to be a copy or any thing, but if the "legend" series, had some "zelda" elements in it, gameplay would of been alot better, and story would of been longer, but the storyline could stay as it was, i wouldnt of mind waiting 3 or 4 years of a spyro game with some zelda elements in it.
---
#16 Posted: 16:09:15 09/06/2009
I see what you mean.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Tango Gold Sparx Gems: 2076
#17 Posted: 18:26:24 09/06/2009
I.Hate.You.

WHY do you stupid people have to bring up ANOTHER topic about Tlos being rubbsih. It makes yous bad as the games.

Case closed.
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#18 Posted: 19:06:01 09/06/2009
... they said DotD is thier last of the legend series, that will be a stupid idea they made cause the series was a complete waste of time...

That does not mean that they will not continue from where DotD left off, it just means that trilogy is over. Since Spyro game sales have increased during the Legend trilogy, it was a good move from a business perspective.
Eragon25 Gold Sparx Gems: 2019
#19 Posted: 19:33:55 09/06/2009
TLoS was good in my opinion,but the originals are better.another original would be pointless unless Insomniac made it.if they didn't,then there'd be no point in getting it.
#20 Posted: 19:36:43 09/06/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: Gwenio
... they said DotD is thier last of the legend series, that will be a stupid idea they made cause the series was a complete waste of time...

That does not mean that they will not continue from where DotD left off, it just means that trilogy is over. Since Spyro game sales have increased during the Legend trilogy, it was a good move from a business perspective.

increased since when cause the series wasn't better as the first three? and sorry tangy, but this is how we feel, but like I said with a tweek of Zelda, Spyro's next games will be a success.
---
#21 Posted: 20:23:18 09/06/2009
You know what disappointed me about the Legends? It was a Sierra game, yet not everything was out to kill me. =( I wanted see Spyro get killed by a mouse just for laughs!!

Oh well, it had the good music part right though. A lot better than I thought it was going to be. Especially with the scare chord on the High Plains when you spot Cynder. XP
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
XenoSpyro Ripto Gems: 246
#22 Posted: 00:43:45 10/06/2009

Of course this is all just your opinion. I thnik everything worked out...
I used to think the reboot was a bad idea too but I got over it and thought "Hey this may actually work!" just llike I did when I found out Spyro was played by Eljiah Wood which was Frodo Baggins. (That was my complaint. smilie ) but yeah like I siad I'm over it...
#23 Posted: 03:42:01 10/06/2009
Here's one of the questions from a 2008 Gameinformer interview with Chris and Mike about the new Spyro franchise. They knew the risk of changing Spyro's universe and character.

GI: Because you ran the risk of alienating fans, was deciding to reboot the series a scary step? Or did you know from the beginning that that was really the only way to go?

Graham: Quite honestly, you know, based on the history and the way that Spyro was doing, it was either do that or we were not going to be seeing anymore games.

Wilson: So basically we were faced with the choice to retire the character, or we knew we had to do something.

Here's the link to it also: http://www.gameinformer.com/Ne...9756.htm?Page=2
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:29:41 10/06/2009 by Aura24
#24 Posted: 04:49:40 10/06/2009
I found that read quite interesting, but I think this was my favorite line:

Looking back at the previous games and looking at what his abilities were and what the world was that he existed in, it did not really seem like it made a lot of sense for what a dragon should be able to do. He was flying in planes, and riding in tanks, and doing things that maybe worked back in the pinnacle of platforming, when a lot of games where doing that, but over the years there were so many platforming games coming out that it became easy to sort of swap Spyro out for any other mascot character and the game never changed. It sort of felt like the same thing. There were your mini-games, your collecting, and whatever other random idea that whoever was working on it could come up with. So we really wanted to take a step back and create a universe for a dragon that made sense – a fantasy world.

Kids, when you plan to become video game designers, remember, attitude, rude humor, excuse plots, and too many misplaced objects along with going with the crowd will render your game a fad and a joke.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#25 Posted: 04:53:45 10/06/2009
In my opinion, I think they did the right thing. I know some of you would rather not have anymore Spyro games made, just because they changed Spyro's universe in order to continue the franchise in a new, different world.

But from looks of it, it seems they'll be continuing the Spyro games in the LoS universe, but not in the form of a trilogy.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 06:20:35 10/06/2009 by Aura24
#26 Posted: 10:49:22 10/06/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: Aura24
In my opinion, I think they did the right thing. I know some of you would rather not have anymore Spyro games made, just because they changed Spyro's universe in order to continue the franchise in a new, different world.

But from looks of it, it seems they'll be continuing the Spyro games in the LoS universe, but not in the form of a trilogy.

Oh, I want more Spyro games, I don't mind, It just need's alot more tweeking, wait I know what my problem is.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me